The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-09-2003, 02:55 PM   #41
Skippy of Motsanu

Sting

I would have to say Elves. There is just something mystical about them, something hard to explain.
Old 02-10-2003, 02:20 PM   #42
Inderjit Sanghera
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Inderjit Sanghera has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I prefer Elves over Hobbits, though both have their qualities. I like Hobbits better then the Nandor or Vanyar, though. Though the Noldor are my favourite race in M-E.

"Life is so beautiful"->Don Vito Corleone
Inderjit Sanghera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 02:29 PM   #43
Peri
Wight

Peri has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The elves have always been my favourite. They're brave, wise, graceful, light-footed and beautiful. I like all of the races though. They all play a very important role in JRRT's books.
Old 02-10-2003, 08:32 PM   #44
Aduyuldaiel-MirkwoodPrincess
Haunting Spirit

Aduyuldaiel-MirkwoodPrincess has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Aduyuldaiel-MirkwoodPrincess
Eye

Howdy Merry,
My fav. race would definately be elves! *NO questions asked!* I mean for 1: they are immortal (how cool would it be to live forever) 2. They are tall and graceful (like me...well the tall part anyway. [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img] )and 3. Trees are so for me. I love the woods and all that elf stuff. 2nd, i guess i like hobbits. Im prolly more like hobbits though...mainly for all the eating that they do [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 02-10-2003, 09:06 PM   #45
elven maiden Earwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

elven maiden Earwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to elven maiden Earwen
Sting

elves they are bueatiful and graceful and everlasting and so on elves are the best
but hobbbits and nazgul are way cool 2! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

[ February 10, 2003: Message edited by: elven maiden Earwen ]
elven maiden Earwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 09:27 PM   #46
Eressië Ailin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eressië Ailin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Eressië Ailin
Question

I don't know who I like the best, but here's my list in no specific order.

Hobbits~ They're all so peaceful and hungry, but I like the Tooks the best!

Men~ Mainly the Numeareans(?) Because they're Elf-friends and the rest of the Men are so power-hungry and all!

Elves~ The Elves are always so calm and serene, but they're also strong.

Ents~ As they would say, Ents are not, hoom, hasty folk. But when they're threatened, they take action!

Nazgul~ I think I like the Nazgul the most. I mean, they're neither living or dead, and they have this ability to make most everyone so scared. They are sooo cool!! [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img] [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]
Eressië Ailin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2003, 10:15 PM   #47
Tate Aisling
Pile O'Bones

Tate Aisling has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

*waves* Hullo! Name's Tate Aisling! Pleasure!

Anyhoo, my favorite race would be Hobbits. Hands down. I mean, come on! They're like little kids! Well, they're innocent like little kids anyways. And they're squishibly adorable! *squishes* I like elves just fine. In fact, they tie with Hobbits for my favorite race. I can't decide! GAH!BRAIN...CAN'T...HANDLE...FRUSTRATION!! *dies* =x.X=;;

[ February 13, 2003: Message edited by: Tate Aisling ]
Tate Aisling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2003, 11:22 AM   #48
Aragorn2002
Haunting Spirit

Aragorn2002 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Aragorn2002
Definatly Elves over hobbits.
________
NO2 VAPORIZERS

Last edited by Aragorn2002; 04-15-2011 at 03:11 AM.
Aragorn2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2003, 06:58 PM   #49
Demloth of Dol Amroth
Wight

Demloth of Dol Amroth has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

i like elves the most, though i am a hobbit-dwarf (the only one i've seen so far.). i also agree that nazgul are cool. i despise orcs though-ugly stupid things. with elves immortality though-y'know, because we humans are afraid of death, then of course the knee-jerk response would be to think immortality was cool, but imagine being an elf whose friends had all been gradually slain? immortality wouldn't seem so hot then.
Old 02-15-2003, 07:45 PM   #50
Dain
Wight

Dain has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Dwarves, of course. I mean, I'll admit that elves are pretty cool sometimes, and Hobbits are fun--ah for the care-free and rustic life of a Hobbit--but in the end, the Dwarves are the best. You get to be grumpy, you don't have to put up with living forever and you get a huge beard. And the thing with Dwarf women is, you love them for their personality... [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 02-15-2003, 08:36 PM   #51
Layoin-Greenleaf

Sting

i would have to say ELVES! i think there way better then antthing elch in the movie. there just so...... i dont know how to say it but there better.
Old 02-16-2003, 11:14 AM   #52
avarrogion
Wight

avarrogion has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to avarrogion
The Eye

Well i would definately choose the elves....
Old 02-16-2003, 11:28 AM   #53
dragoneyes
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

dragoneyes has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I can't decide between Men, Hobbits and Ents, bit of a wide range there. Ents are great to just talk to, and then when they're roused, wow! Men are nice ordinary people just like me, I'd fit in well with them. Hobbits are (or at least seem) so innocent and sweet! How can I possibly choose?
Old 02-17-2003, 09:04 AM   #54
Lady Iverin
Haunting Spirit

Lady Iverin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I don't want to offend any hobbits but elves are much cooler. I mean they have powers and they're good-looking, and they're immortal. I admit they can be mean and stuck up sometimes, some races are better than others. Hobbits are cute and everything but they're way too hairy. Sorry Merry! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

[ February 17, 2003: Message edited by: Lady Iverin ]
Lady Iverin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2003, 09:13 AM   #55
lathspell
Regenerating Ringkeeper

lathspell has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Definitely Hobbits. They will always surprise you as an elf won't.
'Yes, I, Gandalf the Grey,' said the wizard solemnly. 'There are many powers in the world, for good or for evil. Some are greater than I am. Against some I have not yet been measured. But my time is coming.'
lathspell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2003, 04:43 PM   #56
Demloth of Dol Amroth
Wight

Demloth of Dol Amroth has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

i must stick up for my dwarven ancestry and say dwarves had special powers too! they were resistant to the powers of the Dwarven Rings inasmuch as they didn't get corrupted, just super-greedy, and they built powerful fortresses that were near-insurmountable to assault from without. with moria, it was assault from within that killed them.
Old 02-18-2003, 05:38 PM   #57
propagandalf
Animated Skeleton

propagandalf has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

I took this question very seriously. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

MY answer is- hobbits. As a matter of fact, I would like to be a hobbit. Simply because they are the happiest folks in Middle-earth. Sure, elves are beautiful and long-lasting, and wizards are wise but who cares about those things when you can be blissfully happy your entire life? No one can knock a hobbit down. They can undergo trauma and torture and still come out on top. Very resilient, they are. They may be very very small in stature but their capacity for happiness is immense. And that is something to be desired, in my opinion. Excessive happiness- that is their biggest weapon. For who can harm or mock you when you are very very happy?… really?
Old 02-18-2003, 07:16 PM   #58
Konarmi
Pile O'Bones

Konarmi has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Elves - the idea of immortality is very appealing. The fact that your labeled the "hot" race doesn't sway my opinion in any way. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Hobbits are a great race too... eating 24/7 is also very appealing.... but I think I'll stick with; Elves as my answer.

[ February 18, 2003: Message edited by: Konarmi ]
Konarmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2003, 07:27 PM   #59
Faenaduial
Wight

Faenaduial has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

An elf because they are so in touch with nature and enjoy music and poetry besides.
Old 02-18-2003, 07:32 PM   #60
avarrogion
Wight

avarrogion has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to avarrogion
The Eye

A strange thought came to my head. Well there are like many types of elves from different places right? Well i was thinking about Dark elves...do they exist?
Old 09-20-2003, 03:59 PM   #61
Estanesse
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Estanesse has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Yes dark elves exist but they are not dark. They are called dark elves or Avari because they refused to go to Valinor were the light of the two trees were.

I like hobbits more because you can throw them more easily. [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]
Old 09-20-2003, 05:00 PM   #62
Maikadurwen
Wight

Maikadurwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Maikadurwen Send a message via MSN to Maikadurwen Send a message via Yahoo to Maikadurwen
Tolkien

hands down hobbits would win. i mean if you were and elf you would have to watch your friends die (if you have non-elven friends)and whole races of people collapse into absolutly nothing.but the hobbits are merry and have good taste in food (ha ha ha)and short is good dwarves are okay but i couldnt stand the beard
humans boring i mean a bunch of the population of the earth is populated with people who are easily corrupted foolish people

so any way hobbits rock(i know they rock because i am a hobbit short and the whole nine yards) [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 09-20-2003, 08:38 PM   #63
barandilwen
Animated Skeleton

barandilwen has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

i love hobbits!!! they're really cute and funny, if you know what i mean, but there is also this something about elves that i like. they're mysterious and magical that makes them special and different. i also love nazguls [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 09-20-2003, 08:53 PM   #64
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Samwise has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Samwise
Thumbs up

Like the original poster on this thread, Hobbits. Of course, I am very fond of my dear Sam mostly, but...the simpleness of the Hobbit lifestyle sounds nice. No insane rushrush of the workplace, lovely landscape...and if you're a little tubby no one cares! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Second would be Elves,(a la Mirkwood) I suppose. I enjoy the woods very much (was there yesterday), and I like the idea of living in a tree! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Giving thanks unto the Father...In whom we have redemption through His blood, even the forgiveness of sins.~Colossians1:12a,14
I am Samwise son of Hamfast, if by hoe or trowel I can get these weeds out of your garden, I will.You have my shears!;)
Samwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2003, 10:38 PM   #65
Amarantha_Daisy
Wight

Amarantha_Daisy has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Hobbits! I'm a hobbit person [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] They're just so happy and cute and loveable... They're like...never sad or depressed. (Frodo doesn't count! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] ) They're always laughing and having fun. That's my kinda life.
Old 09-21-2003, 03:49 AM   #66
Ophelia
Wight

Ophelia has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

My choice ofcourse goes to the Hobbits if you haven't allready noticed in one of many alike questions . But this is great - I can repeat it again and again [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] I mean how can you not like a hobbit? [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 09-22-2003, 05:57 PM   #67
Ainaserkewen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ainaserkewen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Ainaserkewen
Sting

I read a fanfic like this once, the fellowship all gathered round and discussed who was the prettiest.
3 votes for Frodo
3 votes for Legolas
2 undecides(Frodo and Legolas of course)
1 "Leave me alone, stop pressuring me." responce from Aragorn.

Personally, I love them both(Frodo is prettier than Legolas though, at least in the movies. I imagine it's the other way round with the books)
Hobbits are like stuffed animals and Elves are like trophies.
You want to own lots of both!
[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

[ September 22, 2003: Message edited by: Ainaserkewen ]
chicken again tomorrow? Why am I
always eating chicken?
Ainaserkewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2003, 01:53 AM   #68
fairykisses

Silmaril

Definately a hobbit! as a hobbit, you don't have the worries of the world loaded on you (unless you are frodo, sam, merry or pippin). hobbits are way more fun [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] but not as prettyful or magical [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
Old 09-27-2003, 11:22 AM   #69
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Location: an uncounted length of steps--floating between air molecules
Lyta_Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think it would be fair to say both hobbits and elves, for their different character aspect focus. Hobbits for the earthy harmony and elves for the spiritual harmony they display. I think, though, if I were a hobbit, I would have to be Tookish, for I could not settle into routine without a fight! I always admired the tendency of the Tooks to be self-sufficient and sort of apart from the silliness that went on in the main Hobbit culture. (And I'd probably follow Pippin around everywhere, getting into lots of trouble!) [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

And were I an Elf, I couldn't decide which group I'd be! Probably Noldor or Sindar, though, since I couldn't stay put in Aman for too long! Let's face it; I'd probably follow Maedhros or Finrod around everywhere...could be hazardous to my health to be around Elves in the First Age... [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] Just as well it is the Seventh Age, or some such thing, and I just speculate on it!

Cheers,
Lyta
“…she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.”
Lyta_Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2003, 01:39 PM   #70
Jack
Haunting Spirit

Jack has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Now for the record Tenduriel ("i wonder if there's someone who'd like to be an orc?") my reviewing name is hobbit eater Waztogo! (apologize Merry) But I have to say men are my favorites (Jack the man?!?!?!). Elves are good, hobbits rock *cough, cough, hobbit eater, cough cough*. Dwarves make me sneaze *cough, cough, Gimli, cough cough*. Nazgul ROCK!!!! (Jack the Nazgul?!?!).
Old 09-30-2003, 02:36 PM   #71
Niluial
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Niluial has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Niluial Send a message via MSN to Niluial
Sting

I like Light Elves best. They are called Light Elves best for they shine in both body and spirit and they are the fairest within the Circles of the World. And of course I love all the races!

~ Niluial
Niluial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2003, 04:58 PM   #72
Arwen1858
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen1858 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arwen1858
Silmaril

While I like the hobbits a lot, I really love the elves! They're graceful, love nature, they have bows and arrows, and many other things!
Arwen
Old 09-30-2003, 05:02 PM   #73
Angadraug
Animated Skeleton

Angadraug has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

Hobbits definitly. I'd give up everything to live in Hobbiton with the rest of them. I love their simple life and everything they do. And Hobbit-holes, I mean come on, those are the coolest houses ever. I plan on building one in the future.
Angadraug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2003, 01:18 PM   #74
kittygirl02
Haunting Spirit

kittygirl02 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to kittygirl02
Sting

Hobbits are my favorites. I actually want to marry the person who started thsi topic.(Merry Bradybuck) [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

I may be different, but differences don't make you special.It's what you do with your differences that make you special.
kittygirl02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2003, 02:26 PM   #75
ArathorofBarahir
Wight

ArathorofBarahir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

By far my favorite race in Middle Earth are Hobbits. They live a peaceful life in one of the most beautiful places ever, the Shire. Their days and their lives revolve around eating and drinking, so thats the life for me.
Old 11-28-2004, 08:52 AM   #76
Amrod the Hunter
Haunting Spirit

Amrod the Hunter has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Amrod the Hunter
Pipe

It changes every time I read the book.Elves are noble,wise and beautiful and Hobbits are just like children.In most RPGs I play hobbit because it's entertaining,but sometimes I like elves more because they are so wise and mystical.
Amrod the Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 12:13 AM   #77
Lolidir
Wight

Lolidir has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Lolidir
Eye

hey there.

i find that every one puts a lot of thought into this question and i can see that, but for me i think that this is an easy question.

i would definitly say i would be and elf. yep. no doubt about it. i mean i live for ever, can see things far away, can shoot thing far away (not to mention have a never ending quiverful of arrows like Legolas in the movies ), hack things to pieces, as well as being renowned for my wisdom, and way with nature, stuff like that.

so there you have it. another one for the elves. some one should take a tally and see whos is winning in this "race" race. wow that was really...corny... o well some may think it funny.
Old 01-12-2005, 03:33 PM   #78
Linnahiril Tinnufinwen
Haunting Spirit

Linnahiril Tinnufinwen has just left Hobbiton.
Desipite my user name, Hobbits are my favorite race. They are wonderfully happy and simple. I am most definitetly a Hobbit. I'm short with curly hair. I love to eat, and I have a large extended family who also loves to eat. I flatter myself that I am a happy, simple person myself. I even live in a valley with lots of green hills, and have lived here almost my whole life.
Granted, I do have a bit of Elvishness in me at times, and I love "Elvish" like music (hense the name) and language, but Hobbits are still my favorite.
Old 01-15-2005, 04:09 AM   #79
orlandoscowgal

the elves have grace which hobbits do not seem to possess. i therefore choose the elves, but also because the female elves are ice maidens. and the males are just plain hot! lol.
Old 01-15-2005, 05:39 PM   #80
Morquen
Pile O'Bones

Location: in Mordor... my wraith boy friend pushed me off his flying steed while flying over our home land... curse him!!
Morquen has just left Hobbiton.
Dark-Eye

OHHH!! I totally agree with Orlandoscowgal!!! Anyway, elves have little blue auras and they shine! elves are tall so i am not taller than the males and they have such a captivating culture. Another pro is that they're immortal. That's always good... except for the fact that they can die in battle... making it a bigger loss since elves aren't supposed to die.....
Anyway, elves can sing way better than hobbits can... or at least better than Samwise... Elves are also not chubby or fat like hobbits, they are always (or should be..) very fit... Elves are also more aware of the world and have more knowledge (that goes past family trees!) and they also can forsake immortality...which i think is really sad...
Oh yeah!!! they are also the only (with a few exceptions...) race that can leave to go to the undying lands!!