The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2003, 10:35 AM   #1
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Heads up, Minas Tirith

I was just thinking about Rotk and I suddenly remembered that in the book the enemy catapulted the heads of the dead back into the city. It was one of my favourite moments and I was wondering if it was to be a bonus of the third movie.<BR>Do you think the movie caters for a far too young audience for this sort of viewing? I would have said yes, but I think it would have been a lovely touch. I have not heard if it is in the movie or not.
Old 04-21-2003, 11:51 AM   #2
Airehiriel
Shade of Carn Dűm

Airehiriel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Meela, I think only you would love the scene with the heads flying into the city! HAHAHA!! It would be a very interesting thing to see if they put it in though.<P>I hadn't thought about them catering to the younger viewers. My mother won't let my 2 youngest siblings watch it. She thinks the Orcs and Nazgul would give them nightmares, and she's probably right, considering those two!
Old 04-21-2003, 01:17 PM   #3
Frodo Brandybuck
Pile O'Bones

Frodo Brandybuck has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

That would be great! I don't think Meela would be the only one enjoying that! I kinda wish PJ would have stuck closer to the books for TTT! I hate to think what might be in ROTK!
Old 04-21-2003, 02:17 PM   #4
Peri
Wight

Peri has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

That does sound interesting. Though if I would have seen it in the movie (and I having forgotten that this had even happened in the book) I probably would have thought that it was just one of PJ's lame attempts to make the scene more interesting to younger viewers. Knowing now that it is in the books, I'd have to say that I wouldn't mind seeing that.
Old 04-21-2003, 10:14 PM   #5
Elrond Jr
Pile O'Bones

Elrond Jr has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Wow, I never read that part! That would be so cool! But I can say almost as a fact that PJ wont put it in. Just think about it, he has to worry about ratings. And secondly he didnt even put Glorfindel in the movie. Those kind of details arent that impronant in lotr.
Old 04-21-2003, 10:30 PM   #6
Beruthiel
Shade of Carn Dűm

Beruthiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Those details aren't that important until rabid Barrowdowners run wild and demand to see heads being chucked into Minas Tirith...<BR>Just kidding <P>I liked that bit as well actually, it seemed to sad and yet gruesome and cruel at the same time. They might put it in, I mean there was an orc head on a spear in TTT which was pretty gross. How bad could a few more be? Plus its probably going to be PG13 anyway.
Old 04-22-2003, 02:04 AM   #7
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Sting

The closer the movie is to the books, the better I'll like it. Just an aside - Jane Chance in her book on LotR reckons that what Tolkien is doing in that episode is emphasising Denethor 'losing his head' by having heads hurled into the city! (of course, she does have some odd notions).
davem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 08:25 AM   #8
Manwe Sulimo
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Manwe Sulimo has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Manwe Sulimo
Sting

Perhaps, just as he is adding in more gore in the extended <I>TTT</I>, the extended <I>RotK</I> will have little bits like that. Although I don't see why we can't assume that the rocks flung by catapults will be heads....it's all about imagination.
Old 04-22-2003, 04:11 PM   #9
Rynoah, the Overly-Happy
Shade of Carn Dűm

Rynoah, the Overly-Happy has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Meela, I think only you would love the scene with the heads flying into the city!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>*pouts* But... but... I love the heads flying into the city too! I'm also a very big "gore whore". <P>I think it'd be wonderful if they added the heads bit, but it's highly doubtful, as has been mentioned. Maybe the extended version, but I doubt that as well.
Rynoah, the Overly-Happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 04:12 PM   #10
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

HA! I'm a gore whore... I love that!