The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2005, 07:20 PM   #1
Lolidir
Wight

Lolidir has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Lolidir
What Happens to the Wood Elves?

there have been discussions on what happens to the elves as a result of their rings losing their power, but what happens to the Wood Elves of Mirkwood and other places? we know that it was Galadriel, Elrond, and Gandalf had the three eleven rings. but the wood elves didnt have one and therefore were not bound to the fate of the One Ring. so if they werent bound to it then would they still leave? they didnt really have a reason to other than the fact that everyone else was.

my theory is that they would stick around for a considerable amount of time before eventually going across. after a while all the other elves would be gone so they would see that the time of the elves was over. how long they stay i dont know, but seeing that especially in Mirkwood, they dont run the chance of men invading their territory because no one wants to live in a dark forest like that, so they would be able to continue to live the way they have for some time.

thats my theory but what do all of you guys think?

Last edited by Lolidir; 02-02-2005 at 07:23 PM.
Lolidir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 12:02 AM   #2
Fingolfin II
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Fingolfin II has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolidir
but the wood elves didnt have one and therefore were not bound to the fate of the One Ring. so if they werent bound to it then would they still leave? they didnt really have a reason to other than the fact that everyone else was.
Well, the Third Age was the decline of Elves and the set-up to the Fourth Age, which was the time of the Dominion of Men and the decline of other speaking-folk (i.e. Elves, dwarves, etc.). So that's why the Elves were leaving for Valinor. Besides, the Elves were leaving for Valinor throughout the Second and Third Ages- before the Ring was destroyed.

For an answer to your question, try looking in the Appendices of LotR. Briefly, the Silvan Elves of Mirkwood remained untroubled by the departure of their kin and as far as I know lived with Thranduil and either passed over Sea or stayed in Middle-Earth to an unknown fate (with the exception of Legolas, who's longing of the Sea was brought out by the gulls he saw). As for the Elves of Lothlorien, only a few remnants of their people 'lingered sadly' in Lorien (see 'The Tale of Arwen and Aragorn' in the Appendices).

EDIT- Here are the quotes:

Quote:
'Then she said farwell to Eldarion, and to her daughters, and too all whom she had loved; and she went out from the city of Minas Tirith and passed away to the land of Lorien, and dwelt there alone under the fading trees until winter came. Galadriel had passed away and Celeborn also was gone, and the land was silent.' -Appendix A, The Tale of Arwen and Aragorn
Also, a more substantial quote from Appendix B-

Quote:
In the Greenwood the Silvan Elves remained untroubled, but in Lorien there lingered sadly only a few of its former people, and there was no longer light or song in Caras Galadhon -Appendix B, The Tale of Years

Last edited by Fingolfin II; 02-03-2005 at 11:56 PM.
Fingolfin II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 03:09 AM   #3
Celebuial
Wight

Celebuial has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Celebuial
From reading The Book of Lost Tales I got the impression that the Silvan elves remained in Middle-earth but "faded". As Fingolfin II said, the fourth age was the dominion of Men, and I think that the elves kept their affairs to themselves and so became shadows of their former selves. I think that they became diminished and so all record and memory of them was lost. I'm sure that Tolkien explains it better. You should check out the book.
Boe min bango.
Celebuial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 05:58 AM   #4
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
I've often wondered about this - and also the related subject of the Avari and their fate. There have been threads on this,

http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=1468
http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=1626

These are the ones I can find but perhaps there are more...
Lalaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 06:02 AM   #5
Finwe-89
Wight

Location: In Lotholorien, looking in the mirror that shows that there is still hope for life...
Finwe-89 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Finwe-89
Legolas is a wood elf, prince of Mirkwood. And I've read that Legolas stayed forever on Middle-Earth. But maybe he's just an exception

Beware: Don't speak this loud when you're alone in the dark... Unless you really want it... But don't say I didn't warn you...
Finwe-89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 10:57 AM   #6
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Boots

Legolas went off to sail the high seas.

The change in 'climate' would have been uncomfortable for the Elves. Unappreciative neighbours becoming more apparent, less care for the arts, a more substantial litter problem (if I may be allowed a license to roam); it all adds up to a deeper longing for the Sea.

Plus, the ghost of Tolkien would have been giving them grief; haunting their halls, telling them to "Get a move on..."

Maybe. Authors can do that. Or so I've heard.
Old 02-04-2005, 01:54 PM   #7
drigel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

drigel has just left Hobbiton.
I could have sworn i caught a glimpse of one just the other day
drigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 02:37 PM   #8
Elladan and Elrohir
Shade of Carn Dūm

Elladan and Elrohir has just left Hobbiton.
Galadriel said that the destruction of the One Ring would mean the Elves had two options: either to pass over the Sea, or to remain in Middle-earth, slowly dwindling to a rustic folk of dell and cave (don't remember the exact quote). It would seem to me that the Wood-elves chose the latter option.

THE HOBBIT - IT'S COMING
Elladan and Elrohir is offline   Reply With Quote