User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2006, 03:10 PM   #41
Arry
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arry has just left Hobbiton.
Wulfham

Vaenosa led the way to the wooded area. She kept the group at a fair pace, but held back enough that the four had at least some semblance of riding together. Brand continued to ride at the back, his eyes taking note of the area along the way. For the most part, the ground was rocky soil, and seemed undisturbed by the passage of animal or man or other.

Clumps of low growing bushes grew here and there with the occasional shrubby tree. He had heard that in the long gone days this area had been heavily forested, a green and rolling land. There had been no stories he recalled from his parents or those gatherings at the Lord’s hall which explained it fully and Brand wondered what it was that had happened or who had caused it.

The small, forested area must be a remnant of that long gone forest, he thought as they drew near it and rode under the bare trees. Most of their leaves had already fallen, though a few still bore a few, sere remnants that rattled dryly in the little breeze from off the river.

Dorran volunteered to set up for the midday meal while the others gathered wood for their evening camp. Brand hauled out the coil of slender rope he’d packed and asked that the two women come with him.

The trio had been at their task for a good while - gathering the smaller branches, breaking them into arm lengths and binding them into bundles that could be secured to the horses. At one point, Brand drew near where Vaenosa was working and keeping himself at a distance still from her, he began to speak.

‘I’d ask a favor of you, Vaenosa. In this task the March-warden has set us, I’d like to keep my place at the back of the group as we ride. Shepherd as I am, that’s the place I think my skills can best be used. You’re a good rider, as you’ve shown this first day out. If you’ll set the pace, I’ll keep my eyes and ears open for any unusual signs in the areas we pass through that might bode ill for us.’

He turned back to the bundle of wood he’d gathered and crouching down, began to bind it at either end. ‘Oh, and as we must all depend on one another to get through this journey safely,’ he spoke low, almost as an after thought. ‘We should try to stay in sight of each other. Should we be attacked from the rear, I would like to know you would be near enough to ride back and give me aid.’

Brand stood, flexing his back to work the soreness from it. He picked up several of the bundles he’d bound and balanced them on his shoulders. His stomach rumbled loudly, protesting its lack of food. ‘I sure hope Dorran’s dug deep and found us something good to eat. And tea,’ he said his steps taking him in the direction of their small camp. ‘It would be nice to have something hot to drink. The day grows colder . . .’

Last edited by Arry; 02-09-2006 at 02:18 AM.
Old 02-08-2006, 11:47 PM   #42
Tevildo
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tevildo has just left Hobbiton.
Wulfham

Dorran had managed to get a small fire lit and had pushed two long sticks into the ground, each with a Y-shaped prong at the end; a crosspiece was propped up between them. A small pot with boiling water hung down from the crosspiece. Dorran knelt beside the pot and set a small bag of herbs inside of it, watching it bubble merrily. Unlike some of the other young men he knew, Dorran had always enjoyed cooking. Learning to cook had been a necessity with both his parents gone and needing to care for his younger sister, epecially after their elderly kinswoman had first passed on.

A spot of hot herbal brew would do well at this point, he reflected, as he watched the steam rise from the pot and poured himeself a cup. The weather seemed to be a bit nippier than it had earlier that morning, or perhaps it was only the fact that a cloud or two blocked out the rays of the sun. Dorran was having a harder time finding anything to fix for the meal. He'd stalked around the campsite but could find no evidence of birds or small game nesting anywhere nearby. The absence of such wildlife was mildly upsetting. Usually, you could find such creatures hidden away in thick thatched grass that grew near the edge of a bushy thicket like this. But the ground here was too barren and rocky. He'd found one poor squirrel hiding in a hollow wooden log, but didn't have the heart to kill the only animal in sight, especially when it looked so puny.

In the end he stumbled upon a damp plot of land adjacent to a spring, a plot no bigger than a few feet across, where mushrooms grew in thick clumps. He harvested these and brought them back to make into a simple stew. He was not much on mushrooms, and all of the group still had other food in their packets that Aldwulf had given them. But it was probably wise to try and stretch the provisions they had by gathering things from the bounty of the land or hunting down small animals. They really had no idea how long it would take to reach Edoras, and it was best to be careful. His sister had given him so many biscuits in his satchel that he set these out on a plate to offer to the others. He thought there might be some berries nearby and hoped that someone had managed to find some. He went about his business and wondered when the others would be back in camp so they could sit down and eat.

Last edited by Tevildo; 02-13-2006 at 02:05 PM.
Old 02-09-2006, 03:56 AM   #43
Undómë
Shade of Carn Dûm

Undómë has just left Hobbiton.
Bregoware

Meghan

‘Sounds a fair enough plan to me,’ said Meghan, urging her mount a few steps away from Osmod’s, giving his horse room to move about. She looked at the man curiously. There was a sense of unease about him, as if he were unsure of himself. Now isn’t that interesting, she thought. Her first thoughts about the rich man’s son were that he would most likely be overbearing, eager to gather what glory there might be to himself, make all decisions according to his whims. She pursed her lips, considering she might have been hasty in her judgment of him.

Fionn pulled up alongside Meghan. His horse was a spirited one and pranced about in a circle as his rider tried to rein him in. Meghan nodded to him, moving her horse again lest she be mashed between the two men’s mounts.

‘So, how about we get moving on,’ Meghan called out as she kicked Ash lightly in the flanks and set her moving westward. ‘We can talk more about our plans for when we’re across the river while were filling our bellies.’ She shrugged her shoulders, shaking off a feeling of apprehension. ‘I’ve never been across the river. Never saw the need to. Have any of you?’
Old 02-09-2006, 07:30 PM   #44
Eowyn Skywalker
Shade of Carn Dûm

Eowyn Skywalker has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Eowyn Skywalker
Bregoware

The words swirled around her, it seemed, lost to her ears and yet not to her mind. Eostre forced herself to focus on what was being said, distrusting of the people around her (for what would one expect of a woman unmarried by choice?). Osmond's eyes seemed to linger on hers for a far longer length of time than the other riders, though his words were hardly directed to anyone in particular.

"...Our mission is indeed urgent but we need to spend our energy wisely, it will not do to push ourselves harder than what we can manage... I would advise we get going at sunrise so that we get to the rafts and cross the river by noon tomorrow..."

Waiting until the other girl had finalized her reply, Eostre spoke up in a vaguely tired tone. "It would, yes, be better if we were off far earlier in the morrow. Time is of essence, but I doubt any of our group wishes to die of exhaustion rather than the sword." An ignominous fate that would be, she thought to herself. But what had left the other girl to abandon conversation that fast? Was she untrusted by more than just their leader as his lingering eye contact seemed to suggest?

"I crossed the river once before," she said in response to Meghan's remark. "But it was a few years back now. 'Tisn't hard, if that's what you fear."
Old 02-10-2006, 04:10 AM   #45
Undómë
Shade of Carn Dûm

Bregoware

Rædwald

Líss walked along at a fair pace, but one that would not be hurried. She cared not that the man who rode her often nudged her with his heels, nor that he clucked at her with his tongue to get her to move faster. She came to a full stop, in fact, at one point, and swung round her head to give him a baleful look. Shaking her mane, she snorted, then stomped a fore hoof as if in comment on his irksome attempts. Her tale twitched in agitation, stinging him slightly as it slapped hard against his thighs. He noted though she was not vexed as yet to the point of turning round to nip him on the leg. Preceding that action would be the laying back of her ears and the drawing back of her great lips from those big teeth. Nay, he thought to himself, we have not got to that impasse yet.

‘Go on, then you great beast,’ he spoke to her, in an as authoritative a tone as he dared. ‘Set your own pace, you mis-named hunk of horseflesh. And I hope as when the Orcs and other beasties come near, you might be so gracious as to pick up your speed a bit then.’ Rædwald kicked at her flanks again, and was rewarded with a resumption of forward movement.

‘What was I thinking when I named you ‘Líss’,’ he spoke aloud. ‘You are no more gracious, sweet, kind, or peaceful than is a prickly, sticker bush.’ Líss nodded her head up and down as if to agree. ‘Your mother now . . . she was sweet as honey, and fast as a quick west wind.’ He leaned over and patted the horse on the neck. ‘And she had good manners, mind you, and always listened to what I wanted.’ The dun mare snorted at the listing of her mother’s attributes.

‘Ah, well . . . at least let’s try to get to their campsite before the fires gone out and the hot water for tea gone cold.’ He flicked the reins lightly, all the while speaking in his most encouraging voice. ‘There’ll be a measure of oats in your nosebag, my sweet, if we get there then.’

The pace picked up, if only a little, at the mention of oats. Rædwald drew his cloak closer about him. The brightness of the sun in the clear sky was belied by the chill autumn breezes.
Old 02-10-2006, 10:14 AM   #46
Farael
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: In hospitals, call rooms and (rarely) my apartment.
Farael has just left Hobbiton.
Bregoware

They rode in an uncomfortable silence for the best part of an hour, until Fionn who had ran ahead to find a good place to stop came back with news that there was a small forest less than five minutes away. It might have been a forest a long time ago, yet this place had been cleared for the most part and not very recently. Moss grew on the withering stubs of what may have been great trees generations before. Osmod wondered absentmindedly if the rafts they were going to take had consumed this forest. It was not a pleasant thought but rafts were necessary, even more so for his quest.

They found a comfortable place, nearing the woods and yet with a few stubs they could sit on. The horses were unsaddled and set free to find some food for themselves, while the riders discussed their plans.

“I am concerned about Miss Eostre’s last comment. I did not think that making for the rafts before noon tomorrow would be much haste, but I’m not used to ride with other people’s company. Maybe you are not used to the same pace I am. I think we should all have a say on the pace of our group, we will do what ever most of us want to. Once that is settled maybe we could collect some wood for our meal. Soon it might be too dangerous to light a fire, but I think we are still safe enough.”

Having said that, Osmod grabbed a short branch that was laying nearby and drew a small pattern on the ground as the others considered their response. Whether the drawing was a name, a rune or a picture the riders could not tell. As the silence seemed to go on, Osmod looked up at them, finally making up his mind.

“Perhaps I am not the right person to lead us all. Miss Eostre, you seem to believe you know better while I doubt myself. I could not expect others to trust me when I have not the experience of being a leader. Maybe you should lead us.”

Last edited by Farael; 02-12-2006 at 12:50 AM.
Old 02-10-2006, 10:58 AM   #47
Valier
Twisted Taleswapper

Valier is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Wulfham

Vaenosa finished tying the last bundle of wood to take with them on their trip, she would wait till the last possible time to put them on Nay's back. He hated things on him for too long, which could be a problem on their journey.

Brand asked her if she would care to ride up front, and slyly hinted that she should stay with the group. Vaenosa was one who could not pass at the chance to pick fun of men so she said coyly and quietly. " Oh but good gentleman, that is how I would prefer it, me up front or rather...up wind.... from any foul wafting. I understand my sprint gave you all a fright, but I assure you I know what I'm doing. Piling the bundles in her arms she turned her back and walked away.

She pluncked the bundles not far away, but she did not head to the fire and the warm tea just yet. She had been here before and thought she was pretty close to a spot where there might still be berries clinging to the branches. She headed down a small rock path that lead to a slightly misshapen tree, left and just through a large earth overhang ,there was a large thorny bush of wild berries. Vaenosa pulled out her riding gloves from her belt, these would come in handy with those pesky thorns.

Vaenosa literally emerged from the bush half an hour later, with scratches to prove it. She had a broad smile upon her face, she had folded her tunic to cradle the heavy load she had produced. These berries were still fairly plump and juicy, the birds had not dared to venture that far into the thorny lair. She made her way back down the path that led to the small circle of people and horses.

She strode into the camp and made her way to Dorran. "Mistress Dorran, could you possibly find some use for these?" As she tipped her tunic slightly to show the young man the berries. "I will put them here" she said after reaching up and pulling a few leaves from a tree, she motioned towards a patch of grass, where she laid the leaves with the berries cradled on top.

All of a sudden she heard a squeal from where the horses were, wheeling around she saw Nay nipping one of the other horses, a female in the haunches chasing her around a nearby tree." Nay! you insufferable lout leave that Mare alone!" She started head long for her horse when she nearly ran right into Incana who was running to save her horse from the rambunctious colt.

Last edited by Valier; 02-12-2006 at 06:48 PM.
Old 02-12-2006, 12:39 PM   #48
Undómë
Shade of Carn Dûm

Bregoware

Meghan

‘Well, none of us seem like the right person,’ Meghan spoke up before Eostre had time to answer. ‘We’re farmers and herders. What do we know about going off on some dangerous errand for the march-warden?!’ She bit off a piece of the dried apple slice she’d been eating and chewed on it thoughtfully.

‘What’s that you’ve drawn in the dirt, Osmod? Some kind of map?’ She looked at it, her brow wrinkling. ‘See, now I wouldn’t make a good leader for this at all. As I said I’ve never been to the other side of the river. I know we’ll be heading west at some point to get to the King’s Hall. But “west” - where? Do we go farther south, down the river first?’

Meghan walked round the little drawing, then paused and looked toward the wide expanse of the river. ‘I like the idea of each of us having a say in things . . . but, there should be some one, don’t you think who decides which things to pay heed to and which can be discarded. Keeps us heading in the right direction.’ She scratched her head and gave the others a half smile. ‘Look, Osmod, you seem to have done fine by us so far. And didn’t the march-warden give you the letters to carry? Why don’t you just carry on in the lead? We’ll help out as we can with suggestions and such. Won’t that work out?’
Old 02-12-2006, 05:03 PM   #49
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Bregoware

At first, Sythric rode through familiar grounds: there was Dunlaf’s manor, Grotting’s farm was there. He felt an eerie feeling, looking at these places with no living soul at sight. His head was filled with memories of almost everyone whose places he rode by. Young Dunlaf, for instance, had been his friend, until been taken to the March-warden’s guard as a junior trainée, at the age of fifteen. Sythric’s bitterness had been so deep (and Dunlaf’s prideful grin so arrogant), he decided never to talk to him again. That promise of a 14-year old, had kept all these years that had passed: he had never talked to Dunlaf again. Now where was he? Was his family safe? Why had they not talked this over during past years? Sythric’s mood was not getting any better with all these memories passing his head as he rode.

When even the farthest bregowarian dwellings were left behind, he fell into that half-dream – half-reality, that most of the riders fall in, during a long ride. His daydreams began to appear again, in front of his half-open eyes. Before long, he fell to the images of his last battle, about two years ago.

They had been rushing in with highest possible speed to make the maximum impact. There was the thrust his right arm could still remember. The tip of his spear had gone straight through the first orc’s upper chest, coming out immediately from its back, bursting blood all around. The orc had yelled in a high-pitched voice. The cry had mixed with the howls of other orcs and men, with the clash of armour, and the thunder rising from the charging horses. He had tried to wrench the spear free from the orc’s trembling body as his horse kept on pushing forwards. But another orc was reaching out for him, with speed, its’ spear aimed. Sythric had to let his spear go. He barely had time to draw his sword; duck, and swing the sword towards the onrushing one.

He never knew, which one of them had hit first. But there he was, dropped from his horse, his back and left shoulder aching so much he was crying out. The fast approaching figure of the orc got him immediately back to reality. His hands were empty and he saw no weapon around. The orc lifted its blade to finish him off. It was just a leap away from him. Sythric ducked desperately towards the orc’s legs. Just as he got hold of them, something hit his right side with a terrible force. He had had no time to acknowledge the pain this time. He felt the orc falling, while the orc’s iron boot hit his cheek like a bull’s bounce.

Fortunately, he had been the quicker to raise his head and managed to reach for the orc’s sword he saw laying beside them. As soon as he got a grip of the sword, he felt the orc’s fingers around his neck from behind. Desperately he swang the orc-sword, hitting back somewhere to just hit. He had been lucky enough, for the orc’s grip loosenend. He crawled to his knees as fast as he could, the sword in his hand. The orc was trying to rise up just beside him, its’ side bleeding from a fresh open wound. Before the orc had time to come to grips with the situation, he put all his remainig strength into the swing, and the orc fell flat on the ground, its head partly severed.

Coming slowly back to his senses on the saddle, Sythric remembered, that at that very moment, Aethulf had saved his life, running over a third orc that had had been coming on him from behind. It had been a close one. The horse almost run him over while Aethulf was charging it upon the orc, and the orc’s sword went on its way, spiralling in the air, just a feet away from his chest. He was all smeared in blood, only partly his own. There were dead bodies all around, and the wailing of the dying pierced the ear. And he was aching more than he thought he could bear.

Where was brave Aethulf now? Or Hríma who was allways laughing?

Sythric was fully awake now. He began remembering the overall situation. It had been a straight assault: they had rode through the hastily gathered lines of an small orc-party, just 16 orcs, but still it had turned on to a nightmare. They were 11 riders, many among the best fighters around here, but there were one dead, poor Baduth, and six badly wounded – himself included (he couldn’t ride for three months after the skirmish). The small band of orcs had really made a fight! Now there are four youngsters there, trying to make their journey through lands that could hide similar threats. I should hurry, I really should hurry! But simultaneously, he clearly acknowledged, that his hurrying might not be much of a help anyhow...

Just before the sunset, Sythric reached the lowest peaks of Emyn Baël. He took carefully to seeing the landscape. Straight to south-west, there was something that looked like a party of riders. After making some calculations, and remembering the March-warden telling him about the route he had instructed them to take, he felt somewhat assured, that this was the party he would try to join with. They seemed to be several hours in front of him. After walking Thydrë - his dear friend for already some time now - to a small nearby spring, he sat himself down, and carved some dried lamb and bread to eat, with sips of riding-cool wine to accompany them. Was this a breakfast, a lunch or a dinner? It was kind of like being in the Hird again, eating when hungry, resting when tired. No regular habits or timetables. Do what you have to do, when you have to do it.

The last rays of the setting sun made the plains glow that reddish-orange colour that had always caught him. The light and the colour were tense, bright and dark at the same time. There was something almost sublimely beautiful in it, but at the same time, it was kind of spreading out some dark secrets over the land, of a kind, we humans would never understand.
Old 02-13-2006, 12:52 AM   #50
Maeggaladiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The end of the world as we know it. I feel fine, incidentally.
Maeggaladiel has just left Hobbiton.
"I agree with Meghan," Fionn said, digging half-heartedly through his pack for something that looked semi-appetizing. "If the march-warden gave the papers to you, well, I'd say that makes you the leader."

Sighing, he pulled out a biscuit he had saved from breakfast. It was just going to go stale if he left it. He took a bite and turned his attention to Osmod's drawing. He chewed thoughtfully.

"I'm curious, too," he said, nodding towards Meghan, who had just asked about it. "What's that you're drawing?"
Old 02-14-2006, 01:29 AM   #51
Eowyn Skywalker
Shade of Carn Dûm

Bregoware

A hiss of air escaped between Eostre's teeth. Was Meghan always going to be so persistantly willing to step in to speak for everyone, or was that just a personality defect? But she resisted the urge to speak up in frustration, letting the conversation carry on around her as she considered both the proposition and the desire to get so frustrated...

No.

"Master Osmond," she finally said, her voice hardly betraying the hint of frustration she felt at being interrupted before she could even open her mouth to speak, "you were given the papers. In essence, that makes you our leader. It does not mean you have to lead, if you feel uncomfortable doing so, whatwith us being mere farmers." She couldn't help it. The sarcastic cynicism cut into her voice, vaguely mocking Meghan. "We appear to have a remarkably diverse group. Though you be the most important member of our party, if you feel uncomfortable in the lead, we could take turns. I would, if you'd rather it." And if it'll avoid my having to communicate with those appearing to be naive.

The speech had been a long one from her, but she had been cut off both attempts to speak. Why not actually speak a fairly long segement?

Digging around in her pack, she produced an apple left from breakfast, and bit into it thoughtfully.
Old 02-14-2006, 03:43 AM   #52
Undómë
Shade of Carn Dûm

Bregoware

Meghan

Meghan could feel the color rising from her neck, burning upward until it flamed along her cheeks. She could not help but catch the sarcastic cynicism which mocked her earlier words as Eostre spoke the last of her answer to Osmod . . .

‘ . . . what with us being mere farmers.’

She heard not a word more as her blood pounded in her ears. For a moment, Meghan considered simply turning her horse about and heading back to the village. But what would that serve? The entire village would think her a selfish coward no doubt and she wanted no repercussions falling on her family.

So she had no choice but to continue on. She would however minimize her involvement with the others. It would be easier that way, she reasoned. Speak when spoken to; do as told; try not to offend. Though she thought that last might be difficult, since her very presence seemed to be an irritant. How she longed for the genial company of her goats and her dog; the open places in which she pastured them, without a single other human nearby.

Pull it together she chided herself. With the King’s aid, your little herd and your family will be kept safe from the Orcs and the Eastern-men. She took a deep breath willing the heated color to leave her face. Finish the task given you. You’re not here to make friends, Meghan . . . you’re here only to ride and see the village’s message delivered to the King.

She stepped back quietly, letting Eostre and Osmod make their decisions.
Old 02-14-2006, 04:07 AM   #53
Arry
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Wulfham

The mid-day meal is had . . .

From where he stood at the edge of the small clearing where they were to have their midday meal, Brand heard Vaenosa’s cutting comment to Dorran. The woman was bent on making it as hard as it might be for the two men in the group to feel any sort of camaraderie with her. Perhaps it would just be best to ignore her outbursts, he sighed. It had done no good to speak with her he felt.

He strode quickly to where Dorran stood with his jaws clenched, the muscles in them pulsing in irritation. Brand put a restraining hand on the young man’s arm, drawing him aside. ‘Can you leave it be for now, Dorran?’ he asked. ‘Keep the peace and let us get through this meal quickly. I’d like to be as far down the river as we can go today.’

A quick meal of stewed mushrooms, some way-bread the march-warden’s wife had made, a handful of last of autumn’s berries – all washed down with a cup or two of hot herbed tea. Then, Brand called for them to load up their ponies with the wood they’d gathered.

----------

A place to camp for the night is found . . .

This time, he led the way on Lady, with Dorran following and Vaenosa and Incana to be on the watch in the rear as they rode along. It was nearly sunset when they reached a place that satisfied him for a night camp. The river was on their left, less than a hundred paces away, as they approached the level, dirt clearing. To their right were rolling, brown grassed hills, and lowlying rocky outcroppings scattered here and there in the grassy fields. Ahead of them was a grouping of willows, their roots creeping down the river’s edge, their dried, brown leaves rattling in the chill evening wind.

‘We’ll set up camp there,’ Brand said, as the others drew up to him. ‘The trees will block most of the wind if we camp near them. And we can get fresh water to fill our waterskins from the river. Dorran, can you set up camp and get a fire going for us. The big rucksack on my horse has dried meats in it, I think, and some barley. If you dig deep enough, you might even find something extra from the Lord's goodwife. In the metal can with the tight lid, you’ll find a little salt. See what you can conjure up for us.’

He nodded to Vaenosa and Incana. ‘Take the waterskins and fill them, all of them. That way we’ll have naught to do tomorrow morning but load up the horses and be off. I’ll set some small traps over there in the grasses, and near those rocks. We’ll see if we can have some fresh meat for breakfast.’

The sun was just a finger’s width above the horizon as they hurried to see their tasks done . . .

Last edited by Arry; 02-14-2006 at 05:05 AM.
Old 02-14-2006, 11:50 AM   #54
Maeggaladiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Fionn picked at his biscuit uncomfortably. Friction seemed to be growing between Meghan and Eostre, and Fionn didn't want to be involved. He bent his head over his meal, as though it had suddenly become an incredibly interesting work of culinary art. Guh. It was an incredibly DRY work of culinary art. He coughed, accidentally inhaling a crumb.

He stood quickly, brushing his hands against the legs of his breeches. His waterskin was half-full, and he drank deeply. After the offending crumb had dissappeared, he weighed the skin in his hand.

"Well," he began uncomfortably. "Since that problem seems to have resolved itself, I'll go refill our water supply, shall I?"
Old 02-14-2006, 03:04 PM   #55
Tevildo
Shade of Carn Dûm

Wulfham

As soon as Brand gave orders to set up camp and prepare the evening meal, Dorran went to work on the fire pit. He lay down a handful of dry pine needles to act as tinder, then an armful of thin twigs, and finished off with two good sized logs that he'd cut down with his hatchet. That should keep the fire burning well into the night, he reasoned. A fire was important not only for keeping them warm and cooking their food, but the flames could help scare away animals who might be lurking in the bushes. It was unlikely that they would have problems like these, since they were still so close to home. But, just to be sure, Dorran set two long branches on the ground beside the firepit that could be used as makeshift torches.

Dorran then turned his attention to clearing a space for their bedrolls. He gathered armfuls of pine needless to create a more comfortable place to sleep and cleared away a few rocks littering the ground. He made sure to put the womens' sleeping quarters protectively close to the fire on the northern side of the pit, while he and Brand would settle down on the opposite ourtskirts of the enclosure, some distance away. He simply did not feel comfortable sleeping right next to two attractive young women, and he knew from experience that his sister preferred her privacy at night.

He wasn't sure if the prickly Vaenosa would object to this sleeping arrangement, since it assumed that the men would be guarding the outside perimeter of the camp. If Vaenosa wanted to prove how tough she was, she was welcome to move her bedroll further away from the fire, as long as it wasn't anywhere close to where he was sleeping. He was doing everything he could to concentrate on his work and not think about what had happened earlier in the day. The men and women in Aldwulf's household were always extraordinarily well behaved. He had never had to contend with this kind of rudeness before. It had taken all his self control and Brand's supportive words for him not to lash back at the girl. He had simply let her run away and kept his thoughts to himself. Dorran would also have like to get to know Incana better, but with Vaenosa hanging about, he was extremely reluctant to take that chance.

In any case, he wished that Brand had not asked him to make the evening meal. After enduring the woman's taunting remark, he didn't want to put himself in that situation again where he was likely to get more teasing. But an order is an order, especially when they were off in the woods like this. Dorran began to get out the food and do what he could to prepare the evening meal.

Last edited by Tevildo; 02-14-2006 at 03:08 PM.
Old 02-14-2006, 07:34 PM   #56
Naria
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Naria has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Naria
Wulfham

Incana and her horse walked into their new camp. She dismounted and removed the reins from around the horse's muzzle, then took the riding blanket and packs off too. Incana then bent down to examine the bite that Nay had left. It had begun to fester, she wondered if any of Brand's salves would work the same on a horse as they as they did on a human.
She was a beautiful mare, one that had given birth to a foal a year earlier. Incana could tell that it was quite hard for Starlight to leave her yearling and reasurred the mare whenever possible. Incana's father did not like separating mother from baby but Starlight was one of the best horses for travel that they owned. She was a Waler breed with long black socks, a short black cropped mane and her coat was a coarse grey-beige; making her a Roan colour. She was stout in stature but made up for her short comings in strength, perserverance and loyalty. Still worried about the bite, Incana gave Starlight a quick slap on her rump and the horse was free to roam where she pleased.

Incana thought that this location would be just fine and couldn't wait for Dorran to complete dinner. She was very hungry and her tummy rumblings were proof of that. She thought back on lunch and remembered that she hadn't eaten very much of Dorran's fungi 'stew'. Incana loved mushrooms but without seasonings or much else in the meal, it proved to be quite unfulfilling to Incana. Dorran had a bit more provisions to work with this time and Incana was sure it would be a much better feed. Clearly, she has some things to get used to living in the outdoors.

Incana was about to ask Dorran if he needed any help when she heard Brand ask the two women if they could fill up the waterskins. Since she had begun to feel a bit useless she jumped at the opportunity and grabbed three of the five skins that were there. Wondering, why are there only five and not six skins. She felt her cheeks grow warm as she remembered why.
The water skins were a fair size and thoughts of lugging them back full of water was not something that Incana was looking forward too. Incana started off to the river and looked back to see if Vaenosa would comply with Brand's request.

The banks of the river had shown errosion where the water level had been higher in the spring and summer months. She would have to watch her footing if not to get swept away. Incana walked up and down looking for a good spot to fetch the water and found a small well used path leading down to the river's edge. These are definately deer tracks she thought to herself. Incana thought aloud, "I shall ask Brand when I go back to camp if we should try and take down one of these animals." She put two of the three skins down next to her and began letting the water drain into the one she held.
A breeze swept across the river and Incana had a sudden realization of how cold it was going to be during the night and was glad to have seen her bedroll close to the fire.
Old 02-15-2006, 01:36 PM   #57
Arry
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Wulfham

Settling in for the night . . .

‘There!’ he murmured to himself, laying the last of his loop snares along the faint path he’d made out where animals in the area had made their way down to the river. ‘With any luck a thirsty hare will be needing a drink tonight!’ The thought of fresh meat roasting over the fire set his belly grumbling fiercely. It had been a long time since the last meal.

Brand hurried back to the campsite. It was dark, now; the sun had gone down below the rim of the world. He glanced up at the night sky, looking at the patterns of the stars. The Swordsman of the Sky was rising above the western horizon and there to the north and high in the inky dome hung The Great Dipper. Its bowl had been leaning more and more toward the lands below, heralding a wet change in the weather as the last of autumn slid into early winter.

He could see the fire Dorran had made ahead in the distance. And over it hung several pots – one full of hot water infused with the herbs Dorran had used that afternoon; another bubbling away with a savory mixture of barley and dried meat. Brand rubbed his hands together in anticipation of a hot meal and drink before bed.

‘I’ve set the snare traps,’ he said, cradling the warm wooden bowl in his hands as they sat round the fire eating and drinking. ‘There’s an animal pathway that runs down to the river and looks to be used recently. With any luck we’ll have some nice fresh meat to break our fast in the morning.’ He finished up the last of the simple stew and cleaned out his bowl with a handful of dried grasses. ‘One more cup of your hot tea, Dorran and then I’m off to bed. And the rest of you should go, too. I’ll help with the meal clean up. Incana and Vaenosa can you see to the horses? Get them under what little shelter there is among the trees and make sure they’re loosely tethered. We don’t want them running off in the night.

The pots and bowls were soon cleaned and stowed away; the fire was banked so that it would burn low through the night. The water skins were stacked near their gear. ‘Just one last thing, Dorran,’ Brand said as he stuffed their food supplies into a large leather bag. Find some rope, won’t you, and we’ll hang this high in a tree and a ways from our camp. I didn’t see any tracks of bigger animals about . . . but I don’t want one sniffing around us as we sleep, looking for an easy meal.’

‘Ladies!’ he called out to the two women who were blanketing the horses and giving them a measure of oats. ‘Which of you is a good fisherman?’ he asked. ‘I was hoping one or better the two of you might see to getting us a few fish with the early morning rise. And Dorran, I’d be more than glad at a hand with the traps I’ve laid.’ He grinned, his eyes glittering in the firelight. ‘By one means or another we should have some kind of meat for the morning . . .’
Old 02-15-2006, 02:17 PM   #58
Farael
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: In hospitals, call rooms and (rarely) my apartment.
Farael has just left Hobbiton.
Bregoware

By the time Fionn was back from the river, things seemed to have settled down at the camp. Meghan and Eostre were not talking to each other, but then no one was talking at all. Osmod seemed preoccupied with his drawing and looked up, startled, when Fionn returned his water skin. Standing up slowly, as if he were very tired, Osmod said that they should get going, seemingly to no one. He could hear the beginning of a reply somewhere to his side but he went on, feeling more confident as he decided on a plan. There might be times in which they would be forced to spend days without lighting a fire for warmth or food, he reasoned. He did not want to light two fires this side of the river, it would not do to alert anyone of their quest so soon, yet he was willing to light a fire that night. The smoke would be harder to see from the distance and it would keep them warm if the weather got colder. The others seemed to agree with, or at least accept, his reasoning and so the group packed their belongings and set off yet again.

Each of the riders was lost in their own thoughts and there was very little they wanted to share with the others. Osmod was the first to take the lead, riding ahead of the group to scout for unexpected inconveniences. Not only orcs could slow them down, he figured, but a pack of wolves could be just as disrupting. In any case, by the time he rejoined the group nothing had happened. He suggested Eostre for second lead and so she went ahead, her horse seemingly as proud as herself. When she met up with the rest, Fionn volunteered for the next lead. The sun was close to the horizon and so Osmod asked Fionn to look for a place to rest for the night as well. It was not long after when Fionn waved to them from afar. He was at the edge of yet another small forest. They had passed by many of those small islands of trees in an otherwise barren landscape. During spring, green blades of grass might have been seen all the way to the horizon, but as fall wore on and winter got closer, everything seemed dull, even dead.

As soon as they got off their horses, Osmod started detailing the tasks for the night. The water skins needed to be refilled and the horses had to be looked after. They would need to set up watches during the night and be sure to have an early breakfast the following morning. “Breakfast is good,” interrupted Eostre “but we have not had dinner yet and all those things can wait until we have eaten. And don’t forget the fire you promised us tonight.” Osmod flinched. While he had not forgotten dinner, he thought they could all have some of their dried meat and biscuits as they had had for lunch while doing other tasks. Soon he realized that both Meghan and Fionn agreed with Eostre, even if not her tone of voice. With a sigh he shook his head “Of course I have not forgotten Miss Eostre, but with time pressing on I had other plans. Yet you are right, we better save our dried food for times in which we can’t find fresh food.”

At Osmod’s request, Fionn stayed behind and prepared a fire with pine cones and branches he could find nearby. He’d be in charge of looking after the soon-to-be camp and the horses while the others were gone. Osmod slung his bow over one shoulder and his quiver over the other, then he smiled at the women. “I don’t know what we may find, but I’d like to be sure I can get it for dinner. Let’s all stay together; it will not do loosing one of us now that night is nearing.” Then, after Meghan and Eostre were ready, the group set off into the woods, hoping to find something good for their meal.

Last edited by Farael; 02-15-2006 at 03:19 PM.
Old 02-16-2006, 12:46 AM   #59
Naria
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Wulfham

As Incana had thought the waterskins were indeed heavy and took away what energy she had built up since lunch. She was looking forward to the meal that Dorran had conjured up when Brand asked the two women if they would settle the horses for the night. There was very little enthusiasm this time, but she obliged his request.

Incana could not see Venosa or Nay so assumed that they were together somewhere. The men's horses were nibbling on some tree leaves, but where was Starlight? Incana thought that it would be a good idea to get the men's horses out of the trees before looking for hers. She approached the two with caution, not knowing what to expect from them, humming a tender tune that her uncle had taught her. The horses answered her approach with a low nicker, she ran her hands down the sides of both horses urging them to follow her. They followed her out towards the camp and tied them to separate trees. Once she had fed and watered them her mind quickly began racing as to where Starlight had vanished. Incana did not want to venture to far away from the light of the fire, for by now the sky had darkened too much for her to see. She wouldn't have minded if one of the men would have assisted her in her search, but looking back at the fire she didn't want to disturb them.

Incana walked away from the tied horses and into the dark. Fear immediately took her and she began to have waves of shiver. "Damn woman! Stop this nonsense you need to find your friend," She said out loud trying to find courage. She squinted her eyes into the night hoping that this would help her see better. Incana took a few more steps and stopped dead in her tracks she heard some howling in the distance and thoughts of going back to camp were entering her mind. Her heart was pounding in her ears which sounded a lot like hoofbeats, then she heard it. A loud whinny. Incana whistled sharply for Starlight to come to her. Her horse drew near and it was a reunion of sorts; Starlight gave Incana a rough nudge with her muzzle and Incana hugged the mare around her neck. The two made there way to camp and she tied and bedded her horse for the night.

After all of that Incana felt that she was deserving of some hot tea and some good food. She approached the men and gave them both a nod. "I am done with what you have asked, Brand." She took a bowl of stew and a cup of tea and sat down beside the fire to eat.
Once Incana had finished her dinner she was ready for sleep. She got up and dusted herself off, she had taken her first step towards her bedroll when she had remembered the deer tracks. She hadn't really spoken to either of them very much, so making a suggestion was unnerving to her. She stood beside Brand and after a few moments of foot shuffling said, "I had seen some deer tracks at the river's edge earlier, and was wondering if we should try and hunt one early in the morn." While she waited for the two men to think about it she longingly stared at her bedroll.

Last edited by Naria; 02-16-2006 at 12:53 AM.
Old 02-16-2006, 02:31 AM   #60
Undómë
Shade of Carn Dûm

Bregoware

Rædwald

The horses were unattended as he led his own up to the perimeter of the camp. Were he a brigand or an Orc or even a hungry predator, they would be run off by now and probably one or more dead or injured badly.

By the bright fire crouched a young man. Fionn – yes, that’s who he would be. The man about as old as Meghan. He could see none of the others nearby. Rædwald spoke softly to the horses, and gathering them up by their leads, brought them in toward the fire.

Stepping out of the shadows at the edge of the camp he called out to the figure at the fire. ‘Where’s Mistress Meghan, Fionn? Rædwald’s my name. Her brother’s sent me to ride with you.’ He held out the horses’ leads to Fionn. ‘Might want to tether them in a little closer for the night, eh?’
Old 02-16-2006, 10:14 AM   #61
Valier
Twisted Taleswapper

Wulfham

The night was beggining to deepen when Vaenosa walked Nay towards a bunch of low growing vegetation. She was looking for a certain plant, with a nasty taste that might help keep Nay away from the female horses. He was still fairly young and the female horses smelled enticing. "Ah Ha!" She exclaimed as she bend down to pull up some plants by their roots. "These should work!"

Heading back to the camp Vaenosa noticed that Incana had already tied and fed the other horses, but was nowhere to be found. Knowing well that Nay would not stand to be tied up, she decided to keep him close to her. He would have to sleep by her side tonight. She plunked herself down on her bed roll, which the men had placed beside the fire and pulled from her bag a small bowl. She took the plants and began to crush the roots and leaves with the knob of a stick. The smell began to eminate up and hit her in the face."Whoa! this stuff stinks!" Nay put his muzzle down close to the bowl and gave a snort. The stuff must have made it's way up his nose and was now making him sneeze and run around her in circles.She let out a hearty laugh that continued as she watched Nay roll around on the ground, legs in the air.By the end she was holding her sides while tears threatened to squeeze out the corner of her eyes.

She then realized she was not alone.She had momentarily forgotten the others. She straightened her tunic, gave a small hiccup, then composed herself back to the wretched woman who hated everything. She looked towards where the men were gathered and saw Incana approaching Brand after tying her own horse to a nearby tree. Incana looked towards where Vaenosa was, towards her bed roll with longing. Vaenosa smiled at her, even if she was not sure she saw. She was in a good mood after that laugh. She had felt so constrained with the men around.

Not feeling at all tired she decided she would take the first watch. If of course the Men did not mind. She rose up from where she sat and made her way towards the small group. "I wish to take the first watch for the evening. Nay will not settle down for awhile yet and I cannot tie him up like the others, escape artist that he is! I also made a salve for the other horses, if Nay won't leave them at peace. It smells real strong, but it tastes great on meat. I know where to find more, if it turns out you all like it.

Vaenosa walked back towards her sleeping roll, picked it up and moved it to a place close to the outskirts. She gave a stern look at Nay telling him to stay put, grabbed the bowl of salve and walked back to the group. "Here, I think it is called Hot root or something of the like." She said as she handed the bowl to Dorran. It should keep Nay out of things as well as keep him from nipping your horses even more. She gave Incana an appologetic smile, for the damage Nay had caused Starlight.

With that she walked back to her bedroll, sat down and placed her bow beside her with her battered quiver. She secretly pulled out her two small daggers, placing them close by. They were not good at armed combat, but it would keep anyone from sneaking up on her, she knew just how to slide a blade in between two ribs,deadly if accurate. Sitting cross legged with her back slightly to the fire, she shivered, it was going to be a cold night.

Last edited by Valier; 02-17-2006 at 03:10 PM.
Old 02-16-2006, 10:27 AM   #62
Maeggaladiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Bregoware

Fionn rose and spun, taken by suprise. Blast; he hadn't been paying attention! Had this man been a bandit or an orc, he would have been dead and horseless by now. Well, at least the others hadn't been around to witness his mistake...

The boy wiped his ash-stained hand on his trousers before taking the horses' leads from the man.

"Thank you," he muttered in embarrassment. "Aye, they should probably be tethered."

He went to work, securing the animals.

"Miss Meghan is off hunting with Master Osmod and Miss Eostre," he said. "They should return shortly, I'd imagine." He cast a glance over his shoulder at the newcomer. Fionn thought he recognized him from around the village, but he wasn't certain. Well, he knew his name.

"Forgive my asking, but... Who did you say sent you?"
Old 02-16-2006, 06:17 PM   #63
Eowyn Skywalker
Shade of Carn Dûm

Bregoware

Not so far away, the oblivious remainder of the party found themselves searching the foliage for food and any vegtables that may have survived the hints of frost indicating an oncoming winter. Eostre didn't believe it would be too long before snow set in, but she thought it might wait a little bit longer; perhaps til they were back from this mission.

She threw a glance at her silent companions, each and everyone of them focused enough on the idea of getting meat for supper that they for once weren't squabbling or making stupidly self-critical remarks over every possible thing that could be said and done. At least sometimes they could all get along.

A crackle in the branches: a rabbit lept from the underbrush and, in a fit of panic, bounded straight towards Meghan.
Old 02-16-2006, 07:11 PM   #64
Undómë
Shade of Carn Dûm

Bregoware

Meghan

The rabbit was down before it understood the worn leather boots before it were not simply part of the brush. Not dead . . . the arrow had pinned the doe through a hind leg. Meghan slipped the knife from her belt and grabbing the creature firmly by its ears, she slit the throat with a single cut. It bled out quickly, the back legs twitching and kicking for a moment, then going limp.

Another, smaller male rabbit had hared off in another direction. The smell of blood driving it hard away from the site of slaughter. Meghan concentrated on her own kill. She gutted it, taking care not to nick the scent glands as she removed them, and placed the unwanted remains beneath a bush. She’d set the liver aside and before it had a chance to cool, she cut the large, dark red organ into three pieces. It was still warm as she stuffed one of the pieces in her mouth. Delicious! She hadn’t realized how hungry she was.

Meghan stood up, her kill secured to her belt with a leather thong. She held out the other two pieces of liver, skewered on the tip of her knife, toward the other two. ‘Care for a piece before it’s gone cold?’

Last edited by Undómë; 02-16-2006 at 11:34 PM.
Old 02-17-2006, 12:45 AM   #65
Undómë
Shade of Carn Dûm

Bregoware

Rædwald

Leof sent me, Master Fionn. Meghan’s brother.’ Rædwald smiled, recalling his talk with Leof. ‘I believe he’s still a bit peeved that she managed to get chosen instead of him. And worse yet, of course, is the fact, she’s his little sister.’ The older man shrugged his shoulders. ‘Got a wife and babies to look after, Leof does. And so, here I am, in his stead, and to see that she makes it to and from the King’s hall safely - like a little niece that girl is to me.

Fionn had finished tethering the horses, and Rædwald gave an approving nod. ‘Better to have them closer in, as you’ve done,’ he said. ‘They’ll give alarm if anything is coming near and you’ll be able to get to them quickly should you need to.’

He unloaded his own mount and stacked his pack and weapons near his bedroll. The evening was getting cold and Rædwald was glad of the fire Fionn had built up. He drew near it and warmed his hands over the flames.

‘I’ve got some potatoes Leof sent along, over there in the burlap bag inside the canvas one,’ he said, pointing to where he’d piled his equipment. ‘They were busy packing up all the foods they could, you know – getting ready to set out. They’d just have been left for the birds and rodents to peck at.’ Rædwald retrieved a number of them and set to poking them in beneath the ashes at the base of the fire. He looked about, a frown on his face. ‘You have a little kettle somewhere? We can fill it with water and have something hot to drink by the time they get back.’ He fished about in his pack and pulled out a small pouch of dried mint leaves and rose hips. ‘Too bad we’ve no honey. I like my tea with honey. Ah well, I suppose we’ll just have to make do.’

Rædwald sat crosslegged on one of his blankets, poking the potatoes occasionally with a long stick he’d found. ‘Be interesting to see Edoras again,’ he said, keeping his eyes on the flames. ‘Never thought I would again. Served with the Riders back . . . well, a good number of years ago really. Not in the King’s own éored, of course. But still, we’ve seen some battles, my lance and I along side them.’

‘What about you, Master Fionn? You’re a young man . . . and fit enough. You ever thought of being a Rider?’

Last edited by Undómë; 02-17-2006 at 01:17 AM.
Old 02-17-2006, 12:46 AM   #66
Tevildo
Shade of Carn Dûm

Wulfham

Dorran did not object when Vaenosa offered to take the first watch of the night. Nor was he surprised when the woman stubbornly moved her bedroll from the protected warmth of the fire to the far end of the encampment. Dorran had finished his dinner, assured Brand that he would help him with the traps in the morning, and then slipped inside his bedroll. Tired from the lengthy trek and the bickering that had marred much of their day, he had fallen asleep in just a few minutes.

When Dorran awoke, the camp was still and filled with shadows. The fire had burned down to a few glowing embers. He could see Brand and Incana curled up inside their bedrolls. There was no sign of Vaenosa, who was apparently still on watch, perhaps seated amid the trees and bracken that encircled their camp.

Dorran strained his ears but was surprised that he could not hear the chirping of small insects or the croaking of frogs that usually provided a pleasant backdrop to a night spent in the woods. He suddenly felt uneasy. The frogs had been lively enough when he'd first fallen asleep, and he wondered what had happened to them. He dug deep inside the blanket, pulling it over his head, and tried to will himself back to sleep. His efforts met with little success. He tossed and turned this way and that, trying to find a comfortable position.

Lying on his back, with the covers still tugged over his face, he was surprised to hear a strange sound he could not identify cut into the silence. At first, he could not be sure what it was.

Just an owl hooting! Go back to sleep. He dug his head deeper into the blanket but the sound did not go away. Instead, it became louder and more insistent as if something or someone was coming closer. Dorran sat bolt upright in his bedclothes. A chill howl rang out over the camp: a sound like a woman wailing and weeping. Again, it rang out, loud and demanding. There was no question now. Someone was out there, either a live person crying out for help or some ghastly apparition that had come to plague them.

His heart cold with fear, Dorran sprang to his feet and raced over to where Brand was sleeping. He reached out, grabbed Brand's shoulders, and shook him vigorously, "Wake up, wake up. Someone's out there in the bushes....a woman, I think. We have to help her." The eerie cries reverberated through the entire camp.

Last edited by Tevildo; 02-17-2006 at 01:52 AM.
Old 02-17-2006, 01:19 AM   #67
Envinyatar
Quill Revenant

Envinyatar has just left Hobbiton.
Wulfham

Her long, thick tawny tail twitched angrily as she looked toward the intruders’ camp. The big cat growled low at her year old cub and hissed, warning him back from where she crouched on the rocks west of the little forest.

The presence of the two-leggeds irritated her, and in several ways. They were camped on the trail the deer often took on their way to the river. The deer would be skittish, moreso than usual. Hunting would be poor tonight and she was hungry, as was her cub.

Beyond that was her hatred of them and their biting, slashing weapons. They had killed two of her cubs. Just two full moons ago. And for nothing more than the two addle-brained sheep she had dragged off. It was her right to trim the herds in her range. How dare the two leggeds deny her! How dare they threaten her family!

She screamed out her anger and frustration beneath the slivered moon.

Then, her nose took in the scent of the horses . . . their fear . . . and the promise of rich, bloody meat . . .

A sleek, tawny ghost, she moved among the shadows . . . her green-gold eyes intent on her prey . . .

Last edited by piosenniel; 02-17-2006 at 01:50 PM.
Old 02-17-2006, 01:23 AM   #68
Arry
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Wulfham

‘Wake up, wake up. Someone's out there in the bushes....a woman, I think. We have to help her.’

Dorran’s voice broke through the thick fog of sleep. That and the accompanying screams that tore among the trees. Brand scrambled out from his blankets and jammed his feet into his boots. ‘A woman?’

The sounds of the panicking horses grew louder. They were whinnying in fear and moving restlessly against their tethers. ‘No human that,’ he said picking up his oak cudgel.

‘Fetch your bow,’ he called to Dorran. ‘Vaenosa! Incana! To the horses with your weapons. They’re under attack!’

Brand grabbed up one of the long branches that lay by the fire and lit it, wielding it in his left hand. He and the others fanned out from each other just a little as they made their way quickly to the now screaming horses . . .

Last edited by piosenniel; 02-17-2006 at 01:50 PM.
Old 02-17-2006, 01:48 PM   #69
Maeggaladiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

"A Rider?" Fionn echoed, the corners of his mouth curving into a wry smile. "Oh, I've thought about it, to be sure. Most of the village lads have thought about it, when they were younger." He stood and stretched, and went to the party's saddlebags. He dug through their packs, looking for a kettle or something that would serve as one.

"Most've us would have done anything for a chance. But the fact is, we're farmers," he continued, as though the concept of becoming a Rider were but a silly childhood dream. "I don't weild a great lance or ride giant horse; I raise chickens." He grinned over his shoulder at the man and held up a small copper kettle.

"Found one," he said, waving the kettle. "Don't suppose the others will mind us using it; they'll be drinking from it too." He dissappeared for a moment, going down to the stream. He came back a few minutes later with the pot filled with clear water.

It had been a lie; Fionn would have jumped at the chance to join the Riders. Yes, he knew it sounded like the stereotypical young hero story. A farm boy from nowhere in particular rises to greatness in the service of his King. But it was much more appealing than the story of his life thusfar: amateur archer and lord of a vegetable garden and a bunch of brainless chickens.

Despite his apparent naiveté, Fionn knew when to keep some dreams to himself. Otherwise, they were trod upon. This was one of those dreams.

Fionn set the kettle down by the fire. The smell of cooking potatoes made his stomach growl.

"I don't think plain potatoes have ever sounded so appealing," he said with a laugh. "Although hopefully the others will have had some luck hunting, and then we'll have some meat to go with 'em." Still, he thought, some butter would be nice as well.

Fionn reclaimed his seat by the fire.

"You said you've been to Edoras?" he asked suddenly. "As a Rider? What was it like? I've never seen it."
Old 02-17-2006, 03:49 PM   #70
Naria
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Wulfham

Incana had just go to dreaming in her warm bedroll; when she heard Brand's panicked voice, "Vaenosa, Incana! To the horses with your weapons they're under attack!" Fully awake at that point she heard Starlight. The mare was making a horrible snorting scream. Incana quickly jumped up and grabbed her knife that had been tucked under her bedroll. It was still dark and very little could be seen, but she heard everything including a low catlike rumble that came from the trees as she passed them to get to Starlight.

Incana reached her horse and went to untie her, but because the horse was so spooked and scared the lead that was around the tree had been tightened. Incana tried to untie the knot but to no avail. She brought her knife to the lead and began hacking at the leather straps. Incana's actions were making it worse for the mare and she started to pull back even harder and whinnying louder. Incana ignored the protesting horse and kept working at the lead. She finally had freed Starlight and held the remaining strap in her hand. Incana approached the other two horses, this time she did not take as long on their leads as she had on Starlight's. Now that she had all three nervous equins in her grasp she headed towards the dying firelight. Suddenly Incana heard another yowl from the animal in the trees; Starlight became spooked again and reared up almost bringing Incana's arm with her. The mare's hooves came down witht a thud her right front hoof grazing Incana's thigh. Incana let out a blood curdling scream of pain, she desperately wanted this night and this wretched beast in the shadows to be gone.

Last edited by Naria; 02-17-2006 at 03:57 PM.
Old 02-17-2006, 04:16 PM   #71
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Bregoware

Sythric

After finishing his modest meal, Sythric just sat motionless for a time, staring at the landscape and the diminishing light. As the light really started fading, he finally rose up and called Thydrë with a low whistle. She appeared from the deepening shadows, and Sythric walked to meet it half-way. After securing the packing, he patted her gently on the neck. Thydrë lowered and turned its head a bit to better meet the man’s face, watching him with her large, dark eyes.

“I’m sorry my friend. Yes, I am.”, he said with a soft voice. “And yes, I had a choice. The March-warden would have given me a rested horse from his stables, yes he would have.” Sythric sighed, and run his fingers through her mane. “But here you are with me, my friend. I couldn’t think of getting to a journey like this without you.” Thydrë shaked her head, just a little. Like she would have said, that she understood. Sythric wasn’t quite sure about this mutual understanding in this case though. “Not this night, but the next, we will both sleep well. That I’ll promise to you, if it is under my power. And before the morning, you will eat well too.” He patted her twice, and got himself into the saddle.

“Now, let’s ride swiftly to gain some rest at the early hours, before tomorrow’s ride.”
Old 02-17-2006, 04:32 PM   #72
Valier
Twisted Taleswapper

Wulfham

After a short while of sitting on her bedroll leaning up against Nay, Vaenosa stretched her legs out of the cross-legged position. She was getting drowsy and thought she would find somewhere less comfortable that had a better view point. She placed her daggers back in their sheaths and shouldered her bow and quiver. Grabbing Nay's reins she led him towards a large tree that overlooked the fire and the sleeping people. She left Nay to graze at the bottom while, she scrambled her way up to a large branch. She leaned her back against the bark and stretched her legs out in froint of her.

She was enjoying the brisk breeze and the darkness that crept up on the borders of their camp, when Nay began to prance nervously with his nostrels flaired and his ears back. Then came the low growl and the horses screams. Vaenosa squinted in the darkness and made out a tawny outline and the flash of feline eyes. It was a female and she was stalking the horses with the intent of eating at least one of them.

Vaenosa stealthily pulled her bow and a single arrow from her back. She quietly lined up and pulled back on the string. She would take her time, kill the animal as it crouched in the longer grass. She let out a slow prolonged breathe, she was aiming directly for the cat's head. When out of the corner of her eye she saw Dorran jump up from the sounds from the horses. He ran towards Brand, shaking him awake. Now both men were on their feet, shouting for the women to get the horses.

Vaenosa's eyes faultered from her target and she let the arrow go with a twang, it went wild, off in to the bush. Incana screamed and the cat vanished.

Thouroughly enraged with the actions of the group. She shouldered her weapons and lept to the ground, sprinting towards the camp.

"You mindless Fools!" Vaenosa screeched, red faced and out of breath. What did you think I was doing all night? brushing my hair? I saw the cat! I was just about to put an arrow through it's head, but all your screaming scared it away! Now it will be lurking in the shadows waiting for another opportunity to pounce.

We have but two choices; We cower by the fire and hope that we don't fall asleep or it sneaks up at unawares. Or we can hunt down the beast now and put an end to all this! If the cat is that hungry she may follow us a distance hoping we will stop again. Vaenosa stood chest heaving eyes blazing at the people who had ruined her shot.
Old 02-17-2006, 05:50 PM   #73
Tevildo
Shade of Carn Dûm

Wulfham:

"Are you mad, truly mad, to turn on a wild beast alone without even bothering to wake the rest of us?" Dorran muttered through gritted teeth. He had finally reached his breaking point, and his anger spilled over onto the woman. He stared out into the night but could neither hear or see the cat. "I do not pretend to have faced such a creature before, but I do know he is swift and ferocious and outweighs you by many stones. I don't doubt that you are a good shot, Vaenosa, but you are no professional hunter. And a creature like this has not been seen anywhere near our village in the past ten years."

"If you had hit him, but failed to strike a fatal blow, he would have turned on you or, more likely, murdered us as we slept in our bedrolls. There would have been no one to back you. You are lucky that you missed him and that he ran away."

"I am sorry," growled Dorran, "but ever since this day began your only aim has been to show us exactly how tough you are. We know you're tough and bright. Aldwulf would never have let you go on this trek had you been anything else. But our group will never reach Edoras, not one of us, unless we stop battling each other. And if we fail in our mission, many innocent people may die, struck down by these Orcs. You have never seen these creatures, but I tell you they will make mincemeat of us unless we start acting and thinking like a team. Orcs care not whether you are woman or man: they will rip your body apart and devour the flesh raw. I know. I have seen them do it."

With anger still glinting in his face, Dorran placed his hand over his eyes, rubbing away something that looked suspiciously like a tear. Then he glared down at the ground, knowing he had said and shown too much, "This creature is hungry and knows our horses are easy pickings," he continued in a calmer tone. "Surely he will be back. Will he not? So what do we do? How do we prepare? How do we take him on as a team?" He looked around the circle at the others, waiting for someone to speak. Except for the sound of the human's voices, it was deathly silent in the camp. There was no howling cat who sounded like a woman, but the usual background noise of frogs and other small night creatures was also ominously absent.

Last edited by Tevildo; 02-17-2006 at 05:57 PM.
Old 02-17-2006, 09:51 PM   #74
Valier
Twisted Taleswapper

Wulfham

Vaenosa stood with fists clenched answered Dorran with obstinance in her voice, "Mad you say? The choice I made was not mad infact I thought that I was doing the right thing by everyone. I realized while I was in the tree top that the cat was not ready to attack and I had enough time to take a kill shot. My shouting would have given the animal more targets than just our horses. I may not be a professional hunter but I have succesfully killed my share of large prey in my journeys with Nay. With the time I felt I had before the cat sprung, I was sure my arrow would have flown true."

"Are you suggesting that I was not acting a team member? Looking back I truly believe that I was making the right move until you guys messed it up with your hollering. Now look what you have done, you've scared it off into the shadows and Incana is hurt. I will tell you this only one time, I will never take on an Orc by myself. If I did then you could call me mad."

Vaenosa glared at the two heroic men and asked "Now what shall we do, oh wise ones with one member injured and a hungry cougar on the loose. Seeming as you have messed up my hunt I will do what you wish in order to get the beast," Vaenosa said bending low with outstretched arms towards the bushes.
Old 02-18-2006, 12:10 AM   #75
Envinyatar
Quill Revenant

Envinyatar has just left Hobbiton.
Wulfham

The smell of the woman’s blood inflamed her. The cat circled around in the shadows beyond the camp. Several of the two-leggeds were speaking loudly to each other; their attention focused away from her for the moment.

The horses were in disarray. It did not take much to come sprinting up quickly in silence and frighten one enough that it pulled away from the injured women. The chestnut mare went galloping wild-eyed from camp. The cat, her ears flattened against her skull, made powerful strides to close the distance.

Her cub by this time had moved in despite his mother’s warning and crawling low along the ground began stalking the bleeding woman. Once he was in range he would make the killing leap . . .
Old 02-18-2006, 01:10 AM   #76
Undómë
Shade of Carn Dûm

Bregoware

Rædwald

‘Edoras,’ sighed Rædwald. ‘It lies at the very feet of the White Mountains. And before it spreads out the waving seas of grass, all green and lush upon which the great herds of the King’s horses run.’ He nodded, looking into the heart of the fire. ‘And when the sun shines, its rays strike the golden roof of the King’s Hall and are thrown out like a beacon of hope and glory for all to see.’ He took his stick and turned the potatoes in the hot ashes. ‘The banners of the King snap proudly in the breezes. You can hear them before you even reach the gates of the city.’ He looked at Fionn, his eyes shining with the memories of the first time he had seen the city. ‘A great pride swells up in you . . . seeing the white horse upon its field of green. You know the King is within and his authority holds sway over his lands.’

‘It’s an honorable dream, you know,’ he said softly. He kept his eyes focused on the potatoes as if they were the most important things in the world. Despite his joking attitude, the young man seemed to pay close attention to his words. ‘My family were goatherders. I, myself, have taken up that honorable profession now. ‘But in between those two points in this man’s life, there was the dream lived.’ He looked over at Fionn.

‘How old are you, lad?’ he asked, giving the young man an appraising look. ‘I had just seen my sixteenth year through when I left to ride in the ranks of the Riders. It was, as I said, not in the King’s own company. But it was in the eored of a Lord whose land abutted up against Edoras.’

‘Well, now, those days are over for me, eh? But you look a likely enough man to learn to ride and wield the lance . . .’ He gave Fionn a conspiratorial grin. 'That is, unless your chickens will not let you go!'

Last edited by Undómë; 02-18-2006 at 01:26 AM.
Old 02-18-2006, 01:22 AM   #77
Arry
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Wulfham

‘What I wish, Vaenosa,’ hissed Brand through clenched teeth, ‘is that you had never come with us.’ He was fed up with her insufferable attitude and her inability to act together with the other of her companions as a team. He was angrier with her than he had ever been at anyone else. He could not fathom someone who was so self-centered and grudging.

‘You’re a danger to us, woman. A selfish, grudging snake of a companion. I can’t trust you to have our best interests at heart. You’d as soon sink your fangs into us than act with us as a team. Your need to put yourself first, prove yourself better than any of us, makes me sick.’

The muscles at Brand’s temples pulsed with his irritation. A near blood lust had risen in him. He was done being nice to her. He had himself and the others to look out for. His eyes narrowed and glinted dangerously at her. ‘Keep your counsel to yourself, woman. I’ll have no more of your acid tongue. It cuts us as hard and deep as any foul Orc blade.’ The fingers of his right hand flexed about the handle of his sword. ‘I swear on my Father’s good name - if you act in such a manner again, I’ll have you bound hand and foot and take you back to Lord Aldwulf myself.’

As his hand dropped away from his weapon, he heard the horses begin to neigh and stamp in panic again. He turned from Vaenosa, and began running toward where Incana stood near the dying fire. One of the horses . . . no his horse! Lady! She had broken free from Incana’s grip and galloped from the camp, the big cat in close pursuit.

His first impulse was to sprint after Lady, or at least to mount one of the other horses and go after her. He had no real hope of killing the cat, but he could at least drive her away with his club or sword.

But then, he caught sight of the other cat creeping in toward Incana from the opposite side of the fire. Much as he wished to save Lady, his thoughts were now on his wounded companion.

‘Incana!’ he shouted, running quickly to get to her side. ‘Let go the horses! Another demon cat is stalking you . . . there!’

Last edited by Arry; 02-18-2006 at 02:09 AM.
Old 02-18-2006, 02:24 PM   #78
Naria
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Wulfham

Incana had had enough of the squabbling between the three riders and wanted to put an end to it. She looked over at the two men who were clearly showing anger towards Vaenosa and said, "Please try not to be so upset towards Vaenosa for surely there is something that is driving this woman to be like this. Brand I would ask you to give her another chance for as Dorran said, Lord Aldwulf would have not chosen her to take this journey if she had nothing to offer." She then spoke to Vaenosa, "If there is something that has happened to you that you would like to talk about some time, I am here for you. But in the meantime could you try to hold your tongue and keep some amount of peace between us."

Incana was feeling rather nauseous by this point and had started feeling the chills come over her. She was thinking about sitting down when Lady jerked hard and Incana lost her grip of the horse's lead. She tightened her grip of the other two horses straps in her hands and turned around to see Lady running full stride away from camp. She knew with a predator around that the horses would want to be free to defend themselves but she kept them close anyway. Incana had thought that that was what Lady had wanted but why so suddenly. She quickly got her answer out of the corner of her eye, she caught a glimpse of the female. The cat had come into full view passing by the fire and the camp she was picking up speed as she went after the mare.

"Brand, Brand Lady has taken flight. The beast in the shadows is after her!" Incana wanted to get onto her horse and take after Lady but every time she moved the searing pain was a reminder of the injury she had. She turned her head to see Brand running towards her and thought that he was after his horse when she heard him scream, "Let go of the horses! Another demon cat is stalking you...there!" His arm outstretched pointing towards some long grass on the other side of the fire. Incana immediately had a feeling of panic well in her. She dropped the leads of the two horses; made a stern click with her tongue slapped both of them and watched them turn and run.

Her attention then focused on the stalking cat that wanted a quick meal. Her mind became a blurr all she could think of was to freeze and don't run. Her father had taught her this when she was a young girl. 'Incana if you find yourself in direct conflict with an animal, don't run! They will think you to be prey that they normally eat and find the chase exhilarating.' There were many other teachings that her father had given her, but right at that moment none came to Incana.

She kept her head straight at the rustling grass and only moved her eyes to watch the approaching Brand. Incana had her knife in her hand, but she wasn't sure of her strength if she could take on such a big animal. To spite her inner turmoil, she readied herself as Brand came to her side.

Last edited by Naria; 02-18-2006 at 02:37 PM.
Old 02-19-2006, 03:08 AM   #79
Arry
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Wulfham

Brand could see that Vaenosa would soon be in position to help Incana from her dangerous predicament. The younger cat had slowed his approach, but had not given it up altogether. His eyes were still on the wounded woman and his tail twitched in anticipation of taking her as his prey.

Backing away slowly from Incana, Brand motioned for Dorran to follow. ‘Can you call back your horse?’ he asked the young man. ‘I don’t think we can get to Lady on foot.’ Brand’s expression was grim, and a certain level of panic had crept into his voice as he spoke of his horse.

Under Dorran’s soft encouragement and gentling hands, his horse returned and allowed the two men to mount. Brand could feel the nervous excitement running beneath the animal’s skin, and he was glad of Dorran’s skill in handling the frightened horse. They urged Dorran's mount to a fast pace, the horse growing increasingly nervous as they came near the cat.

Dismounting, the two pressed forward on foot. In his hand, Brand still bore the flaming brand; at his belt hung his sword. He’d managed, too, to secure his stout oaken club from his shoulder by the thick leather strap loop at its handle end.

‘Let’s follow the trampled bushes and dried grass,’ Brand said, holding the brand to throw a flickering area of light upon the dark ground. ‘She’ll run and fight as long as she can hold out . . . she’s done it once before with a wolf.’ He looked hard into the enveloping night. ‘We must hurry, Dorran . . . please. I can’t bear to think of losing her.’

Last edited by Arry; 02-20-2006 at 03:24 AM.
Old 02-19-2006, 01:52 PM   #80
Tevildo
Shade of Carn Dûm

Wulfham

Dorran raced madly forward, his bow clenched tightly in his right hand and his quiver of arrows slung over his back. The boy was smaller and lighter than Brand and managed to overtake him, keeping a short distance ahead on the path. As Brand had thought, Lady had run a considerable distance from the camp. Relentlessly sprinting forward, Dorran covered nearly half a mile when he finally heard the hideous sounds of two animals braced in mortal combat.

Dorran scrambled over a fallen log and pushed through a thicket of bramble bushes, finding himself in the middle of a small clearing with large oak trees circling about on all sides. At the far end of the glade, he could see Lady pushed back against one of the trees. The horse was rearing up on her hind legs, with her forelegs striking out against her attacker. The cat was snarling and opening her mouth wide, her eyes flaming bright with hunger and rage. Now and again, the cougar raced forward, low to the ground, and tried to pounce on Lady's flanks, while attempting to avoid the horse's sharp, flying hooves.

Both animals showed the effects of their fight. There were deep scratches on Lady's flanks and withers. The cat had suffered an even more serious blow to her left side; blood had begun to ooze out onto her tawny coat and drip down to the forest floor.

Almost instantaneously, Dorran let out a shriek to let Brand know where he was and quickly cocked an arrow to his bow. He hesitated, afraid to let it fly, because the cat and horse were so close intertwined that it was impossible to aim at the one without endangering the other. He waited until the cougar slunk backwards to avoid Lady's flailing hooves and then let his arrow loose. It sped forward straight and true towards the cat's breast, but at the last minute the animal swerved abruptly, twisting her body to the right. With a thud, the arrow struck the cat's left haunch. As stinging pain registered on her crazed mind, she turned about from Lady and, howling in madness, leapt at Dorran.

Last edited by Tevildo; 02-20-2006 at 03:28 AM.