The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-23-2005, 11:26 AM   #1761
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Fordim Hedgethistle has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holbytlass
It's been soo long, SIGN ME UP!!
I've got a score to settle with Holby....

I'm in.
Fordim Hedgethistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 11:52 AM   #1762
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
White-Hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmp
How about the one who's highest on the list and shows up by Dec. 1, gets to do it?
Personally, I would rather get going as soon as possible, but I understand that some of you colonials ( ) would prefer to wait until some odd ceremony involving the consumption of large amounts of turkey is over.

Nevertheless, I would prefer to have the next game's mod in place as soon as possible so that the usual pre-game discussions etc can get underway. I regard the mod-in-waiting list as obsolete now, other than as an indication of those who are interested in modding.

So, as I said, as far as I am concerned, the next volunteer with a few games under their belt who wants to mod and has not done so before gets to mod the next game.
Old 11-23-2005, 12:11 PM   #1763
Alcarillo
Shadow of the Past

Alcarillo has just left Hobbiton.
I would like to mod, but I'm still not sure for certain if my schedule will allow it. I know on the tenth I'll need a backup mod, but besides that I think I'll be free. I'll check in later today just to confirm I can. Just think of me now as an "unofficial" mod.

And I can always wait for the next game if somebody else really wants to mod this one.
Alcarillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 03:19 PM   #1764
Holbytlass
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Holbytlass has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpM
Personally, I would rather get going as soon as possible, but I understand that some of you colonials would prefer to wait until some odd ceremony involving the consumption of large amounts of turkey is over.
I agree, we can talk shop and turkey (that's just tomorrow), it usually takes a few days to get things squared away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordim
I've got a score to settle with Holby....
*gulp* and what score would that be?
Old 11-23-2005, 03:31 PM   #1765
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holbytlass
*gulp* and what score would that be?
How quickly they pretend to forget...
Old 11-23-2005, 06:59 PM   #1766
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

Ah yes, I remember that well. That post of yours that you linked should be given a spot in the werewolf hall of fame, Fordim. I love it.
Old 11-23-2005, 09:47 PM   #1767
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Quote:
Originally Posted by the phantom
Ah yes, I remember that well. That post of yours that you linked should be given a spot in the werewolf hall of fame, Fordim. I love it.
Hall of Shame you should say. I had it! I HAD IT, I HAD IT, I HAD IT!!! I was that close to leading the villagers to a victory over the werewolves in a 'straight' game and I let myself lose sight of the ball in the very last posts of the game. Grrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!

The wolves had best watch out this time....

Or maybe the villagers....

Who knows.....?
Old 11-24-2005, 12:27 AM   #1768
Alcarillo
Shadow of the Past

I have checked my schedule and after much thought I have decided that I should be able to mod this werewolf game. I would certainly love to, if nobody else will.
Old 11-24-2005, 12:58 AM   #1769
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Silmaril

Quote:
Hall of Shame you should say. I had it! I HAD IT, I HAD IT, I HAD IT!!! I was that close to leading the villagers to a victory over the werewolves in a 'straight' game and I let myself lose sight of the ball in the very last posts of the game. Grrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!
*pats at the back* I know very well how you feel...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcarillo
I have checked my schedule and after much thought I have decided that I should be able to mod this werewolf game. I would certainly love to, if nobody else will.
Well, since you declared your willingness and avilability first, I guess everyone will agree that the mod god throne is now rightfully yours.

And maybe you could now lay your terms on the table...?
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 03:23 AM   #1770
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

White-Hand At last ...

Alcarillo, the game's all yours to mod.

The players currently signed up are:

The Saucepan Man
Mormegil
Formendacil
Kath
Dancing spawn of ungoliant
WaynetheGoblin
Rune Son of Bjarne
Gurthang
Aiwendil
Folwren
Boromir88
Wilwarin538
Lhunardawen
Holbytlass
Fordim Hedgethistle

An impressive list! Good to see Aiwendil dipping his toe in wolvish waters for the first time, and also a return to the game after too long for Fordim and Lhuna.

Alcarillo, there are 15 players already signed up. What's your player limit? Also, what roles 'n rules do you propose implementing and when do you plan on starting? I believe that some of the above can't play unless we wait until 3 December.
Old 11-24-2005, 06:49 AM   #1771
Holbytlass
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
How quickly they pretend to forget...
Oh....yea, that score. As of now I shall get the brunt since Shelob and Oddwen aren't here, but all I can say is GAME ON!!!
This is a good looking village, and fresh blood. I don't care when we start.
Old 11-24-2005, 07:42 AM   #1772
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to wilwarin538
Quote:
An impressive list!
You can say that again. This will definetely be a very interesting game.

I don't care when we start, I'm willing to wait till December 3rd.
Old 11-24-2005, 10:12 AM   #1773
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

A 3 December start is fine for me, for what it's worth.

If I could make a humble request to our fearless mod for as 'straight' a game of WW as possible...? One of the reasons it has been so long since I played is that I'm not so sure about all these Beornings, Shirrifs, Rangers, Whatnots and Whoozits -- seems to me like too many moving parts. As difficult as it may be for the villagers, I much prefer to have Wolves, Villagers, one Seer, one Hunter and one Cursed.

But I have not actually played in any of the games with these fancy-schmancy figures so I do not speak from direct experience -- maybe the games are more interesting for the participants...
Old 11-24-2005, 12:41 PM   #1774
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordim Hedgethistle
A 3 December start is fine for me, for what it's worth.

If I could make a humble request to our fearless mod for as 'straight' a game of WW as possible...? One of the reasons it has been so long since I played is that I'm not so sure about all these Beornings, Shirrifs, Rangers, Whatnots and Whoozits -- seems to me like too many moving parts. As difficult as it may be for the villagers, I much prefer to have Wolves, Villagers, one Seer, one Hunter and one Cursed.

But I have not actually played in any of the games with these fancy-schmancy figures so I do not speak from direct experience -- maybe the games are more interesting for the participants...
I'm with Master Fordhim on this particular request.

Of course, as Mod, you have the option to do things as you see fit, but I like a basic game. It means more general bandwaggoning and fun, and less crazy strategize/worrying.

But, as Mod, it's your pick.

Go nuts.
Old 11-24-2005, 02:25 PM   #1775
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saucepan Man
Lots of player sign-ups, but we remain modless.

Anyone interested?
Ironically at WWJ we have many mods and few players.....

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 11:36 PM   #1776
Alcarillo
Shadow of the Past

Leaf

I will close recruitment and stick with the 15 players we have now.

Some Basic Rules
Non-retractable votes
Up to two multi-lynched at once

I'm in the minority: I like multiple lynchings; I think they're exciting. But as not to anger rest of you, I have set a maximum of two-at-a-time.

Possible Roles (that will almost certainly be changed)
3 werewolves
2 sherrifs (Elendili)
1 seer
1 ranger
1 hunter
1 cobbler (agent of Sauron/Pharazon)
And the rest ordinary villagers.

But this is obviously too many gifteds for a villages of 15. I'm rather set on sherrifs and a cobbler, because they so easily can be given Numenorean roles, and I've had a first-post-of-the-game outlined in my mind for a while now that fits perfectly an Elendili vs King's agents scenario. Perhaps we can get rid of our ranger and hunter? What do you guys think?

The Village
The village is on the northernmost tip of Numenor during the reign of Ar-Pharazon, so if you pick occupations within the village they should be appropriate for the time and place. No dentists, TV repairmen, plumbers, etc. This is just a little village in the middle of nowhere.
Old 11-25-2005, 01:26 AM   #1777
mormegil
Maundering Mage

mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sounds good but I would say keep either the hunter or ranger. Probably the hunter as it doesn't necissarily tip the scales in the favor of the innocents, is a bit of a wild card.

As far as profession goes, I'll be a repairman specializing in ships and docks.
Old 11-25-2005, 01:36 AM   #1778
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Silmaril

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saucepan Man
An impressive list! Good to see Aiwendil dipping his toe in wolvish waters for the first time, and also a return to the game after too long for Fordim and Lhuna.
I agree, except for the very last thing mentioned. But then again, I played a negligible character in Werewolf XII...so, I completely agree.

I'm looking forward to playing for the first time with a lot of people, and playing again with the rest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcarillo
But this is obviously too many gifteds for a villages of 15.
Well, it actually depends on how you want the sheriffs to be. In VI, the game was turned in favor of the villagers thanks in part to the sheriffs' revelation of themselves. But in VII, with the rule that they can't reveal themselves until one dies, they weren't really considered gifted much, no offense to wilwa and Enca. At least that's how I perceived it.

If it comes to the point of having to remove roles, I guess the Hunter can be discarded...

Numenor, huh? Interesting. By the way, when do you intend to start the game? Will it be on the 3rd of December as requested?

Last edited by Lhunardawen; 11-25-2005 at 01:52 AM.
Old 11-25-2005, 03:29 AM   #1779
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

White-Hand

I would be sad to see the exclusion of either the Ranger or the Hunter, since both roles have the potential to make for interesting games and have certainly enhanced recent games. On the other hand, I am not a great fan of Shirriffs who, it seems to me, have less potential to add to the game's interest. And while allowing them to reveal at any time probably makes them too powerful, stipulating that they can only reveal once one of them has died has always struck me as rather illogical, and that troubles me.

Why not simply label both the Hunter and the Ranger as Elendili, albeit ones who do not know each other's identity?

Glad to see the return of the Cobbler, though.
Old 11-25-2005, 03:34 AM   #1780
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
The Shirrifs are only real of any use when they're allowed to reveal themselves, but that then gives the villagers too much of an advantage. I wouldn't mind seeing them excluded but it's your game Alcarillo!

What date are we starting by the way?
Old 11-25-2005, 06:46 AM   #1781
WaynetheGoblin
Shade of Carn Dûm

WaynetheGoblin has just left Hobbiton.
I dont really care when it starts or what the rolls are I just whant to play.
Old 11-25-2005, 06:56 AM   #1782
Holbytlass
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I share SpM's view, leave out shirrifs, keep hunter/ranger and the cobbler is always interesting, keep it.
Old 11-25-2005, 12:53 PM   #1783
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
I've never played with Shirriffs, so I'm a bit curious to see them in play, but I agree that if they remain, then either the Ranger or the Hunter ought to go, and I agree with Morm that it should be the Ranger that is kicked out, since the Ranger, like the Shirriffs, is a role that definitely benefits only villagers, whereas the Hunter can be a two-edged sword.

For my occupation I wish to be a Middle-Earth born Numenorean mariner, native to Pelargir, moved back to the Old Country to push paper. (Aka. Disgruntled Office Clerk.)

Sounds intriguing, the location and all that, by the way.
Old 11-25-2005, 03:24 PM   #1784
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots

Before everyone goes overboard with the "let's get rid of anything that might only benefit the villagers" kick, let me remind you that the reason why (specifically the sheriffs) were brought in to begin with is that the villagers suffered a string of crushing and unmitigated defeats.

True, the villagers are winning some now, but let's keep an open mind about all this. We don't want to drift back into a series of uninterrupted slaughters again. That would be boring.
Old 11-25-2005, 04:09 PM   #1785
Aiwendil
Late Istar

Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Though I've never played before, and consequently speak without the benefit of any experience, I tend to agree with The Saucepan Man - the Shirriffs don't strike me as particularly interesting, and limiting when they can reveal themselves is quite illogical. I like the idea of a Hunter and Ranger dubbed Elendili.
Aiwendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 06:49 PM   #1786
Alcarillo
Shadow of the Past

Silmaril

The game will begin on the third of December, as requested. And here's a new list of roles we could use, like the last one, but without sherriffs:

Ranger
Hunter
Seer
Cobbler
3 werewolves
and the rest as ordinary villagers
Old 11-26-2005, 08:43 AM   #1787
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

Thumbs up

Sounds good to me. Can't wait.
Old 11-26-2005, 08:57 AM   #1788
Holbytlass
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Fine with me. What is the time going to be, Alcarillo?
Old 11-26-2005, 10:59 AM   #1789
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Thumbs up

but what am I going to spend my time on until then ?

Actually it all sounds good ! I am looking foreward to the game.

I too would like to know what time, so that I can refuse any work that might hinder me in posting the last hours before the voting ends.

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2005, 11:10 AM   #1790
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Glirdan is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to Glirdan
Just to let all those who haven't signed up for this because they didn't want to or whatever other reason, Sleepy is running the next WWJ game so head on over there to sign up.
Old 11-26-2005, 11:13 AM   #1791
mormegil
Maundering Mage

mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sounds good Alcarillo and thanks for starting on Dec 3rd. Now is that a night phase or day? The reason I ask is because on the 3rd I have my LSAT which will require a good portion of my day.
Old 11-26-2005, 04:48 PM   #1792
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
White Tree

Wow, this indeed does look fun, some new faces, and some original werewolvers that I haven't faced before...this should indeed be fun.

For my profession, I will be a crab farmer.
Old 11-27-2005, 05:25 AM   #1793
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Silmaril

Echoing Holby here, what time will a phase start? You'll have to consider people like me who live in strange time zones...

No, no, I'm not pressuring you.

And I do hope it starts with a night phase.

For my profession, I will be a polite little shepherd girl.
Old 11-27-2005, 11:08 AM   #1794
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

Boots

Well, as the village is located on the northernmost tip of Numenor, and we seem to have a gaggle of maritime types already, we must have a harbour. So I shall be the village harbourmaster. A jolly old fellow with a white, bushy beard, a pipe and a catalogue of tales from my former life as a mariner.
Old 11-27-2005, 11:55 AM   #1795
WaynetheGoblin
Shade of Carn Dûm

WaynetheGoblin has just left Hobbiton.
this is going to be a good game. I will be a doctor.
Old 11-27-2005, 11:56 AM   #1796
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

the guy who be short has just left Hobbiton.
Hmmm... is it too late to join this game? I've been off werewolf too long for my liking, and seeing as I have a lot of coursework to hand in soon, the most logical thing I can do is join a Werewolf game.
the guy who be short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 04:43 PM   #1797
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Hmm, I don't really know what I'd like to be, so if you want to assign me a random role Alcarillo please feel free. Otherwise I shall be the role-less one.
Old 11-27-2005, 05:06 PM   #1798
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
I dont know what to be, if I don't think of anything else I will be a religious leader.

If it is ok with the mod, that is.

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 05:17 PM   #1799
mormegil
Maundering Mage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kath
Hmm, I don't really know what I'd like to be, so if you want to assign me a random role Alcarillo please feel free. Otherwise I shall be the role-less one.
We call "role-less" ones homeless, hobos or bums over here. Is that what you are?
Old 11-27-2005, 05:27 PM   #1800
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Ok I can be a bum!