The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-06-2003, 12:27 PM   #1
Thenamir
Spectre of Capitalism

Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Sting Saruman of Middle...East?

Saruman sends suicide bombers to Helm's Deep, Sheikh Yassin (leader of Hamas, the terrorist group) sends suicide bombers to Jerusalem. Coincidence? Check these pictures and see the similarities!

SARUMAN

SHEIKH YASSIN

[ June 06, 2003: Message edited by: Thenamir ]
Old 06-06-2003, 12:39 PM   #2
Arafangwen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: WtR: 413 miles/Floating happily across the floor in the arms of The Phantom.....
Arafangwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Arafangwen Send a message via AIM to Arafangwen
Silmaril

If you 'think, therefore you post'. Then what is the point of this thread? Explanation please!
Arafangwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2003, 12:46 PM   #3
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

Tsk, tsk. "Mayhem he thinks this is," *said in best Yoda-like imitation*

Thenamir, I seem to recall Tolkien quite firmly repudiating topical references in the Foreward to the Second Edition.

And I don't think it enlarges our appreciation of Tolkien or our understanding of current world events to appropriate literature or mythology, to either side, even in jest.

Respectfully,
Bêthberry

EDIT: Nor do I think it is in keeping with Barrow Downs policy to attempt to bring in current affairs.

[ June 06, 2003: Message edited by: Bêthberry ]
Old 06-06-2003, 01:07 PM   #4
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

*shudders*

I do *not* want to think about the links between the two. But very amusing how they are so similar.
Old 06-06-2003, 01:19 PM   #5
Thenamir
Spectre of Capitalism

Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Sting

Arafangwen:

It's just meant to be humorous. No offense intended.

[ June 06, 2003: Message edited by: Thenamir ]
Old 06-06-2003, 02:12 PM   #6
burrahobbit
Hidden Spirit

burrahobbit has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I can't believe you would insult the Arab people like that. You have no taste, Thenamir. Stereotyping a proud and friendly race with your bigotry and hatred! I don't even know why I read this place anymore.
Old 06-06-2003, 02:26 PM   #7
burrahobbit
Hidden Spirit

Sting

Meh.
Old 06-06-2003, 02:48 PM   #8
Elentarimir
Wight

Elentarimir has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Elentarimir
Silmaril

They do look alike, but I have to tell you to keep current events out of Barrowdowns, cause I think that's in the rules.
Old 06-06-2003, 02:58 PM   #9
burrahobbit
Hidden Spirit

Sting

I have to tell you.
Old 06-06-2003, 03:31 PM   #10
Thenamir
Spectre of Capitalism

Sting

There isn't anything political about those pictures! It's just an uncanny resemblance! Any similarity in methods, madness, or mission is WHOLLY unintentional...
Old 06-06-2003, 03:36 PM   #11
Legolas
A Northern Soul

Legolas has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

They just look alike, and they are leaders of movements.

That is FUNNY.

FUNNY, I tell you.

It doesn't have anything to do with politics, or opinions of this man, or anything else. There's no "political discussion" here. One is in Middle-earth, one is in Middle-east - if you stripped away the clothes, you couldn't tell the difference. That's all there is to it.

[ June 06, 2003: Message edited by: Legolas ]
Old 06-06-2003, 03:41 PM   #12
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

The Barrow-Wight is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
White-Hand

There is not a fast rule that I remember or can find against bringing politics into the Downs, but there is certainly an unwritten policy. I recall a round of politicizing that occurred in signatures several months ago that was quickly ‘put down’, but other than that, we’ve had no real lasting problems with politics – probably because people don’t come here for such discussions (not that two pictures equal a discussion). I’ve no doubt that Thenamir introduced these pictures as nothing more than a bit of humor and the comparison Thenamir has made is not slanderous or even inaccurate (both Saruman and the Shiek would agree), but I don’t think the time is right for a Middle-east allegory topic. Everyone, enjoy the pictures if you like, dislike them if you want, but please don’t get upset about them. And don’t take them as an opportunity to discuss politics.

Thanks
Old 06-07-2003, 10:42 AM   #13
Arafangwen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: WtR: 413 miles/Floating happily across the floor in the arms of The Phantom.....
Arafangwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Arafangwen Send a message via AIM to Arafangwen
Silmaril

I'm sorry if my first comment came out wrong, I just wanted to know if there was a rhyme to your reason Thenamir. Rather, what discussion this thread was supposed to generate. I didn't think, you being a mod, that this would just be a nonsense thread, I simply wanted to know what you were trying to get us to discuss.

SIDENOTE: I do think the simalaritys are funny and somewhat uncanny, no offence was ever taken(just wanted to clear that all up).
Arafangwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2003, 03:54 PM   #14
Elentarimir
Wight

Elentarimir has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Elentarimir
Silmaril

I do think they are funny. Hope I didn't offend you....
Old 06-07-2003, 06:46 PM   #15
Thenamir
Spectre of Capitalism

Sting

No offense taken! I didn't realize what a can of worms I was opening! Enjoy!

Thenamir