The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2007, 10:44 AM   #1
zxcvbn
Wight

zxcvbn has just left Hobbiton.
Re-release?

It's been over 6 years since Fellowship of the Ring released. Unfortunately I never got to watch it on the big screen the first time. So I was wondering...how about a large scale re-release of the LOTR trilogy after the Hobbit releases? The Star Wars films have been re-released umpteen times with general success. So why not LOTR?
They can release the extended editions, which most people never got to see.
zxcvbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 10:51 AM   #2
Thenamir
Spectre of Capitalism

Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
That's something I'd like to see -- a 9am-to-midnite movie marathon, starting with the two Hobbit movies, followed by all three extended-edition LOTR movies, back-to-back-to-back. Talk about a Butt-Numb-A-Thon!! (Devotees of Aint-It-Cool-News will appreciate the reference.)
Old 12-31-2007, 12:07 PM   #3
Sauron the White
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sauron the White has just left Hobbiton.
When they made the big announcement on the 18th of December there was another - unofficial - report that said one idea was to release THE HOBBIT at midnight and to precede it with showing all three Extended editions of the LOTR films. Given that the three run 11 hours and 20 minutes, with time between for short breaks, and another 2.5 to 3 hour HOBBIT film, thats some 15 hours of filmed Middle-earth. That would be taxing on the most fanatic of us.
Sauron the White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 12:13 PM   #4
zxcvbn
Wight

zxcvbn has just left Hobbiton.
I am not talking about a 15 hour marathon. There wouldn't be many takers for that!
I'm talking about releasing the Extended Editions one-by-one with one month intervals, similar to the 1997 Star Wars SE releases. In another 5-10 years or so; to allow the next generation of viewers to experience the magic as well as allow the original viewers too see the Extended Editionss on the big screen.
zxcvbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 11:40 PM   #5
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thenamir View Post
That's something I'd like to see -- a 9am-to-midnite movie marathon, starting with the two Hobbit movies, followed by all three extended-edition LOTR movies, back-to-back-to-back. Talk about a Butt-Numb-A-Thon!! (Devotees of Aint-It-Cool-News will appreciate the reference.)
YES!!!!!!!! I would love that! Especially because I didn't get to see them in the theatres the first time!(Me being like 6-10... somewhere around those ages!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zxcvbn View Post
I am not talking about a 15 hour marathon. There wouldn't be many takers for that!
I would most gladly take that... More pierogies please!(my mom and I have this tradition that every time we watch LotR we drink Henry Weinhard's root beer (it comes in bottles and tastes really good!) and eat pierogies!)... but I'm just crazy.... but I think Laurinque would do it with me though! We might be the only hard core fanatics in the whole state!...... well on second thought Alaska is pretty big... so I think in our area!
Old 02-18-2008, 02:01 PM   #6
Araréiel

Araréiel has just left Hobbiton.
I'd be there. In costume again! And I'll be making my boyfriend Aragorn's Strider costume as authentic as possible for Comic Con, down to leather and the baseball stitching butting certain panels together. The next one for me will be Arwen's chase costume in gray suede.
Araréiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 04:09 PM   #7
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatElvenWarrior View Post
YES!!!!!!!! I would love that! Especially because I didn't get to see them in the theatres the first time!(Me being like 6-10... somewhere around those ages!)
Me tooooo! (including the ages)

As long as it is the EE version
Old 02-20-2008, 07:22 PM   #8
Azaelia of Willowbottom
Shade of Carn Dűm

Azaelia of Willowbottom has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Azaelia of Willowbottom
Silmaril

I'd be all for re-release. I dunno if I'm patient enough to wait for the epic butt-numb-a-thon that Thenamir describes...That requires the two Hobbit films, and that's not looking possible until 2010, or most likely later.

I missed Trilogy Tuesday back in '03. I was 15 and it was a school day/night. My parents let me see ROTK on opening day, and even that took a lot of persuading. There was no way they were going to let me spend 9+ hours of my day in a movie theater, particularly since I likely would have had to leave school early (and would have had to stay out until the wee hours of the morning) in order to do so. Now that I'm in college, more of my afternoons are free, and I can decide on my own if something is worth being tired through class the next day.

I think that movie theaters (and New Line) would make quite a bit of money if they brought the trilogy marathon back to theaters. I know a LOT of people who would be very excited if something like that were to happen...and if they did it during a lazy summer weekend, I think that they'd get quite a turnout.
Old 02-21-2008, 02:35 AM   #9
Araréiel

Araréiel has just left Hobbiton.
I wanted to attend Trilogy Tuesday, but couldn't get tickets. To this day I wish I had payed a scalper or something.
Araréiel is offline   Reply With Quote