The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2003, 04:26 PM   #1
Arathiriel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Arathiriel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arathiriel
Silmaril Agent Smith & Magneto

Okay, I've been watching some parts of the movie X-Men and I just want to ask something...<P>Okay A LOT of fans seem to have problems with Hugo Weaving as Lord Elrond in LOTR because he played Agent Smith, the main villain of <I>The Matrix</I>...<P>Now you talk to the same fans and they loved Ian McKellen's portrayal of Gandalf in LOTR -and rightfully so - and yet from what I have watched of X-Men he played a <B>really bad</B> villain in Magneto...<P>Now my question is: Why do fans want to forgive Ian McKellen for playing Magneto in X-Men but they seem very <I>unwilling</I> to forgive Hugo Weaving for playing Agent Smith?<P>What gives?
Old 04-02-2003, 04:43 PM   #2
Rynoah, the Overly-Happy
Shade of Carn Dûm

Rynoah, the Overly-Happy has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>and yet from what I have watched of X-Men he played a really bad villain in Magneto...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Being a very big X-Men fan (McKellan was the only reason I was interested in LotR until I found out that Sean Bean was in it), I wonder if you mean the portrayal was bad or the villain himself was bad?<P>Anyway, I don't think it's a question of "forgiving" Hugo Weaving for his portrayal of Agent Smith (it was well done), but rather that the role was so impressing that you can't see Weaving play anyone else. Just as I had troubles seeing Sean Bean as anyone else except 006 Alec Trevelyan (Janus) after watching Goldeneye until after I watched many of his other movies.
Rynoah, the Overly-Happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 05:01 PM   #3
Pennthangeil
Haunting Spirit

Pennthangeil has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Pennthangeil
Sting

I dont have any idea what your talking about.<P>I happen to love Hugo in whatever roll he is playing.
Old 04-02-2003, 05:11 PM   #4
Arathiriel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmaril

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Being a very big X-Men fan (McKellan was the only reason I was interested in LotR until I found out that Sean Bean was in it), I wonder if you mean the portrayal was bad or the villain himself was bad? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>By the Valar, I meant the character was a <B>really bad villian</B>, and NOT the portrayal of the character by Sir Ian was bad! <P>From what I have watched of the movie, he does a rather <B>great</B> job with Magneto <I>from the POV of someone who is NOT an X-Men fan</I> - by no means did I mean to imply that the acting was bad in any way!<P> <P>BTW - Is it my imagination or does Gandalf have a larger nose than Magneto?
Old 04-02-2003, 06:27 PM   #5
Lady Iverin
Haunting Spirit

Lady Iverin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I find that Ian does a marvelous job in whatever movie he's been in. I haven't seen <I>The Matrix</I>, but I don't think that Hugo Weaving should be put down because of his role. Should actors only be allowed to play a certain type of character? Most people can play opposing characters or change the way they are in a movie. What is wrong with that, I say? What about Orlando Bloom? In <I>Pirates of the Caribbean</I>, I'm sure that he doesn't play a very nice person. But, of course people overlook that because he's so hot. I say, what is this world coming to?
Lady Iverin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 08:10 PM   #6
Eressië Ailin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eressië Ailin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Eressië Ailin
Question

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> BTW - Is it my imagination or does Gandalf have a larger nose than Magneto? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Mckellen had a prosthetic nose for the filming of LoTR.
Eressië Ailin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 08:13 PM   #7
Rynoah, the Overly-Happy
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>BTW - Is it my imagination or does Gandalf have a larger nose than Magneto?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>It's not your imagination; he wore a prosthetic for the role of Gandalf. <P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Should actors only be allowed to play a certain type of character?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Of course not. I'm only saying that the role of Agent Smith was quite an impressionable one and some find it hard to see past it (especially those that haven't seen any of Weaving's other works).
Old 04-02-2003, 11:56 PM   #8
Arathiriel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmaril

Well after watching the rest of the X-Men movie I have to say I think that Magneto is a more multidimensional villain in both his actions and his reasoning behind those actions...<P>I missed the first 16 or so minutes of the movie, but even with missing those minutes I understood enough about Magneto to know that normal people had obviously always treated him with hatred and fear and no doubt have persecuted him in his life because of what he is: a mutant (and a <B>POWERFUL</B> one at that)!<P>Now I can sort of understand why some are willing to forgive Sir Ian for playing Magneto since he has more dimensions to him than Agent Smith ever really did have in the first Matrix movie...<P>But all in all I will NOT hold Agent Smith against Hugo Weaving... And incidentially I enjoy his portrayal of Elrond in FOTR and TTT! <p>[ April 03, 2003: Message edited by: Arathiriel ]
Old 04-03-2003, 12:45 AM   #9
Alphaelin
Wight

Alphaelin has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

Arathiriel:<P>I never saw 'The Matrix', but did not care for the movie version of Elrond because he was played as a far more sinister character than in the books. His attitude seems to be, 'Whoa, Gandalf! Us Elves are OUTTA HERE! Not our problem!!' From reading the books, I always imagine him to be far more concerned with the fate of Middle Earth. I don't blame HW for this tho' - I imagine it was a directorial decision of Jackson's. And I thought Hugo looked rather dishy in that coat of mail in the scene with Isildur. <P>Then again, I have a sick fetish for men in chain mail. <P><BR>Rynoah TO-H:<P> What excellent taste in actors! Sean Bean came to my attention some years ago via PBS & I've been a fan ever since. The idea of movies based on LOTR seemed like such sacrilege to me, I don't know if I would have gone if he had not been cast as Boromir.
Old 04-03-2003, 03:21 AM   #10
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

While watching Lotr i have never thought about Agent Smith. I dont know what all the fuss is about. Hugo Weaving is permenantly Elrond in my mind. Im more likely to watch The Matrix and yell "Destroy it!!" over the top of one of his lines.
Old 04-03-2003, 06:00 AM   #11
Pennthangeil
Haunting Spirit

Pennthangeil has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Pennthangeil
Sting

I agrree tottaly. That shouting over the lines thing I do it all the time.<BR>But hes cuter in chain mail i must admit
Old 04-03-2003, 08:46 AM   #12
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

The Barrow-Wight is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

This topic belongs in MOVIES, so I am moving it there.
Old 04-03-2003, 04:46 PM   #13
Rynoah, the Overly-Happy
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>What excellent taste in actors! Sean Bean came to my attention some years ago via PBS & I've been a fan ever since.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Thank you. I actually first saw him in Goldeneye. I was a Brosnan fan, so I decided to introduce myself to 007 movies that way. I saw Trevelyan and thought, "This guy upstages Brosnan!" Been a fan since then and more-so since LotR was released (I even got a friend hooked on Bean via his portrayal of Boromir. ).<P>Anyway, back on-topic:<P>I don't judge actors by how many dimensions their character has. If they can portray the character to a point where I believe the character can exist (despite unbelievable storylines or the like), then they get kudos. Usually. I have exceptions.
Old 04-03-2003, 07:32 PM   #14
rumil

Sting

Did anyone see the 'Sharpe' series starring Sean Bean? It was about a British soldier in Spain during the Napoleonic wars, based on the books by Bernard Cornwell. I thought it was OK, though suffered from lack of budget in that the battle scenes weren't convincing due to a lack of extras. This was shown on British TV a few years ago, but is still repeated on UK Gold. <P>One of my female housemates at the time was addicted to the series due to the presence of Sean, though she did call it the 'silly hat show'.
Old 04-04-2003, 02:29 AM   #15
mollecon
Wight

mollecon has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>BTW - Is it my imagination or does Gandalf have a larger nose than Magneto? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Hmm - haven't you got Sir Ian confused with Nicole Kidman?
mollecon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2003, 08:49 AM   #16
Rynoah, the Overly-Happy
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Poor woman... I don't think she'll ever live that one down. Just like I don't think Weaving will live down his portrayal of Agent Smith.
Old 04-04-2003, 09:29 PM   #17
Elotareth
Animated Skeleton

Elotareth has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I personally loved Hugo Weaving in both The Matrix and LotR. I don't have a problem keeping the characters straight. And it has produced some interesting fan fiction. You know, like "Because Agents can shapeshift, Elrond was really Agent Smith in disguise!", and so on.
Matthew 28:20
"Renewed shall be blade that was broken, the crownless again shall be king"
Elotareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2003, 10:51 PM   #18
Arathiriel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmaril

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Hmm - haven't you got Sir Ian confused with Nicole Kidman?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Uh no, I don't <B>EVEN</B> think so! <P>And incidentially his nose is larger in LOTR but that is due to prosthetic nose as I understand it from the other posters here...<p>[ April 04, 2003: Message edited by: Arathiriel ]
Old 04-05-2003, 06:24 PM   #19
Elvish Hermit
Pile O'Bones

Elvish Hermit has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I LOVED Hugo Weaving in The Matrix. I didn't even relize that he played both Elrond and Agent Smith until Fellowship came to DVD. People just use Elrond/Smith stuff more often then Gandalf/Magneto because of.......um..... I don't know why. They just do. {shrugs}
Elvish Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2003, 07:04 PM   #20
NinjaFerret
Animated Skeleton

NinjaFerret has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to NinjaFerret
Sting

Hugo Weaving - The Matrix - Evil agent, computer simulation.<P>Hugo Weaving - Priscilla Queen of the Desert - Drag queen, previously straight father<P>Hugo Weaving - LotR - Elrond, elvish leader.<P>All three very diverse roles, and he aced them all. I am not surprised. He is talented.
Old 04-07-2003, 03:34 PM   #21
Liamtan

Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR><BR>People just use Elrond/Smith stuff more often then Gandalf/Magneto because of.......um..... I don't know why. They just do. {shrugs}<BR><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Maybe because more people saw The Matrix than X-Men.
Old 04-07-2003, 06:00 PM   #22
Voralphion
Shade of Carn Dûm

Voralphion has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

To those who think Elrond is ruined because of his portrayal of Agent Smith, watch Priscilla Queen of the Desert and see Hugo Weaving as a drag queen, then complain that Elrond is ruined by the actor's previous roles.
Were mirrored in his silver shield
Voralphion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2003, 01:26 AM   #23
Cibbwin
Wight

Cibbwin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Cibbwin Send a message via MSN to Cibbwin Send a message via Yahoo to Cibbwin
Sting

Sir Ian played a brilliant Magneto. Hugo played a birlliant Agent Smith. VERY creepy, only reason I watched the movie. They will always be Gandalf and Elrond Halfelven to me, however.
Cibbwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 01:15 PM   #24
hobbit punk
Haunting Spirit

hobbit punk has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The first time I saw FOTR in theatres, I laughed out loud when I saw Hugo as Elrond because I immediately associated him with Agent Smith in the Matrix. But I got over that in about five minutes because Hugo is such a talented actor and picks such a diversity of roles.
Old 04-09-2003, 02:21 PM   #25
Peri
Wight

Peri has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Good question. I think it has to do with the fact that Hugo was more rememberable in The Matrix than Ian was in The X-Men. Ian was a very flat character in the movie. I hate to say it, but a very forgettable character. I haven't seen The Matrix so I can't really comment on that.
Old 04-09-2003, 02:49 PM   #26
Mattius
Soul of Fire

Mattius has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Maybe it is because Ian McKellen looks so different in the two films and Hugo Weaving is easier to distinguish. I don't know really, all three films are great and RotK, Matrix Reloaded and X-Men 2 are going to be fantastic too!
Old 04-09-2003, 04:17 PM   #27
Adutincowen
Pile O'Bones

Adutincowen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I don't understand it! I love Lord of the Rings, X-MEN, and The Matrix. I don't really care if the characters they play in 2 movies are total opposite, because it's the character that matters, not the actor (well, usually...) anyway, some of my friends are like that, and then there's Hayley...

*~Adutincowen Whitetree~*
Adutincowen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2003, 11:13 AM   #28
Elvish Hermit
Pile O'Bones

Tolkien

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Maybe because more people saw The Matrix than X-Men. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I don't think that true. I know more people who've seen X-Men than the Matrix. <P>Actually, I believe people quote the Matrix and Lord of the Rings together. Look at the plots: One main heore, a group fighting aginst the forces of evil, and some parts confusing to the mind of the norm. Even look at Elrong and Agent Smith, the most common crossover: Both on completely different sides of the fence, yet they have a disliking for men. That's where many people get their connections. However trying to get Gandalf say something about the evelution of men or Magneto saying he will be somewhere to the East at the break of the dawn on the fifth day doesn't fit as well as The Matrix stuff does.
Old 05-02-2003, 05:42 PM   #29
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Sting

How strange. I just watched both X-Men and The Matrix last week. <P>Since I saw FOTR before seeing X-Men or The Matrix, I couldn't help but think when watching each, "Look, it's Elrond," or "Look it's Gandalf." But as I got into both movies, I forgot who the actors were and just focused on the characters they were currently playing. I think this proves that both Hugo Weaving and Ian McKellan are great actors and can play any role (though the fact that The Matrix and X-Men were really great movies probably helps too).
Old 05-02-2003, 06:48 PM   #30
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I don't think fans have a problem with Hugo having played Agent Smith and Elrond, what're you going to do? Forbid him to appear in any other movies? And Magneto isn't really a bad guy, he just has different ideas about what's right for the mutants. <p>[ May 06, 2003: Message edited by: The Only Real Estel ]
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2003, 06:54 PM   #31
Nyneve
Animated Skeleton

Nyneve has just left Hobbiton.
Boots

I did not have a problem with Hugo except I never really thought of Elrond as balding. <P><BR>I always Think of Sean Bean (one of my favorite actors) as portraying Richard Sharpe in 'Sharpe's Rifles'
Old 05-03-2003, 12:29 PM   #32
Lyra Greenleaf
The Diaphanous Dryad

Lyra Greenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> To those who think Elrond is ruined because of his portrayal of Agent Smith, watch Priscilla Queen of the Desert and see Hugo Weaving as a drag queen, <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Damn- exactly what I was going to say! <BR>What is it with LOTR actors and drag? "Faramir" in Moulin Rouge wore a purple wig and lipstick (not quite drag but...), Orlando Bloom wore a dress on TV and Ian McKellan wants to play a panto dame!
“Sylphs of the forest,” I whispered. “Spirits of oak, beech and ash. Dryads of Rowan and hazel, hear us. You who have guided and guarded our every footstep, you who have sheltered our growth, we honour you."
the Forbidden Link
Lyra Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2003, 12:36 AM   #33
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: On the sand dunes outside of Ilium, watching it burn.
Everdawn has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Yeah, i cant watch LOTR anymore without laughing so hard im crying when i see Elrond... i keep imagining him in Priscilla... times that by 10 when i have my friends over for an all nighter movie night.. many screams throughout my street!<P>And Ian wore a prosthetic nose in LOTR, someone says so in the commentary on the extended DVD... And i really liked Ian in X MEN... its awesome..!

~My lord, Éomer~
Everdawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2003, 03:05 PM   #34
Elvish Hermit
Pile O'Bones

Tolkien

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Faramir" in Moulin Rouge wore a purple wig and lipstick (not quite drag but...), <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>.<BR>.<BR>Whoa, whoa, Rewind. When was David Wenham in <I>Moulin Rouge!</I>?
Old 05-04-2003, 03:24 PM   #35
vanwalossien
Shade of Carn Dûm

vanwalossien has just left Hobbiton.
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Whoa, whoa, Rewind. When was David Wenham in Moulin Rouge!? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Oh, he was in Moulin Rouge. Great role too... Audrey, the first writer of 'Spectacular Spectacular' who left when Christian (Ewan McGregor) got the job. He's in Moulin Rouge for at least two minutes...<BR>Oh, and: "not quite drag"? If it wasn't, it was very close to it... It was drag...<P>Back to the point. I don't have trouble with Weaving playing Elrond because of him playing Smith, it's just that Smith is a very, ahem, memorable character, that makes me think of him as Smith even when he's playing Elrond. I frequently say 'Hobbits are a virus, isn't that right, missster Bagginsss' when watching both Lotr and Matrix...
Old 05-04-2003, 05:20 PM   #36
Elvish Hermit
Pile O'Bones

Sting

Audrey,Audrey. Nooooo, <I>that's</I>him??? He looks so different. (duh) then again, cosmetics was able to make Jim Carrey The Grinch and Mike Meyers the Cat in the Hat so anything's possible.
Old 05-05-2003, 01:38 AM   #37
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: On the sand dunes outside of Ilium, watching it burn.
Everdawn has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

That was HIM?.... oh my god.. i think i can see a resembelance...<P>*grabs Moulin Rouge DVD*<P>Ok now i have another reason to watch it again... Are you sure?..

~My lord, Éomer~
Everdawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 06:44 AM   #38
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Sting

Yep, that's sure him. If you still can't believe it, look in the credits and you'll find David's name in there. Too bad he wasn't in the movie longer. I thought the character Audrey was rather funny.
Old 05-05-2003, 08:30 AM   #39
Airerûthiel
Wight

Airerûthiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I've just come back from seeing <I>X2</I> and I admit to saying to my friend, "Look it's Gandalf!" when Sir Ian McKellen was on screen. I kept expecting him to say something like, 'BILBO BAGGINS!!' or 'All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.' To me he will now always be Gandalf.<P>I only recently saw <I>The Matrix</I> and did exactly the same thing - I wanted to know why Elrond was there. That happened with Sean Bean as well when I saw him in <I>Goldeneye</I> (I didn't know he was until I heard his voice and then I went, "Oh my God it's Boromir!")<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Should actors only be allowed to play a certain type of character?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> I have to totally disagree with that. In fact, it's better if they play a really diverse range of characters because then they're not in danger of being typecast (which is bad in any case, but especially for young actors 'cause if they always play teenagers they'll have no career after their mid-twenties).
Old 05-05-2003, 11:30 AM   #40
Aragolas

Sting

I don't believe there's anything to <I>forgive</I>Hugo for. I was extremely excited to see he's back as Agent Smith in the Matrix, as he was a <B>brilliant</B>villain in that. <P>As for Elrond, I didn't take him as being "sinister" at all, he just seemed extremely staid and authoritative. I would be most afraid to cross him.<P>"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson."