The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-09-2003, 02:17 AM   #41
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

A Wizard's staff is wonderful (you are correct, you can use it for all those uses), but it is hard to get. I think you kind of have to be a Wizard! to have one. If I had to choose a weapon being just a regular human (or a person from the race of men in Middle Earth terms) I would have to choose a sword. I think a sword is really handy, and unlike a bow you don't have to worry about running out of arrows. Additionally almost anyone can use it, you just grab, go, and start killing [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

[ March 09, 2003: Message edited by: Gorwingel ]
Old 03-09-2003, 12:32 PM   #42
Bill Ferny
Shade of Carn Dûm

Bill Ferny has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

Chancellen, it depends on what you mean by shortspear and longspear. I do know that Gil Galad’s spear was named (I don’t remember it off hand), so this would apparently indicate that this specific spear was used over and over again.

Therefore, it would not be used as a javelin (jaculum) or the pilum, the longer jacula were thrown once and then forgotten. Pila, likewise, were one-use weapons, the soft iron neck designed to warp on contact. They were designed to stick into an enemy’s shield, bend to the ground and render the shield useless.

The pilum was often thrown as well as used for melee, and was thus a more useful and common weapon than the jaculum.

Longer spears, such as lances and aunurgiths, were used during the medieval period as either crouched lances by horsemen, or by footmen in shield walls and the latter schiltron. In either case, these longer spears usually didn’t last in one piece long after their initial use. They were all disposable weapons.

The only spear type I can remember that had any re-usability value would be the Roman hasta, a spear a bit shorter than the more common pilum with a spear head resembling an arrow head that was used for thrusting while in tight formation.

I don’t see any reason why there wouldn’t be bill-hook type polearms in Middle Earth. After all, the conception is pretty simple, and like the flail, any farmer would be familiar with the bill-hook as a tool. Such weapons require very little skill to use, and are easily made.
Old 03-09-2003, 12:58 PM   #43
Bill Ferny
Shade of Carn Dûm

Bill Ferny has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
Additionally almost anyone can use it {sword}, you just grab, go, and start killing [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Yeah, until somebody who actually knows how to use one comes along brings your killing spree to an abrupt conclusion. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

[ March 09, 2003: Message edited by: Bill Ferny ]
Old 03-09-2003, 01:27 PM   #44
Malva Headstrong
Haunting Spirit

Malva Headstrong has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I´d use a sword to ... a short sword, light when carried and easily to wield. But only if I had some really fighters on my side. If not, I´d either run or throw stones at them (whoever it said, it was a good idea [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] ).
Old 03-09-2003, 07:22 PM   #45
Chancellen the True
Pile O'Bones

Chancellen the True has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Thanks for the reply Bill. I was being rather general as to what type of spear I would use. For me, all of this conjecture was based on what was used in the books. In real life I would use a halberd. I'm into strength training, so any polearm would be enjoyable to use.

I have a question a little off topic, whatever happened to Gil Galad's spear (Aeglos [snow point])? It doesn't say, which leaves a lot of room for speculation. Maybee I'll make it a seperate topic.
Old 03-16-2003, 03:15 PM   #46
Elrowen Greenleaf
Animated Skeleton

Elrowen Greenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Elrowen Greenleaf
Eye

I partial to the bow myself. But I'd like to have a sword as backup... (or twin ones like Legolas....).

The bow of Legolas was singing.
Elrowen Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2003, 07:40 PM   #47
Lindril Arvilya
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: In a box at the end of Harrison Ford's street, with a pair of binoculars
Lindril Arvilya has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well, hmmm. I've never heard them specifically mentioned by name in the books, but I have heard "short swords" (like the hobbits') called "dirks". I would pretty much have to use one of those. I haven't got the strength for a full sword, the reach for a bow, the height for a good spear, or the focus to use a magical staff.
Oh wait. Better plan. In the movies, a weapon was "invented" for Wormtongue's "accomplices" in Meduseld. They were essentially knives tucked into the sleeve, pointing backwards. They're made with a wrist-band type of thing, and a hook around the thumb, to extend quickly. The effect is, you grab someonearound the neck from behind and slit their throat. Fine, as long as you keep to the shadows and avoid full-out fights.
Old 03-17-2003, 07:56 PM   #48
Olorin
Wight

Olorin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Olorin
Sting

a wizard's staff all the way, but I'm a little partial to the istari
Old 03-17-2003, 08:38 PM   #49
excheeto
Animated Skeleton

excheeto has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

even without magical qualities,a staff would be very useful(clubbing knob at the end for those with a sword,slender end for blunt stabbing,the rest can be swung for blocking arrows,also draws less suspicion)
if the staff breaks or is dropped,a knife can be used for backup
excheeto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2003, 08:48 PM   #50
Ruler of the Frogs
Animated Skeleton

Ruler of the Frogs has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

For me, a bow definatly. I hate to sound like the typical Legolas want to be, but I am afraid of sharp things peircing my skin! I would prefer to stay as far away from the action as possible, while still doing effective damage. Also, the bow just looks fun! I would also, however, like the sword. Being in the heat of the battle would be awesome, and I think if I was raised in the enviorment (like all LotR warriors would be) I would not be afraid of sword combat as I am in real life.
Old 03-18-2003, 02:39 PM   #51
Talon Stormcrow
Animated Skeleton

Talon Stormcrow has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I have to agree with Lindril. I couldnt handle a long sword either. A short sword would be best for me. I like bows and arrows but when its face to face combat by the time you grab your arrow, since Im no Legolas, you'd be pierced with a sword. [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]

Has anyone thought about weilding one or two sickles? or maybe a scythe? (if there were any in ME)

[ March 18, 2003: Message edited by: Talon Stormcrow ]

"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens" -Gimli Son of Gloin.
Talon Stormcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2003, 07:29 PM   #52
Hirilaelin
Shade of Carn Dûm

Hirilaelin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well, if I could, I would have a wizard's staff, but in "real" life, I would weild a quarterstaff and knives. Slim chance I'll actually get a quarterstaff and knives and learn how to use them though. Bugger. Ah, how I love RP! Anything is possible.
Hirilaelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2003, 09:12 PM   #53
steve
Wight

steve has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to steve
Sting

Yes Talon Stormcrow, i mentioned something along the lines of a sickle/scythe, a bardache, as i mentioned earlier, because a scythe or sickle would leave you to open in the long run, your best bet, if you were to use a weapon like that, would be to use a "war scythe" much like a glaive long shaft like a scythe but instead of the blade going out sideways from the stab and curving down the blade goes straight up and curves to the side slightly, very good for dismounting lancers before they can impale you, also good against them evil maulers(for those who dont know a maul is like a a very big sledge hammer, alot more effective then a sword i must say) and axemen because thewy usuially have no armor because of the great weight of the weapon they need the mobility of not wearing anything but leather armor or atmost chainmail which can be cut through easily with a polearm (IE. scythe, bardache, poleax, halbred, sickle, etc.)
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2003, 09:27 PM   #54
Rochelle
Shade of Carn Dûm

Rochelle has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I'm an archer at heart, and I think Legolas the assassin was the most efficient...however I would love to learn how to use a sword. Fencing is about as close as I can get! *lol*

"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens"
Rochelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2003, 09:38 PM   #55
Adutincowen
Pile O'Bones

Adutincowen has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

I'm an archer through and through, but swords would be an excellent back-up... if the enemy ever got that close [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] so, bow and arrows and sword, if you please

*~Adutincowen Whitetree~*
Adutincowen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2003, 09:42 PM   #56
Talon Stormcrow
Animated Skeleton

Talon Stormcrow has just left Hobbiton.
Cool! Thanks steve! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] That war scythe sounds pretty rough! But really cool! I can picture the Rohirrim using one of those. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens" -Gimli Son of Gloin.
Talon Stormcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2003, 09:52 PM   #57
pherostien
Animated Skeleton

pherostien has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Give it to me sharp and pointy. Even pencils prove most effective. But i happen to be in a 10 week archery class and use bows for hunting. I also own an asortment of long hunting knives.
Old 03-28-2003, 10:49 PM   #58
Yavanna Kementari
Haunting Spirit

Yavanna Kementari has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

If I may, Being a Valier, I like my power all on it's own if you please [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

But I would use a Sword because it is also a defense mechanism as well as an attack mechanism [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] But If I were hiding out doing some scouting a bow would be the definate way to go! I lvoe both my bow and Sword. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
AWESOME THREAD!! -(~<~>Yavanna
Old 03-28-2003, 11:18 PM   #59
Tinuviel the Nightingale
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tinuviel the Nightingale has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I'd say magical staff. As long as you know how to use it, you'd be pretty unstoppable against conventional battle weapons.
Tinuviel the Nightingale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2003, 12:32 PM   #60
vanwafeniel
Pile O'Bones

vanwafeniel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hi, for me it would have to be a broad sword, never mind the weight of it so long as i can swing away! I would love to have a piar of short swords like legolas'. Im better at hand to hand combat.
Most of all i would love to wield Narsil in its glory days, even to behold the shards...wow. I would be immensely pleased witha wizards staff though! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Ooooh..i would love a ring of power..the ring to be precise but i'd have to be immortal...i don't think i;d give up my mortality to have a ring of power...sounds wearisome. [img]smilies/redface.gif[/img]
Old 03-29-2003, 09:19 PM   #61
Elrond Jr
Pile O'Bones

Elrond Jr has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Weapons depend on what you are doing and what your job is. If you are far away, there is no question that a Bow is the best weapon. For short range swords are probably the best. And don't forget axes and scimitars depending on your size, strength, and distribution of the two. However overall in middle earth i think the most versatile weapon would be wits. No sword can save you without wits.
Old 03-29-2003, 11:31 PM   #62
Tinuviel the Nightingale
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tinuviel the Nightingale has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hmmm good point Elrond Jr.
Tinuviel the Nightingale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2003, 06:03 PM   #63
Elotareth
Animated Skeleton

Elotareth has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think I would choose a light, medium length, double-edged sword. That way, you can be twice as effective. I like archery too, and can actually shoot with pretty good form. Only one small problem, though. I can't aim worth anything! I guess practice makes perfect, though. Those elves have had several ages to perfect their craft. Just don't give me an axe. I can't stand axes!
Matthew 28:20
"Renewed shall be blade that was broken, the crownless again shall be king"
Elotareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2003, 05:26 AM   #64
vanwafeniel
Pile O'Bones

vanwafeniel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I agree with Elrond jr, it does depend on distance and distribition but for me a bow and arrow id ideal, i have the aim! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
But hand to hand is preferred if you actually want to kick arse. I do kick boxing so have no use for actual weapons, as Elrond jr put it, your best weapon is indeed your wits...(and strength). [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]
Old 04-05-2003, 06:39 PM   #65
Arawethiel
Animated Skeleton

Arawethiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I would have to say the sword would be the most effective weapon in ME. Although I suppose it mostly depends on what type of battle you're in which determines what weapon is the most effective. For long range the bow would definitely be a plus, but as it's already been said you'll eventually run out of arrows so it's good to have a sword for back up. Gandalf had a sword as well as a staff didn't he? So it shows that even a wizard depends on a sword instead of his magic all the time.

A sword would probably be the only weapon I could handle. I don't believe I have the aim for a bow and seeing as how I'm not a wizard I would go for the sword. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

[ April 05, 2003: Message edited by: Arawethiel ]
Old 04-08-2003, 10:57 AM   #66
Phervasaion
Shade of Carn Dûm

Phervasaion has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I would definaltly chose a two handed sword as they can be used with two hands so you can put more force into the blow. Also i think they are a big type of sword.
Old 04-08-2003, 01:10 PM   #67
Idril Meloriel Arcamenel

Question

hiya, im kinda new and i read the books quite a while ago so i dont know most of the names of the weapons but i would most definately go for a bow and the two short sword thingys. the problem is im not very good at archery and fencing isnt really fighting with a short sword is it? ah well its a laugh!!
Old 04-28-2003, 11:50 PM   #68
Frodo 007
Haunting Spirit

Location: Wellington, New Zealand (Middle-Earth Baby Yeah!!!)
Frodo 007 has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

My fave weapon is the Sword and the Bow & Arrow!!!I really wanna learn how to weild a Sword and shoot with a Bow & Arrow!!!I'd feel like i was in Middle-Earth!!! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 05-01-2003, 02:28 AM   #69
Mitheithel
Pile O'Bones

Mitheithel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Mitheithel
Shield

I have always prefered bow to other weapons. With a Bow you can harm your foes and remain in long distance yourself, so you won+t be harmed. A bowman should also be able to handle a sword, in case there will be a close combat unavoidable.

Go Longbows!