The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-25-2012, 09:20 PM   #3161
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
I was trying (fruitlessly) to figure out who's the person behind Greenie. Then it dawned on me: it's Überdeath. Mwahahahahaha!!!!!

It's at least twice as odd as you think it is. :P

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 04:52 PM   #3162
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Thumbs up

Now back to your regularly scheduled Phalian.

Don't forget that if you've lost track of The Phantom and Alien, you can look back though the...

PHANTOM AND ALIEN
COMIC ARCHIVE THING

Hmm. I notice the 300th Downer edition is coming up soon. I need to think of some good ideas for it. If anyone has some suggestions I'm open to hearing them.
Old 04-01-2012, 05:05 PM   #3163
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
And now we can all laugh at Phantom. Hahahahahahahah...ahh! no!!! It was a joke!!! I repent!!!
Old 04-01-2012, 10:17 PM   #3164
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

Ha ha, I was right!

Beneath the stairs I discovered Super Wight's legendary stack of bricks! Tomorrow I shall return to finish collecting them. Alien is guarding them for now.

Though.... Hmmm.... The thought has suddenly occurred to me that Alien may be an untrustworthy guardian.

As a matter of fact... I can almost guarantee he'll eat them.

Crap.

Last edited by the phantom; 04-01-2012 at 10:20 PM.
the phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 05:00 PM   #3165
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.

Don't forget that if you've lost track of The Phantom and Alien, you can look back though the...

PHANTOM AND ALIEN
COMIC ARCHIVE THING

If you've got suggestions for the upcoming 300th edition of the Downer I'd like to see them! Feel free to PM me an idea if you've got one.
Old 04-09-2012, 07:42 AM   #3166
narfforc
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

narfforc has been trapped in the Barrow!
Goomba's are taking over the planet, and are in disguise.... this is what Hookbill really looks like..... http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgur...EwBg&dur=11148

P.S They are a menace and highly dangerous.....they've even been known to steal children's sweets (candy).

Last edited by narfforc; 04-09-2012 at 07:48 AM.
narfforc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 05:12 PM   #3167
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

PHANTOM AND ALIEN
COMIC ARCHIVE THING

Let's all do a special dance!
Old 04-16-2012, 12:10 PM   #3168
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
MECHADEATH!!! Really, I think after Mr. Mop, this one has to be my favourite... well, and then General Crock-Face from vol. 2.

Is the animated version proceeding anywhere, Hookbill, by the way? Perhaps near for the 300th anniversary of The Downer, huh?
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 03:12 PM   #3169
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
Is the animated version proceeding anywhere, Hookbill, by the way? Perhaps near for the 300th anniversary of The Downer, huh?
It's going quite slow as Joshua is learning as he goes with the animation. Also, he's got a lot of school work and is quite lazy. I'll try and have him locked in a basement where he can only work on it from now on.
Old 04-22-2012, 04:26 PM   #3170
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

We've got to get newsed up to the max!!

PHANTOM AND ALIEN
COMIC ARCHIVE THING

Wasn't that fun?
Old 04-22-2012, 05:35 PM   #3171
Blind Guardian
Guardian of the Blind

Blind Guardian is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Wait a minute...where did the fish man come in? I am sooo lost...
Tom was poet bot. Tom only sold soul for art. Tom suffered. Mith mithed Tom
Blind Guardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 07:45 PM   #3172
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Ah, I'll never remember this episode...
Old 04-22-2012, 10:37 PM   #3173
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
WHAT episode?

Old 04-23-2012, 01:23 AM   #3174
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Guardian View Post
Wait a minute...where did the fish man come in? I am sooo lost...
The Fishman was the main villain in Volume 2. He's been mentioned a few times in this series, too. Mostly in Death episodes. The archive is being silly and I need to fix it, but in the meantime, the Volume 4 archive is HERE if you're lost.
Old 04-29-2012, 04:11 PM   #3175
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

VOLUME 1 | VOLUME 2 | VOLUME 3 | VOLUME 4

Let's just get one thing straight here; the floor is made of lava. Also, we're going to have to think of something fast as the 300th edition of the newspaper is only ten weeks away! Anyone got any ideas?
Old 04-29-2012, 04:40 PM   #3176
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Glirdan is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to Glirdan
Well this is going to put a kink in my plans for world domination......an I was already moving into phase two of my 101 steps of taking if the world!!! (and if you know anything about it, then you know that most people barely make it through phase 1!!!)
Old 04-29-2012, 11:23 PM   #3177
Blind Guardian
Guardian of the Blind

Sooo...we're going to have to wait a few episodes to find out what happens. Unless someone can convince Alien to take the MechaDeath dude back to the past. But this also explains why Alien never heard of the guy. The *present* alien isn't even in the story so far, probably off eating someone. And now MechaDeath's short part comes to an end, I mean, beginning. WHOHOO!
Old 05-06-2012, 05:12 PM   #3178
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

Progress IS being made on the animation, guys! But with exams and such happening there's a delay happening. Hopefully once this one is done it will make all future ones easier as templates will then be in place for ease of use. I don't know. I'm no expert on this stuff.
Old 05-06-2012, 05:32 PM   #3179
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

As if a joke being used to death has ever stopped anyone before.

I at least will have something silly to present for the big extravaganzaventiversary.

Old 05-06-2012, 05:36 PM   #3180
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddwen View Post
I at least will have something silly to present for the big extravaganzaventiversary.
Oddwen, consider yourself much loved.
Old 05-06-2012, 05:39 PM   #3181
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Quote:

Oh Oddy, remind me to get you some special biscuits at Britain moot.
Old 05-06-2012, 05:47 PM   #3182
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55
Aww, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookbill
Oh Oddy, remind me to get you some special biscuits at Britain moot.
Thanks, but I'd rather eat Randy. :P

Old 05-07-2012, 02:52 AM   #3183
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
Quote:

Absolutely This is just great.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Old 05-13-2012, 04:18 PM   #3184
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

This week's headline story was written by everyone's favourite phantom, the phantom!

Everyone give tp some praise. Maybe if his ego gets big enough we can harness its power to create cheap electricity for the world!!!
Old 05-13-2012, 04:52 PM   #3185
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

*gives tp some praise*. No, seriously. I LOVE THAT ARTICLE!!!
Old 05-14-2012, 10:03 AM   #3186
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
The Leijona of Mariagan is neither to be caught nor tamed, I hear. I'm glad the phantom didn't compromise his reputation as a trustworthy journalist by inventing something that just wasn't there in order to make Legate look even braver.

So, Legate, where can one find the book?
Old 05-14-2012, 12:43 PM   #3187
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganzir View Post
So, Legate, where can one find the book?
The publishing house "Goomba&Son" (nobody has ever made it clear whose son, anyway) promised to hit the stores this week. In fact, they actually said "we'll hit the stores and if they still stand, we hit them again". Originally, the intention was to publish also electronic version, but only before the person responsible for it managed to electrocute himself with it. So you have to do with the hard copy. It might be hard to get, but then again, if it's worth it for you...

In any case, Phantom, as for the advertisement you have provided, in the immortal words of Cpt. Solo: Thank you. Thank you very much.
Old 05-15-2012, 12:06 PM   #3188
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Some of the Finnish terms used are quite interesting indeed, but as it is the Downer, it's hard to say if they are mistakes or just intented "as is". In either case, it makes as perfect sense as the Downer's articles make sense in general...

I'm looking forwards to that magnum opus in days to come with great interest!

Actually. We made a great anthropological trip to the US. two years ago, so maybe we should publish an anthropological survey into the "American Soul"?

Would The Downer boost the markets with a front-page story?
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 04:36 PM   #3189
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

This newspaper is not edible.
Thanks to the phantom for the second story. I'm sure he'll appreciate the animated adventures of the Phantom and Alien just as much as the comic version. Not to mention the inevitable puppet theatre!
Old 05-20-2012, 05:12 PM   #3190
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
Co-worker of the phantom's? Hmm...I'd actually pay money to get that gig.
Old 05-20-2012, 05:22 PM   #3191
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

I nominate this P&A the best P&A of the year, when it's combined with the article...

Quote:
Gandalf's eyebrows still too big.
Alas, they are, and will continue to be. This joke can be recycled for ever and never get old. It's like Peter Pan.
Old 05-27-2012, 05:17 PM   #3192
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

What is the point of this newspaper? To give you news of top quality.
Once again we can lavish the phantom with praises and adoration for his work on the second story. How he got that interview with a mountain is beyond us, but he did it anyway.
Old 05-27-2012, 10:00 PM   #3193
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

That's some high quality entertainment.

I somehow missed last week's installment, so I had a double helping of Papery goodness today. Hurrah!

I finished work on both puppets today. Here is a teaser of Alien. And here is The Phantom.

Last edited by Oddwen; 05-27-2012 at 11:13 PM.
Old 05-27-2012, 11:34 PM   #3194
Blind Guardian
Guardian of the Blind

My goodness, that pink is bright!
Old 05-28-2012, 06:16 AM   #3195
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
This week is very unpunfessional. (No pun intended).
Old 05-28-2012, 09:15 AM   #3196
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Ooooooooooooooo, I'm mentioned in Newspaper! Awesome!

Way to go Oddykins! These poems are so appropriate!
Old 05-28-2012, 11:23 AM   #3197
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The bottom of the ocean, discussing philosophy with a giant squid
Meneltarmacil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
This newspaper is not edible.
*om nom nom* Wait, what did that say? *munch munch* Ah, never mind, it can't be that important. *nom nom*
Old 06-03-2012, 05:34 PM   #3198
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

Thanks to the phantom for his stories over the last few weeks! They made my Sundays much easier!

Rest assured, I shall be going on a long and harsh campaign of nagging my brother into animating the Phantom and Alien cartoon!! Perhaps we were a little ambitious with it, but I still hope it turns out okay. If not, we can always fall back on Oddwen's puppet theatre!
Old 06-03-2012, 05:40 PM   #3199
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Part-time traffic light!!! Brilliant!
Old 06-03-2012, 07:19 PM   #3200
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The bottom of the ocean, discussing philosophy with a giant squid
Meneltarmacil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Hmm, I do remember reading this on LOTR Wiki:

Quote:
On an excerpt from a letter of Tolkien's, a new Ainu shall enter Arda upon the side of Melkor, and will aid him in battle. This Ainu is said to have a special relationship with Mandos, although it is not known whether or not he is a Vala or Maia. He is said to be held equal with Sauron, and his name was given by Christopher Tolkien as Gilthrang.
Can Helmost the Dreadfully Evil confirm any connection with this Gilthrang guy? Like, is he working as the Walk/Don't Walk signal or something?

Also, dinosaurs? Is the Dagor Dagorath going to involve dinosaur cavalry? It really should.

Last edited by Meneltarmacil; 06-03-2012 at 07:23 PM.
Meneltarmacil is offline   Reply With Quote