The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-13-2007, 03:43 PM   #1
goldfinger
Haunting Spirit

goldfinger has just left Hobbiton.
What do you wish Tolkien....

would have elaborated more on or had been more in depth in?

For me I would have liked to have known the names of the other Six Father of the Dwarves, who they were, and the history of their houses.

Better figures given in battles, populations, and so forth.

More about the War of the Dwarves and Orcs. Who the commanders were, other battles, strength and casualty reports...

Maps of Eastern ME. Who the people, were their cultures, history...

the names of some different cities of the Dwarves in the Grey Mts, Blue Mts, and the Iron Hills.

A history of the wandering Dunedain.

And so much more.
goldfinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 06:00 PM   #2
McCaber
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

McCaber has been trapped in the Barrow!
A full version of the battle of Gondolin.
McCaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 01:51 PM   #3
Sauron the White
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sauron the White has just left Hobbiton.
I would be extremely happy if when I look at the multi-volume HISTORY OF MIDDLE EARTH sitting upon my shelves , that it truly lived up to its title and not be the HISTORY OF THE WRITING ABOUT MIDDLE EARTH which it is. Of course, if you gave it the proper title that actually fits the contents they would have sold even less copies than what they did. 12 volumes indeed!
Sauron the White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 02:03 PM   #4
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by McCaber View Post
On a similar topic, I would like a lot more on Idril, far more interesting and admirable than Luthien to my mind.

I also like more on the house of Dol Amroth and why exactly Celeborn and his grandsons lingered at Rivendell.

And of course lots of herblore and botany, information on gondorian architecture and costumes everywhere. Lots more elvish and of courses the zooology of Middle Earth so we can finally resolve the question on the colour of Legolas's hare and Isildur's hare...

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 02:26 PM   #5
Volo
Silver in My Silent Heart

Volo has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Skype™ to Volo
A longer Valaquenta.
Old 12-14-2007, 05:00 PM   #6
Aiwendil
Late Istar

Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
My wish-list is:

1. A full Tale of Earendil - this is the one major story in the Legendarium for which we have nothing even approaching a 'full version'.

2. A large-scale telling of the Fall of Numenor and the Last Alliance - this strikes me as being capable of sustaining much more than a short work like the Akallabeth. I think that Amandil, Elendil, Isildur, Anarion, Ar-Pharazon and the rest would make great characters in a novel-length version.

3. Maglor's Noldolante - a full telling of the flight of the Noldor. Like the Fall of Numenor, I think this story has everything needed for a great novel.

4. The Lost Road - I found this really intriguing, and I wish we had more than four chapters of it. I'd love to read some of the intermediate chapters, between the modern ones and the Numenorean - some of the ideas in the outline sounded very interesting.

5. Tal-Elmar - for some reason, this fragment really drew me in. I'm not sure whether it was really going anywhere, but I think it could have gone somewhere good.
Aiwendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 09:56 AM   #7
Lindale
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Lindale has just left Hobbiton.
the histories of the "little" peoples: More on the Hobbits and the Druadan, and the Ents and how they lost the Entwives, the Wild Men that the Rohirrim encountered, and the "uncivilized" men that the Numenoreans found. And of course, on the "Big" folk, more stories on Numenor and how Maglor fared after the short bit telling how the Silmaril he had he threw on the sea.

Legal Madness.
Lindale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 11:01 AM   #8
William Cloud Hicklin
Loremaster of Annúminas

William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
A completed Notion Club Papers. And the Farmer Giles sequel.
Old 12-31-2007, 11:13 AM   #9
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
More stuff - stories and history - about Hobbits. That'd be wonderful.
Old 12-31-2007, 12:29 PM   #10
zxcvbn
Wight

zxcvbn has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauron the White View Post
I would be extremely happy if when I look at the multi-volume HISTORY OF MIDDLE EARTH sitting upon my shelves , that it truly lived up to its title and not be the HISTORY OF THE WRITING ABOUT MIDDLE EARTH which it is. Of course, if you gave it the proper title that actually fits the contents they would have sold even less copies than what they did. 12 volumes indeed!
Heh heh. Yes, it's a very misleading title. When I first read the title 'History of Middle-Earth' in the list of Tolkien books I was overjoyed that I'd get to learn more in depth knowledge of Middle Earth history. Then I got hold of the Book of Lost Tales and read a bunch of half-finished narratives that had the same stories as the Silmarillion, albeit seriously inconsistent and with some commentary at the end. And i was like ***?

I would have wished for Tolkien to write a detailed history of the many Kingdoms of Men that existed in the Dark Years of the Second Age and were totally forgotten later, such as Dunharrow.
zxcvbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 12:34 PM   #11
mormegil
Maundering Mage

mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
I would like to learn more about the Entwives and Tom Bombadil. Also, do Balrogs have wings?

I would love to know in more detail what happens to men, dwarves hobbit, orcs...basically all non-elves when they die.
Old 12-31-2007, 07:22 PM   #12
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
More about hobbits in general, more about Frodo's parents indeed.
Herblore of the Shire by:Meriadoc Brandybuck
Galadriel
The History of Doriath and Lembas
Merry's Children
Sam's children
Frodo and Bilbo after they get to Valinor
Old 12-31-2007, 10:13 PM   #13
saystine

Tolkien Celebrian

I wish that there was more about Celebrian,
her relationship with Elrond, and the founding
of Rivendell.

I just feel that she is a key character with ties to
so many other characters, that I am sad that there
is more stories about her.

I keep hoping they will find a lost manuscript!
Old 01-01-2008, 07:08 PM   #14
Alfirin
Shade of Carn Dûm

Alfirin has been trapped in the Barrow!
A definitve answer to what actually did happen to Alatar and Pallando (the two blue wizards who went into the east with Saruman)
Alfirin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 12:48 AM   #15
MatthewM
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

MatthewM has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to MatthewM
A lot of things!

-I would love to have a full description of Boromir's journey from Minas Tirith to Rivendell.

-What happened to Elladan and Elrohir?

-How did Tolkien come to a final vision after the process that is read in HoMe?

I have a lot of appearance questions...appearance questions that most people probably do not care about!

-I would like incredibly detailed physical appearances on each member of The Fellowship. I would love an answer to my questions on beards- most likely they did not, but I would love to know whether or not Tolkien pictured Boromir and Aragorn with beards of any kind. I know the canon leans towards no, but it is never mentioned that they do not. For my part I see them as beardless...which leads me to my next question...

-Were all Numenoreans beardless until old age? When did they start growing beards? Were they unable to or did they choose not to in fashion after the Elves?

-Were there dark-haired Rohirrim?

-The hair color of Legolas?

Of course there are more that I might post later.

Last edited by MatthewM; 01-02-2008 at 01:09 AM.
MatthewM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 07:02 PM   #16
Morwen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Morwen has just left Hobbiton.
I would like more detail about the elven refugee community at Sirion and more info on what Gondor was like under the rule of Aragorn.
Old 08-07-2010, 07:17 PM   #17
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
I'd wish for:

1. More information on the Men of Harad and Rhûn

2. Details of Minas Morgul, and what day-to-day life was like for the Orcs serving there next to the Nazgûl.

3. A look at the surviving remnants of Beleriand after the War of Wrath, such as Himling, Tol Fuin, and Tol Morwen.

4. A better description of Dol Guldur.
Old 08-07-2010, 09:32 PM   #18
Ibrîniðilpathânezel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ibrîniðilpathânezel is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Ibrîniðilpathânezel is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
I think I would like to know the real story about the Blue Wizards and what happened to them — but maybe not. There have been times when an author did write about little things I'd wondered about, and I found the "official" version disappointing.
Old 08-08-2010, 11:25 PM   #19
Sardy
Wight

Sardy has just left Hobbiton.
I'd love to know more about the Blue Wizards---their mission(s) and their fate(s), as well as Radagast's doings about Middle-earth... Would also love to learn more about Dol Guldur and the Necromancer... Some of the more obscure creatures of Middle-Earth (like Old Man Willow, Bilbo's Trolls and Giants, etc...)
Old 08-09-2010, 06:18 AM   #20
Galadriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Galadriel has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

I am quite content with his works, but since this is just a dream:

1. I would have liked to know what became of Maglor after Maedhros died.
2. More stories with Tom Bombadil. His episode in LotR seemed so fleeting.
3. A little more elaboration on the lineage of Thranduil. I know Oropher was his father, but other than that I have no clue.
4. I wish Tolkien would specify a little more on hair and eye colour. It was rather irritating to read about characters who were nothing but a blob. Eg: Legolas, Ecthelion, Fingolfin, Frodo, etc.
5. A little more women in the stories. They seem to exist mostly as 'prizes' for the male heroes, even if they are strong.
6. More detail with deaths and other scenes. It seems very rushed when Tolkien says 'and hence he died, fighting a werewolf' etc.

That's all I can think of for now, but maybe I'll post more later...
Old 08-09-2010, 07:45 AM   #21
Tuor in Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tuor in Gondolin has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Yahoo to Tuor in Gondolin
1. I agree about the Blue Wizards. It's intriguing to read
that they were "missionaries" in the East. Even if they
"failed" as such, their overall influence could have been
ameliorartive (sp.?) towards the Easterners and Southerners
Sauron influence.
Related, how many of the wizards were allowed back into
Valinor, and on what conditions? I'd imagine Radagast was,
if perhaps demoted a peg or two for scatterbrainness ,
but what of the Blue Wizards- sent to much more trying
and challenging situations then the other three?

2. The tale of Aragorn's journeys- including into Far Harad where the
stars are strange, perhaps attenuated like Tuor's in Unfinished Tales.

3. As was done with Eowyn, more stronger/assertive women in
Beleriand and Numenor. Picture Finduilas taking on a dragon or
(being rescued by the Brethil lads while being taken north) becoming
a lady Robin Hood in the forest, and not too forgiving towards her ex-
boyfriend, that hot-head Turin.

And speaking of Queen Beruthiel...What of her story. Perhaps she
and her shipmates survived.

Last edited by Tuor in Gondolin; 08-09-2010 at 07:49 AM.
Tuor in Gondolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 12:24 PM   #22
Archaic Elf
Animated Skeleton

Archaic Elf has just left Hobbiton.
If we could have one thing, a full novel of Tuor and the Fall of Gondolin would be the way to go. I haven't read "The Children of Hurin" yet, but I would trade that for a full account of the fall of Gondolin in a heartbeat. I like both stories, but Turin's tale is describe to a satisfying extent in the Silmarillion and Unfinished Tales.

I'll agree that the story of the Blue Wizards would be phenomenal to read. If we could have a history of the East, the origin and history of man, and detailed maps of the entire Earth (beyond Valinor and Middle Earth), then that would add even more depth to an already massive world. You would have to take seminars in school to be able to get a handle on it all.

Other than that, maybe just more details here and there, like more information about the rangers. Too bad Tolkien didn't have a few laptop computers...
Archaic Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 08:17 AM   #23
narfforc
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

narfforc has been trapped in the Barrow!
I would like to have seen his continuation of The New Shadow.
Old 08-10-2010, 11:33 AM   #24
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
To borrow an answer from Pippin:
"The names of all the stars, and of all living things, and the whole history of Middle-earth and Over-heaven and of the Sundering Seas [...] Of course! What less?"
Old 08-10-2010, 11:52 AM   #25
Tuor in Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tuor in Gondolin has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Yahoo to Tuor in Gondolin
Of course, had Tolkien been an elf he might have
gotten around to much of the above. Another
400-500 years and he'd really have gotten going.
Old 08-10-2010, 12:48 PM   #26
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
The origins of the Nazgul... who were they before they were Ring-Wraiths?

Same with the Mouth of Sauron.

And what about the Haradrim, the Easterlings, and the Southrons? All we really know about them is that they rode Oliphaunts...

More about Hobbits, though that's already been said. More about Gollum's race. Just more about other settlements of people in general... like who were the people whose babies Gollum was stealing and eating (very poorly paraphrased...).
Firefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 02:42 AM   #27
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

doug*platypus has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Oh, so many things!! The first thing that came to my mind however was the Istari, in particular the Blue Wizards. Having said that, though, perhaps it's better in a way that they remain mysterious!
Old 08-15-2010, 09:40 AM   #28
ecthelion
Pile O'Bones

ecthelion has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by McCaber View Post
I agree! The battle described in the book of lost tales is amazing, but if Tolkien could have published it with all the new ideas he had late in his life it would have easily been my favorite story of the silmarillian.
ecthelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 09:10 AM   #29
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Shield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
More information on the Men of Harad and Rhûn.
This. I'd love to hear about the different cultures of men and not just have them described by Northerners.

Like to know more about the Witch-Realm of Angmar - seems like a very creepy place.
Old 09-03-2010, 12:35 PM   #30
Rumil
Sage & Onions

Rumil has been trapped in the Barrow!
Eye If if if

"I wish the Prof had time", I said,
"To talk of many things:
Of Elves--and Dwarves--and ME maps--
Of Dunedain--and Kings--
And why dragon breath is boiling hot--
And if Balrogs have wings."

Oh, Tuor in Gondolin, I heard that JRRT wrote a story about the Travels of Aragorn but the manuscript was subsequently lost .

I've wanted more info on Lindon and the Grey Havens. Imagine a biography of Cirdan - he'd been in Middle Earth right through (possibly even from Cuivienen), I bet he had a good tale or two!
Old 09-03-2010, 07:24 PM   #31
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
I want a house on the shores of Annuminas.
Old 01-07-2011, 03:34 PM   #32
Flame of Udûn
Animated Skeleton

Flame of Udûn has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Flame of Udûn
Pipe

I wish he had published complete works on all his languages especially the Elvish languages and Khuzdul would have been brilliant if there was a total vocabulary for them available and they could have been used as actual languages especially Quenya which was his attempt to form a perfect language
Old 01-11-2011, 12:00 AM   #33
Elemmakil
Pile O'Bones

Elemmakil has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flame of Udûn View Post
I wish he had published complete works on all his languages especially the Elvish languages and Khuzdul would have been brilliant if there was a total vocabulary for them available and they could have been used as actual languages especially Quenya which was his attempt to form a perfect language
Ditto. At least for Khuzdul. Though appararently there are some notes that may, someday, if one possesses Elven (or at least Dunedain) longevity, get published in Vinyar Tengwar...
Elemmakil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 07:59 AM   #34
Galin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Galin is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Galin is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flame of Udûn
Well, as a wish there's nothing wrong with this obviously, but I'll just point out something Tolkien said in an interview:

"No. No. No. I wouldn't mind other people knowing it, and enjoying it, but I didn't really want to, like some people who have been equally inventive in languages [? desiring ?] to sort of make cults and have people speaking it all together, no, I don't desire to go and have an afternoon talking Elvish to chaps. For one thing of course Elvish is too complicated. I've never finished making it."

I think JRRT wanted to 'complete' some things about 'Elvish', maybe including a presentation of the historical relationships between the various Elvish language branches (at least in some measure), or producing consistent enough and satisfactory etymologies concerning a lot of his nomenclature, for another example, but I don't get the feeling he wanted to complete a given language in the sense of presenting it to the world as finished and 'usuable', like Esperanto for instance.

Not that anyone said otherwise in any case

Last edited by Galin; 01-11-2011 at 04:15 PM.
Galin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 09:50 PM   #35
Elemmakil
Pile O'Bones

Elemmakil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Another thing I should like to have seen more of is the rewrite of Hobbit c. 1960 that was intended to bring it more in line with the published LoTR. As I recall (too lazy to get up and go to the shelf...) he got three (?I think that's right) chapters in but abandoned the project when an unidentified friend, to whom he had shown the draft, commented something to the effect that "it was very good, but not The Hobbit".

While I respect the reason behind the decision, I rather wish he had postponed showing this friend the draft for at least another chapter or two (or three or...) as it was fascinating to watch how he tried to reconcile The Hobbit with his later works. For example, to help explain why Gandalf could not read the inscriptions on the swords found in the Troll cave (since, as is obvious from LoTR, he certainly could), Tolkien rewrote the text slightly to state that the swords were covered in dried orc blood, and would need to be cleaned and repolished to read any inscriptions.

The text cuts off at the end of "Roast Mutton" - had Tolkien gotten to at least the next chapter we might have been rewarded with, for example, a fuller description of Orcrist and Glamdring. While certainly not all would agree, I at least think it would have been very cool.
Elemmakil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 09:16 PM   #36
The Sixth Wizard
Shade of Carn Dûm

The Sixth Wizard has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to The Sixth Wizard
Of course we'd love to have a full account of Feanor's life, the grand events of the first battles of the Elves and Morgoth, and more about the crossing of the ice and the Kinslaying. Not to mention much more about Earendil's travels, a book like the Voyage of the Dawn Treader without all the Biblical allegory would be amazing.
The Sixth Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 01:57 PM   #37
Cirdan
Animated Skeleton

Cirdan has just left Hobbiton.
I wish that J.R.R. had been given the life of the Eldar so he could have continued writing!

First and foremost, I'd like to read a completed Silmarillion fleshed out to the level of a couple of the Unfinished Tales like those of Tuor and Turin. What a monumental work the Silmarillion would have been if every chapter was a detailed saga!

I would also like alot more of the histories of Arnor and Gondor. Where exactly did the Dunedain of Rhudaur and Cardolan live? A lot more on Umbar, the Black Numenoreans, and how a few of them became Nazgul. The story of the slaying of Scatha the Worm, more about Dorwinion and life around the Sea of Rhun, and Nurnen, and what was built at Emyn Arnen?
Cirdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 02:47 PM   #38
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I wish there was more written on the life inside an Elvish society (except for the drunk guard in TH, that is ). What was family life like? How did Elves react to 'you have to serve this guy cause he's your lord', especially in the First Age?

I especially wondered about Rivendell. Elrond is no King, yet everyone accepts him as almost-such. Are all Elves happy to serve him? What kind of 'servant hierarchy' do they have?
Old 03-04-2011, 04:10 PM   #39
Cirdan
Animated Skeleton

Cirdan has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumil View Post
I've wanted more info on Lindon and the Grey Havens. Imagine a biography of Cirdan - he'd been in Middle Earth right through (possibly even from Cuivienen), I bet he had a good tale or two!
Yeah!!! And why he, of all elves, seemed aged with a grey beard! Did he offend Illuvatar with his jokes or something?
Cirdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 04:29 PM   #40
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirdan View Post
Quote:
Yeah!!! And why he, of all elves, seemed aged with a grey beard! Did he offend Illuvatar with his jokes or something?
Yes, that too! Cirdan is another enigma!

But still, what I'm most curious about is life withing an Elven community. We know that they got fruits and vegetables from somewhere. I doubt that Rivendell imported them from Dunlend, or something. They must have had farms. Can you imagine a proud elf weeding their vegetable garden? And we know that some Elves (*cough Thranduil's guard *cough) aren't very happy with their Lords. I wonder what Elrond's people think of their role as his servants.