The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-31-2003, 06:09 AM   #41
Mariska Greenleaf
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mariska Greenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

When I went to see the film for the 5th time, the very last day they showed it, the audience consisted out of 10 people.<BR>Real die hards, which was nice!<BR>But after 45 minutes, the power went off!!<BR>That was horrible, can you imagine that??? Everybody was shocked, and the people from the movie theater said it was a major power breakdown in the city, and it wasn't likely that they could restart the movie... <BR>So, everybody left(with a free drink...), but me and my friend stayed there, waiting and hoping...<BR>And then after about 40 minutes, the film started again!!! <P>For the rest of the movie we were alone, and we cheered, and cried and laughed, it was wonderful
Old 07-31-2003, 08:51 AM   #42
Ophelia
Wight

Ophelia has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Well actually when I went for the first time there were not many people there . And it really is so that people are afraid to express their feelings these days for a "stupid fantasy film" . But sience I have got not much shame , I just did not care of what the other's say about my reactions . But another thing is that it is quite hard to impress me with a film . But anyways the crowd did some of "aaaaaahh...." and "ooooah" but they were not in to it . <BR>The second time I went to see TTT all the cinema was filled with 2 6th or 5th grade classes and if you had just heard how they screamed when the lights went off and waht really buged me off was when on the screen showed a sentence "Turn off your mobile phones" they all started to call one another or play melodies of their mobiles . Fortunatly it all stoped when the film started . And then I was suposed to listen to their stupid and silly replys about the movie (like - "Hay , that's me!" when there was the scene with Galadriel) and , what's worse , to their teacher's yelling that was louder than the kids all together . Well I did not keep my mouth shut and gasped or "accidentaly" said some sarcastic back replys too loud . I had quite a fun but otherwise no Tolkien fan's visited the movies atleast while I was there . <BR>But the president of our country is a Tolkien fan and she went to TTT but she had to go home because all the places were allready taken
Old 07-31-2003, 02:17 PM   #43
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I'm pretty sure other people have probably already reported this, but here goes anyway: Both the 1st & 2nd times I saw FotR in the theater (I can't remember all the other times), the ENTIRE audience erupted in cheers & clapping when Aragorn cut off Lurtz's head near the end of FotR, effectively ending the one-on-one encounter! That was sooo cool (the cheering at least)
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 05:38 PM   #44
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Boots

It is of course a serious crime in the UK (well the south east anyway), punishable by "funny looks" and tut-tutting, to cheer, cry or indeed express any such emotion while in the company of a group of complete strangers.<P>So the only reaction expressed by the audience during any of my viewings of the LotR films has been the occasional ripple of understated laughter.<P>Which is, of course, the way it should be.
Old 07-31-2003, 07:16 PM   #45
Shy Hobbit
Wight

Shy Hobbit has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I came onto the fandom scene a little late, by the time I had made up my mind to go see TTT by myself, it was gone And only the beginning of February, too! So I didn't get to see it till the end of April when I convinced my mom to drive 50 miles to the last theater showing it. The place was empty While I enjoy seeing other people's reactions at movies, I'm glad I got to see it without annoying kids behind me. <P>My first viewing of PoC was a different story, but we won't go into that <p>[ July 31, 2003: Message edited by: Shy Hobbit ]

~The Fellowship of the King~
Shy Hobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2003, 07:06 PM   #46
peonydeepdelver
Shade of Carn Dűm

peonydeepdelver has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to peonydeepdelver
Shield

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> The second time I went to see TTT all the cinema was filled with 2 6th or 5th grade classes and if you had just heard how they screamed when the lights went off and waht really buged me off was when on the screen showed a sentence "Turn off your mobile phones" they all started to call one another or play melodies of their mobiles . <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Since when do kids younger than me get cell phones???
"Nazgul, Nazgul! You speak of what is deep beyond the reach of your muddy dreams, Ugluk! Nazgul! Ah! All that they make out! One day you'll wish that you had not said that. Ape! You ought to know that they're the apple of the Great Eye." ~Grishnakh
peonydeepdelver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2003, 07:11 PM   #47
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Since when do kids younger than me get cell phones???<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Ouch! That's got to hurt. That's also got to be REALLY annoying, luckily I've never had to suffer through that kind of stuff. <BR>P.S. I have a cell phone & I'm 15, hopefully for you that's older than you (but I doubt it, taking into consideration the average age of posters on this site!)<BR> <p>[ August 02, 2003: Message edited by: The Only Real Estel ]
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2003, 04:38 PM   #48
Annúntindomeiel
Pile O'Bones

Annúntindomeiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I got to see the movie at midnight so we had a great audience that was really into the movie. But at the part when Aragorn flies over the cliff I gasped really loud and the people around me started laughing. I was kinda embarassed but it was really funny.
Old 08-06-2003, 08:18 PM   #49
arianrod
Wight

Location: Wandering Hobbiton, smiling at the hobbits & trying to sell them vacuum cleaners
arianrod has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to arianrod
Shield

Each time I've gone to see it, the theater's always been absolutely silent during Sam's monologue at the end. You could hear a pin drop in there.<BR> <BR>The night I went to see it when it just came out, there was a really good fan someone around me who's obviously read the books but hasn't been keeping up with the spoilers online. When the Elves started marching in to Helm's Deep, I could hear her start muttering under her breath. When Theoden said "How is this possible?" (about the arrival of the Elves), she shouted "That's what I want to know!" lol it was great...<p>[ August 06, 2003: Message edited by: arianrod ]
arianrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 10:00 PM   #50
StarJewel
Wight

Location: I'm in my dear Maedhros' arms, dreaming the day away. Oh, who am I kidding, Chicago is nothing like that!
StarJewel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to StarJewel
Silmaril

I went to see TTT twice, once with my parents(first time) and second with my friend. The first time, the theater was strangely deserted, with only a few rabid fans like me around. On the second round, however, it was packed! The audience was really quiet, except for the parts where Legolas jumped onto the horse and where he shield surfed (OK, so I'm a rabid Orli fan, too, I admit it. ). The only real noise maker was that shrieking 3 year old behind me. He didnt shut up for the whole movie .
Old 08-08-2003, 01:49 AM   #51
Beren87
Master of the Secret Fire

Beren87 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Beren87 Send a message via Yahoo to Beren87
Sting

I went to TTT 9 times in total, I think, and the audience reactions were quite varied. <P>At 2am showings, they were understandably quiet, as everyone was noticably nearly-passed out from exhaustion.<P>At the Midnight showing, there was a lot of excitement, and people were cheering, laughing, yelling, all of the fun stuff.<P>At other showings, it was generally quiet. I get the feeling a lot of the people were just concentrating on following the complex story line (if you've only seen half, or none of FotR, I assume it's got to be rather difficult to follow).<P>Now, I also have a copy of the film from China, that was recorded inside the theatre. It's subtitled in Mandarin, but all of the character still speak English. It's really amusing to watch, because there's just nearly constant laughter for no real reason. Most of the movie isn't even funny, and yet the entire audience is laughing. It's like they're all in vibrating chairs or something.
Beren87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2003, 06:08 AM   #52
Airerűthiel
Wight

Airerűthiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Maybe British people are more restrained...certainly northerners are (no offence to any fellow northerners reading this!). My sister and I went to see it when I visited her in London at Christmas, and we only got a few newbies asking about what happened in Fellowship.<P>But back up north I went to see the film with my friends, and it was so quiet you could have heard a pin drop (hooray for stupid clichés!). If anyone even tried to talk, virtually the whole cinema turned round and went, "SSSHH!" I wanted to laugh a couple of times, I admit that freely...<P>Edit: Oh yes, in London there were a couple of people who laughed at some of the scenes, like when Aragorn and Legolas were miles ahead of Gimli as they ran across the plains, and during the scene between Legolas and Gimli at Helm's Deep (including "Two!" "I'm on seventeen", "You could have picked a better spot!" "Shall I explain it to you, or would you like me to find you a box?" and "Don't tell the elf")<p>[ August 08, 2003: Message edited by: Airerűthiel ]
Old 08-13-2003, 09:49 AM   #53
peonydeepdelver
Shade of Carn Dűm

peonydeepdelver has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to peonydeepdelver
Shield

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> P.S. I have a cell phone & I'm 15, hopefully for you that's older than you (but I doubt it, taking into consideration the average age of posters on this site!) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Actually I'm 14 and a half, and most of the kids I know have cell phones. My parents just won't let me. Oh well.<P><BR>When we held our own 10 PM showing outside at the cabins I go to, my friend's cousin and I cheered whenever Pippin and Merry came on (those are our fave characters), and my friend gave a commentary the whole time, including Frodo having contractions on Weathertop, Sam being the farthest from home he's ever been ("What, have you been counting the steps you take your whole life?!"), and the weird eye-roll thing Gandalf does near the end of the Council of Elrond when Merry and Pippin come out. But she's seen the movie as many times as me, and read the books, so it was funny. My other friend at the lake (who had only seen the movie one other time) has turned into a rabid Orli fan. Oh joy.
"Nazgul, Nazgul! You speak of what is deep beyond the reach of your muddy dreams, Ugluk! Nazgul! Ah! All that they make out! One day you'll wish that you had not said that. Ape! You ought to know that they're the apple of the Great Eye." ~Grishnakh
peonydeepdelver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 08:46 AM   #54
Mariska Greenleaf
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mariska Greenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I would like to know what the audience was like when you went to see ROTK.<BR>I expected a LOT of people and audience reactions when I went to see the trilogy, but alas: the theatre was only half full, and the audience was super quiet.<BR>Can you believe that? There was only a little laugh now and then , but that was all.<BR>It was even that bad, that when I gave a small reaction like : "oh" immediately all the heads around me turned to me with a disturbed look in their eyes.<P>I know that the belgian people are thought off as boring, and I would of course be the first to argue about that, but I'm afraid,considering the audience Tuesday, it could be true...<P>One more thing, maybe it was a coincidence, but 90% of the people there were guys...<P> <P>Oh, and one more thing. I saw the film at 11pm the 16th! Isn't that strange, I thought that they had to wait untill the 17th...but you don't hear me complaining about that<BR> <p>[ 10:51 AM December 18, 2003: Message edited by: Mariska Greenleaf ]
Old 12-18-2003, 09:47 AM   #55
Elentári_O_Most_Mighty_1
Shade of Carn Dűm

Elentári_O_Most_Mighty_1 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Really???<BR>All the viewings were FULLY BOOKED apart from 2:45pm...(I saw 3:15).<BR>Amazing...people gasped, laughed at Gimli, cheered at Leggy's Oliphaunt stunt, cheered at Eowyn when she said she was a woman...man, what an experience. Except someone I know was giggling at every Sam and Frodo scene...
Old 12-18-2003, 09:58 AM   #56
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Sting

Tuesday at Midnight (okay, Wed.12:05 am While we were waiting, it was on the quiet side, and a couple of groups of people startd this chant:<P>"I say Baggins, you say Frodo. <BR>Baggins!" <BR>"Frodo!" <BR>"Baggins!" <BR>"Frodo!"<BR>"I say Mordor, You say Oh No.<BR>Mordor!" <BR>"Oh No!" <BR>"Mordor!" <BR>"Oh No!"<P>Then they cheered. All eight of them.<P>I was too busy laughing to join in. But I must say it loosened up the theater pretty well. After that, there was cheering, and applause and reactions, and it was fairly lively. <P>Wednesday at 6:15... was a dead-boring audience. I was the only one even trying to clap or cheer. I definitely laughed louder than anybody else.
Old 12-18-2003, 10:25 AM   #57
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

There was one row at the very back who cheered at every point. They cheered when the adverts began. They cheered when the film began. They cheered when the film started after the intermission. The whole audience clapped at the end.<P>Everyone laughed in the right places. It was very pleasant. I giggled at all the Frodo and Sam scenes (though I doubt I'm the one that Elentari knows ). I had to stuff my mouth with my sleeve at the end. It was so tacky, I just couldn't stop laughing.
Old 12-18-2003, 11:01 AM   #58
Ainaserkewen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ainaserkewen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Ainaserkewen
Sting

Our audience was awsome, just perfect. We all waited in the cold for about an hour until they let us into the theater. I tell you I've never been in a mad rush for a movie before...I have a bruise to show for it. Luckily I was at the front of the line so it wasn't terminal. We waited for so long in the theater...then finally they started the adverts. Everyone cheered but there was a fluk in the screen and it went out. I was thinking "just my luck for a power failure" but it came back on moments later, more cheering. I held the hand of my friend next to me in antisipation as it started. Finally, I would get relief and see the ending movie.<P>All through the movie, I swear I made more noise than anyone else. People did laugh in all the right places and awwwed in others. The part that was really terrible was when Sam and Frodo were on the island surrounded by lava and all of a sudden the music swells and the screen goes black. I was about ready to sever someone's head if that was the ending...so was the rest of the audience too I think. There was a huge sigh of relief when the picture started up again. That happened once more, and when the movie was finally over...there was screaming, crying, cheering, whistling(me) and just general noise.<P>I'm so glad I went with all the other freaks on opening night then wait for a quiet theater.
chicken again tomorrow? Why am I
always eating chicken?
Ainaserkewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 11:20 AM   #59
Lossentilien
Wight

Lossentilien has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

uh, my audience pretty much sucked. They all came in (some late) and for some reason no one found their seats quickly, but wandered up and down the rows a few times before realising they were right in front of it. And no one dressed up, as predicted. The best i saw was a girl in unremarkable, ordinary clothes, wearing the ring round her neck. <BR>They did laugh a little, and there were a few sniffs at the end, but once the credits came up, there was a rush to get out. I'm a little odd in that I insist on watching the full credits (people put a lot of time, love and work into films, so it should be appreciated) so it really really annoyed me that they just left before the cast list was over. We couldn't even hear Annie Lennox's song over the rabble. And I swear, there must be a lot of people with bladder problems. <BR>Oh, and our showing was suddenly stopped right as Pippin was going to take the Palantir- it wasn't an intermission or anything, just technical problems- which was a nasty shock.
Old 12-18-2003, 12:05 PM   #60
Alatariel
Wight

Alatariel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

The audience was very into the movie when I saw it - it was a full house and people were rowdy. Unfortunatley, I was sitting next to two men who couldn't handle the fact that two male characters (i.e. Sam and Frodo or Merry and Pippin) could have a close friendship without being homosexual. They kept giggling, throwing looks at each other and making stupid comments like "here comes the kiss!" The worst part is these men were easily in their 30s - old enough that they <I>should</I> be able to handle themselves!! Why can some people not handle a close same sex friendship??<P>Other than those two childish adults, the audience was great!
Old 12-18-2003, 01:04 PM   #61
Bill the Pony
Pile O'Bones

Bill the Pony has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The audience here (not a great neighborhood in Houston) was abominable. There were many asinine comments from all directions (from 25yr old and up males who should have known how to keep their machismo to themselves), a bevvy of childern babbling throughout (honestly, who takes kids to a movie like that?!), and much laughter where it did not belong. Of course, laughter for people is like barking for dogs as some person of note once said (it is a reaction not only to humour, but to fear, surprise, uncertainty, etc.), so maybe it can be excused. But a terrible audience nonetheless - every time I'd get in to the movie, something else would happen. Oh, and i musn't forget that some %$^&&*( was playing with the lights in the theater! It's very hard to focus on the film when the lights are being flicked on and off. My worst movie audience experience EVER. <BR>I think nobody there was a Tolkien fan, and frankly the movie was over their heads and far too intense for them to handle. That's the only explanation I can come up with. Products of society, one and all. If all someone's ever seen is stuff like the Fast and the Furious or Austin Powers, then ROTK would be an incredible sensory overload. I'd be barking too!<P>*Stomps hoof on ground*
Bill the Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 01:57 PM   #62
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Silmaril

Oh poor Bill. I'm sorry. Send them to HER....<P>Ahem. I went to a 7:00 showing. My audience was pretty good. It was sold out and we were almost all in our seats a half hour before the film started. 90% of us were older teenagers to young twenty-somethings, I've never been around this many people my age since going a rock concert in October! (I was homeschooled....) Anyway, so that was interesting. For the most part everyone was into the movie, riveted in silence except for laughter at the jokes and cute bits. (All Gimli's one-liners, Gandalf telling Pippin not to speak, etc.) There weren't really cheers, but some people going "yes!" when Eowyn did her whole Witch-King thing. It was deathly silent when the screen went blank, I don't think I was the only one holding my breath. People clapped at the end, but almost everyone left before the credits were over. I didn't mind—that meant I could get out of the parking lot easier when I left.<P>No one around me had any trouble with Frodo/Sam Merry/Pippin. It was wonderful.<P>At first the sound didn't work, so we missed half of the Spider-Man 2 trailer. We were all very worried.
Old 12-18-2003, 02:01 PM   #63
mallornleaf

Sting

We had a great audience! They clapped when our huge group of twenty seven costume people walked in! During the movie we had some hearty laughs and some random applause when the ring was destroyed~~besides that we had clapping at the end<P>My only annoyance came from my mom (who sat next to me) who insisted on asking questions throughout the show~~I dont mind answering questions just save them for after the movie! she was understanding though!
Old 12-18-2003, 02:11 PM   #64
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sapphire_Flame has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

I went to a 1:00 PM show. The theater was sold out, and the audience was mega cool (except for the kid behind me that kept kicking my seat). They laughed in all the right places, and they cheered and clapped a lot: When the movie started, when the Dead came out of the ships and started attacking, when Eowyn cuts off the fell beast's head, when Eowyn kills the Witch-King, and when Legolas does his little oliphaunt stunt are just a few of the times.<P>Nobody that I heard really had any problem with Frodo/Sam, Merry/Pippin. The people in the row behind my group were seemingly anti-Pippin in general though; I was very tempted to turn around and stick my sword into one of them to shut 'em up. <P>Other than that, and the fact that no one but the people in my group were dressed up, the audience was very cool.<P>Abedithon le,<P>~*~Aranel~*~
Old 12-18-2003, 04:00 PM   #65
Fíriel of Ao Tea Roa
Pile O'Bones

Fíriel of Ao Tea Roa has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

Nice idea, merging the TTT-reactions with ROTK.. well, here is my story:<P>As much as the audience enjoyed the singing and kicking Hobbits, we loved as much at the slightly drunk girl who walked past the screen. She stumbled spectacular dramatically, caught her balance, stumbled again, tried to fight the falling while giggling all the time.. her five minutes of fame. I hope she remembers it after all.<P>I went to another screening later and the second audience was far more emotionally strong - one could hear the whole cinema crying at times. It took most some time to realize that Frodo will leave to the Grey Havens, too, but then - no holding back there.
Old 12-18-2003, 04:45 PM   #66
Enorëiel
Wight

Enorëiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

My audience was perfect! There were about 7 screens where we went that were showing midnight showings. The people that organized it proclaimed ours the best and loudest. We clapped and cheered at all the right places. I LOVE going to movies when people do that! IT makes the movie even better! <P>No one around me had Frodo/Sam or Merry/Pippin problems but trust me, if they did I would have let them have it! It makes me so mad! Girls are allowed to be close friends, why can't guys? What I think might have shut a few people up is at 'the end of all things' when it's serious and, well, it's the end of all things; what does Sam say? "I would have married Rosie Cotton. If I had gotten the chance to marry one person, it would have been her" (or something to that affect) and then he cried. To all those stupid doubters; there you go! Evidence! Now let it be!

Whoever said "Nothing is impossible" never tried to slam a revolving door.
Enorëiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 08:06 PM   #67
Shy Hobbit
Wight

Shy Hobbit has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I'm so sorry for those of you who had such rotten experiences! *hugs*<P>I went to a 10:50am showing on the 17th, I swear, BEST audience I've ever had the pleasure of sitting with. I was worried at first, the place was slowly filling (I think I was the only one who had advance tickets!) with teenagers, and maybe some first and second year college students. And kids. People were walking in with 4-8 year olds. I was bracing myself. But it was remarkably quiet! Only one cell rang in the whole duration, and laughing was only at appropriate places. Can't say I can remember cheering, but that's ok, I want to hear the movie more Someone made an "OOF!" noise when Frodo recieved his sting, but there were no insane screaming people going bonkers over Shelob. You could have heard a pin drop, except for that point when you just *knew* something was about to happen, then everyone started to squirm. <P>I think Gandalf clocking Denethor recieved the loudest reaction, you just have to put your purist aside and admit that was humorous <P>One guy was, for some reason, audibly grossed out when Pippin kissed Denethor's ring. <P>The fading-to-black sequences left me holding my breath, I would have had a fit if they ended it with Frodo and Sam lying on that boulder But I held my breath, having enough faith in PJ not to screw things up that badly. <P>A few morons left when Frodo woke up and was reunited with the Fellowship in that painfully beatiful scene.<P>All in all, it was awesome. It was obvious these people had a genuine love for the story, and many of them were saying things like "It didn't follow the book 100%, but I liked it!" as they left. Only a few people besides me stayed to the end of the credits (how can you not stay and look at the beautiful artwork?!) and no one cheered, but I was so thrilled. Never before have I been with an audience that was so well-behaved, and into the movie. <P>To any of you who were in a small theater in North Florida yesterday morning, I thank you

~The Fellowship of the King~
Shy Hobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 08:50 PM   #68
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Rose Cotton has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I was gifted with the most wonderful audience I have ever known!<P>I had gone to the Gathering of the Fellowship convention so for the past three days I had been surrounded by LotR fans and was all hyped up for the movie.<P>When we were waiting for the movie to start me and a girl I was sitting next to sung the song the hobbits sing in the Green Dragon in the movie. It was great with everyone clapping to the beat!<P>Then when we were watching the movie there was applause at almost every place. But it was never too much because everyone wanted to hear what was going on. It made the experiance all the more exiting. And at the end I could hear major sniffling.<P>The only thing that I got miffed at is at one of the Sam and Frodo moments the girl next to me made an inapropriate comment. But I just elbowed her and she understood.<P>I challenge everyone to slay all those who call Sam or Frodo gay after seeing this movie! Because those people oviously don't understand the hell those hobbits had to go through.<P><BR>Thank goodness for good audiences!
Old 12-18-2003, 09:46 PM   #69
faenaduial

Silmaril

The audience at our 7:00 PM sold out show on the 17th was just great.<P>The fun started on line. Although no one came to this show in costume, everyone was talking about whether we had watched the first two DVD's during the week and other things we had done in anticipation of RotK. Everyone was super friendly and very excited.<P>During the movie everyone laughed and cheered in all the right places. Many of us were crying when Pippin sang.<P>And amazingly there was no one getting up and down during the film!!<P>Our best laugh came when at the end of the movie when a group of about 20 girls in the front rows all let out a huge scream when Orlando's name appeared during the credits. Immediately after that when Denethor's name appeared a guy in his 40's let out a scream in imitation of the girls. The entire theater disolved into peals of laughter!
Old 12-18-2003, 11:58 PM   #70
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Yeah the audience at the 12 o'clock showing that I went to was wonderful. We even sang happy birthday to a fan whose birthday was on the 17th. They cheered at the beginning and at the end, and at a whole bunch of points in between. Some of the most notable cheers were for when Sam picks up Frodo (many of the kids there were from my high school, and some of the guys from the football team started cheering "Rudy!" at that time ), and for when Aragorn has that huge kiss with Arwen (I think it was because all the guys were jealous). They also cheered when Eowyn finished off the Witch King. It was great fun.
Old 12-19-2003, 09:10 PM   #71
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The bottom of the ocean, discussing philosophy with a giant squid
Meneltarmacil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Eye

My audience experience was pretty good. Lots of clapping/cheering at Pelennor victories, and (sorry about this, Meela) everybody clapped when Denethor got smacked by Gandalf. The only bad thing that happened was when somebody's cell phone went off while the orcs were taking Osgiliath.
Old 12-21-2003, 12:14 PM   #72
Arothir
Wight

Arothir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Everybody laughed for Gimli's that only counts as one quote. Someone called Denethor a jerk when he said he wished Faramir had died. Also they almost left when the screen went black before the end. It did that twice, one after the Ring was destroyed, and I can't remember the other time.
Arothir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2003, 03:13 PM   #73
Failivrin
Wight

Failivrin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

the first time i saw it, people just laughed.<P>the second time was BRILLIANT! when shelob put her legs out through the hole there was this big 'OOOOOOOH!' and then when she stabbed Frodo all of these people went 'AAAAAAAAAAAARGH' and a woman screamed 'OH MY GOD!' it was great
Old 12-21-2003, 10:58 PM   #74
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
My audience was suitably muted for a British audience. No cheering or clapping, just a few laughs at appropriate moments.<P>The reactions that amused me were an audible "Eeeuugh!" when we saw Shelob's dripping stinger just before it hit Frodo, and laughter when we saw Frodo bound up with her webs. He did look just a little too much like a mummified doll all neatly tied up like that. <P>I could feel the audience on the verge of laughter the second time we saw Gollum struggling with an invisible Frodo. It did look faintly ridiculous, so I for one am quite glad we had a second, more "visible", struggle between them.
Old 12-21-2003, 11:48 PM   #75
Mhoram
Dead and Loving It

Mhoram has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

For FOTR my audience booed at the end..because the film caught on fire and we missed the last few minutes, lol.<P>Don't remember anything from TTT, but for ROTK a small boy said "Look out man!" when Shelob was creeping up on Frodo. Everyone laughed. And after it was over the audience gave a nice applause (pretty rare for a movie to get that i'm sure.)
Mhoram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2003, 09:03 AM   #76
Elentári_O_Most_Mighty_1
Shade of Carn Dűm

Elentári_O_Most_Mighty_1 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

My second viewing on Saturday was more British too... ...just a bit of chuckling, that's all. And yes, in both screenings people were holding back the laughter at Gollum's struggle. I didn't think Frodo was that <I>big</I>...I must say the first performance was much more fun, as everyone seemed to know exactly when to cheer. Nope, Meela, that wasn't you...it was someone in my form. I would've cheered when Orli's name came up, but I would've been the only one , they were mostly men. I was surprised, because it was a wednesday at 3:15pm...wouldn't they be at work?! And that first performance we got there half an hour early and we had to sit at the front because most of the seats were taken.
Old 12-22-2003, 11:16 AM   #77
Jjudvven
Wight

Jjudvven has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Jjudvven
Sting

Well the first time I saw it, the theatre was full. People "ooooohhhddd" and "aaaahhhd" at the right places, and many of the women folk covered their faces at the mighty Queen Shelob. It was great. Unfortunately, at the end when the screen went blank right on Mt. Doom, many of the people thought that was the end and started leaving! I was like "Get back in here you idiots, it's not over yet!" Sadly, many of them didn't feel like returning to their seats, and thus missed the magnificent ending. <P>And of course the entire theatre applauded for Gimli's "That still only counts as one" comment. :P
Old 12-22-2003, 01:47 PM   #78
Elennar Starfire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Elennar Starfire has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Elennar Starfire
Silmaril

I think most people in the theatre when I went were like me, glued to their seats, mouths hanging open in awe, tears trickling down their cheeks. Except for the fussy baby at the beginning, and a bit of sniffling, it was pretty quiet until Eowyn said "I am no man," then the whole audience started applauding. A good movie experience.
Old 12-22-2003, 02:03 PM   #79
Angadraug
Animated Skeleton

Angadraug has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I went to the 12:05 am showing at my theater and my fans were also great. There weren't as many people dressed up as I would have liked but it worked out anyways. There were a couple kids there that were around 6 or 7, a little late for them in my opinion, but they didn't bother me. And there were also a few people there that didn't really know much of the story, just liked the movies, but they didn't bother me either. We had a lot of clapping and laughing and quite a bit of crying. I know one girl that cried when they were lighting the beakons. She cries at anything. One part that does stick out though was near the end of the movie when Frodo and Sam were on that huge rock with the lava around them and it looked like the movie was over. When the next scene came the sigh that the crowd, including myself, let out was incredible. Loudest sigh ever. Anyways it was the greatest theater experience I've ever had.
Angadraug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 09:23 AM   #80
Evisse the Blue
Brightness of a Blade

Evisse the Blue has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Yahoo to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Skype™ to Evisse the Blue
Sting

My audience was suprinsingly enthusiastic (I did not expect such reactions; everybody was really hyped and excited. They clapped when the movie started, when Aragorn and Arwen kissed, at Legolas's stunt; there was also scattered but enthusiastic clapping when everyone bowed to the hobbits, and of course at the end.<BR>There was no laughter - except at humorous remarks, and no stupid remarks. I was actually on the verge of laughter at some serious scenes, but refrained myself, seeing as no one waws about to join me. <BR>The atmosphere was quite a pleasant one: the room was full, and there were even people on the stairs (myself included: serves me right to buy my ticket in the eve of the premiere). It was like watching it at home with friends. <BR>Oh - at one point, in a scene( one with Denethor and Pippin) there was an interruption, and it was cut. Everybody growled in frustration, and whistled!<BR> Yes, I was really blessed with such an audience - it could have been so much worse!