The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-17-2002, 03:44 PM   #1
Keeper of Dol Guldur
Shade of Carn Dûm

Keeper of Dol Guldur has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Legolas is not the Heir

Um, I don't know if anyone thought of this, but I don't think Legolas was the heir to Thranduil's throne. I think he was the youngest child, and possibly his father's least favorite. Not that Thranduil had real favorites, but in typical Middle Earth manner, he might have sent his youngest to the Council, while any others stayed to prepare for impending war. Plus, wasn't Legolas in charge of Gollum? He sure remembered Gollum's escape well enough. Now what kind of heir to the throne would be in charge of a prisoner? Noble as he is, I can't help but think it.
"I come from yonder...Have you seen Baggins? Baggins has left, he is coming. He is not far away. I wish to find him. If he passes will you tell me? I will come back with gold." - Khamul the Easterling
Keeper of Dol Guldur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2002, 04:51 PM   #2
Oliphaunt
Animated Skeleton

Oliphaunt has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I don't think that Legolas is the heir, but I think it's possible that because Elves can live for so long that they don't have heirs in the same sense that Men do. I think it possible that Legolas was the only son of Thranduil because Elves in general don't have a lot of children (Feanor aside) and if there were only one or two brothers we would have heard of these other (male) Elves. I think Legolas had sisters.
Oliphaunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2002, 04:51 PM   #3
Mattius
Soul of Fire

Mattius has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Yes but Gollum was an important prisoner, remember that Gandalf and Aragorn both spent a long time searching for him so the prince may well be the person to make sure he does not escape.
Old 10-17-2002, 10:32 PM   #4
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Raefindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Raefindel
Sting

I doubt that he was personally responsible for gullum or for his escape. He was simply chosen by his father to bear the tidings.

The Elves would not have been preparing for impending war. They would likely rather just have left Middle-earth. Legolas himself said when asked "they would not have come".
Old 10-18-2002, 05:13 AM   #5
lindil
Seeker of the Straight Path

lindil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Raefindel - I agree w/ you re: legolas not being in charge of Gollums imprisonment. That would be an odd job for a prince, crown prince or no.

I would say the fact that he asked to start a colony in Ithilien is more suggestive of him not being the heir.

I imagine the Elves of Mirkwood were planning for War.

They would have known of the threats to Dale/Erebor, and this would have constiituted for them something of a 'regional threat'. Economics of the region alone dictated that they help out the lake-men and people of Dale.

Dol Guldur was an ever present threat to Thranduil's realm and more so to Lorien. I imagine both kingdoms were on standby alert for the entire last part of the 3rd age.

And I am curious though what was the deal w/ sauron's "expulsion" from Dol Guldur. Did they [Elves of Lorien and ?] take over the whole fortress and if so why did they not destroy it or at least occupy it instead of letting the Ringwraiths have it back!

Def one of the many scenarios I would loved to have had more background on. Who was involved besides Lorien? and did Denethor/Echtelion silently blame Lorien/Galadriel for chasing Sauron back to Mordor? Boromir knows a bit about Lorien, why given the fact that the Last Alliance had to be major history [not too mention Galadriel's aiding the ride of Eorl] was Boromir anti-Lorien? just general
'red-neckedness'?General distrust of all not Gondorian inherited from Denethor? Just a few thoughts.

[ October 18, 2002: Message edited by: lindil ]
The dwindling Men of the West would often sit up late into the night exchanging lore & wisdom such as they still possessed that they should not fall back into the mean estate of those who never knew or indeed rebelled against the Light.
lindil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2002, 05:48 AM   #6
The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Spectre of Decay

The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via AIM to The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Sting

Quote:
Boromir knows a bit about Lorien, why given the fact that the Last Alliance had to be major history [not too mention Galadriel's aiding the ride of Eorl] was Boromir anti-Lorien? just general
'red-neckedness'?General distrust of all not Gondorian inherited from Denethor?
I find it significant that Boromir never mentions Galadriel by name when voicing his distrust. I think that the dangers of Lórien are soldiers' gossip, of which he would have had more of an opportunity to partake than serious historical study during his many years of fighting for Gondor.

We should also remember that Boromir isn't studious or reflective like his brother. He'd know about the major events in the history of Gondor and of his own house, but not the less publicised details. Perhaps Galadriel's rôle in these events wasn't common knowledge, or perhaps it wasn't widely known in Gondor that she and the lady of Lórien were one and the same.