The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Quiz Room
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2020, 04:51 AM   #9841
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
6 Is Bard the Bowman addressing the Black Arrow -“Black arrow! I have saved you to the last. You have never failed me and always I have recovered you. I had you from my father and he from of old. If ever you came from the forges of the true king under the Mountain, go now and speed well!"

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 07:23 AM   #9842
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urwen View Post
5 reminds me of three hunters...
It is true that there is a group of 3, but not that group. I suggest paying some attention to "feigned voices".
Old 06-21-2020, 07:23 AM   #9843
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen View Post
6 Is Bard the Bowman addressing the Black Arrow -“Black arrow! I have saved you to the last. You have never failed me and always I have recovered you. I had you from my father and he from of old. If ever you came from the forges of the true king under the Mountain, go now and speed well!"
Yes! To be edited in....
Old 06-21-2020, 08:30 AM   #9844
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

1. BILBO: I eat well myself, and if you see what I mean, it’s better than cooking. (I am a good cook myself, and cook better than I cook, if you see what I mean.)
2. ARAGORN: I do, and now, if you have the floor, I don't care if you say Aranya or Kingsfoil for now. (I do so, and I care not whether you say now asëa aranion or kingsfoil, so long as you have some.)
3. I am Dimrill Dale Falls, owner of 10 new Ballins in Yeastrade Morei.
4. BEOR: That darkness lies behind us, and our to to take turn our backward upon it, and our will will don't desire to returned thither even on intelligent. Westwards our hearts to to take achieved turn, and our believable this that our shall found lit. (A darkness lies behind us, and we have turned our backs upon it, and we do not desire to return thither even in thought. Westwards our hearts have been turned, and we believe that there we shall find Light.)
5*. The three for us taking abrue to don't challenge that hundred, then our go taking ahead and speak taking feigned voices, lead the them in onto wood
6. BARD: Myself take save you are a the to lasted. You are a take always only failed my and always myself take recovered you are. Myself having you are a originate I father and himself originate for old. Conditionally to ever you are a come the originate forges the for true king the under mountain, went with currently and speedily good! ([Arrow! Black arrow!] I have saved you to the last. You have never failed me and always I have recovered you. I had you from my father and he from of old. If ever you came from the forges of the true king under the Mountain, go now and speed well!)
7. PRECIOUSSS: Unique rankings as a criterion for everyone A unique ranking to find them in a unique ranking so that everyone can enter and bind them in the dark. (One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.)
8*. SARUMAN: L? Why worry about each other? Will he give me rest at night or during the day?(Well? Why must you disturb my rest? Will you give me no peace at all by night or day?)
9*. The language has changed dramatically; But the wrong name indicates. A dream? I have not heard any reports that allow the truth.
10*. TOM BOMBADIL: Hello doll! Congratulations, doll! You call Dong Delu! Call Dong! Leave it together! Completed! Tom Boom, Jolly Tom, Tom Pompidillo! (Hey dol! merry dol! ring a dong dillo! Ring a dong! hop along! fal lal the willow! Tom Bom, jolly Tom, Tom Bombadillo!)
11*. FINROD: Stay, resist, fight against the government, keep secret, enter the government like a tower, break trust… (Sang in answer a song of staying, Resisting, battling against power, Of secrets kept, strength like a tower, And trust unbroken…)
12*. So I said we would keep doing it, and I would increase the penalty. Work is an issue that we must work on in her song until the big day.
13. I understand your review, but some people know. If you want to answer, why don't you speak a common language with the West in the usual way?

A tip for the theme: the manner in which the clues were made is also part of it. And the quotes/speakers were chosen for a reason.
Old 06-21-2020, 11:36 AM   #9845
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Urwen has just left Hobbiton.
I know what the password is. I invented it, in fact.

Baobab pudding.

I am suffering from Maeglinomaniacal Maeglinophilia.
Urwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 01:33 PM   #9846
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:

Baobab pudding.
So you did.

1. BILBO: I eat well myself, and if you see what I mean, it’s better than cooking. (I am a good cook myself, and cook better than I cook, if you see what I mean.)
2. ARAGORN: I do, and now, if you have the floor, I don't care if you say Aranya or Kingsfoil for now. (I do so, and I care not whether you say now asëa aranion or kingsfoil, so long as you have some.)
3. O I am Dimrill Dale Falls, owner of 10 new Ballins in Yeastrade Morei.
4. BEOR: That darkness lies behind us, and our to to take turn our backward upon it, and our will will don't desire to returned thither even on intelligent. Westwards our hearts to to take achieved turn, and our believable this that our shall found lit. (A darkness lies behind us, and we have turned our backs upon it, and we do not desire to return thither even in thought. Westwards our hearts have been turned, and we believe that there we shall find Light.)
5*. A The three for us taking abrue to don't challenge that hundred, then our go taking ahead and speak taking feigned voices, lead the them in onto wood
6. BARD: Myself take save you are a the to lasted. You are a take always only failed my and always myself take recovered you are. Myself having you are a originate I father and himself originate for old. Conditionally to ever you are a come the originate forges the for true king the under mountain, went with currently and speedily good! ([Arrow! Black arrow!] I have saved you to the last. You have never failed me and always I have recovered you. I had you from my father and he from of old. If ever you came from the forges of the true king under the Mountain, go now and speed well!)
7. PRECIOUSSS: Unique rankings as a criterion for everyone A unique ranking to find them in a unique ranking so that everyone can enter and bind them in the dark. (One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.)
8*. SARUMAN: L? Why worry about each other? Will he give me rest at night or during the day?(Well? Why must you disturb my rest? Will you give me no peace at all by night or day?)
9*. D The language has changed dramatically; But the wrong name indicates. A dream? I have not heard any reports that allow the truth.
10*. TOM BOMBADIL: Hello doll! Congratulations, doll! You call Dong Delu! Call Dong! Leave it together! Completed! Tom Boom, Jolly Tom, Tom Pompidillo! (Hey dol! merry dol! ring a dong dillo! Ring a dong! hop along! fal lal the willow! Tom Bom, jolly Tom, Tom Bombadillo!)
11*. FINROD: Stay, resist, fight against the government, keep secret, enter the government like a tower, break trust… (Sang in answer a song of staying, Resisting, battling against power, Of secrets kept, strength like a tower, And trust unbroken…)
12*. N So I said we would keep doing it, and I would increase the penalty. Work is an issue that we must work on in her song until the big day.
13. G I understand your review, but some people know. If you want to answer, why don't you speak a common language with the West in the usual way?

Last edited by Galadriel55; 06-21-2020 at 02:02 PM.
Galadriel55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 04:24 PM   #9847
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:

Baobab pudding.

hS
Huinesoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 04:26 PM   #9848
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Is #3 something like 'Balin fell yesterday morning in Dimrill Dale', written by ORI in the Book of Mazarbul?

hS
Old 06-21-2020, 06:53 PM   #9849
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huinesoron View Post
Is #3 something like 'Balin fell yesterday morning in Dimrill Dale', written by ORI in the Book of Mazarbul?

hS
Indeed! Aside from being a good scribe and having a preference for Elvish, Ori also apparently liked alternative spelling.

3. ORI: I am Dimrill Dale Falls, owner of 10 new Ballins in Yeastrade Morei. (Yestreday being the tenth of novembre Balin lord of Moria fell in Dimrill Dale.)
5*. A The three for us taking abrue to don't challenge that hundred, then our go taking ahead and speak taking feigned voices, lead the them in onto wood
9*. D The language has changed dramatically; But the wrong name indicates. A dream? I have not heard any reports that allow the truth.
12*. N So I said we would keep doing it, and I would increase the penalty. Work is an issue that we must work on in her song until the big day.
13. G I understand your review, but some people know. If you want to answer, why don't you speak a common language with the West in the usual way?

Looking at the remaining clues, 12 might be hard to get until you figure out the theme. Then it will be quite easy. To get to the theme, I suggest thinking in particular about the quotes in 2, 3, and 6, of the ones that were already guessed. What aspect ties all the quotes/speakers/events surrounding the quote together?

Last edited by Galadriel55; 06-21-2020 at 06:58 PM.
Old 06-22-2020, 03:21 AM   #9850
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Oh! #13: is this GANDALF to the guard (Hama?) outside Meduseld? When the Rohirrim are being rude and speaking Old English at everyone?

On a similar note, #9 sounds like someone in Rohan talking about Hobbits. I forget who that is, but the D says it might be THEODEN.

hS
Old 06-22-2020, 03:41 AM   #9851
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

As for themes: there seems to be an undercurrent of confusing language running through the password. Several (Aragorn, the Ring, my #13) have people using non-common languages; others (Ori, my #9, Tom Bom) have non-standard language use. Some (Bilbo, Saruman, Finrod) are being, or are noted for being, deliberately confusing, and I believe that only leaves Beor (who first appeared speaking an unfamiliar language) and Bard (who speaks Bird, as I recall).

This also fits nicely with both the password and the style.

hS
Old 06-22-2020, 07:16 AM   #9852
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Oh! #13: is this GANDALF to the guard (Hama?) outside Meduseld? When the Rohirrim are being rude and speaking Old English at everyone?

On a similar note, #9 sounds like someone in Rohan talking about Hobbits. I forget who that is, but the D says it might be THEODEN.

hS
Yes to both! I believe the guard is not Hama, but an unnamed person; they meet Hama inside when it comes time to lay down their weapons.

Quote:
As for themes: there seems to be an undercurrent of confusing language running through the password. Several (Aragorn, the Ring, my #13) have people using non-common languages; others (Ori, my #9, Tom Bom) have non-standard language use. Some (Bilbo, Saruman, Finrod) are being, or are noted for being, deliberately confusing, and I believe that only leaves Beor (who first appeared speaking an unfamiliar language) and Bard (who speaks Bird, as I recall).

This also fits nicely with both the password and the style.

hS
Great work!

The theme is not necessarily about confusing language, but the use of language in general, both as an enrichment of the legendarium and a real world phenomenon. I tried to pick speakers who stand out in terms of language use or linguistic ability (eg. Bilbo, who translated a bunch of stuff, Bard, who speaks Bird, Tom Bom who speaks gibberish, Ori who writes in a unique style, Gandlaf - "With Dwarf and Hobbit, Elves and Men, / with mortal and immortal folk, / with bird on bough and beast in den, / in their own secret tongues he spoke."), and quotes that highlight various uses of language (puns, misunderstandings, magic, and others). Interestingly, the two remaining quotes fall under "other", but both can be linked to confusion in some way. I didn't intend for confusion to be part of the theme, but it does seem to crop up.

THEME: THE PERKS AND PITFALLS OF LANGUAGE IN MIDDLE-EARTH AND BEYOND

3. ORI: I am Dimrill Dale Falls, owner of 10 new Ballins in Yeastrade Morei. (Yestreday being the tenth of novembre Balin lord of Moria fell in Dimrill Dale.)
9*. THEODEN: The language has changed dramatically; But the wrong name indicates. A dream? I have not heard any reports that allow the truth. (Your tongue is strangely changed; but the name sounds not unfitting so. Hobbits! No report that I have heard does justice to the truth.)
13. GANDALF: I understand your review, but some people know. If you want to answer, why don't you speak a common language with the West in the usual way? (Well do I understand your speech, yet few strangers do so. Why then do you not speak in the Common Tongue, as is the custom in the West, if you wish to be answered?)

Last edited by Galadriel55; 06-22-2020 at 07:32 AM.
Old 06-22-2020, 01:29 PM   #9853
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pervinca Took is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Could N be Namo ... something to do with the Ainulindale (song) and judgement and retribution (penalty?)
Old 06-22-2020, 02:39 PM   #9854
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pervinca Took View Post
Could N be Namo ... something to do with the Ainulindale (song) and judgement and retribution (penalty?)
Ohhh good guess! No, but Namo and judgement and that stuff is involved. That clue does not start with N. Also, now that you know the theme, this person should come to mind in the forefront of the legendarium's linguistic accomplishments.
Old 06-22-2020, 04:01 PM   #9855
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Oh....is it the best linguistic mind of the generation after Rumil, our very own genius, Feanor?

Old 06-22-2020, 04:14 PM   #9856
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Oh....is it the best linguistic mind of the generation after Rumil, our very own genius, Feanor?
That's the guy. Not just good at writing runes, but also a very persuasive dude, I hear.

One more to go. This one is a bit unusual. I suggest focusing on "feigned voices" and the last bit of the sentence.

9*. THEODEN: The language has changed dramatically; But the wrong name indicates. A dream? I have not heard any reports that allow the truth. (Your tongue is strangely changed; but the name sounds not unfitting so. Hobbits! No report that I have heard does justice to the truth.)
12*. FEANOR: So I said we would keep doing it, and I would increase the penalty. Work is an issue that we must work on in her song until the big day. (Therefore I say that we will go on, and this doom I add: the deeds that we shall do shall be the matter of song until the last days of Arda.)
13. GANDALF: I understand your review, but some people know. If you want to answer, why don't you speak a common language with the West in the usual way? (Well do I understand your speech, yet few strangers do so. Why then do you not speak in the Common Tongue, as is the custom in the West, if you wish to be answered?)
Old 06-24-2020, 03:02 AM   #9857
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

So: talking in feigned voices to draw the enemy away into the woods sounds like a very Tolkien scene, but I can't place it at all. It might be Bilbo against the spiders in Mirkwood, but we've already had Bilbo. It's the sort of thing you'd do if you were sneaking into an enemy's camp, or to divert the enemy from your main force, but that's... really not something that happens much in Tolkien.

Is it something to do with Turin? Perhaps from his bandit days, or perhaps when Beleg and Gwindor were sneaking in to rescue him from the orcs? That's the only thing I can think of.

EDIT: Or, if 'woods' is a mistranslation, and GTrans has flipped some pronouns, something from the Dead Marshes? Feigned voices drawing people away, and the number three is in there...

hS
Old 06-24-2020, 06:56 AM   #9858
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
So: talking in feigned voices to draw the enemy away into the woods sounds like a very Tolkien scene, but I can't place it at all. It might be Bilbo against the spiders in Mirkwood, but we've already had Bilbo. It's the sort of thing you'd do if you were sneaking into an enemy's camp, or to divert the enemy from your main force, but that's... really not something that happens much in Tolkien.
I suppose given all your examples it happens enough to not be as easy as I thought. You are looking for a FOTR scene. That should hopefully narrow down the search.
Old 06-24-2020, 07:23 AM   #9859
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Is it a film-based scene ... Fellowship members distracting the orcs so that Frodo can escape with the Ring?
Old 06-24-2020, 07:26 AM   #9860
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
I suppose given all your examples it happens enough to not be as easy as I thought. You are looking for a FOTR scene. That should hopefully narrow down the search.
Ah, there it is: Haldir, explaining his anti-Orc strategy. I glanced over "Three is Company" first, before remembering the orc party that invaded Lorien.

Fits the theme because the Lorien elves habitually speak Silvan Elvish, which is not widely understood.

hS
Old 06-24-2020, 07:33 AM   #9861
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Is it a film-based scene ... Fellowship members distracting the orcs so that Frodo can escape with the Ring?
You know me better than that. Would I really rely on a movie scene?

Quote:
Ah, there it is: Haldir, explaining his anti-Orc strategy. I glanced over "Three is Company" first, before remembering the orc party that invaded Lorien.

Fits the theme because the Lorien elves habitually speak Silvan Elvish, which is not widely understood.

hS
Yes! And Haldir's companions didn't even speak the Common Tongue. Yet they manage to imitate it to a believable degree, considering they manage to lead the orcs right where they want to.

5*. HALDIR: The three for us taking abrue to don't challenge that hundred, then our go taking ahead and speak taking feigned voices, lead the them in onto wood (The three of us could not challenge a hundred, so we went ahead and spoke with feigned voices, leading them on into the wood.)
12*. FEANOR: So I said we would keep doing it, and I would increase the penalty. Work is an issue that we must work on in her song until the big day. (Therefore I say that we will go on, and this doom I add: the deeds that we shall do shall be the matter of song until the last days of Arda.)

And now over to Urwen!
Old 06-24-2020, 08:51 AM   #9862
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Hmmm....I have an idea. New puzzle will be here shortly.

Old 06-24-2020, 08:58 AM   #9863
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Galadriel, which language did you choose to Google Translate the quotations into, before Google Translating them back into English?

Brilliantly original idea!
Old 06-24-2020, 08:58 AM   #9864
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Here you go. Hope you enjoy it.

1. A mother and a daughter. Little people.
2. Called fair; of Hobbitish descent.
3. Hell is a valley?
4. Flower worshipper?
5. His son died by fire.
6. Sounds like a birdy offspring, but it's his other name you're after.
7. A girl and a flower.
8. The seventh is hurled.
9. Is he an elf, or not?
10. Two stones, and a man.
11. Small horse.

Last edited by Urwen; 06-24-2020 at 12:11 PM.
Old 06-24-2020, 09:01 AM   #9865
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

This one is a bit sneaky, and you'll see why once you solve a few clues.

Old 06-24-2020, 09:04 AM   #9866
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

#2 makes me imagine some obscure tale wherein a Dunedain character is said to be "shorter than many of her people, and it was rumoured that she had a Halfling in her remote ancestry".

Anyway: is #1 ROSE or ROSIE, for Mistress Rose and Rosie-lass of Bag-End?

hS
Old 06-24-2020, 09:10 AM   #9867
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Galadriel, which language did you choose to Google Translate the quotations into, before Google Translating them back into English?

Brilliantly original idea!
There used to be a Bad Translator website which would run things through a set number of translations back and forth with English, and it was quite good at generating hilarity (see the Googlese thread). However, the website seems to be down, and the translators I found were not on par. So I did it manually, sending the quote through 5+ languages chosen at random, the only rule being to have as much variety as possible and that two consecutive languages may not be from the same language group (preferably all languages in the translation would be from different groups but by the time I'd get to the end I wouldn't remember what I started with versus what I did for previous quotes so this one might not have been followed accurately). Sometimes I went too far, and when I finally brought the quote back to English it was completely unrecognizable, so I re-did those until they had a balance of not obvious but recognizable.

Edit: crossed with the new password.
Old 06-24-2020, 09:10 AM   #9868
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Is 2 Elanor?
Old 06-24-2020, 09:12 AM   #9869
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

5. Ecthelion?

7. Elanor? [Edit: crossed again... ]
Old 06-24-2020, 09:13 AM   #9870
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Is #10 ELESSAR, or "King Greenrock" as he was known among the Dunlendings?

hS
Old 06-24-2020, 09:16 AM   #9871
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Is #10 ELESSAR, or "King Greenrock" as he was known among the Dunlendings?
King Greenrock! I guess better than King Vagabond, as he was known in Bree.
Old 06-24-2020, 09:40 AM   #9872
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Quote:
King Greenrock! I guess better than King Vagabond, as he was known in Bree.
I understand there's a full list in Home XIV: The Weird... no, wait, I mean in the upcoming Nature of Middle-earth, yeah, that'll do it.

hS
Old 06-24-2020, 12:10 PM   #9873
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

ROSE: A mother and a daughter. Little people.
ELANOR: Called fair; of Hobbitish descent.
3. Hell is a valley?
4. Flower worshipper?
ECTHELION: His son died by fire.
7. A girl and a flower.
9. Is he an elf, or not?
ELESSAR: Two stones, and a man.
11. Small horse.

Last edited by Urwen; 06-24-2020 at 02:47 PM.
Old 06-24-2020, 12:16 PM   #9874
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Is 8 PALANTIR?

3 ... UDUN? Or MORGUL?
Old 06-24-2020, 12:47 PM   #9875
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

11. Pony? Prancing Pony? Bill the Pony?

6. Makes me think of Eagle & Child...
Old 06-24-2020, 01:51 PM   #9876
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
7 could be Nimrodel, flower interpreted as river.

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 02:50 PM   #9877
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

ROSE: A mother and a daughter. Little people.
ELANOR: Called fair; of Hobbitish descent.
UDUN: Hell is a valley?
4. Flower worshipper?
ECTHELION: His son died by fire.
NIMRODEL: A girl and a flower.
9. Is he an elf, or not?
ELESSAR: Two stones, and a man.
11. Small horse.

Last edited by Urwen; 06-24-2020 at 03:35 PM.
Old 06-24-2020, 02:52 PM   #9878
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Quote:
11. Pony? Prancing Pony? Bill the Pony?

6. Makes me think of Eagle & Child...
For 11, it is a pony, but which one?

For 6, I've reused one of your clues.

Old 06-24-2020, 02:58 PM   #9879
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
For 6, I've reused one of your clues.
No way! Is the Emu Child back? In that case, the answer is Dior.

Also, if certain assumptions are correct, is the pony Strider?

Edit: Hui - King Vagabond? It should have been King Horseface.

Last edited by Galadriel55; 06-24-2020 at 03:04 PM.
Old 06-24-2020, 03:12 PM   #9880
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Quote:
Edit: Hui - King Vagabond? It should have been King Horseface.
It could be worse. Mayor Gamgee of Michel Delving insisted on referring to him as "King Trotter" for over sixty years.

hS