Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2004, 06:43 AM   #161
Eorl of Rohan
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eorl of Rohan has just left Hobbiton.
The arrow scene - I wrote that all over again. It is not quite as dramatic, but it would do. I will post it here as soon as I am able.]

EDIT: Did anyone notice that I am trying very hard to portray Del as a carefree traveler? It's the opposite of my style - Ferethor's moody, confident, silent style. I thought - Hey, Atharen and Ferethor is kind of repetitive already - it would not do to introduce Del liek Ferethor. I am trying as best as I am able. However, my posts may seem rather forced and out of ordinary thing a carefree character would do. I pray you all to excuse me for that.

Last edited by Eorl of Rohan; 02-15-2004 at 07:29 AM.
Old 02-15-2004, 06:55 AM   #162
Eorl of Rohan
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Narya

Ferethor then took to tracking the expedition through the woods, spent wiht grief and the wound ever sapping his strength. He had little hope to catch up to a horseback company in such a state. Indeed, Ferethor would have fain laid himself down and embraced death as a welcome relief if his pride and stern will did not drive him on. So it was that he stumbled upon the camp, utterly spent, as the morning dawned.

Ferethor was fevered and his will almost swooned to the darkness, and he wandered long in the shadow of his thought. But the fire of life was hot still in this youth of Gondor, or fate spared him yet for another day. He was aroused from the stupor of his dark imagination by the beaming sunlight gleaming through the thick canopy of trees that overhung the glade and the wavy motion of the dew-besprangled leaves of green and silver that danced in the gentle breeze.

"It is well to see you return to your strength, Ferethor." Aelimur cam up and clasped the shoulder that was not heavily bandaged as ferethor sat up. Idruil smiled, saying "If Atharen here had not some skills of healing at need, dark would have been your future." Ferethor glanced at Atharen, who merely shrugged and said "Grievious indeed would have been your loss, Ferethor of Gondor, we have yet much more peril to ovecome." Then he broke into a half-hearted smile, rare indeed for him.

Ferethor realised with dismay that they had stayed their travel to wait for him to rise, and his chagrin and pride made him rise to his yet unsteady feet. "But we have more then forty leagues to cover if we are to reach Ithilien by nightfall. Let us make haste!"

Last edited by Eorl of Rohan; 02-15-2004 at 07:00 AM.
Old 02-16-2004, 01:44 AM   #163
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Notice to all players

The part of Carathir, the spy, will now be played by Everdawn.

I do want to remind everyone of one of the Shire rules for playing in RPG's:

Any player who goes missing for longer that 2 weeks without an explanation posted on the Discussion thread will be off the game. His character can then be killed or played by another player at the discretion of the owner.

~*~ Piosenniel, Game Moderator
Old 02-16-2004, 02:15 PM   #164
Aredhel Ar-Feiniel
Haunting Spirit

Aredhel Ar-Feiniel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril Message form Everdawn

Quote:
This was Maén taking a look at the plan of the building, she was going to be quick and then come out and form a plan with everyone else. This is not the breaking in. Maén is trickier than just to wander around the library. The sooner we can get this done the sooner we can leave Minas Tirith.
OK, and Kransha, she left the way open for your character to spot them looking around.

If there are any questions about this, i can relay them to Everdawn.
Old 02-16-2004, 08:49 PM   #165
Eorl of Rohan
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I don't think Everdawn is in the state to take over Carathir, with her accident and all. I already have Del to take care of, though, so I can't possibly take on three characters, I think.

Everdawn, can you make it? Or should one of us take care of Carathir?
Old 02-16-2004, 10:25 PM   #166
Aredhel Ar-Feiniel
Haunting Spirit

Narya

I owuld say the same Eorl. Id gladly let you be the one to tell her no, (you may or may not get your head bitten off.) Besides, I saw her last night and she seemed keen to do it, and you know she'll be out of hospital in a few days, possibly Wednesday, depending on things, and then she can come back.
Old 02-16-2004, 10:27 PM   #167
Eorl of Rohan
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

OK, I will do Carathir thingy until Everdawn comes back.
Old 02-16-2004, 10:30 PM   #168
Aredhel Ar-Feiniel
Haunting Spirit

Ah! I still have to visit this afternoon and give her the posts for today, she has already started writing for Carathir, and form what she explained to me about the story (explanation? more like a lecture!) I think she is really taking to Carathir.
Old 02-16-2004, 10:55 PM   #169
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Eorl

Thanks for your offer to take over the spy . . .

But, Everdawn has made her wishes clear to me - she wants to write for Carathir.

So, thanks again, but please let Everdawn handle the character.

~*~ Pio, Game Moderator
Old 02-16-2004, 11:38 PM   #170
Eorl of Rohan
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

OK I hope she did not take offence, I was trying to help

Eorl

I'm sure she didn't, and your offer was appreciated. But Everdawn is the owner and has a good hand on what she does and does not want done.

Thanks again!

~*~ Pio

Last edited by piosenniel; 02-17-2004 at 12:07 AM.
Old 02-18-2004, 02:01 PM   #171
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
A question concerning the Archive entry: sorry, but who is actually going in, and why exactly?
Old 02-18-2004, 05:56 PM   #172
Melisil
Wight

Melisil has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Quote:
who is actually going in, and why exactly?
I was wondering who aswell, and also, while whoever is doing the breaking in is breaking in, what are the other characters doing?

Aman, they're going in so that they can find papers confirming that everything Maen suspects is true. To make they're not going on this quest for no reason.
Old 02-18-2004, 08:35 PM   #173
Eorl of Rohan
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Not to mention I am wondering why Eorl's offering the keys completely ignored by Crystal.
Old 02-18-2004, 09:31 PM   #174
Eorl of Rohan
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

CONSULTATION ABOUT POETRY

I had a whim to write a poetry of lore and insert it into one of the posts which will be given here. It was intended to give a feeling of 'LOTR',but needless to say it is an utter failure. Pathetic, really. It has no direct relevance to the business at hand, so it could be taken out easily. However, I worked hours on the thing and am reluctant to actaully discard it.

I would like your opinions whether I should take this poetry out or leave it there.
Old 02-18-2004, 09:52 PM   #175
Eorl of Rohan
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ferethor wondered at the vast Hall of Archives, for it was of exequisite workmanship. He breathed, "The skill of stonewrights in the Dwarven kingdom of Dale has little been lessened by time." Many-shaded torches cast their colorful light of mingled hue in the hall, revealing towering pillars of marble and rich taperstries woven of scarlet and gold. And preserved in bronze caskets bound with silver, countless scrolls of history and lore met his amazed glance. Ferethor was a captain learned in the lore of his people yet ever thirsting for more, and these appealed to the part of his mind that yearned for knowledge

((This is why Ferethor lingers after everyone else escapes, giving guards the chance to enter and surround Ferethor))

Even as he stood speechless with wonder, Aelimur broke the stunned silence of the group. "Maen, no offence, but how are we going to find the incriminating evidences our of all these rubbish?" Ferethor remembered that Aelimur cared little for lore. Maen replied, somewhat shaken, "I don't know".

((And from here is the poetry part.))

Ferethor knelt, carefully lifting a crumbling scroll from a nearby casket. He caught his breah upon unrolling it, for it was written in the Old Adunaic of Numenor which was now faded from the memories of men. The jagged and angled forms bore no more then rude semblance of flowing letters of Gondor. Ferethor read aloud, his clear voice breaking the dark, forboding silence.

((I'm not sure if letters used in Numenor is really jagged and angled, I just assumed it would be from the harsh and gutteral language.))

Where now dwells the Numenor?
Seek not the Westernesse,
For they foundered beneath the sea,
Passing away for evermore.

Once was Numenor glorious
And Edain the kings among Men
Until Sauron of the many-guises
Sought to take dominion

Shadowed was its fair demeanor
By Gorthaur the wise-seeming
Ever sweet he shaped his words
Subtle poison hidden beneath

Gift of Iluvatar did Sauron scorn
With everlasting life he lured
And Ar-pharazon ever heeded
His twisted counsel woven of lies

So ban of Valar did they break
The proud sons of Westernesse
War upon Aman did they wage
Sealing their doom full-wrought

Appalled did the Faithful see
the sea swallow Numenor
Its foundation lost among waves
In the wrath of Eru the Mighty

Sorrowfully still the Faithful sing
Of Atlante which is no more
And great majesty and splendor
of Numenor that passed away

Even as Ferethor finished reciting, Atharen said softly, "It is a part of Lay of Atlante, which sings of Numenor's downfall." Ever practical, Aelimur broke in. "But old lores and bygone history is not going to help us much, gentlemen. What is to be done?"

Last edited by Eorl of Rohan; 02-19-2004 at 07:26 PM.
Old 02-19-2004, 11:34 AM   #176
Crystal Heart
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Crystal Heart has just left Hobbiton.
Hey Eorl of Rohan-you offered keys? Alright, must have missed that post. Why don't you try again? Act as if you are mad at her for not ignoring you. The character of Crystal is a little busy thinking about many different things. Let's work that into the equation.

I really like your poetry. Very nice. I think it would be neat to add it in there, but how can we in an RPgame? Just wondering. First game for me. I'm sure you all can tell.

~Crystal
Old 02-19-2004, 12:29 PM   #177
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Poetry is fine in an RP. And I think Eorl's post intro's it nicely. It layers the storyline a little, giving an expanded glimpse of the character who recites and comments on it.

~*~ Pio
Old 02-20-2004, 01:36 AM   #178
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: On the sand dunes outside of Ilium, watching it burn.
Everdawn has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril Well, im back...

Hello people! Im back and I see Aredhel told you of my little... catastrophe. And thanks to Aredhel for helping me out. You guys have done a great job. The next few days I will only be able to sit up at the computer for short amounts of time so bear with me.

So answering some questions...

Who is going in... I havent figured it out, volunteers?

EDIT: Yes, i really want to do Carathir now, i think he will tie in really well with what i have planned. I did have a PM a while ago from Thengel saying he/she was busy with exams, so if Thegel comes back ill give Carathir back but until then im taking him as mine. Thankyou for offering though Eorl.

~My lord, Éomer~
Old 02-20-2004, 01:39 AM   #179
Eorl of Rohan
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Volunteering, as I would have to if I were tog et ambrushed by the guards.

Welcome back, Everdawn! You aren't offended at my 'application' for Carathir?
Old 02-20-2004, 02:00 AM   #180
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

Seriously, I dont get offended easily... I will have a post up for Carathir in a day or two, possibly tomorrow. Carathir will just hang outside.

~My lord, Éomer~
Old 02-20-2004, 02:08 PM   #181
Kransha
Ubiquitous Urulóki

Location: The port of Mars, where Famine, Sword, and Fire, leash'd in like hounds, crouch for employment
Kransha has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Kransha
Hello again.
I know it seems like I haven't posted in an eternity, but it's sort of obvious why. Until everyone leaves the Archives, Idruil has nothing to do. When exactly will that happen, if you don't mind me asking? I should prepare a post of some kind so I can finally start interacting with the other characters in this RPG. I could submit another post with Idruil randomly wandering around in the Library, outside or near the aforementioned door. After a few introductory posts, Idruil's thoughts are pretty clear, but it's still unknown how he reacts to other people, which is something I have to work on.

-Aeschylus, Song of the Furies

Last edited by Kransha; 02-20-2004 at 02:12 PM.
Old 02-20-2004, 07:09 PM   #182
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ill have the break in written today and posted by tonight.

~My lord, Éomer~
Old 02-20-2004, 08:57 PM   #183
Kransha
Ubiquitous Urulóki

Location: The port of Mars, where Famine, Sword, and Fire, leash'd in like hounds, crouch for employment
Ok, I added another post exploring Idruil as a character in the library. He'll just be milling until the group exits. Then, well, you know the drill.

Old 02-21-2004, 04:41 PM   #184
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

White-Hand

I know i said id have the post up by last night, but I got very tired very quickly and the parentals made me to to sleep. It will be up soon though and then we can get on with the rest of the game.

~My lord, Éomer~
Old 02-22-2004, 02:50 AM   #185
Eorl of Rohan
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ah, I was just wondering, how would Atharen and Aelimur rescue Ferethor from the sentinels in the Hall of ARchives? I've thought about it the whole day and the only solution I came up with was Atharen to slip a kindjal into Meren's back and escaping in the confusion that issued.

But not only way Meren a 'good character', this kind of sneaky underhandedness is not very preferable, but I have not yet discovered any other solution out of the problem.

I would like your opinions and ideas, please.
Old 02-22-2004, 02:53 AM   #186
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I have no idea what youre talking about...

~My lord, Éomer~
Old 02-22-2004, 02:55 AM   #187
Eorl of Rohan
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

The plan was that Ferethor would linger after the others left in the Hall of Archives, and the guards informed beforehand would come out and surround him, remember?

And then it was concluded that Atharen and Aelimur would save the day and get Ferethor rescued - somehow. But What I am asking is, How?
Old 02-22-2004, 07:50 AM   #188
Eorl of Rohan
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ferethor noted that the citadel guards here were mostly youths without experience in battle. They were also armed only with spears, which was almost of no use in close combat like this. Moreover, they were reluctant to shed blood of a fellow Gondorian. Ferethor the Captain of Guards was also known and admired by many young sentiniels and all have heard of the fame of his valour and skill of arms. He may yet break out of this ring...

((And the rescue scene should be continued from here. I will write an example. However I do not want to misuse Atharen character without Amanaduial the Archer's permission, and this may seem like a misuse.))

The entrance door slid open silently. Ferethor stared with only a widening of the eyes that betrayed his fear and amaze at Atharen with a silver-bound kindjal in his hand. 'Fool!' He thought, panic gleaming in his eyes, "If he is captured as an accomplice, who'd protect the company, for Eru's sake?"

Atharen slid his knife into Meren's back just as silently, and Meren crumpled without a gasp. Knowing that he had no more choice, Ferethor twisted himself free of the surprised Guards, who have not yet recovered from their shock. Ferethor drew his slender elven blade with a fluid movement, his years of experience and hardened reflex taking over in the instant chaos and confusion that issued. Even as Ferethor slashed out of the room, Atharen slammed the outside door shut, the door where the soldiers have entered from.
Old 02-22-2004, 12:31 PM   #189
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Sorry. one of the sentences in that passage is rather confusing...
Quote:
Ferethor stared with only a widening of the eyes that betrayed his fear and amaze at Atharen with a silver-bound kindjal in his hand. 'Fool!' He thought, panic gleaming in his eyes, "If he is captured as an accomplice, who'd protect the company, for Eru's sake?"
First of all, what is a kindjal? Secondly, when you say '"fool!" he thought' - who thought, Atharen or Ferethor? I would rather you did not use Atharen from his own point of view; I'm generall quite relaxed about use of my characters, but please keep it focused from your own character rather than mine. Thanks

Thirdly: Do I have to kill him? Somehow I think a ranger of the same descendance as the King, and who fought in The Last Alliance, and who, as already mentioned, feels he has an alliance with Gondor...would not be altogether keen to be going about killing the Gondorian soldiers. Just a thought However, if I do injure him, would you be content if it wasn't fatal? Rather than attempting to kill one of the guards which will only completely infuriate them and, thinking about it, probably jerk them into action, it would probably be more effective generally if the ranger, or whoever, grabbed one of them - Meren, if you wish - holding him, whatever, at knifepoint, so as to prevent any of the guards from injuring any of his company. The guards would not want to be responsible for any injury of another fellow guard, and would possibly still be quite shocked, and so Ferethor would be able to wriggle away, folllowed by Aelimur (who would be there, right?). Atharen would throw back the guard and follow suit, slamming the door behind them and, if at all possibly, jamming or locking it in some way.

Rather dramatic and much less violent. What do you say?
Old 02-22-2004, 02:34 PM   #190
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Eorl

Let's do change that reference, and use a descriptive phrase for the knife.

Kindjals are Russian weapons, mostly from the Georgian Republic. They were a weapon of choice by the Cossacks - long, double edged knives good for close combat - slashes, cuts, and thrusts.

This is a Middle-earth based game, the word kindjal would not be an approriate reference.
Old 02-22-2004, 02:47 PM   #191
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Thanks Pio

Hmm. Now, much as I'm sure Atharen would be delighted to have a kindjal, it isn't really appropriate; his dirk or one of the few daggers he keeps about his person would probably do. But are you alright with my alternative plan?
Old 02-22-2004, 05:58 PM   #192
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

So... (sorry, im a bit out of it today) But are you wanting a fight after the archives?

Becuase I was thinking Slip in, slip out and make Maén think that she got away with it and then hit the road as soon as possible because in all Honesty im starting to get bored.

-Everdawn

~My lord, Éomer~
Old 02-22-2004, 10:37 PM   #193
Eorl of Rohan
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

He in the post? Of course I meant Ferethor, I would not presume to act like God who knows everything about what others are feeling. You may reast easy on that point, Atharen. No, Amanduaial. I'm getting confused

I heard the word kindjal somewhere, and I thought it was another word for simple dagger of some sort. Thank you for clarifying what a kindjal was, Piosenniel! Of course, since this is Amanduial's character, he may choose what weapon Atharen uses.

Yes, the 'killing' part was what bothered me, too, and sought for your permission. I have already pondered the part about 'holding aknife before' dramatic scene, but decided that this kind of thing would not work with Gondorian soldiers who'd be loyal enough to give up all their lives. Maybe an injury that was not really fatal? But as I said, if you wish it without any bloodshed -so it shall be.
Old 02-22-2004, 10:47 PM   #194
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

Ok what I need to know now is who is going in... So far I have Ferethor and Maén, possibly Crystal and Atharen, is that ok and the others can stand watch. Any suggestions?

~My lord, Éomer~
Old 02-23-2004, 08:06 AM   #195
Hama Of The Riddermark
Shade of Carn Dûm

Hama Of The Riddermark has just left Hobbiton.
I'd like Roryn to go in, but to stand sentry, rather than actually do the stealing...when Ferethor get's surrounded, he then backs off, knowing that it isn't a good idea to fight all the guards...
Old 02-23-2004, 11:59 AM   #196
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

So....

Ferethor and Maen go in to get what they seek, Ferethor would linger for a bit just curious about the Archives, not really suspecting any trouble, and meanwhile the younger soldier has alerted some guards about the break-in; they storm in, surrounding Ferethor, ready to arrest or kill him. Meanwhile outside, the others are getting impatient about exactly what is taking Ferethor so long, and some, Atharen included, have a rather bad feeling about his delay...Atharen and Crystal (?) go back in to find Ferethor surrounded. They get him out as described above, slam and jam the door to delay the guards a bit, and then get as far away as possible sharpish.

They should probably then disperse into, say, groups of two or three so as to make themselves less conspicuous, as the guards would be looking for them all together in their larger group, agreeing to meet up later, maybe in the Inn used before. What do youse think?

Ok...Everdawn or Eorl, you should probably write the first part; get into the archives etc and have Ferethor a-lingering etc, then surrounded...that should take you a few posts, and can I ask that you don't go further than that, Eorl? I'd like to have a bit of a write in for the attack
Old 02-23-2004, 03:08 PM   #197
Kransha
Ubiquitous Urulóki

Actually, that works very well.

The guards are locked/stuck inside the Archives and the company has to flee swiftly. Unfortunately, there path would be blocked by Idruil (FINALLY!). Gives Maen more motivation to offer him a position in the legacy company quickly.

Must prepare a post for that. I'm off!

Old 02-23-2004, 11:33 PM   #198
Eorl of Rohan
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

The VAST HALL OF ARCHIVE post is through, thank goodness!

So, Atharen, do you mean to shed blood or not?
Old 02-24-2004, 04:51 AM   #199
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

White-Hand

I will be working on a post for Carathir tomorrow, maybe he can meet Kransha's character outside the archives.?

~My lord, Éomer~
Old 02-24-2004, 05:59 AM   #200
Kransha
Ubiquitous Urulóki

Anything sounds good to me right about now.