The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-2005, 05:14 PM   #1
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Any Veggie Tales fans out there?

It appears we have another adaptation of Tolkien. For those of you wanting to have a complete collection of DVDs, you might (or might not) want to consider investing in this:

Click on Toto Baggypants....

Once you hit the big time in popular culture, you never know what's coming next!

Can anyone more clever than I think of any character names they want to add to this list?
Old 10-29-2005, 07:21 PM   #2
Beanamir of Gondor
Shade of Carn Dűm

Beanamir of Gondor has just left Hobbiton.
Eye Saw it....

Here's another thread in Mirth on what some Downers thought...Lord of the Beans

On a personal note, my sister's boyfriend's mother works for a Sunday school, and so she got to pre-order the movie from BigIdea... naturally, I couldn't resist, and so my sister and I borrowed the movie, and I got to see it.
The article doesn't do it justice. I laughed the whole movie long at the incredible inside jokes (including some stuff about orcs, Saruman, and Legolas). I don't know how much BigIdea paid New Line to get the rights to LOTR, but they used it well. The lines they picked to use... were hysterical. They were the lines that I laughed at during the real movie. And Silly Songs with Larry became Silly Songs with Elves... who make really bad puns... Plus there was the fact that it was only an hour long....

Anyway, if you like (or can stomach, for the guys) VeggieTales, you have to see Lord of the Beans when it comes out. It's hilarious. Unfortunately, I predicted that Bob (with his overlarge nose) would play Merry. There... really wasn't a Merry character, though there was a suspicious harvest gold waistcoat on a flobbit during Billboy's birthday party...

"I only lent you my body; you lent me your dream."
Beanamir of Gondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 08:58 PM   #3
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Thanks Beanamir . I definitely missed that earlier announcement. And thanks for the personal comments. With a name like "Beanamir", you must definitely be among the most qualified posters to give us a review.
Old 10-29-2005, 09:07 PM   #4
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Excellent review!

I have to see it now...

However, as regards this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanamir of Gondor
Anyway, if you like (or can stomach, for the guys) VeggieTales, you have to see Lord of the Beans when it comes out.
I know from personal experience that there are plenty of guys who love Veggie Tales.

I'm one of them.
Old 10-29-2005, 09:16 PM   #5
Gurthang
Sword of Spirit

Gurthang has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formendacil
I know from personal experience that there are plenty of guys who love Veggie Tales.

I'm one of them.
Add my name to that list. Who cares if they are made for little kids? They're hilarious! (And they have values!)

I can't wait to see it, it'll be great. Thanks for the review/preview Beanamir!
Old 10-29-2005, 09:30 PM   #6
arcticstorm
Shade of Carn Dűm

arcticstorm has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to arcticstorm Send a message via MSN to arcticstorm Send a message via Yahoo to arcticstorm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formendacil

I'm one of them.
as am I, Vegie tales is incredible, and I have been looking forward to this episode for a while. Shoot, my buddy icon on AIM is the pa grape as grumpy.
arcticstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 11:57 PM   #7
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Child of the 7th Age
It appears we have another adaptation of Tolkien. For those of you wanting to have a complete collection of DVDs, you might (or might not) want to consider investing in this:

Click on Toto Baggypants....

Once you hit the big time in popular culture, you never know what's coming next!

Can anyone more clever than I think of any character names they want to add to this list?

Well, I'm hardly more clever than you Child but as the author of Saladriel and Celery for REB I, I simply cannot resist this call to produce some verbiage beyond belief.

Goldberry I won't touch, but I will suggest Tom Broccadill, as a half measure.

I'm positive that Tolkien's younger brother Hillary, a farmer, gave him the name of Radishgast, which Tolkien sr. emended to Radagast.

The spare hobbits, who teach Rohan and Gondor the historical veracity of halfling, would of course be Parsnip and MungBean, who return to The Shire to marry Choy Sum and Snow Pea.

The great and wise elf who governs Rivendill would be Endive.

The two heroic sons of Gondor undoubtedly would be Beetamir--unfortunately borschted by Rutabaga the Orc--and Fennelmir.

There was that elf Leekofa also who had something to do with the story. And the big baddie was naturally Eye of the Spud. The two trees were also known as Pestorion and Cock-a-leekie, or sometimes Floralin.

Apologies to all who are fans of Veggie Tales, whose sensibility I might have dredged in too much vinegar. Obviously, I have no shame at this hour of the night when digging around in the punden.
Old 11-07-2005, 11:05 AM   #8
ElentariGreenleaf
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

ElentariGreenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
WHAT? I veggie tales i haven't seen AND its an adaptation of LotR!! Now this I must see... Sounds pretty cool. Hmmm, though, maybe I shouldn't watch it in case it gets LotR really badly wrong. Then i'd never want to watch veggie tales again. *hmmms 'oh where is my ring of power'*
Old 11-11-2005, 03:54 PM   #9
SunniGadi
Animated Skeleton

SunniGadi has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to SunniGadi Send a message via MSN to SunniGadi
Has anyone read Bored of the Rings? (Parody off of Lord of the Rings books, obviously)

It's quite odd...I think a lot of people would enjoy it though.

I am so getting that Veggie Tales dvd

Stuff should go here. It might eventually.
SunniGadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 12:32 AM   #10
Lolidir
Wight

Lolidir has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Lolidir
The good old days.

I remember Veggie Tales from when I was a kid, and then my nephew started watching them. I have seen them all. I first heard about Lord of the Bean when I was a Veggie Tales life with the little guy. I was a little more excited than I should have been but hey its LOTB. If done right it should be quite funny.
Old 11-13-2005, 11:16 AM   #11
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Well, my church was playing it for the Sunday School this morning, so I stopped in and was able to watch most of it, and I honestly didn't think it was anything special. As far as plot went, it had very little to do with LotR except in very rudimentary terms. (Granted, they were trying to put what was an essentially 10 hour movie into 30 min.) And even some of the themes I thought they might draw into it (mercy, friendship...) weren't there - they turned it into a thing about using your gifts. I'm not sure what I was expecting, but I was disappointed by it.

There was some good humor in it - for example, a slant on the Keebler Elves, but I didn't think it was as funny as most of the VeggieTales movies.
Firefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 12:17 PM   #12
Captain Grishnahk
Wight

Captain Grishnahk has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

Personally i loved VT as a smaller kid... and i still do. But when i heard they were mimicking LOTR i got sort of ticked. I always get ticked when people copy lord of the rings...

--J.R.R. Tolkien
Captain Grishnahk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 04:53 AM   #13
narfforc
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

narfforc has been trapped in the Barrow!
Origin of The Ents

What if, when Yavanna created The Ents, she used the mixed up parts of Trees and Vegetables. Then a Sycamore and a Cabbabage would be a Sycacabbage, or a Hazel and Broadbean would be a Hazbean, a Yew and Turnip would be a Yewturn but maybe an Ash and Brocolli would be a little Brash.
narfforc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 08:19 PM   #14
Lolidir
Wight

Lolidir has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Lolidir
I watched VT LotB with my little nephew the other day actually. Being a huge fan of Vt as a kid and LOTR now and forever more, I thought it was quite amusing and entertaining. Thats just my opinion though. And if it makes a difference my 4 year old nephew liked it too.
Old 01-21-2006, 07:30 PM   #15
Roa_Aoife
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Roa_Aoife is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I adore Vegitales. This movie had me laughing the entire time, especially the Silly Song. What can I say? Puns of that caliber have me on the floor in tears from laughing so hard.

And the elf with the cookie in the tree...

But my favorite line from the whole thing was, "Cookie Man say no." I think I stopped breathing for about five minutes after that one.

I didn't say you're evil, Roa, I said you're exasperating. -Nerwen
Roa_Aoife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 01:50 PM   #16
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to wilwarin538
I got this movie for Christmas. Its absolutly hilarious. I'm sure anyone on this site would enjoy it.

My favorite part was the guy with his "new umbrella".
Old 01-23-2006, 04:20 PM   #17
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to wilwarin538
Just like to add something.

To anyone who owns this movie on DVD, I suggest watching the Veggie Comentary in the Bonus Features. Its very, extremely funny. Just discovered it last night. Loved it!
Old 01-25-2006, 06:21 AM   #18
WaynetheGoblin
Shade of Carn Dűm

WaynetheGoblin has just left Hobbiton.
yes very funny comentery. It is something that when you watch you will be laughing your head off.