The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-16-2011, 11:10 AM   #401
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

Ah, I see, Nilp. I still had you down for your original FW prediction. And I changed Vana to Varda, Sally.

Nice to hear you're itching to be a writer, Nilp! It would be most helpful to have you on board- tough schedules and all. Great thanks to Nog and Boro for all their help despite their schedules- match reports, stats/predictions, and general tournament discussion behind the scenes.

And we'll have to give some thought to Morm's idea of having handicaps.
Old 08-16-2011, 02:34 PM   #402
Shastanis Althreduin
Werewolf Psychic

Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
I think it could be fun to have all the TiG players drafted to different teams next year. Imagine, Phantom playing alongside the likes of Curufin and Celegorm. I wonder whose ego would win... oh wait.
Shasta– ... However, if he's innocent his famous clairvoyant powers must be taking the week off. Meanwhile, the Night-kills have been awfully effective– almost like we're dealing with a psychic wolf... - Nerwen, WW LXXV
Shastanis Althreduin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 03:17 PM   #403
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Congrats Gwath for the astonishnig second victory! You can win one by luck but not two - especially with the margin you did it this time. The whole Arda begs for Gwathagorian Chronicles to share their ideas on the media-front the next year!

And Skip at the second post once again? No randomness involved I say...

Heh, I just realised... if I'd gotten the (less than) average 20pts from the pre-tournament predictions I would have been second... doesn't that sound familiar? Don Quixote...

Thanks to the phantom for not only the enormous work you did for this but also for your lenience and stretching for us writers having comfortable scheduals within the limits we had time to do things. I always knew you're a generous and considerate person, and this only confirmed it - even if this now destroys your reputation as the self-centered bastard...

And a big hand for Boro and Nilp, you were just awesome! Also toGaladriel, we're looking forwards to read more of EAisticle - and Kuru...

Fun, once again, even if I had to kind of withdraw from the end by RL matters (but it was a Barrow-Downer Finland Moot - so I'd say a worthy cause...).

Let's see you all the next year in an even more interesting tournament!
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 04:32 PM   #404
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
I hope my victory wasn't too astonishing.
Old 08-16-2011, 09:05 PM   #405
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

Location: The brink, where hope and despair are akin. [The Philippines]
Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Pipe

Well, it certainly was overwhelming, Gwath. You didn't need the final round pts or the pre-tourney predictions to win. *shakes head*

Haha, anyway, I've been imagining a team for next year, and I came up with this for a Nargothrond squad of doom.

Perennially they've been weak on defence, so what if Cel, Curu, and Huan comes back--the two can play forward; more important is the Hound on goal. Oh, and having Celebrimbor Curufinion along would be nice. Then Gelmir and Arminas can drag--I mean, bring Ulmo along with them. Of course, Finrod would be there, and then Finduilas might finally entice Turin (and even his father!) to join. Resulting in this:

Nargothrond Dream Team
GK Huan
DF Gelmir
DF Arminas
DF Ulmo
DF Celebrimbor
MF Finduilas
MF Húrin
MF Finrod
FW Curufin
FW Celegorm
FW Túrin

So, yeah, I am dreaming.
Nilpaurion Felagund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 09:19 PM   #406
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
I had a couple of very good rounds, but after that it was just a matter of hanging on until the end and trying to score a safe, average amount of points each round.
Old 08-17-2011, 12:52 AM   #407
skip spence
shadow of a doubt

skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Finishing second is no fun but I guess I'd have to be happy with it considering how Gwath was out of sight and how I managed to get my nose in front of a few people towards the end.

Great work with the tournament, Phantom and all the supporting writers! Felt a tiny bit guilty from dropping out of the writing duties this years but thankfully there were good people willing to step in and the AC was no worse without me.
Old 08-22-2011, 04:58 AM   #408
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Shield

Congratulations Gwath!

And a big thanks to phantom and the team for their efforts.

Thanks also to Nilp for the kind words! Third is my best ever placing. But can the Blellums continue their upward momentum? Looking forward to next year already.
Old 08-23-2011, 03:28 PM   #409
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

So, I received a voicemail on my phone yesterday from Sally. First, you need to know that I can never ever understand her on the phone. There's some combination of the way she holds her phone and her pitch and the way my speaker is that makes her literally sound like one of the adults from a Charlie Brown movie ("wah wah wah wah").

So when I was done with work I called her back to have her clarify her voicemail.

Me: "I got your message. Did you say- 'my only goal next year is to beat no one' or 'my only goal next year is to beat Nerwen'?"

Sally: "N----n, I said n-----n!"

Me: "Why Nerwen?"

Sally: "No! With an 'L'! Gwath!"

Me: "Oh! NOLAN."

Sally: "Yes!"

Me: "Not an easy task."

Sally: "I'm going to do it."

Me: "I suppose you could copy all of his predictions and then try your hardest to beat him in the very first set of games, and if you're up by so much as a point after the first round just copy everything he does after that."

Sally: "Ooo, ha ha ha!!"

So beware, Gwath- everyone will be out to get you!
Old 08-23-2011, 04:27 PM   #410
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Or maybe I'll copy everything SHE does! So there.
Old 08-23-2011, 04:49 PM   #411
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwathagor View Post
Everything depends on who posts first.
Old 08-23-2011, 04:53 PM   #412
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Looks like we got ourselves an 11 month Mexican stand-off.
Old 08-23-2011, 05:10 PM   #413
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwathagor View Post
I'd advise against it.
satansaloser2005 is offline   Reply With Quote