The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-05-2003, 09:22 PM   #1
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Massachusetts - digging up a bottomless hole, searching for something that's not there...
GaladrieloftheOlden has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via MSN to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via Yahoo to GaladrieloftheOlden
Pipe What did you think about Legolas...before the movies?

I was just wondering, before you saw the movies, what did you think about the character? Because now, after the movie, opinions have changed. Right now, most people who haven't even seen or read LotR think about it in terms of "oh, that movie with the hot blond guy". But I don't think that was the point of JRRs Legolas. What's your opinion on him as a character? Or on how most people's opinions changed after the movies? Just wondering' [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 04-05-2003, 09:36 PM   #2
Tinuviel the Nightingale
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tinuviel the Nightingale has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

In the book, I think of Legolas as a more silent, strong character that is always reliable if you need a hand. I think Orlando Bloom portrayed Legolas reasonably, but I still get the feeling that something's missing.
Also, in the book he sung more and I would have liked to hear a beautiful elven voice (not sure if Orlando Bloom can sing though). [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Tinuviel the Nightingale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2003, 10:00 PM   #3
Arawethiel
Animated Skeleton

Arawethiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I agree that Legolas seemed stronger in the novel. Although Legolas was portrayed as a loyal serious elf in the movie there was a difference in characters that I felt after I read TTT. Legolas was more a part of nature in the book than in the movie. Tolkien described him at one point as "thoughtful and silent as a young tree in a windless night" in TTT and that just is something I could not see Orlando Bloom as in the movie. Although I have to admit I thought he was cute. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

I also miss the fact that Legolas doesn't sing in the movie. It's a part of his character that's missing in the movies. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

I suppose a lot of movie Legolas fans only think of him as a "hottie" because they have never really read any of the books. People who have know there is more to Legolas than him being a cute archer.
Old 04-05-2003, 10:12 PM   #4
Adutincowen
Pile O'Bones

Adutincowen has just left Hobbiton.
what she said ^^^ [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

*~Adutincowen Whitetree~*
Adutincowen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2003, 10:13 PM   #5
Iarwain
Pugnaciously Primordial Paradox

Iarwain has just left Hobbiton.
Boots

I didn't really care about Legolas, and I care even less now. He's always just been the elf with the really good eyes to me... And then came the Orli calamity. We all mourn for the lost character that Legolas once was, or could have been.

Iarwain
Old 04-06-2003, 12:01 AM   #6
Niluial
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Niluial has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Niluial Send a message via MSN to Niluial
Silmaril

I agree with everyone! Orlando Bloom played his part well, he was a good Legolas! But yes there was something missing! In the book he was a stronger character, a wise elf, a person to rely on! But in the movie I don’t know! But something was defiantly missing! Hmm I also wander, can he sing?
Niluial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2003, 05:44 AM   #7
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I thought he was prancy. (in a good way)
Old 04-06-2003, 07:07 AM   #8
Balin999
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Balin999 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Balin999
Sting

I was rather disappointed by the movie Legolas. And after the Orli-mania I didn't even like him anymore.
In the books he is strong, sharp-sighted and well, I just liked him, though he wasn't my favourite character.
In the movie he's just a more or less good looking guy, he's nothing special, just a companion. And I think it's rather sad that there are so many people who just watch the movies because of him and don't even care about the story or the books.
And, another point, you don't really become aware of the friendship between Gimli and Legolas in the movies. In the movies, Gimli reminds me of Steve Urcle, and Legolas is his intelligent but not-so-funny companion.
So, at that point, P.J. has not done good work.

...The opposite of courage in our society is not cowardice, but conformity...

...Everything is possible, except to ski through a revolving door...
Balin999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2003, 07:20 AM   #9
Cherie Centaur
Haunting Spirit

Cherie Centaur has just left Hobbiton.
Question

OK, I know I 'm gonna get hit for this one, but I thought, in TTT, the movie Legolas was better than the book. Granted I miss the running always ahead and not wanting to stop to rest, but the whole fight with Aragorn before Helm's Deep ROCKED!! Even though it wasn't in the novel.

Anyways, to answer the topic, I thought that Legolas, before I saw the movie, was cool, though the friendship with Gimli is strange [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] . I had only read FOtR and up to Helm's Deep in TTT, when the first movie came out. After that, I admit that I joined the Bandwagon and got obsessed with Orli. Thankfully, after I read all of TTT and RotK, my obsession with Orli deminished. Now I can't stand elfy-boppers!

May Peace Find You,
Cherie

[ April 06, 2003: Message edited by: Cherie Centaur ]
Old 04-06-2003, 07:24 AM   #10
Cherie Centaur
Haunting Spirit

Cherie Centaur has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
In the books he is strong, sharp-sighted and well, I just liked him, though he wasn't my favourite character.
That's what I meant when I said "cool". Thanks, Balin99, for being more articulate than me.
Old 04-06-2003, 11:25 AM   #11
Lyra Greenleaf
The Diaphanous Dryad

Lyra Greenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I have to say that I think the films have changed so much that they are a seperate thing. As for book-Legolas I thought he was a good fighter, etc.- but a little boring! I preferred the Hobbits.

Then came the film and, call me shallow, but Orlando is gorgeous! I think his legolas stood out more from the rest of the plot for me.

I'm not saying it is better, but I don't think it's the portrayal that's changed it, I think it's the writitng. No, I can't imagine the book-Legolas saying "Shall I fetch you a box" but you can't really blame orlando Bloom for that.
“Sylphs of the forest,” I whispered. “Spirits of oak, beech and ash. Dryads of Rowan and hazel, hear us. You who have guided and guarded our every footstep, you who have sheltered our growth, we honour you."
the Forbidden Link
Lyra Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2003, 11:30 AM   #12
Catherine
Shade of Carn Dûm

Catherine has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I always thought Legolas was a cool character. But I never really had a favorite. I still don't. Even though Orlando Bloom(legolas) is really hot!
I don't think I should have had the heart to leave it."
~Merry to Haldir in Lothlórien~
Catherine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2003, 12:03 PM   #13
Balin999
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Quote:
That's what I meant when I said "cool". Thanks, Balin99, for being more articulate than me
I'm glad that i could help [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Well, the movie Legolas is ok too, but I didn't see him as the Legolas in the books. He was a little different for me. That's why I was disappointed.
And, well some may call me jealous, but I don't think that Orlando Bloom is THAT hot.

Imagine what had happened if Brad Pitt had played Legolas.

Old 04-06-2003, 12:14 PM   #14
Liriodendron
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Liriodendron has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

It's hard to remember! The book Legolas seemed older, somewhat wiser, and more distant. An "fresh" elf, selected for the fellowship to represent his species, and help in ways (sensory....sight, sound, elvish "premonitions", and of course, superior battle skills!) the others couldn't. His thoughts were often somewhere else. Movie Legolas seems a little too young more than anything. He is a little "soft spoken". (Though I like this quality in him!) There just seems to be more emphasis on hobbits in the book. (IMO)

[ April 06, 2003: Message edited by: Liriodendron ]
Old 04-06-2003, 12:25 PM   #15
Goldberry
Shade of Carn Dûm

Goldberry has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Goldberry
I thought the book-Legolas was a little . . . boring. His description was just not very full. I think in the movie, he was alright . . . still not my favorite, though. I will admit, Orlando Bloom is a really good looking guy, but the whole Orli obsession really made me not like his whole character as much. I think Orlando Bloom did pretty well, but Peter Jackson didn't develop his character all that well.
Old 04-06-2003, 02:22 PM   #16
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Eye

He's certainly more visible in the movie, but I don't see so much of a difference in the basics of his personality.

There are some incidental differences, of course, but when you get down to it, he does what Legolas would do, doesn't he? I think the main difference has to do with the fact that he looks very much like a 20-some year old kid, and when you read the book he seems older. But that's a really sticky thing about Elves, they have to look ageless and you'll never find an actor who looks that way.

As to what I thought of Legolas before the movie... *crickets chirp*... Well, he wasn't much of a rounded out character. Tolkien even neglected him completely at times (can you say "Pelennor Fields"?) He didn't have much in the way of his own personal dilemmas or agendas, so I didn't pay much attention to him.

But then again I am a hobbit-fancier, and Elves in general don't interest me much.
Old 04-06-2003, 03:47 PM   #17
merenwen
Animated Skeleton

merenwen has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

i liked legolas in the book, especially the whole snow scene thingy, about him goin to get the sun... yea neway, sorry to be a leggy fancier but i think legolas in the movie was good and he can't help it if he's really good looking [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 04-06-2003, 03:49 PM   #18
Lyra Greenleaf
The Diaphanous Dryad

Silmaril

Quote:
Imagine what had happened if Brad Pitt had played Legolas
What????????????????? Are you out of your mind?
1. He is completely non elf-like
2. He's already well known. Orli exploded because he was a newcomer
3. Not one single Tolkien fan would watch the film- I don't think I would. Brad Pitt indeed...
4. Personally I would say Orlando is better looking, but thats my opinion.

OK, so I'm not entirely sure of my point, or yours, but that just got to me. Sorry. I don't mean it personally- in fact I can't remember who posted it!
EDIT: Balin, sorry!

[ April 06, 2003: Message edited by: Lyra Greenleaf ]
“Sylphs of the forest,” I whispered. “Spirits of oak, beech and ash. Dryads of Rowan and hazel, hear us. You who have guided and guarded our every footstep, you who have sheltered our growth, we honour you."
the Forbidden Link
Old 04-06-2003, 03:50 PM   #19
merenwen
Animated Skeleton

merenwen has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

i liked legolas in the book, especially the whole snow scene thingy, about him goin to get the sun... yea neway, sorry to be a leggy fancier but i think legolas in the movie was good and he can't help it if he's really good looking [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] but i can see why sum ppl liked him a little less after the whole obsession w/orli thing
Old 04-07-2003, 06:52 AM   #20
Balin999
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Lyra Greenleaf, it's ok, I knew that this sentence would provoke controversial opinions, that's why I posted it [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Well I think Brad Pitt would have been too mature to be an elf. Bloom looks more old and young the same time , more or less (in the movie!).

Old 04-07-2003, 09:20 AM   #21
Liamtan

Hi.
I think that Orlando Bloom is not Legolas Greenleaf from the books, but I don't have a problem with him being good looking. Am I wrong or didn't Tolkien mention that Elves are good looking? Even better looking than other races?
I thought of Legolas almost the same way I do now.
Old 04-07-2003, 02:27 PM   #22
Nuranar
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nuranar has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Nuranar
Silmaril

I always liked him in the books. It's been a habit of mine for a long time to pick a favorite minor character (as opposed to the protagonist(s)) and follow that character throughout the book. At least of the members of the Fellowship, that character was Legolas. As has been said he is hard to get a handle on, but he is more...admirable in the books. I mean, as Diamond said, it's hard to get the aura right in a movie. The visual medium is both extremely powerful and very very subtle. It's hard to make a point that everyone will see without blasting it into their faces. With words, one can give shades of character and of the awe that attends even the "lesser" of the Elves. I definitely saw him as a warrior equal to Aragorn in might and skill, although not a swordsman. The greatness of him is not really depicted in the movies.

Not that Orlando didn't do a good job; on the contrary, for the most part I enjoy his portrayal. And Elves are indeed the fairest. The things that bother me most are deliberate character changes (i.e. Faramir), and the movie Legolas did not conflict strikingly with the mental image I had (character-wise, not physical appearance).
Old 04-07-2003, 04:31 PM   #23
Sophia the Thunder Mistress
Scent of Simbelmynë

Sophia the Thunder Mistress has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Sophia the Thunder Mistress
Sting

Yes, like Nuranar, I always was a (book) Legolas fan. He was one of the more minor fellowship members, as far as plot, but I liked the... elvishness for lack of a better word... that he brought to the group. Even though he's not one of the Noldor by any stretch of the imagination, he does bring that feeling of age and memory with him.

I agree entirely with whichever one of you said that the difference between Legolas in the book and Legolas in the movie is more writing than portrayal. In FoTR I didn't have a problem with Legolas very much, he gets in a few deep moments (notably in Rivendell and Lorien) one gets a small glimpse of his "elvishness", Orlando Bloom portrays him well in my opinion. TT however... *grimaces* I really hate the way Legolas and Gimli's friendship is underplayed or left out of the movies... [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img] I think that's one of the more important things Legolas does in the whole story. He's also becomes more of a light character, he doesn't have any deep moments and exhibits a fear of death that I think would be uncharacteristic of the original Legolas. He doesn't work nearly so well for me in TT.

However, just to put my two cents in... I don't think he's very attractive. *shrugs* I'm strange I guess [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] He looks a little better with his piercings and stuff... but generally... nothing to get excited about.

-Sophia
The seasons fall like silver swords, the years rush ever onward; and soon I sail, to leave this world, these lands where I have wander'd. O Elbereth! O Queen who dwells beyond the Western Seas, spare me yet a little time 'ere white ships come for me!
Sophia the Thunder Mistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 04:37 PM   #24
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

I have to say I hadn't really thought about him that much as a book character. I like elves, but there seemed to be better elves around than him. I was kind of disappointed, for example, that Elrond didn't follow up his early idea of sending Glorfindel along on the quest.
But...when the film came out, I realised that of course Legolas is an elf, and that elves are beautiful and strong, and there he was, on the screen, being beautiful and strong...you get the picture. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Anyway, the gist of all this is that I got more interested in him after the film. Don't worry Lyra, you're not the only shallow one round here.
Old 04-07-2003, 05:26 PM   #25
eowyn_uncaged

Pipe

i always loved elves in the books. i admired them, and the way JRRT described them, they just seemed to demand a sort of reverance, and of course, who wouldn't want to live forever youngish? but i did sort of ignore legolas the first time i read the books. after i saw the movie though, i was a bit shallow, you have to admit he's cute, and i probably will go see pirates of the caribean just for that reason. I paid more attention to his character when i re-read the books. then i got sort of disapointed, like you, merenwen, because i loved the part when he went to get the sun! i think by skipping parts like that, some of legolas' character was destroyed, but i sort of disagree with you guys on the whole gimili/legolas friendship thing. i think they did a good job of showing it, if you already knew it was there. that's one of the things i like about the movies, you can watch them over and over and realize new things each time. but anyways, if you watch the council of elrond, you deffinately can tell that legolas and gimili don't get along, and then in ttt, legolas threatens eomer when gimili is about to get speared. it's not really that big of deal, unless your watching for it. by the way, did any of you guys notice the *glittering in the caves.* anyways, my thoughts on legolas deffinately changed after the movie...
Old 04-07-2003, 05:56 PM   #26
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Massachusetts - digging up a bottomless hole, searching for something that's not there...
Send a message via AIM to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via MSN to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via Yahoo to GaladrieloftheOlden
Pipe

That's exactly what I thought, figgy, just I'll state it differently I guess [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Wow, differing opinions here. Me personally, before the movies, I just didn't think about Legolas at all. Not in a bad way, but, (just like Gimli), he was there, and I always thought of him as just another member of the Fellowship, added so that Elrond could say his famous "9 walkers" line. However, I do have a fascination with Elves, so I thought about him a little, just when I thought about all of the Elves. Of course, there were a few lines about him that provoked some thought, or maybe a laugh, but other than that, I certainly didn't think about him more than any other member of the Fellowship.
After the movies...well, I admit that Orlando is goodlooking, but loathe extremely the "leggi is hot"ers. [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img] [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img] [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img] [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img] Okay, that's enough anger smilies. I thought that he was fun to watch, but not wuite the right Legolas. Still, it would be impossible to get the right Legolas, because I think that his Elvish qualities could not quite be portrayed by any actor.
Old 04-08-2003, 01:07 PM   #27
Lyra Greenleaf
The Diaphanous Dryad

Silmaril

Quote:
I admit that Orlando is goodlooking, but loathe extremely the "leggi is hot"ers
Well he is! Just cos I think so doesn't mean I'm stupid!
the Forbidden Link
Old 04-08-2003, 03:04 PM   #28
hobbit punk
Haunting Spirit

hobbit punk has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Legolas in the book is much more grand and awe-inspiring than in the movie. In the book he is portrayed as tall, honorable, and very skillful. But his friendship with Gimli shows his lighter side and is a very important message against racism. You think that maybe he and Gimli can bridge the gap torn between the dwarves and elves. The movie Legolas demonstrates amazing skill but I didn't think of him as being a aged, well-respected warrior(not aged as in your grandfather). I instead saw a young guy with talent..I liked the movie Legolas but there was a difference. And I do agree that the friendship between him and Gimli is understated in the movies.
Old 04-08-2003, 03:37 PM   #29
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pipe

Quote:
Well he is! Just cos I think so doesn't mean I'm stupid!
Sorry, Lyra. That's not what I meant. I just mean that I, personally, may think he is hot, but really dislike that way of saying it, as it puts an image of screaming crowds of rabid fangirls into my head. [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] And the word 'Orli' gives me the shivers.

[ April 08, 2003: Message edited by: GaladrieloftheOlden ]
Old 04-08-2003, 05:57 PM   #30
Lily Bracegirdle
Wight

Lily Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

I thought book-Legolas was underdeveloped and I wanted to see more of him. Film-Legolas is still underdeveloped as a character, but I like being able to see him doing things even when he's not the main focus of the story. (Well, I wasn't crazy about the horse-mounting or shield-surfing, but the Moria and Amon Hen scenes were fun.) I found Orlando Bloom enjoyable to watch once I got over the blond wig -- I had always thought Legolas was dark-haired.

Sophia, have you seen the extended version of FotR? The friendship between Legolas and Gimli comes through when Gimli is talking about his gift from Galadriel -- it's my favorite of the restored scenes. (I just hope the Extended TTT has Gimli challenging Eomer for insulting Galadriel on the fields of Rohan.)

-Lily

[ April 08, 2003: Message edited by: Lily Bracegirdle ]