The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-29-2010, 06:45 PM   #1
Andsigil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Andsigil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Gimli's Route to Rivendell

I may have missed this in my searches here in the forum, and I can't recall if it was addressed in FotR. Apologies in advance if I've overlooked it.

Does anyone know what Gimli's route to Rivendell was?

Of the possibilities:
1) Going north, through Ered Mithrin and rounding the tip of the Misty Mountains. Out of the question, due to dragons and Mount Gundaband's goblins. Even if he'd been that foolhardy, he would then have been faced with either going through the Ettenmoors or taking a long detour around them. It's also a long, long route.

2) Going south, around Fangorn and Rohan and then north through Eriador. Wouldn't he have been familiar with what was going on in Rohan and mentioned it at least once or twice in the story? He would also have come within striking distance of Isengard.

3) Perhaps further south into Gondor before rounding north through Eriador. Again, Gimli never mentions having been to Gondor that I can recall. I would think he would have mentioned something about it. This would also be a long, long route (unless he took a ship north. Again, nothing about ever having been on a ship).

4) West, through the Misty Mountains. The Old Ford and its road leads directly to Rivendell, but Moria isn't that far away, and I can't see how he would have taken this route without trying to go through Moria from the east. Would he then not have discovered that it was infested with goblins? Even if he didn't actually make it inside, it would seem odd that the dwarves there had no sentries, or outposts (perhaps to trade with the Beornings).