User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2004, 08:03 PM   #241
Esgallhugwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Esgallhugwen has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree

Alas! I cannot believe I missed the battle, oh well, theres always flashbacks. Thanks for moving my character along, I appreciate it ever so greatly
I will post more in the future.

Eternally,
Esgallhugwen
Old 10-24-2004, 07:09 PM   #242
Nuranar
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nuranar has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Nuranar
I have returned! A few notes:

Luinien's arm is NOT broken. The shoulder is very bruised and the shock/pain was what caused it to be useless during the battle. Sorry guys, but I'm going to need her more able-bodied for the time being. She can get a more serious wound later, perhaps. rutslegolas and Alaksoron, would you edit your posts that mention that?

Kransha, thanks for totalling out what has happened to your orcs. If you would, please point out the mysteriously spawned and summarily dispatched orcs to their writers. I'm confused enough as it is myself, and I'd like to keep the action at least moderately easy to understand!
And since I'm moderating the extent of my own character's injury, I'll not quibble with you about Thoronmir's. I might also point out that Fordim inflicted said wound, and it was all I could do to keep my she-Elf (who is no Amazon) from being flattened by the blow.

rutslegolas, you say that Aidwain's ankle is broken. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that even a sprain is all but impossible to walk on. Even for an Elf. Be as that may, I consider a broken bone to be a serious injury. If you would, please either change the extent of his injury or not have him walking around on it. Thanks!

Way to work ahead, Prim! Thanks for setting up the cut-'em-off-in-the-back aspect.

Alaksoron, thanks for spearheading the healing. Please respond to the PM's I sent you last week.

Esgallhugwen, no worries. It worked out fine, especially since Silrûth only came in at the end. You handled that flashback very nicely.

----------------------------

Tarondo will be pulling the group together for some decision-making or something as soon as I get the post written. Kransha, I'm going to assume that Bâzzog sends some of his people out back to the west, either acting on the trolls' suggestion or anticipating them. If this is a problem, let me know.

Good work, everyone! Carry on!

Nuranar

Last edited by Nuranar; 10-24-2004 at 07:10 PM. Reason: typos
Old 10-24-2004, 07:13 PM   #243
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The bottom of the ocean, discussing philosophy with a giant squid
Meneltarmacil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Eye

Actually, Bubkur's rivalry should be with Thoronmir, not Menecar, since Thoronmir was the one fighting him earlier. Just thought I'd point that out.

Oh, and at the Stone Trolls I was planning on (with Kransha's approval, naturally) killing off Bubkur after a huge battle, then taking the poisoned arrow from Kransha and being incapacitated for the rest of the game.

Last edited by Meneltarmacil; 10-24-2004 at 07:18 PM.
Old 10-24-2004, 09:08 PM   #244
Nuranar
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril My post is up.

We are encamped in some rocks a little way from Weathertop, on its east side north of the road. Silrûth is scouting for enemies westward along the road; Menecar has gone to the east.

Esgallhugwen, if you want you can get up a post about what Silrûth discovers - there will orcs/trolls scattered about or readying an ambush.

Or Kransha, you can take the lead in deciding how the baddies will make their presence known. If they want to herd the KEM toward the Trollshaws instead of just squishing them, it'll take some doing.

Saurreg, I wasn't sure how you would develop Loudewater's mental state in your save, so Tarondo did not address him in my post. But this is the logical place to have him join us, so I will need to edit that in later. Please don't carry your post past the arrival at the new camping spot, and please put up a note on the discussion so I know when you've edited it in.

Oh! rutslegolas, if you decide Aidwain is still mobile (see my note above about his broken ankle), you may want to have him go look for the missing horses. I'm thinking that although they've bolted for now, they're extremely well trained and probably haven't gone far. We will need to find them again before we move on, anyway.

Envinyatar, are you back yet? I assume you'll want Veryadan to regain consciousness sometime. I'd prefer that before we leave, if possible, although it doesn't matter before or after the scouts return.

I think that's everything, for now... Carry on!

Nuranar
Old 10-25-2004, 06:16 AM   #245
Saurreg
Shade of Carn Dûm

Saurreg has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Saurreg Send a message via MSN to Saurreg
Nuranar - Post edited.

Loudewater has recovered his faculties. And is now feeling kinda embarressed, sheepish and shy. He wonders what would imposing Tarando (whom the farmer thinks has a very stern mein) do to him.
Old 10-25-2004, 09:44 AM   #246
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Fordim Hedgethistle has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
I might also point out that Fordim inflicted said wound, and it was all I could do to keep my she-Elf (who is no Amazon) from being flattened by the blow.
*chuckle*

Now that you've gone and injured Arrald in return, I imagine that he will be gunning -- or, rather, clubbing for your pretty little elfie. . .
Old 10-25-2004, 01:42 PM   #247
Envinyatar
Quill Revenant

Envinyatar has just left Hobbiton.
Veryadan has revived for the moment and cast his vote for the companions to get on their way eastward.

I've put a SAVE in just prior to my post for Esgallhugwen to do a scouting post if she wishes.

Rivendell, along the East-West Road, is at the very least a full week of riding long days at a fair pace.

Does someone want to take us to the next morning and start the group on their way.
Old 10-25-2004, 06:42 PM   #248
Esgallhugwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Esgallhugwen has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree Concerning my post for the save

Madame Amazon Elf at your service!

Thank you Nuranar for the comment, I try my best

I'd love to do a post of Silrûth scouting for enemies westward, perhaps catching an eye of the orc camp. Evinyatar thank you very much for putting that save up, I hope that I will utilize it effectively.

I intend to put up my post on the discussion thread as soon as possible.

Eternally,
Esgallhugwen
Old 10-25-2004, 08:45 PM   #249
Nuranar
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Loudewater has been dealt with justly (I hope), and probably more leniently than he feared. Saurreg, if there's anything you'd like me to change about my interpretation of his character, just say so.

Quote:
*chuckle*

Now that you've gone and injured Arrald in return, I imagine that he will be gunning -- or, rather, clubbing for your pretty little elfie. . .
Yeah? You just try it! she says with a contemptuous sneer.

Wonderful post, Envinyatar. Thanks for the decisiveness of it - very well done. By the way, is his arm broken or is it not?

Esgallhugwen, if it's possible please get that post up soon - the sooner it's done, the better the continuity of the game. Thanks!

Nuranar
Old 10-26-2004, 03:07 AM   #250
Envinyatar
Quill Revenant

The left arm is not broken, just very bruised.

rutslegolas

Would you mind retrieving Veryadan's horse when you retrieve yours? He is a brown gelding, unnamed.

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-26-2004, 05:39 AM   #251
rutslegolas
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

rutslegolas has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to rutslegolas Send a message via Yahoo to rutslegolas
Sting

Sorry guys ( and gals ) I cannot post till the 30th October , my exams are on and I am way behind my average grades.

Sorry. hope you will understand ,
Old 10-26-2004, 12:52 PM   #252
Envinyatar
Quill Revenant

rutslegolas

I'll carry Aidwain along in my posts until you can come back on.

- E -
Old 10-26-2004, 03:25 PM   #253
Alaksoron
Haunting Spirit

Alaksoron has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Alaksoron
Sting

Evinyatar, if Aidwain cannot retrieve your horse, as rutslegolas cannot post for a while, I'll have Osric do it. He already found his own horse. I'll include Aidwain in that post.
Old 10-26-2004, 03:28 PM   #254
Envinyatar
Quill Revenant

Alaksoron

Thank you for the offer - but I am planning on using Aidwain in a more extended post. So I will write the retrieval of the horses.

Again, thanks for your offer.

- E -
Old 10-26-2004, 05:41 PM   #255
Nuranar
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

My save is filled, and here's the plan for the rest of the journey:
  • Wednesday, October 27 - Thursday, October 28: Travel along the East Road
  • Friday, October 29 - Saturday, October 30: Skirmish past the Last Bridge (Stone Trolls area)
  • Sunday, October 31 - Monday, November 1: Flee past the Trollshaws
  • Tuesday, November 2 - Wednesday, November 3: Skirmish at/before/over the Ford of Bruinen
  • Thursday, November 4: Arrival at Rivendell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meneltarmacil
Oh, and at the Stone Trolls I was planning on (with Kransha's approval, naturally) killing off Bubkur after a huge battle, then taking the poisoned arrow from Kransha and being incapacitated for the rest of the game.
And from earlier in the thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meneltarmacil
Saurreg PMed me earlier about if I could get injured while saving Andas Loudewater, so I decided to work around that. When we've reached the Stone Trolls, we'll get attacked by orcs, and Kransha (the orc Kransha named after himself) will be among them. We'll be fighting as usual, and I'll see him aim an arrow at Loudewater. I'll run up, push him aside, and take the blow myself, leaving only Menecar standing between Kransha and Loudewater. (Dragon Elf said he wanted to take on Kransha, so that's why this situation would develop.) My right arm would be crippled, and the arrow will most likely be poisoned.
Meneltarmacil, Kransha, and Saurreg: Please finalize what is to happen. This skirmish will occur beginning FRIDAY, so make your plans or I will make them for you.

Kransha, Fordim, and Prim: Please come up with a plan of battle. I've sketched out the places and real times for the skirmishes, but as the baddies it's your call on how you attack and how hard. Go ahead and plan here on the thread - considering our tight time schedule, everyone needs to know what is going on. Thanks!

Depending on which skirmish is harder-fought, I've decided to kill off Menecar. Nothing against either the character or Dragon Elf, but he's now merely a carry-along character, and in the nature of this game, it's highly unlikely we'd get through without somebody dying. Right now I'm leaning toward him dying in the battle at the Ford... but that's in absence of any better ideas. Suggestions?

Envinyatar, have you given any thought to how we're going to end it up? I did some more thinking, and the nature of the battle at the Ford will have a lot to do with it. Namely, the state of the enemy's forces when it's over.

One last announcement: The battle at Weathertop got a little confusing for me, with lots of people posting, the timeline jumping back and forth, and the same combats being re-told. So I'm making 2 requests:

1. Baddies, please specify up front - BEFORE the skirmish starts - how many orcs and trolls will be fighting and WHEN they will be entering the scene.

2. Everyone, write 1 or 2 battle posts ONLY. I don't want to see 4 different 10-sentence posts from the same person. If you want to write more, make your 1 or 2 posts longer. Write CLEARLY so the other writers know what's going on and minimize how much you take the current timeline back. (If the person before you ends his post halfway into the battle, try not to start yours at the very beginning. Pick up where he left off, if you can.)

Meneltarmacil, I just saw your post. It seems to fit in right after my save, and since Envinyatar will get us moving the next morning and Prim will carry on for the baddies, I'll pasted it into the end of mine. Is that all right?

I think that's all for now. Carry on!

Nuranar

Last edited by Nuranar; 10-26-2004 at 09:31 PM.
Old 10-27-2004, 04:09 AM   #256
Envinyatar
Quill Revenant

I've gotten us 2 days down the road - about half the way to the Last Bridge. The road is now passing through an area of the country that affords the Trolls and Orcs a little more in the way of hiding places.

It is late afternoon, camp is made, as is the decision to set two companions for each watch.

Orcs and Trolls should make themselves known with some sort of harassment of the group during the night - scare the horses for fun, steal some food and supplies, push a few downed trees across the road, etc . . . baddies having a little fun with their quarry.

The companions can then deal with the problem quickly (no battles here - just recover the horses or whatever and get on the way again). By Thursday, someone should bring the group to the Last Bridge, which is where the East Road crosses over the Hoarwell River.
Old 10-27-2004, 04:21 AM   #257
Primrose Bolger
Wight

Primrose Bolger has just left Hobbiton.
I'll get something up a little later today.

Kransha, Fordim - is there anything you'ld like your Orcs and Trolls to be doing right now? You can use my SAVE if you need to.
. . . for they love peace and quiet and good tilled earth . . . are quick of hearing and sharpeyed, and though they are inclined to be fat and do not hurry unneccesarily, they are nonetheless nimble and deft in their movements . . . FOTR - Prologue
Old 10-27-2004, 09:46 AM   #258
Saurreg
Shade of Carn Dûm

I will see what Primrose has to post before posting mine.
Old 10-27-2004, 02:29 PM   #259
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

I've gone ahead and put up a post that follows the horses having been spooked. I hope that it will fit with whatever you have planned Primrose -- if it does not, just let me know and I will edit accordingly. . .

Well. . .only if the changes don't preclude Arrald's plan to flatten a certain hard-to-kill she-Elf!
Old 10-27-2004, 04:14 PM   #260
Primrose Bolger
Wight

The horses are loose.

The camp's awake and some of you good-guys should be starting after them.

Arald and Dim await . . .
. . . for they love peace and quiet and good tilled earth . . . are quick of hearing and sharpeyed, and though they are inclined to be fat and do not hurry unneccesarily, they are nonetheless nimble and deft in their movements . . . FOTR - Prologue
Old 10-27-2004, 06:00 PM   #261
Nuranar
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

The good guys are pursuing the horses, but have been sidetracked while evading a rockslide.

Fordim or Prim, either of you can wrap up a little more with this round. Otherwise, tomorrow we'll successfully retrieve the horses and get back on our way.

Quote:
Well. . .only if the changes don't preclude Arrald's plan to flatten a certain hard-to-kill she-Elf!
Sorry, Fordim - looks like Arrald's going to have to hold that plan for another day. It was about time Tarondo did something useful, anyway.
Old 10-28-2004, 04:11 AM   #262
Primrose Bolger
Wight

Right, then . . .

Grimm and Broga are bound east, hoping to have time for some fast food along the way as they run toward the Trollshaws.

Will Arald and Dim join them?

And some of the Orcs should catch up, too at some point - we'll want to set up an ambush/skirmish, won't we just after the Last Bridge is crossed?
Old 10-28-2004, 05:11 AM   #263
Kransha
Ubiquitous Urulóki

Location: The port of Mars, where Famine, Sword, and Fire, leash'd in like hounds, crouch for employment
Kransha has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Kransha
I can get a post up tonight, if need's be, and have already posted a little something that entails a bit of the orc plan. Tonight, I suppose, there will be some parley in which orcs and trolls agree to engage in a full fledged ambush at the Stone Trolls area, after both groups, good and bad, have crossed over the Last Bridge. Tonight, I will also put up the orc battle plan for the impending skirmish, the troll tactics can be left up to the trolls, who seem surprisingly capable for trolls *wink wink*.

-Aeschylus, Song of the Furies
Old 10-28-2004, 05:22 AM   #264
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primrose Bolger
Right, then . . .

Grimm and Broga are bound east, hoping to have time for some fast food along the way as they run toward the Trollshaws.

Will Arald and Dim join them?

And some of the Orcs should catch up, too at some point - we'll want to set up an ambush/skirmish, won't we just after the Last Bridge is crossed?
Fast food??? You bet Arrald and Dim will be there . . . mmmmmmmm . . . McMutton.
Old 10-28-2004, 08:45 AM   #265
Saurreg
Shade of Carn Dûm

Nothing much my character can do now but to spread some cheer, restore some HP and boost a little moral. The spiced beef, aged chedder and wrinkly apples are not much, but they are filled with homemade/grown goodness!

Meneltarmacil - Hope you don't mind me hijacking Thonamir for that bit there. It's just that so far it seems your character is the only one mine has built a rapport with. I've tried to "dignify" the ranger as much as I can. Ditto Nuranar. If you guys think I should make some changes to the way I handled your characters, shoot!

Edit:Hooha! Edited my post big time. Overread the part where Luinien slipped off into the dark recesses of the night.

Last edited by Saurreg; 10-28-2004 at 09:09 AM.
Old 10-28-2004, 03:28 PM   #266
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Please note:

There is to be no use of swear words in Shire RPG's. The Barrow Wight, owner of the forum prefers the site to be family friendly.

Thanks!

~*~ Pio, Game Mod
Old 10-28-2004, 06:28 PM   #267
Kransha
Ubiquitous Urulóki

Location: The port of Mars, where Famine, Sword, and Fire, leash'd in like hounds, crouch for employment
El Plano Magnifico

Alright, here is the orc plan. The trolls, as usual, have clairvoyance to do what they wish, as long as communiques between the two/three parties determine that all orcs and trolls will be attacking the same area, at generally the same time. Fordim, Primrose, the contents of your own plans are up to you, but, if you wish, you may use my own as a starting point. I am sure that you, tactitions most masterful, will expand on any humble beginnings amply...Now, I have to tone down the use of polysyllabic words...

-25 Orcs, including Kransha and Bubkur, will be engaged in this next battle.

-They will attack when the goodies are in the direct vicinity of the Stone Trolls (Consult The Hobbit, Chapter 2: Roast Mutton, pg. 45-52, for info about the locale and the Stone Trolls). If the battle actually occurs right in that area, the petrified trolls, Bert, Tom, and William, will present an interesting obstacle for both good and bad folks, a veritable jungle gym from which each may swing and swashbuckle. Such a presence could make the skirmish much more exciting.

-Bubkur already has a one-way ticket to the orc version of Valinor, but the fates of the others are unknown, 25 orcs is considerably more than last time, so you goodies can be less lenient about killing them. I'd say that such a situation allows each member of the good group to slay between 3 and 5 orcs. Remember, though, Kransha and Bubkur have previous engagements. Bubkur, who has developed a mild enmity with Thoronmir, will be engaging him at some point, and will kill him, then take an arrow from Kransha. I would like to know a few things.
---Who will take on Kransha? Originally, it was to be Menecar, but he is now in the "care" of Nuranar (I believe). Should he still engage Kransha, and be killed in the fight, or ought he to be troll-fodder? Saurreg, do do you want to fight Kransha? I don't think I want him dead, but I want to get his orcish prowess out in the open...and he never did get that shot at Loudewater...

This time, it might be more appropriate if the Rangers and Elves were the ones to defeat, but, if Envinyatar and Nuranar prefer it, us baddies can do the fleeing. With the death of Bubkur, they will be somewhat demoralized...I can't speak for those dastardly, if somewhat dim-witted ologs, though...

Old 10-28-2004, 07:09 PM   #268
Nuranar
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I will fill my save later tonight. I'm leaving for a meeting in... 4 minutes.

Kransha, el propósito es fabuloso. By employing some kind of rear guard action, I think I can make a KEM defeat realistic without losing anyone.

Menecar's technically for anyone's use, but I think I'm the only one who's used him so far. I'm thinking of killing him in the last battle... Any volunteers to fight Kransha?

Ack! Got to go...
Old 10-29-2004, 01:30 AM   #269
Nuranar
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

My save is filled. I hope it's sufficient; I can't think any longer.

Who's up for opening the attack? Since we know the plan, I say either goodies or baddies can do it.

One request: When we stop at the Stone Trolls, have it be for one of our midday rests. No night battles, please!

Edit:

It just occurred to me, that if this skirmish is a KEM defeat, it might make more sense if Menecar buys it now instead of later. How's that? Any objections?

Last edited by Nuranar; 10-29-2004 at 01:33 AM. Reason: another thought
Old 10-29-2004, 02:00 AM   #270
Primrose Bolger
Wight

There will be 5 Trolls (that OK with you , Fordim?).

Grimm and Broga will have invited a cousin in the area to participate.
Old 10-29-2004, 01:43 PM   #271
Alaksoron
Haunting Spirit

Alaksoron has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Alaksoron
Dark-Eye

I would like for Osric to engage Kransha. I was planning on having my character get an arrow in the leg anyway, and Kransha's an archer, right? Then there can be a long and drawn-out battle between the two! Just don't kill Osric. He's open for moderate wounding, though. Is that alright with you, Kransha? (The player, not the character)

Where is Bazzog going to be during this battle? Just curious

*Sniff* my first RPG ends in 5 days.

I JUST GET SO EMOTIONAL!
Old 10-29-2004, 02:06 PM   #272
Nuranar
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Alaksoron, the group left camp scarcely an hour after they got back with the horses. Would you modify the last part of your post, please?

Everyone, the skirmish is supposed to begin today. The skirmish will be over on Saturday regardless. Anyone - goodie or baddie - can bring us into it. Come on, we're so close to finishing up! As a matter of fact, Alaksoron, it'd fit the flow of the game better if you started the battle in your post. At the end of mine they were on their way to the Last Bridge, so you can jump us appropriately ahead in time.

Esgallhugwen, are you still with us?

rutslegolas, I hope your exams have gone well. Can you rejoin us?

Envinyatar, have you thought any more about the end? (See my last PM.)
Old 10-29-2004, 02:37 PM   #273
Kransha
Ubiquitous Urulóki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaksoron
I would like for Osric to engage Kransha. I was planning on having my character get an arrow in the leg anyway, and Kransha's an archer, right? Then there can be a long and drawn-out battle between the two! Just don't kill Osric. He's open for moderate wounding, though. Is that alright with you, Kransha? (The player, not the character)
All of this is fine. I was hoping someone would "volunteer" *cough*.

Quote:
Where is Bazzog going to be during this battle? Just curious
He'll be back with the other orcs, watching and waiting. Bazzog does love fighting, but he's stickin' to the sidelines. He'll be in the last battle, though.

Can't bring us in to the battle, unfortunately. I have skidaddle for a bit.

Old 10-29-2004, 02:41 PM   #274
Primrose Bolger
Wight

Thumbs up

The Trolls are in place about the clearing where the Stone Trolls are.
Old 10-29-2004, 03:02 PM   #275
Envinyatar
Quill Revenant

I'll go ahead and post the start to the battle.

We'll cross the bridge, the Orcs will begin firing at us, driving us further east down the path. From Kransha's previous post here, the main part of the battle will not begin until we get to the clearing where the Stone Trolls are.

Nuranar

See my PM (coming soon) for a resolve of the game.

Last edited by Envinyatar; 10-29-2004 at 03:24 PM.
Old 10-29-2004, 04:05 PM   #276
Envinyatar
Quill Revenant

The battle is engaged Orcs have begun firing on the companions.

At the moment, we have just crossed the bridge and entered into the forested area. Some Orcs were positioned to fire arrows at us.

We are heading down the path that will take us by where the Stone Trolls lived in their cave - we should pass that and then come to the clearing just a little way beyond where the 3 Stone Trolls actually are - that is where the main part of the battle is.

You can read Primrose's post just previous to mine to see a description of the Stone Trolls and the area about the clearing.

--------------------------------

Primrose/Fordim

Can we do in any of your Trolls?

---------------------------------

Everyone of the good guys

Please note - there are ONLY 23 Orcs that can be done in. (Kransha and Bubkur are also at the battle, if you wish to kill/injure/engage one of them - please make that decision with Kransha, the writer for the characters.)

And please take time to read other battle posts to see what has gone on before you.

Last edited by Envinyatar; 10-29-2004 at 04:12 PM.
Old 10-29-2004, 04:25 PM   #277
Primrose Bolger
Wight

Harry can be done in at some point - but let him get a few good sized boulders thrown down on the group first.

His aim is not all that great - so a few Orcs may get squashed as well.

-o-o-o-o-o-o-

Oh, and by the way - much appreciation to Professor Tolkien, from whom I 'stole' a great deal of descriptive prose concerning the Troll cave and the little clearing where they met their end.
Old 10-29-2004, 06:24 PM   #278
Kransha
Ubiquitous Urulóki

My Post (for Dummies)

Oy, my RPG post requires a manual to understand..

The title of my post is the impromptu name I thought up for the battle: The Battle of Teryggond. Teryggond is Sindarin; Teryg (Troll Pl.) + gond (stone, i.e. Gondor). So, Teryggond technically means "Stone Trolls," and the skirmish can be considered, "The Battle of the Stone Trolls." I can only hope that the title is accurate linquistically. If someone/anyone would prefer it not be in Sindarin, I'll oblige, but the name translated into Elvish has a very eloquent nature, in my most humble opinion, thus my use of it. The wee little skirmish can just as easily be called "The Battle of the Stone Trolls" by non-Elvish speakers, and "Dagor Teryggond" by the Elves of the company. But, I digress...a lot.

~WARNING~ The next paragraph is increasingly boring, but may be interesting to linguists
Other linguistic points: More use of Black Speech.
My post contains two linguistic oddities: Thrakul and Gimbata.
Fear not, canon police, there is method in my madness: Thrakal means "Bring them." Tolkien does not explicitly say this, but it can deduced. In the Ring Verse, which we all most probably have heard, the phrase "thrakataluk" means "to bring them all." I took the liberty of removing the -ataluk suffix, because that denotes that the verb "bring" also entails "them all." Thrakat would mean "to bring" so removing -at from thrak- might, logically, create another connotation of the same verb. Though this is not exactly canon, I sort of assumed that I could make the verb into a second person version of itself by removing that suffix, and adding the new prefix -al, which means "all" (thrakat-al-uk). A similar principle follows with the word Gimbata, which means, via my translation "Find him," from the Ring Verse "gimbatul." Gimbatul means "bring them all," so I again removed the -atul suffix and added *gulp* a word I sort of...made up...Yes, Tolkien never gave us the Black Speech word for "he" so I fabricated it...But it's just two letters. Can it pass, oh mighty mods?

I also put the word tark-dug in there, which is basic, meaning "Ranger-Filth" (remember pio's definition of tark).

Ok, now for the actual battle!

-The battle has begun: all combatants are in play
-Most of the 23 nameless orcs are armed with an array of random weaponry, but take note that there are two with spears, and three are still using their bows.
-Thoronmir's horse is dead. I hope this isn't dreadfully inconvenient, but I didn't want to make my archers out to be totally inept. Plus, this way, Thoronmir can directly engage Bubkur, who is currently gallumphing towards him.
-Osric got tackled off of his horse by a big orc. This orc is free to be killed, and is no threat, he just got lucky. All of the 23 orcs on the field, besides Bubkur and Kransha, can be killed at any time, but if the good guys are going to flee, I suggest they flee from something (which means, don't kill everyone gratuitously, you'll get your chances in due time...but you don't have to be frugel).
-Kransha is scoping out the field for a mark. Beware!

Last edited by Kransha; 10-29-2004 at 06:29 PM. Reason: Typos, and italics
Old 10-29-2004, 07:12 PM   #279
Nuranar
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

"WOW!" <-- Nuranar after reading Kransha's post.

That was nothing short of phenomenal, Kransha. I read your game post first, and I was thinking, "How long will I need to study this to make sure I get the tactical situation straight, much less write about it more?!" Then I got to your discussion post. Boy, did you read my mind! Never was a manual more needed!

I won't presume to critique your linguistics. (Nor will I sic my linguistics friend - who IS a Barrow-Downer - on you. ) The results are fine with me, and the explanation both useful and entertaining. I appreciate you taking that extra effort, although I dare to imagine that it was no hardship.

And a thousand thank-yous for outlining the tactical situation. I hate it when I sketch out a post in my head, then realize I missed something that throws it all out.

No worries about the horses. They make such big targets, it would be the height of unreality for them all to be unscathed. I suggest that we lose at least 2 more horses. Some of us will be riding double on the retreat.

Meneltarmacil and Alaksoron, I suggest you rescue your characters.

Kransha, just how good is Kransha? (Man, does that sentence look stupid. Ahem!) If I recall correctly, he's lost opportunities to make a kill at least twice. But he's a very good marks-orc, correct? Again in the interests of realistic gaming, he ought to hit something this time. Now, if he kills Menecar... But that's another dynamic.

What I'm very clumsily trying to suggest is, How would it be if he wounds Tarondo? The baddies ought to know by now who's the leader, and even a fool of an uruk would know to go for the top man. And Kransha's no fool. Would it offend realism if I employed the Fairy of Fortunate Chance to keep Tarondo from being killed?

Thank goodness for automatic email updates!

I just saw Meneltarmacil's post. All right, it looks like both Bubkur and Menecar are dead, and Thoronmir's taken an arrow in the arm from Kransha (who is again trying to pick off Andas Loudewater). And one of the Stone Trolls has toppled over. Bubkur must have a lot of mass!

Kransha, my offer for Tarondo to take a hit still stands.

Now, Saurreg: Andas is already in the thick of it. If he was up to it, I was going to have him take on Kransha hand-to-hand. Then Menecar would rescue him/distract Kransha and get killed. Menecar's dead now, but someone else can rescue Andas, if you want him to fight Kransha. Your choice.
Old 10-29-2004, 07:27 PM   #280
Kransha
Ubiquitous Urulóki

Alright, more organization required.

Bubkur is dead, which is good. This makes the battle less confusing. Also, six orcs (including Bubs) are dead, two killed by Thoronmir, two crushed by the falling Stone Troll (who is, if you want to know, named Bert), and one killed by a kick from Luinien's horse. This leaves 19 orcs, including Kransha.

I need to know one thing. At present, everyone wants Kransha for something (no, I have not started speaking of myself in the third person). Here are points to know. Osric will be wounded by Kransha. Tarondo will is also to get wounded by a Kranshanian arrow. Andas may or may not engage Kransha as well

I suggest, all three, (Andas with some hesitation, perhaps) charge Kransha. He can take one down immediately, and then go hand to hand with the other two, He's the best the orcs have got, one of the Gundabad elite, and a better fighter than even Bazzog, the commander. He should, logically, be the hardest to killm though not quite as hard to kill as a troll. I have a full proposal, to accomodate the points above.
1. Kransha, after wounding Thoronmir, sees the 'leader' on the battlefield, AKA Tarondo, and shoots at him, but his vision is obscured by some commotion, and he only wounds him.
2. At this, Osric could charge and Andas with him.
3. The rest ought to be ad-libbed.

So, how's that scenario?

P.S. Despite all these engagements, I'm selfish enough to demand that Kransha remain alive. He deserves a "kewler" death, at a later date.