The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-31-2005, 02:40 PM   #1
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye Favorite Chapter of Lord of the Rings

We have a thread called Parts We Skip and Why where we state which chapters/parts we skip, so I thought we should have a thread that asks which chapters we read again and again.

Don't be afraid to give several answers, and please- give a reason why! This thread is not intended to be a mere poll.

As we make our way through Lord of the Rings in the Chapter-by-Chapter read through, be sure to come to this thread and post if the current chapter is one of your favorites. You'd be surprised how easy it is to forget one of your favorite parts until you find it again.

And yes, there are probably several of these threads already in existence (I found one or two extremely old ones), but I thought that it would be nice to start a new one.

I will get the ball rolling with a list of chapters that I love.

FOTR I, 1 A Long-Expected Party- Why do I love this chapter? Because hobbits are hilarious. The party always makes me smile.

FOTR I, 2 The Shadow of the Past- This chapter injects the story with some darkness and seriousness. It really drew me the first time I read it.

FOTR I, 10 Strider- This is without a doubt one of my favorite chapters. The introduction of Strider really seems to make the story grow into a more grand adventure. I absolutely love the way Strider introduces himself to Frodo. Their conversations are outstanding. I love reading this chapter.

FOTR I, 11 & 12 A Knife in the Dark, Flight to the Ford- I sort of see these two excellent chapters as a continuation of chapter ten.

FOTR II, 2 The Council of Elrond- There's not much action in this chapter, but I love Tolkien's dialogue. This chapter is heavy on exposition, and at this point in the story the reader is likely anxious to learn the things that are revealed in this chapter.

FOTR II, 4 & 5 A Journey in the Dark, The Bridge of Khazad-dum- I fell in love with these chapters the first time I read them. Tolkien's description of the Fellowship's journey through Moria made me wish that Moria was a real place that I could visit. I also love the encounter with Durin's Bane. Gandalf's account to the Fellowship about his first encounter (at the shut door) with the Balrog is very gripping, and filled me with unbearable anxiety the first time I read it. I remember asking, "What in the world was that thing at the door?!"

TTT I, 1 The Departure of Boromir- This chapter really left my head spinning. Boromir is slain, Merry and Pippin get captured, and Aragorn decides to let Frodo go on his own. What reader wasn't in shock the first time they read this chapter?

TTT I, 10 The Voice of Saruman- I love the confrontation between Gandalf and Saruman.

TTT II, 4 & 5 & 6 Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit, The Window on the West, The Forbidden Pool- For some reason, the first three chapters that follow Frodo and Sam seem a bit laborious to me. Perhaps Tolkien intended it, since the two hobbits were moving through barren, evil lands, with only one twisted (and rather annoying) companion to interact with. In the fourth chapter, the hobbits move into more pleasant lands, and encounter Faramir and his men. I love these chapters because I love Frodo and Sam's interaction with Faramir, much as I loved their interaction with Aragorn in FOTR, chapter 10. Faramir's words are firm, kind, fair, shrewd, and pretty much everything that words should be. He really does remind me of Aragorn. I love most every scene where one of them is speaking.

TTT II, 10 The Choices of Master Samwise- This chapter is a blow to the head. After reading this chapter, I sat and wondered how things could possibly get resolved. The thought actually entered my mind that this story would be some sort of tragedy, where the heroes die bravely but do not triumph.

ROTK I, 4 & 5 & 6 The Siege of Gondor, The Ride of the Rohirrim, The Battle of the Pelennor Fields- I doubt there is anyone who does not consider at least one of these chapters to be among their favorites. I remember gasping with joy when I read the final sentence of chapter four, "Rohan had come at last." Rohan's ride to the defense of Minas Tirith is definitely one of bits I love the most in LOTR- and Aragorn's unexpected arrival is the icing on the cake.

ROTK I, 8 The Houses of Healing- There are a lot of things that I enjoy in this chapter- Faramir's first encounter with the King whom he immediately knows, Ioreth's tongue wagging, Aragorn and Gandalf's expressed annoyance with her, and Aragorn's words with the hobbits.

There! That's my list of favorite chapters. As the Chapter-by-Chapter moves along though, I might just add a couple to the list.
Old 03-31-2005, 03:12 PM   #2
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
White Tree

[B]I wouldn't mind talking about some discussing about some of my favorite chapters...

FOTR: The Council of Elrond- The dialogue in this chapter is great, it also holds one of my favorite passages. Gandalf explaining his meeting with Saruman. I find Saruman an intriguing character, and any chapter with Saruman i find interesting. with a lot more depth then what some people think. He defies The good peoples of Middle-earth, while he secretly plans to figuratively stab Sauron in the back.

Lothlorien: This is a chapter I've been interested in for a few days now, with the thread "Galadriel's Intentions." I read a good post on another forum, that got me thinking about what Galadriel was trying to do when she offered each one of the Fellowship members the easy way out.

TTT: Really any chapter with Eomer and Theoden. I love these two characters, and I especially love The King of the Golden Hall.

The Window in the West is another good chapter. I think it holds a lot of suspense, you have Boromir's brother here, who is being kind to The Hobbits, yet in the back of your mind you're thinking...."I know he's going to take the ring. I just know it." Then Wham! "I wouldn't pick it up if Minas Tirith was burning to the ground."

Edit: I forgot to include the Voice of Saruman. The second encounter between Saruman and Gandalf, this time Gandalf wins out. I just love how you have all the Rohirrim guys are cheering, and applauding Saruman, then Theoden just denies him. Then Saruman's true self is revealed, and the spell on whoever was under it, was broken.

ROTK: Pelennor Fields- I just enjoy the battle, and it holds one of the most memorable scenes in my mind. When Aragorn and Eomer meet up in the midst of battle, "Let this be the hour, when we draw swords together." (Oh yeah, not to mention the defeat of the WK).
Old 03-31-2005, 04:05 PM   #3
Gil-Galad
Psyche of Prince Immortal

Location: Above a Parapet Obvious exits are: North, South, and Dennis
Gil-Galad has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via MSN to Gil-Galad
my absolute favourite is of course the same ones you stated Phantom

ROTK I, 4 & 5 & 6 The Siege of Gondor, The Ride of the Rohirrim, The Battle of the Pelennor Fields

even though i also really like the Appendices...(history geek)
Old 03-31-2005, 05:02 PM   #4
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via MSN to THE Ka
I love the chapter when Treebeard comes into the story. Especially because in the earlier chapters you hear some remarks towards ents, but little else. It is always facinating when a new character comes into the story. Specifically talking trees.

I really didn't find The Departure of Boromir that shocking, I had some idea that he was going to end up being killed, but not where. I really thought he was going to die while on the river. That one part of the chapter on the river when he was described bitting his nails and slighty shaking while Merry and Pippin were becoming frightened by his nature and if he was going to end up drowning themselves, that was when I really thought he was going to end up paddle them off the falls...

~ Ka
THE Ka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 04:32 AM   #5
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Tolkien

There are a good many chapters that I continuously come back to and re-read. They each have different reasons for this, as ye shall see.

From the Fellowship of the ring;

The Bridge of Kazad-dum.
I enjoy this chapter above all; I was tempted to put "A journey in the Dark" for a similar reason. I love the way Tolkien describes the dwarven architecture and I also like the scene in Balin's tomb. There are many mysteries revealed in this chapter, including the Balrogs and their debatable wings. Also there is the creature which Galdalf battles at the Door to Balin's tomb. I always previously assumed this to be the Balrog, but recently I have not been so sure, it has caused me to rethink a lot of my own theories about Moria and its inhabitants.
But mainly, I enjoy Gandalf’s battle with the Balrog and his subsequent departure from the story (albeit temporary one).

From The Two Towers

Flotsam and Jetsam.

I like this chapter because it’s full of jolly humour, mainly from Merry and Pippin. I just like the blatant view of how Hobbits can sit in the middle ruin and simply discuss the matters of the table and the small doings of relatives. I also like the description of the Ent's march on Isenguard as well as the confrontation with Saruman and Gandalf's concerns about what power he still holds.

Shelob's lair

I absolute favourite Chapter in The Two towers. It was a bit belated in its coming, but in ever re-read, it has kept me going through the otherwise rather dull, Frodo and Sam chapters. I love the since of mystery and the atmosphere Tolkien creates in this chapter, the use of Galadriel's pile to help beat Shelob and of course, the fulfilment of what Sam saw in the mirror. The end of the book was flawlessly written, "Frodo was alive, but taken by the enemy" Defiantly makes you want to read on.

From The Return of the King

Minas Tirith.
This chapter is a favourite of mine because it was the first bit of the Lord of the rings that I ever read. Foolish I know, but it was impossible to get hold of the other volumes at the time, but friends had told me all I needed to know. I like the use of Pippin in this chapter, he is (quite amusingly) the ignorant party, and so is almost Tolkien's way of introducing the realm of Gondor and its law to the reader by use of Pippin. Rather than go into any deep description of everything that many readers may find dull and monotonous, he uses Pippin's asking questions to aid instead.

Mount Doom.
The climax of the series. The first time I read this I was quite shocked at a couple of the things that happened. I did not see it coming when Gollum bit off Frodo's finger, however, the dancing of the end was a little predictable, but not unamusing. Frodo's final surrender to the Power of the ring and I can only imagine Sauron's reaction when re realised someone had his ring and was in Mount doom. I also like the final paragraph in this chapter where Frodo and Sam are convinced that they have come to their end... but maybe not...

I'll probably think of more, but those are my favourites.
Old 04-02-2005, 08:39 AM   #6
Hot, crispy nice hobbit
Wight

Hot, crispy nice hobbit has just left Hobbiton.
Of Hobbits and Merry fellows

I realised that the first few chapters of LOTR was not really that well liked... But if I am to right about my favorite chapters... I would probably be writing a chapter-by-chapter book review.

Never mind, lets git to it!

The Fellowship of the Ring
1. A Long-expected Party
Now this is one of my favorites because it linked back to the entire Erebor quest episode. I was really glad to read of Bilbo in his retirement, pestered by relatives. This chapter first formed the enchanting country-side image of the Shire which I was so desolated to read of in the last few chapters in the Return of the King.

2. The shadow of the past
This described in detail what had happened in the past that would lead to the coming events. It was a clear and concise describtion with an undertone of suspence and foreboding... one that I enjoyed.

3. Three is Company
I continued to enjoy the country-side description from this chapter, even as the suspense build up. Moreover, this chapter first introduces me to the demeanor of Elves defering from The Hobbit. First impression are lasting ones though.

4. A short cut to mushrooms
The suspense build up is much steeper now... But I seemed to have derived some plain hobbit-sense by then to realise that the journey is not even begun.

5. A conspiracy unmasked
Bathsong remains to this day one of my favorite songs... Moreover, this is more interesting than Bilbo's departure from the Shire in The Hobbit.

6. The Old Forest
This is one of the most exciting chapters in the beginning... though it would soon be dwarfed by later chapters... Nevertheless I am extremely tickled at the appearance of the Merry Fellow.

7. In the House of Tom Bombadil
Of course anything regarding that oversized hobbit with yellow boots are of interest to me. I read on with delight as Tom demonstrated his antiques.

8. Fog on the Barrow-downs
More suspense still... Highly interesting tomb-raiding by our happy foursome... I particularly enjoyed the part where Tom shooed away the wight in such a ridiculous fashion.

9. At the sign of the Prancing Pony
Inns are, as a rule, interesting places... I certainly anticipated much in this chapter, but was mildly disappointed when it did not lead to more revelation.

To be continued....
Old 04-02-2005, 01:43 PM   #7
Lathriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Wandering through Middle-Earth (Sadly in Alberta and not ME)
Lathriel has just left Hobbiton.
Of course I like A long expected party The hobbits are just so amusing.

I also like Three is company because the story finally really gets going. We ahve the first appearance of the evil guys so now the story is really going. It has been set up with the chapter before and now things are going in motion.

A conspiracy unmasked is so sweet. I always seem to forget about this chapter but when I come to it I always think to myself, "Oh yes, I love this chapter."Plus this chapter also foreshadows the grey havens in the form of the dream that Frodo gets.

I like the old forest because of the mystery around it.Although I love Tom Bombadil I sometimes get a little impatient in the next chapter.

Strider because this chapter introduces one of my favourite characters Aragorn!

A Knife in the dark because it still has some humour in it. "What do they live on when they can't get hobbit." (Sam referring to the midges) I also like it that this chapter briefly brings us back to the Shire because after we don't hear anything about it till ROTK.

I like Many Meetings even of its just because of the beginning."Where a I and what is the time?" Frodo (Well you guys know the rest) The council of Elrond is a chapter that I like on and of.

The Ring goes South is a neat chapter because you have been introduced to new characters and in this chapter you learn a bit more about them.

Journey in the dark is neat because you are introduced to yet another culture. Although you learn a lot about dwarves in the Hobbit you now learn about the very center of their culture.

Lothlorien is also a good chapter because as in Journey in the dark you learn more about the cultures in ME.

The great river has its neat moments plus the probelm of Gollum.
And that is just FOTR. I guess I'll post more later.
Old 04-08-2005, 08:39 PM   #8
WarBringer
Wight

WarBringer has just left Hobbiton.
My favorite chapters are both from The Fellowship:

Strider- The meeting with Strider/Aragorn is by far my most memorable moment of the LOTR series. I remember thinking to myself-"This guy might be trouble", and I even worried that he would result in the death of one of the characters, or lead the hobbits astray and/or slaughter them. Tolkein's description is flawless, and few chapters have ever transported me to a place better than "Strider"

The Bridge of Khazad-Dum- Who among us can resist the allure of the herioc last stand against pure evil? The defeat of a host of goblins by a handful of brave warriors, The flight of the Fellowship, chased all the while by the goblins and one of the most evil beings of all time, and of course, Gandalf turning alone, leaning upon his staff in weariness, knowing that his doom (or his blessing?) is before him.

To me, these chapters are Tolkein's greatest achievment in the trilogy.
Old 04-09-2005, 07:49 AM   #9
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Shield

I love A Long Expected Party. It's just Hobbits, being Hobbits before evil touches their borders.

From TTT my favorite chapter is The King in the Golden Hall. It's the introduction of King Theoden who is one of my favorite characters. It is also the chapter where Gandalf heals him from Saruman's spell.

In ROTK it's The Grey Havens. I'm reduced to tears in this chapter. It's finally over and Frodo leaves Middle Earth with Gandalf. Also Frodo finally must leave Sam and it's both a sweet parting and a sad one. Then Sam returns home and the book ends with "Well, I'm back."
Old 04-09-2005, 09:03 AM   #10
Tuor of Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Pennsylvania, WtR, passed Sarn Gebir: Above the rapids (1239 miles) BtR, passed Black Rider Stopping Place (31 miles)
Tuor of Gondolin has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Joining this, since I've always viewed several
chapters as especially crucial and/or absorbing:

The Shadow Of The Past and
The Council Of Elrond
Perhaps as a former history major, I see these
two chapters as crucial "grabbers" for a reader.
Either they draw you into the story and world,
or, like several relatives of mine who like scifi,
they lose interest.

For a particular personal reason, Flight To The Ford
Until this chapter, and even after first reading The Hobbit,
I believe I still imagined elves as leprechaunish little people until this passage:
Quote:
"You shall ride my horse," said Glorfindel, "I will shorten the stirrups up to the saddle-skirts, and you must sit as tight as you can. But you need not fear: my horse will not let any rider fall that I command him to bear."
Upon reading this I believe my reasoning went: since hobbits are half the size of men, and Glorfindel has to shorten the stirrups for Frodo to ride, therefore elves must approximate men in size. (quite a revelation, and as the tale went on, made
Tolkien's concept of elves far more interesting and complex then the traditional one. (Personally, I tend to think of men and elves [in American football terms]
with elves more as wide recievers in build and men as fullbacks).

And perhaps the best chapter: The Ride Of The Rohirrim
with the marvelous prose poetry of the last two pages of the chapter, which
demand to be read aloud, at least from the part beginning:
Quote:
Now silently the host of Rohan moved forward into the field of Gondor, pouring in slowly and steadily, like the rising tide through breaches in a dike that men have thought secure.
And it's why I find PJs movie
depiction of the charge as more flawed then most (especially it not beginning
in dark and stealthily).
Old 04-09-2005, 10:21 AM   #11
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Well, to be honest, I'm hard-pressed to say that there are chapters of the LotR that I DIS-like, but now that I get to thinking about it, there are certainly chapters that I like more/less than others. So, for a book-by-book discourse:

Book I

Strider Book I is probably my overall favourite, chapter-wise. I love the strong hobbitocentricity (to coin a term) of the chapters. The journey feels faster-paced than it later becomes, and there is still a lot of poetry floating around. It's very hard for me to pick a favourite from this book, since I love ALL the chapters, but I would have to say that of the three parts of this book: the Shire, Bombadil, and the East Road, I like the East Road part best. The frivolous tone that crept into the earlier chapters here and there is gone, and it introduces us to Strider. Really, its something of a cointoss between Strider and At the Sign of the Prancing Pony for favourite chapter, but Strider wins out for dialogue. As a reader who knows the story so well, much of my reading enjoyment now comes from reading out loud, hence the dialogue parts attract me more. Also, this chapter, in addition to great dialogue, contains Gandalf's letter. I can't say why, because I don't know, but that letter is one of my favourite parts of the LotR.

Book II

Many Meetings Book II is easier to pick from than Book I. Book II has several great chapters, but it also has several that I can easily discard from the race, even though they may have individual passages that I really like. Many Meetings wins hands down. After the darkness of the latter half of Book I, it comes as a merry respite. And indeed, the whole chapter is just about Frodo having a good time in Rivendell. Once again, this is a Chapter with a lot of great dialogue (the Frodo and Gandalf exchange at its beginning being perhaps the most memorable). It also stars several of my favourite characters prominently: Gandalf, Elrond, Bilbo, Aragorn. And then there's "Earendil was a mariner...", which is my favourite piece of poetry in the entire LotR.

Book III

The Voice of Saruman If Book I was hard to pick from, this was excruciating. Book III might well have the most really good chapters of any of the books, at least from my point of view. Although I don't care too much for some, there are quite a few that I love: The Departure of Boromir, Treebeard, The King of the Golden Hall, The Palantir, and, of course, The Voice of Saruman. These are all great chapters, and I wish that they each had their own books, so that I could nominate them, but I can't. Once again, the choice comes down to dialogue, with Saruman's awesome speeches taking the gold medal. I love the speeches in this chapter, and Gandalf's victory over Saruman is one of the most vivid images I have of the whole book.

Book IV

The Choices of Master Samwise I always find Book IV hard to get into. I just doesn't hold my attention as well as the others. It generally takes me until the Black Gate to get into it, and I enjoy Ithilien, but it does not have quite the same level of enjoyment as the other books. Post-Faramir Book IV is both my least favourite part of the LotR and some of the best. Journey to the Cross-roads is probably my least favourite chapter in the entire LotR. However, once that is passed, my interest level begins to rise, finally climbing above Book III levels, and into The Choices of Master Samwise. This is a great chapter, with the anguish of Sam deciding to leave Frodo, the shock of Frodo being dead, and then the subsequent shock of finding out that he's not. I also love the Shagrat/Gorbag scene: a little bit of fun dialogue.

Book V

The Pyre of Denethor Much like its true companion, Book III, I have a lot of favourites in this book. Minas Tirith does the awesome job of introducing us to Gondor, Denethor, and contains some fun scenes with Pippin and Beregond or Bergil. The imagery of the companies marching into Minas Tirith is among my favourites. The Seige of Gondor is a favourite in much the same way. Quite frankly, I'm a sucker for anything Gondor. And who can deny the grandeur of The Battle of the Pelennor Fields? Howevr, for me it is The Pyre of Denethor that takes the cake. This chapter gives you a personal perspective on the battle, what Pippin was up to. And I LOVE Denethor's empassioned dialogue with Gandalf as he was about to try and kill himself and Faramir. I did it as a monologue several years ago, and I still have an overwhelming fondness for those lines. It's also a chapter of great courage and loyalty (see Beregond and Pippin), but also great sadness. "So passes Denethor, son of Ecthelion, Lord High Steward of Gondor...."

Book VI

The Scouring of the Shire Much of Book VI is rather boring. Not entirely boring, for sure, but boring enough that the rousing adventure of the return of the hobbits to the Shire comes much welcome. Even the last episodes of Frodo and Sam's journey to Orodruin is fraught with a sense of "Almost there, almost there, let's get this over with!" Then we descend through a pile of denouement chapters (which, although they contain some great stuff, are on whole not that lively), until we come back to the Shire. Here, we get to see one last adventure as the hobbits fight the Battle of Bywater, converse with the Cottons (that's Mr. Dialogue speaking), and come to a final confrontation with Saruman outside Bag-End itself, of all places. For a moment, Frodo's pensiveness and gloomy feelings are set aside, and action takes the spotlight with Merry and Pippin in the leading roles. A great chapter, no doubt, and quite possibly my favourite in the entire LotR.
Old 04-11-2005, 12:56 PM   #12
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
My choices are similar to Boromir's only for different reasons in some cases. As a confirmed elf-fancier, Rivendell and Lorien chapters are favourites partly because of the information they provide as well as becasue they provide a respite from the extreme tension of the chapters that precede them.

As for the Window on the West ... well Faramir is just Mr Wonderful isn't he? But having extolled his manifold virtues on the CbC I will restrain myself here ....

A couple of other favourites, not yet mentioned, are "The Last Debate" & "The Steward and the King". These chapters are so rich..

The Last Debate starts with one of those rare passages that show Gimli and Legolas' as more rounded characters. They are representatives of their fading races at a turning point in history - the time of men and their presence is not required at the debate. And for all that it is Gimli that "stalks" and Legolas sings... it is Gimli who is initially the more positive "When Aragorn comes into his own" opposed to Legolas' if....

Then there is the glimpse of the history of the Lords of Dol Amroth - the evident nobility of Imrahil indicating perhaps the effect that an influx of far more noble elven blood will have on the lords of Gondor in the age to come. Then as Gimli, Legolas and Merry and Pippin catch up we get not only the history but further insights in to character and a reminder that the Nine walkers were truly a fellowship. Finally the debate itself which mirrors the council of Elrond (albeit in a rather more macho fashion) as it leads to the inevitable, desperate resolution.

The Steward and the King After all that testosterone ... I have to confess a weakness for soppy films and *snivels into handkerchief* Faramir's wooing of Eowyn is just so beautiful......time halted, hair mingling raven and golden... *gulp*..oh and if that wasn't enough it has the crowning and stuff....

Finally though hit has already been mentioned, the last pages of the "Grey Havens" is just so moving and at times reminds me of Bunyan's bittersweet farewells in "The Pilgrim's Progress" (Mr Standfast " I see myself now at the end of my journey, my toilsome days are ended..." and Mr Valiant-for-truth crossing the river

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 02:33 PM   #13
Keeper of Dol Guldur
Shade of Carn Dûm

Keeper of Dol Guldur has just left Hobbiton.
Re:

It's been a few months since I've read ... so I may be off a bit. And I have to say, I love EVERY chapter.

But;

1. Strider.
Strider gave us the coolest introduction a character has ever gotten. Who is that shady looking fellow in the corner? What, he wants to talk to me?

2. The Council of Elrond.
Council gave us SO MUCH (some would say too much) insight onto what is happening in Middle Earth ... and really gives a lot of backstory to the goings on in Gondor which if you reread you really see adds some great foreshadowing.

3. A Journey in the Dark.
Journey has several things I love. The wolf attack. The Watcher. And Gollum's introduction ... flip flap, flip flap. OH MY GOD EYES! It's great that Legolas knew all along, Aragorn, Gandalf, and Boromir probably knew for nearly as long ... even Gimli probably knew, but none of them told Frodo.

4. The Breaking of the Fellowship.
Breaking is amazing. The Ring in action! Boromir's change is so rapid ... he goes from being fine to being unsure, then in this chapter goes quickly from trying to convince Frodo into trying to steal the Ring, in one paragraph he snaps. Good storytelling. And the banter between Aragorn, Gimli, Legolas and the Hobbits is really good too, talking about which way to go, and why.

5. The Riders of Rohan.
Riders offers some GREAT stuff. First of all, the Hunters get some allies. Second, they get horses, and third, Eomer's relationship with them is PERFECT. Spot on stuff, the questioning of Lothlorien and Galadriel, not getting along with Gimli and Legolas, then being amazed at Aragorn. It also reveals just what is up, in Rohan.

6. The White Rider.
THE RETURN OF GANDALF! I had NO idea what I was in for when I read that ...

7. Helm's Deep.
This chapter isn't that long, doesn't go into great detail about the brutality, and graphic violence of battle ... but it didn't matter. An entire chapter about a siege, and battle, and Aragorn telling off an entire army.

8. Flotsam and Jetsam.
I love the chapters which feature flashbacks ... Merry and Pippin, Aragorn, Gimli and Legolas, smoking and drinking, eating good food, just relaxing, being the Fellowship again, and telling their respective tales. Probably my favorite chapter. It's the big hint that Legolas likes his wine ...

9. The Palantir.
Sauron, Nazgul, and flight to Minas Tirith! But we get a lot of history from Gandalf ... and learn a great deal more ...

10. The Window on the West.
Faramir eats a meal and says grace with the Hobbits, in the middle of the wilds of Ithilien ... then sits them down and they chat. What a nice fellow.

11. Shelob's Lair.
Let's just say if PJ had followed this a little more strictly ... that part of the movie would cause massive hysteria.

12. Minas Tirith.
Pippin, Beregond ... but more importantly, Denethor ... things are starting to pick up. But where is Faramir?

13. The Passing of the Grey Company.
This entire chapter is grey. The imagery ... the mood ... the Dunedain ... it's like a happy meeting that leads to a funeral march. And Aragorn wrests the Palantir from Sauron while Theoden, Legolas, Gimli and Merry worry about him ... good stuff.

14. The Siege of Gondor.
The Witch-King verbally abuses Gandalf ... Grond and a little black Nazgul magic destroy the black gates ... Pelennor burns, heads of the decapitated Osgiliath soldiers are tossed over the walls ... and Faramir is critically wounded. You can't go wrong in a chapter like this.

15. The Houses of Healing.
Hilarity in the middle of the darkest moments ... and Gandalf pretty much announces that he's in charge now. He has Aragorn enter the city, even though Aragorn vowed not to. Eomer and Imrahil have no idea what is up, Theoden is lain before the seat of the King ... and the Healers are clueless compared to Aragorn. The Merry stuff is the best ...

16. The Black Gate Opens.
The Mouth of Sauron ... if only I could kill him, I'd be even with old Merry. Did I just hear something about Eagles?

17. The Field of Cormallen.
The battle is won ... now let's all sit down, sing songs, and listen to the story of Frodo the Nine-Fingered and the Ring of Doom.

18. The Steward and the King.
Eowyn and Faramir got an ENTIRE chapter in the books ... which ended in Aragorn's coronation. Happy times!
"I come from yonder...Have you seen Baggins? Baggins has left, he is coming. He is not far away. I wish to find him. If he passes will you tell me? I will come back with gold." - Khamul the Easterling
Keeper of Dol Guldur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 05:54 PM   #14
Memory of Trees
Haunting Spirit

Location: Here! Over here!!! Behind that rock. Yes, that is I...
Memory of Trees has just left Hobbiton.
A Knife In the Dark. Period. That is probably the coolest chapter... well, ever!!!
Old 04-13-2005, 04:37 AM   #15
Essex
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Essex has just left Hobbiton.
I thought one of my favourite chapters wouldn't get a mention, but respect to Lathriel and the hot, crispy nice hobbit (!) for mentioning it:

The Old Forest

I think this is one of the best (if not the best) written chapters of the whole trilogy.

It takes some concentration to take in EVERY WORD of tolkien's description of the hobbits' journey from crickhowell to tom's house. But it's well worth the work.

I actually feel like I'm with the hobbits on their journey in this chapter, the events are that well explained by Tolkien. I'm with them from the start of their trip in the early dark hours of the morning, through the tunnel into the forest, and I can hear the gate shutting as they go through. Their ominous feelings as they walk through the forest. Their brief happiness as they find the bonfire glade and the hill above it. The feeling of aminosity I get from the forest whilst travelling through it.

The way the forest forces them to turn southwards towards the withywindle and old man willow. The view of the river valley, full of willow trees on the banks, and willow leaves scattered on the river. The feeling of tiredness as old man willow does his work, and Sam's anger towards the tree. I feel Merry and Pippin's hoplesness as they cry telling Sam to stop burning the tree. I pity Frodo's helplesness as he runs off screaming for help. I feel this all.

And finally, of course, we have the arrival of the one and only Tom Bombadil.
Essex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 04:39 AM   #16
Celebuial
Wight

Celebuial has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Celebuial
Well... I can never decide which chapters I like best so I just re-read the whole books over and over. I've read them about 26 times now, but there are always new little details and references to other things that I find each time I read. If only I had a better memory I could recite them at will... I do occasionally just pick up the book and randomly start reading somewhere... but then I tend to read it to the end and then start at the begining and stop when I get to where I started.

I s'pose that if I had to pick some favourites they would have to be:

The Choices of Master Samwise (this makes me cry every time... As soon as I read "Beyond each Tower..." I'm in tears. I think this is one of the most emotional chapters in the book and shows the true 'fabric' of Hobbits.)
The Grey Havens ( Well it's the end... )
A Long Expected party (again prob'ly just because it's the begining)
The Scowering of The Shire (This shows how much the Hobbits have grown and I just love how different they are from the beggining, but without having lost all their best parts)

Ok this is really hard...... I still love them all!!!!
Boe min bango.
Celebuial is offline   Reply With Quote