The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-10-2002, 06:20 PM   #41
Thenamir
Spectre of Capitalism

Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Sting

Quote:
(This thread has gotten silly.)
Gotten silly? It started there and has been diggin' in ever since!
Old 11-10-2002, 07:02 PM   #42
Cúdae
Wight

Cúdae has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Cúdae
Sting

Silly? It's gone beyond that! And it's all Thenamir's fault. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Anyway, Aragorn did take a much safer route now that I think about it... Very fishy. The Paths of the Dead were frightening, but were the dead guys actually going to hurt anybody? No. And besides he had some rangers and some elves and a good old dwarf along with him.
Interesting that he took the "easier" route and was in no rush to make sure Frodo and Sam were alright. Not only that, but he wasn't the only one! Legolas and Gimli went with him!
Old 11-10-2002, 07:31 PM   #43
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Tolkien

Quote:
Gotten silly? It started there and has been diggin' in ever since!
I disagree. The original premise of the thread was not too far into the Realm of the Surreal. However, I agree that it has been diggin'.

Quote:
The Paths of the Dead were frightening
I see you fell for the clever little "editorial" history that King Elessar's scholars did during the Fourth Age. "The Paths of the Dead" was actually a nearly abandoned theme park from back in the Dark Years. Sauron had several of these twisted facilities besmirching the landscape in order to fund his schemes of world domination. The scariest thing about the Paths of the Dead was that the soda and cotton candy were 25 gold pieces each and Gimli was hungry. (Which is pretty scary if you stop and think about it.)

During the Fourth and subsequent ages these theme parks were resurrected and continue to haunt us to this very day with their high prices and cheap theatrics.

The Paths of the Dead is currently open seven days a week from 9 AM to 11 PM Monday through Thursday, from 9 AM to 12 AM Friday and Saturday, and from 12 PM to 10 PM on Sundays. It features all the rides you can afford and all the food you can eat until your body is found floating in the river the next morning with a horrible emptiness of wallet.

You reach the Paths of the Dead by getting on the newly constructed Lossarnach (extort every penny possible) Turnpike until you reach the Lebennin Freeway. Go north on the Lebennin Freeway through the hundreds of miles of solid construction until you reach Ethring. From Ethring take the Erech Highway until you get to the Black Stone Memorial Highway. Follow the Black Stone until you get to the Starkhorn cutoff. Get out of your car, cut off your Starkhorn, turn around four times, and there you are at the lovely Paths of the Dead, where you will have the hap-hap-happiest time of your lives. (Until what little money you have left after the Lossarnach [extort every penny possible] Turnpike runs out.)

Now, pass the cotton candy and make way to the King of the Mountains Cliff Dive!

I want my advertising fees, gotta pay for this fun somehow!

[ November 11, 2002: Message edited by: Kuruharan ]
Old 11-10-2002, 08:35 PM   #44
Cúdae
Wight

Cúdae has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Cúdae
Sting

I am not sure whether to think Kuruharan (did I spell the name right?) is an extremely funny madman, or a genius.

I am going to bring this thread back to the idea of an Air Force if no one has any objection...

The wraiths had those flying monster things (the name of that species I never found) that could be killed. But if they were the most powerful of Sauron's servants and Sauron wanted to increase his own power, why didn't he just give the Nazgul the gift of flight? They weren't alive (not dead either, but that's another story) and therefore did not have the weight of living bone and flesh--so why didn't they fly? Legolas would not have been able to down those with an arrow had they been flying around overhead. And it probably would have been a lot more frightening to see a bunch of Nazgul flying than a bunch of Nazgul on their flying monsters.

[ November 10, 2002: Message edited by: Cúdae ]

[ November 10, 2002: Message edited by: Cúdae ]
Old 11-11-2002, 09:56 AM   #45
Helkasir
Haunting Spirit

Helkasir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well, maybe Elrond was an idiot. Think about it. "Nine walkers to combat the nine riders." Besides the fact that most of them don't reach the "You must THIS tall to ride the (insert name of roller coaster here)" mark, riders are obviously more deadly than alkers. No way to give 'em HORSES. wouldn't a thought about TRANSPORTATION needs. Oh no, we'll walk all the way to mordor, good for your health....
Old 11-12-2002, 08:34 AM   #46
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Tolkien

Quote:
I am not sure whether to think Kuruharan (did I spell the name right?) is an extremely funny madman, or a genius.
Most would say madman.

Quote:
Oh no, we'll walk all the way to mordor, good for your health....
I see that you have been reading the travel brochures for the Ash Plain Health Resort. Their lava treatments can be quite invigorating, I hear.