The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2003, 06:57 PM   #1
Vahalla

Sting ROTK running time?

Don't know if this has been posted yet, but if true better use the restroom before seeing ROTK.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Take it for what its worth but I've gotten the following information from a pretty reliable scoop who has seen the rough cut of Lord of the Rings: Return of the King. He tells me this:<P>1. It is indeed, far and way better than both Fellowship and Two Towers.<BR>2. It was a 4 hour, 20 minute cut of the film.<BR>3. Feeling that he has proven audiences will gladly sit for 3 hours of quality cinema, Peter Jackson will try to leave the film's 1/6 of a day total time as is.<P>Again, don't take it for fact, but it's definetly some information that will cause a stir. 4 hours of "better than the first two" filmmaking. Wow. -- Kritik, Bikkit.com <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR>Wow if true. I don't care how long it is as long as it includes as much of the book as possible.<P><A HREF="http://www.bikkit.com/bikkit/content/movienews.asp?intnewsitemID=606" TARGET=_blank>Link to Article</A>
Old 05-08-2003, 07:00 PM   #2
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Massachusetts - digging up a bottomless hole, searching for something that's not there...
GaladrieloftheOlden has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via MSN to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via Yahoo to GaladrieloftheOlden
Pipe

I read an interview with Elijah where he said it would probably be approximately 3 hours and 30 minutes, unless PJ adds more than he was planning to during the summer. I'd rather it were 4 hours, though... <P>~Menelien
Old 05-08-2003, 07:46 PM   #3
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The only bad thing if it is really 4 hours long is that I am planning to go to the midnight showing and I have to go to school the next day. Which would mean that I would probably not get home until about <B>FIVE IN THE MORNING!</B><P>I guess I won't be getting much sleep that night
Old 05-08-2003, 11:29 PM   #4
Morquesse
Wight

Morquesse has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well Gorwingel, you could get rested up by sleeping through the movie. <BR>I think, that if there will a 4 hour 20 minute movie, that it would be the Extended Version. Because this is the last episode of the trilolgy, there will be more first-timers, and I don't think they will have patience for 4 hours first time. Plus the fact, I think PJ still has to follow the rules by puting only a 3 hour movie for the theater. But we still could hope for the Extended Version. <BR>See you later! <BR>~M<p>[ May 09, 2003: Message edited by: Morquesse ]
Old 05-09-2003, 12:22 AM   #5
Arathiriel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Arathiriel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arathiriel
Silmaril

Oh wow - if <B>ROTK</B> is indeed 4 hrs, 20 mins. long there <B>HAD BETTER</B> be an intermission because otherwise I am going to <I>explode</I> before I get up!
Old 05-09-2003, 07:50 AM   #6
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

4 hours 20 minutes?? That sounds... wow! Long! I'll keep my fingers crossed for an intermission. We got one for fotr, but not ttt. I almost died. Plus, I need constant snacks. More popcorn!
Old 05-09-2003, 09:33 PM   #7
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well according to TheOneRing.net it is NOT going to be 4 hours and 20 minutes. Instead is it going to have an amazing running time of 9 hours 38 minutes and 19 seconds (just joking)<P>No really it is probably going to be just a little longer than the first two films. But if you really want a four hours movie you can always still hope for the extended edition.
Old 05-09-2003, 11:19 PM   #8
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Massachusetts - digging up a bottomless hole, searching for something that's not there...
Send a message via AIM to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via MSN to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via Yahoo to GaladrieloftheOlden
Pipe

Are you sure about the sources of wherever you got that information? Because I read in a few places that the (non extended version) movie would be 3 hours 30 minutes. Not sure though, and I might be muddling things up in the middle of the night <P>~Menelien
Old 05-10-2003, 05:23 AM   #9
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

The cinemas of the United Kingdom do not believe, for reasons best known to themselves, in intermissions. Not for anything, no matter how long. The fiends. Even if you are being interrogated by the police you are let out for a pee every now and again. But the Odeons, Warner Villages and UGCs of this world consider themselves above such acts of common humanity and decency.<BR>I would happily sit in a cinema all day long if the film were good enough, but I *hate* the ignominy of having to crawl over my fellow film guests,apologising, and miss some exciting climax, just because I don't happen to have a bladder the size of a beachball. <BR>And if you've got kids with you, it's even more fun....<BR>Sorry, rant over.
Old 05-10-2003, 05:25 AM   #10
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pipe

Lol, I know what you mean. I've never been to a film with an intermission, except in those documentaries and things like that that they shw in museums, and this is in America. Where <I>do</I> they have intermissions in movies?<P>~Menelien
Old 05-10-2003, 09:56 AM   #11
Arvedui III
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arvedui III has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arvedui III
Shield

I would galdy sit through a four-hour ROTK without intermission, but I dunno if I have to. This was posted on The One Ring.net yesterday:<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Here is a report that comes from VERY reliable sources within the LOTR camp. In regards to this story we posted yesterday (which wasn't even our story, it came from another site). Take a look at what our insider has to say:<P><I>This is nonsense. They are still cutting the movie and do not know how long it will be, but it definitely won't be 4hrs & 20 minutes, nor should it be.</I><P>That knocks that rumor out the window, down the street and into someone's pot of flowers!<BR><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 05-10-2003, 10:11 PM   #12
Arwen Evenstar the Fair
Wight

Arwen Evenstar the Fair has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Awesome!!!! 4 hours and 20 minutes!!!!! That is soooooooo GREAT!!!!!!!!!! I can't wait for ROTK, I really hope it will be the best!!
Old 05-11-2003, 12:08 AM   #13
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: On the sand dunes outside of Ilium, watching it burn.
Everdawn has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

*everdawn's eyes light up* 4..hours..and..30..minutes... i..c-cant...w-wait! oh my god, just tihnk if it accutaly was!!!

~My lord, Éomer~
Everdawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2003, 09:20 AM   #14
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Guys, as Arvedui pointed out, this movie will not be 4 hours and 20 minutes long. As the top post said, this is a rough cut. I believe the rough cut for Fellowship was around the same length (it's mentioned somewhere on the extended DVD). The film would certainly be shorter.<P>My guess is it will be somewhere around 3 hours and 15 minutes to 3 hours and 30 minutes. PJ doesn't want his audience checking their watches before the film is done.<P>H.C.
Old 05-11-2003, 03:58 PM   #15
Mattius
Soul of Fire

Mattius has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

*sigh* I'll just have to wait for the Extended DVD then...<P>Ah well<p>[ May 11, 2003: Message edited by: Mattius ]
Old 05-16-2003, 08:10 AM   #16
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

I'm going to have to stick up for our cinemas and say that I cannot stand intermissions.<P>And I think its unlikely that the extended version will be 4 hours 20 minutes. It'll probably be almost 4 hours, with the cinema version going about 3 hours 20 or 30.
Old 09-29-2003, 06:37 PM   #17
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

Sting

From <A HREF="http://www.aint-it-cool-news.com/display.cgi?id=16205" TARGET=_blank>Ain't It Cool News</A><P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> The biggest request I get is for RETURN OF THE KING news, and it’s only out of my love for you (the reader) that I’m constantly applying the Chinese water torture to my loyal New Zealand spies. It’s tough getting good info (given that six days out of the week they’re chained up in Phillipa Boyen’s basement), but AICN-D can be the first to give you the *official* running time. The theatrical cut of LOTR:ROTK will run for three and a half hours (give or take a minute), as opposed to the oft-rumoured 3 hours, 4 hours, 4 ½ hours... So there you go. Start planning your Decembers around that. And don’t forget to thank NZ’s own Mr Fusion. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>H.C.
Old 10-01-2003, 06:21 PM   #18
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Obviously there are lots of rumoured times floating around here, but to save me time, could someone please tell me what the <B>confirmed</B> actual running time of RotK is? Thanks a lot.
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2003, 06:24 PM   #19
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

Sting

Nothing is official yet, but I would consider Ain't It Cool News the best source to date. It sure beats the I-got-a-friend-who-works-in-a-theatre type rumours which seem to be the prime source of most of these times.<P>H.C.
Old 10-05-2003, 09:51 AM   #20
Silmiel of Imladris
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmiel of Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Silmiel of Imladris
Sting

I wouldn't mind having an Extended version that long because then I can pause it.

Figwit on his name: Are you suggesting that I have the wit of a fig?
Silmiel of Imladris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2003, 10:29 AM   #21
*Varda*
Maiden of Tears

*Varda* has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to *Varda*
Sting

My bladder will just have to cope for 3 and a half hours, or however long it is, because there's no way I'm moving from my seat. Experience has told me that when I do that I miss a good bit.
Old 10-05-2003, 10:57 AM   #22
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

Sting

The lastest from <A HREF="http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=16241" TARGET=_blank>Ain't It Cool News</A>.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Okay, so last week we printed the ROTK running time, which was all cool and funky and quoted in other places. In further conversations with the NZ Spy Network, it became clear that it was the running time *at the moment*. They are still shooting footage for the film, things are still being added. The 3 ½ hour running time is what it is at the moment. But it was made clear that it’s unlikely to be any shorter than that, so our scooper Mr Fusion has done good. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I think we seriously need to begin asking ourselves, does this film need an intermission?<P>H.C.
Old 10-10-2003, 10:18 AM   #23
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

Pipe

If it goes to 4 hours, then I'd say it might need an intermission-BUT- I despise intermissions because they cheapen the viewing experiance. I think I might rather sit through a 4 hour movie than have to watch some of it- then brake up for 10 minutes or so- then watch the rest of it. I think it kind've ruins the moment, but oh well .
Old 10-10-2003, 11:01 AM   #24
kittygirl02
Haunting Spirit

kittygirl02 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to kittygirl02
Sting

Well, i don't care how long it is, but maybe I could get my friend to cut it so I could go to the bathroom. He does run the film thing you know...

I may be different, but differences don't make you special.It's what you do with your differences that make you special.
kittygirl02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2003, 06:14 PM   #25
Artalwen
Haunting Spirit

Artalwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Artalwen
Sting

Yeah, i had heard it would be either 3hrs, 3hrs 30min, or 4hrs 30min....i prefer 3hrs30min because then you are sitting there for eternity, and i'd prefer the extra stuff on the extended dvd.<BR>i'm so excited for the movie!!
The flowering stars, on crowns they hung
The dragon fire, in twisted wire
They meshed the light of moon and sun."
-verse from a song found in 'The Hobbit'-
Artalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2003, 04:23 PM   #26
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Rose Cotton has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> and i'd prefer the extra stuff on the extended dvd. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Ah...but remember, they took away about 15 minutes from the felloship for the Lothlorien gift scene. They consider that an extra while most fans grieved over not seeing it for five more months. What if something similar happens for RotK? <P>I personally feel that the longer the movie is the happier I'll be. It's the same way with books......though with books you can always take a break.
Old 10-11-2003, 04:26 PM   #27
kittygirl02
Haunting Spirit

Sting

Yep, I hate when people cut out stuff from movies. I am going to be really mad if it's completly against the book.

I may be different, but differences don't make you special.It's what you do with your differences that make you special.
Old 10-11-2003, 10:49 PM   #28
Artalwen
Haunting Spirit

Artalwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Artalwen
Sting

True, it will definitly suck to wait that long for the extended version...but i can wait. But ya know, I don't mind either way, honestly, whether it's long in theaters, or long in the dvd.
The flowering stars, on crowns they hung
The dragon fire, in twisted wire
They meshed the light of moon and sun."
-verse from a song found in 'The Hobbit'-
Artalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2003, 10:06 AM   #29
Elentári_O_Most_Mighty_1
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elentári_O_Most_Mighty_1 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> We got one for fotr, but not ttt <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> You get intermissions?<BR>I'm kind of with Lalaith on this- my tip, don't bring a drink into the cinema!!! I did for POTC and ended up missing a chunk. So, (what a shame), I went and saw it again. <BR>But on the other hand, I'm with Éomer too...intermissions do break it up which really is totally unnecessary. Hang on, which country are you from, Éomer? I'm from the UK, like Lalaith.
Old 10-12-2003, 07:13 PM   #30
Melichus
Haunting Spirit

Melichus has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The solution: just hook up your handy catheter and/or discreet bedpan.<P>
"The other [theme] had now achieved a unity of its own; but it was loud, and vain, and endlessly repeated; and it had little harmony...and it essayed to drown the other music by the violence of its voice, but it seemed that its most triumphant notes were taken by the other and woven into its own solemn pattern..."
Melichus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2003, 10:15 AM   #31
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

I saw FotR the first time in the US without an intermission, then again in Germany with one. I must say, the intermission spoiled the viewing experience for me, since it interrupted the flow of the story. Since I can't always travel to the US just to see the new movies ( ! ), I had to take TTT as it's shown here and will have to do the same for RotK. If I'm lucky, there may at least be one or two showings in English, otherwise I don't even get to hear the original voices.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2003, 11:14 AM   #32
dancing spawn of ungoliant
Mischievous Candle

Location: So near to Russia, so far from Japan, quite a long way from Cairo, lots of miles from Vietnam.
dancing spawn of ungoliant has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to dancing spawn of ungoliant
Sting

Intermissions? Never heard of any movie with an intermission.And RotK definitely shouldn't be one of the ones with it.
Old 10-13-2003, 12:58 PM   #33
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

Pipe

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Never heard of any movie with an intermission.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Gods & Generals.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>I am going to be really mad if it's completly against the book.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Don't look know, but Faramir already was. Point it: I wouldn't be suprised to see some fairly large changes, although we'll have to see I guess...<p>[ October 13, 2003: Message edited by: The Only Real Estel ]
Old 10-13-2003, 01:50 PM   #34
ElentariGreenleaf
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

ElentariGreenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well I never! Not being able to sit through a 4 & 1/2 hour film? I take it all those that can't won't be going to see the WHOLE DAY of LotR!!! Dec 16th!!! I probably won't be able to go, but I like to think I can. Extended FotR, then extened TTT, then new release of RotK!
Old 10-16-2003, 08:40 AM   #35
Arveleg
Pile O'Bones

Arveleg has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I'm sure it will be longer than the standard 3 hours if PJ wants it to be. but a full 4+ hours I doubt will appear initially at the theatres. It will wait for the extended DVD, and who knows... there may be an encore three extended movie showing at the end of 2004?
Arveleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 12:51 PM   #36
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

Pipe

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>there may be an encore three extended movie showing at the end of 2004? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>That would be cool, but it's already been addressed in another thread, where we decided that that wasn't going to happen (based on something PJ said).
Old 10-16-2003, 02:02 PM   #37
Earendil Halfelven
Wight

Earendil Halfelven has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

For all of you guys worrying about an intermission and the fact that your bladder doesn't last long, here's a tip that I learned and I've never had to leave a movie to go! Go to the bathroom before you leave for the theater and don't buy any drinks while your there!!!! I know that sounds impossible to do but it works-I know. Plus, it saves you money and then you can talk about what your friends missed in front of them when they had to take a potty break.
Old 10-16-2003, 08:32 PM   #38
ladyhwi
Newly Deceased

ladyhwi has just left Hobbiton.
3 1/2 hrs seems reasonable. No matter how long or how short I'm sad to see the end.<BR>And 2005 will be the last Star Wars. I am already looking forward to the extended ROTK DVD more so then the theatre version.<BR>I do hope Faramir is redeemed somehow. I loved Book Faramir in him the blood of the Numenoreans runs true Gandalf said and PJ thought it didn't matter. For Shame.
"I have not seen thy sunny face, Nor heard thy silver laughter: No thought of me shall find a place In thy young life's hereafter- Enough that now thou will not fail To listen to my fairy-tale." Lewis Carroll
ladyhwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 03:41 PM   #39
kittygirl02
Haunting Spirit

Sting

Yes, good advice. Here's more:<BR>1.If you can't wait any longer, go to the bathroom right when they show Arwen. That way you won't miss anything, and those scenes are the longest ones(well, at least to me,hehe)<BR>2.DO not get a large sized drink if you get a drink. You WILL regret it.<P>I frankly do not care how long it is, as long as I'm sitting in a good spot.And like I said, my friend runs the movie projector, and he can get me in for 1/2 price, so I'll sit with him.<BR>Good old Schaffer.

Old 10-28-2003, 02:32 AM   #40
Lasgalen
Wight

Lasgalen has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

RotK is listed as 3 1/2 hrs on this site: <A HREF="http://www.birch.com.au/movie/movie_4780.htm" TARGET=_blank>http://www.birch.com.au/movie/movie_4780.htm</A>