The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Quiz Room
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2019, 04:37 PM   #5841
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pervinca Took is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I think William will provide the missing bits and you will be able to solve them together. I provided one or two missing links so you could solve a couple of his last clues, if you remember. RGN which he clarified as RN, and Hagar, Sarah's handmaid.

Try relaxing and enjoying the game. And taking a break and seeing if the next day you can think of a different perspective on a clue. Instead of trying to batter all the clues to death at once if you can't find the answers at once.
Old 05-14-2019, 04:38 PM   #5842
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Urwen has just left Hobbiton.
Okay, but don't expect everyone to chime in. Also, remember this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rule 3A
In addition, a thread may be considered stagnant if there has been no new post for 10 days or more. In any of these circumstances, anyone may ask a new question on the topic.

I am suffering from Maeglinomaniacal Maeglinophilia.
Urwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 04:40 PM   #5843
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

MENELDUR: Repair and reign through turmoil, he does. Move along one.
2. Back number thirteen. Initially lose trust, but replace with direction. See her!
3. She reforms one long-serving prisoner.
4. A dwarf sickens, but is restored by her.
5. No ease of the womb, we hear. At sixes and sevens, he is.
6. He arranged a note of complaint.
7. Was she heard to mock or gloat at the time?
Old 05-14-2019, 04:40 PM   #5844
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Please prove me wrong, Huinesoron.....

ETA: And.....He's gone again. You see what I mean? T.T

Old 05-14-2019, 04:44 PM   #5845
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Yes, I know the ten day rule. We're currently on about half a day! And where I live, and I think Huey too, it is now bedtime. Good night!
Old 05-14-2019, 04:48 PM   #5846
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pervinca Took View Post
Yes, I know the ten day rule. We're currently on about half a day! And where I live, and I think Huey too, it is now bedtime. Good night!
And I suppose that you think that he and G55 would magically pop up just to try to solve this despite being absent for more than a week? :c

Old 05-14-2019, 05:14 PM   #5847
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urwen View Post
Okay, but don't expect everyone to chime in. Also, remember this:
With you bumping threads up each time they've been silent for more than a few hours, we won't run into that problem.

Quote:
It would be at least a year before Huinesoron/G55 decide to 'have a go'. What are we supposed to in the meantime? I mean, there is only so much William and I could do.....
Why don't you speak for yourself and don't decide for others. Realize too that no one is obligated to post. If you're bored, you could start making a list of 50 realistic reasons why people don't post every hour of the day. Hint: "they just want to make the password solving more difficult for you" is not one of them.
Old 05-14-2019, 08:38 PM   #5848
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
3. She reforms one long-serving prisoner.
I couldn't come up with anything except for Jean Valjean for the prisoner, but he has too many J's for Tolkien names and from what I can remember there are no Janes in any of the family trees.

A google search brought me to Paul Geidel, who served the longest sentence in the States. This has more promising letters but I still don't get a clean acronym.
Old 05-15-2019, 12:13 AM   #5849
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Not Valjean or Geidel, and indeed not any *specific* prisoner.

OK. A clue for Urwen.

I told you FAITH was right, but look again at that part of that clue. There is one vital word that you are overlooking.
Old 05-15-2019, 01:10 AM   #5850
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

You mean LOST. I included it in my Firiel guess as letter L. I mean, it says 'Initially lose trust', which implies that we need initials of Faith and Lost, ie. F and L.

Old 05-15-2019, 01:43 AM   #5851
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post

Why don't you speak for yourself and don't decide for others. Realize too that no one is obligated to post. If you're bored, you could start making a list of 50 realistic reasons why people don't post every hour of the day. Hint: "they just want to make the password solving more difficult for you" is not one of them.
There is a difference between not posting every hour of every day and not posting for more than a week, just sayin'. And if you're that busy, then you're not magically going to become unbusy. I apologize if me being realistic offends you this much.

Old 05-15-2019, 03:14 AM   #5852
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
No, they are not. At least three puzzles have come and gone, and only William, me and you were around to solve them. Huinesoron and G55 have gone MIA, so I won't expect them to chime in if I were you.
Quote:
It would be at least a year before Huinesoron/G55 decide to 'have a go'. What are we supposed to in the meantime? I mean, there is only so much William and I could do.....
Quote:
Please prove me wrong, Huinesoron.....

ETA: And.....He's gone again. You see what I mean? T.T
Quote:
There is a difference between not posting every hour of every day and not posting for more than a week, just sayin'. And if you're that busy, then you're not magically going to become unbusy. I apologize if me being realistic offends you this much.
o.O

In my case, not so much 'busy' as 'stressed and wrung-out'; I think I said that last time this came up. And yes, before you ask, it actually does take less mental energy to post a weird theory to Books than to puzzle out cryptic clues.

Also, I remember a very long period which mostly consisted of Pervinca and I bouncing passwords off each other; sometimes people don't engage with the same threads you do, and that's okay.

Alsø alsø wik, are you monitoring Downs activity to see who's around? O.o That sounds more like something you'd do to catch suspiciously quiet wolves in Werewolf.

---===---

Anyway: here I am, in much less than a year.

1/ MEneldur, as already guessed. A few possible themes here; Urwen has already passed through several.

2/ In a Tolkien context, thirteen immediately suggests 'thirteen dwarves'. The thirteenth arrival at Bilbo's house was Thorin himself, who goes back as Niroht. That... doesn't sound very coherent, honestly, and there's no anagram indicator in the clue (Pervinca tends to include those).

Alternately, my name being taken in vain suggests we might be looking elsewhere... how about elements? Element 13 is aluminium, or Al - and LA is a perfect way to start a Tolkien name.

And y'know, if you lose the initial of 'faith' (thanks, Urwen), you get AITH... slap those two together and stick an L for Left in the middle, and you hit LALAITH.

3/ looks like an anagram ('reforms'). I was about to start thinking of prisoners, but Pervinca says it's not a specific one... synonyms? 'Lifer' means a long-serving prisoner, and 'one' suggests we add an A... no, make that a Roman I, to get FIRIEL.

4/ Well, the movies tell me this must be TAURIEL. (Beleg of course healed Mim, but was male, so far as we know.)

5/ 'at sixes and sevens' makes me think of Don't Cry For Me, Argentina, but that's sung by a woman, so maybe not. Did you know there's precisely one instance of the phrase "ease of the womb" on Google? So... I'm guessing a synonym for 'no ease' (pain? hard?), and a soundalike for 'womb'. No idea about the latter part, unless it's pointing to a 2-letter character spelt out on letters 6 and 7 (in the clue, that would be EO, which is almost EOL, but I'm guessing not.)

6/ 'arranged' suggests an anagram, adding a note (A-G, as Urwen says) to a synonym for complaint. I'm no good at anagrams unless I have a theme to aim at.

7/ At the time? Er, when? :O Is the answer URWEN? ^_^ It would actually kind of fit - 'heard' indicates a soundalike, and it's a valid answer to 'at the time?'. Could also be 'her, when?'.

I'm pretty confident of my answers for 2 and 3, so what to Meneldur, Lalaith, and Firiel have in common? Well... taking Firiel to be Miriel (wife of Finwe), they all changed their names - and, oddly enough, Lalaith changed from Urwen. That would mean we'd need both Miriel and Irimon as answers in there somewhere, as well as one other pair, of which one half would be the password (none of these answers start with E).

A quick browse suggest that ELESSAR would fit for the password with those conditions. So we'd be looking at the following overall:

1. mEneldur
2. Lalaith
3. firiEl
4. unclear, as neither Miriel or Urwen has an S
5. some name of Aragorn; Strider seems plausible, but I can't fit it to the clue.
6. would have to be Irimon, but there's no A. Meneldur also has the name Elentirmo, but again... the only possibility would be tAr-meneldur, but that seems a bit repetitive.
7. uRwen would work.

How've I done?

hS
Huinesoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 04:52 AM   #5853
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

MENELDUR: Repair and reign through turmoil, he does. Move along one.
LALAITH: Back number thirteen. Initially lose trust, but replace with direction. See her!
FIRIEL: She reforms one long-serving prisoner.
4. A dwarf sickens, but is restored by her.
5. No ease of the womb, we hear. At sixes and sevens, he is.
6. He arranged a note of complaint.
7. Was she heard to mock or gloat at the time?

Exactly ... I thought a scientist might figure that it was 'atomic number 13.' As I said, I had forgotten my own thinking behind that clue, though, and had to stop for a minute or two and figure it out.

Urwen ... you were missing that it was the INITIAL letter of FAITH.
Old 05-15-2019, 05:05 AM   #5854
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

I cannot see any connection between Lalaith, Firiel and Meneldur, other than the one Huinesoron said....

Old 05-15-2019, 05:10 AM   #5855
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Firiel and Lalaith were both called 'elven-fair'. And Meneldur's birth name, Irimon, means 'beautiful man'. Is the connection that all three of them were considered 'fair'?

Last edited by Urwen; 05-15-2019 at 05:21 AM.
Old 05-15-2019, 05:22 AM   #5856
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

The password could be Elf-Fair, then

Old 05-15-2019, 05:25 AM   #5857
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

4. Miriel (M for Mim + IL + I for Is + RE)

Old 05-15-2019, 05:33 AM   #5858
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

I did my research, and another common thing that Firiel, Meneldur and Lalaith share is that all of them had two siblings.

Old 05-15-2019, 05:35 AM   #5859
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Firiel and Lalaith were both called 'elven-fair'. And Meneldur's birth name, Irimon, means 'beautiful man'. Is the connection that all three of them were considered 'fair'?
In this case the password could be ELFWINE, as in Elfwine the Fair, son of Eomer. That would put a W in the answer to #4, but I can't see a useful answer from that.

The characters actually surnamed 'the Fair' are Celegorm, Dior, Elanor, Hirluin, and Elfwine.

hS
Old 05-15-2019, 05:40 AM   #5860
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Other known characters with two siblings

Feanor, Fingolfin, Finarfin
Aredhel, Turgon, Fingon (unless we count Argon)
Turin, Nienor
Ailinel, Almariel
Elwing, Elured, Elurin
Elwe, Olwe, Elmo

Old 05-15-2019, 05:50 AM   #5861
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Something tells me you got the password, otherwise, Pervinca wouldn't be posting a reply for this long.

Old 05-15-2019, 05:51 AM   #5862
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

5. Huinesoron has applied 'we hear' to the wrong element.

No to Huey's theme and password, too.

People are different. Cryptic clues to me are fun things I can do between other things, but lit discussion takes time and headspace I don't have. (Unless someone mentions Frodo, of course. ). But it's mostly First Age, which I learned to love in later years but still don't know as intimately as LOTR.
Old 05-15-2019, 05:51 AM   #5863
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Something tells me you got the password, otherwise, Pervinca wouldn't be posting a reply for this long.
No. Pervinca is at WORK.
Old 05-15-2019, 05:54 AM   #5864
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

4. You are not looking for a name of a dwarf, but a 'kind of' synonym for dwarf.
Old 05-15-2019, 05:57 AM   #5865
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Synonyms for 'dwarf': midget, bantam, Lilliputian, Tom Thumb, homunculus.

Old 05-15-2019, 05:59 AM   #5866
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

See above.
Old 05-15-2019, 06:02 AM   #5867
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

I did, and nothing comes to mind.

Old 05-15-2019, 06:02 AM   #5868
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Is it one of these?

Synonyms for 'dwarf': midget, bantam, Lilliputian, Tom Thumb, homunculus.

Old 05-15-2019, 06:04 AM   #5869
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Or one of these?

gnome, goblin, hobgoblin, troll, imp, elf, brownie, kelpie, leprechaun, fairy, pixie, sprite

Old 05-15-2019, 06:13 AM   #5870
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

4. Menegilda Goold (GNOME+ILL+GOADED)

Old 05-15-2019, 09:23 AM   #5871
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Brilliant effort, but no.

Remember I said 'kind of' synonym. Think of something a dwarf *does.*
Old 05-15-2019, 09:28 AM   #5872
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Miner?

Old 05-15-2019, 09:30 AM   #5873
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

M i n e r + i l l + r e n e w

Old 05-15-2019, 09:31 AM   #5874
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Maybe Elfhild is the password, as opposed to the clue.

Old 05-15-2019, 09:35 AM   #5875
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Quote:
Brilliant effort, but no.

Remember I said 'kind of' synonym. Think of something a dwarf *does.*
If you dig, and are ill...

... then you're DINA DIGGLE, great-great-grandmother of Frodo Baggins.

^_^

hS
Old 05-15-2019, 09:41 AM   #5876
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Quote:
Maybe Elfhild is the password, as opposed to the clue.
There's only so many names starting with Elf-; I can't see any link between Elfhild and the others. Lalaith, maybe - they both died early. And Firiel = Miriel did the same, I guess...

... and I suppose Tar-Meneldur abdicated early, to clear the way for Aldarion. So maybe?

For #5, I think 'at sixes and sevens' is just an anagram indicator.

hS
Old 05-15-2019, 09:43 AM   #5877
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huinesoron View Post
There's only so many names starting with Elf-; I can't see any link between Elfhild and the others. Lalaith, maybe - they both died early. And Firiel = Miriel did the same, I guess...
Elfhelm also fits the letters, but again I have nothing theme-wise to support the answer.
Old 05-15-2019, 09:43 AM   #5878
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huinesoron View Post
If you dig, and are ill...

... then you're DINA DIGGLE, great-great-grandmother of Frodo Baggins.

^_^

hS
If so, then it's D I G G E R, which doesn't fit w/your answer.

P.S: Try to solve the Musical Thread riddle as well, would u?

Old 05-15-2019, 09:49 AM   #5879
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Maybe 'sickens' is just an anagram indicator too.

Old 05-15-2019, 09:51 AM   #5880
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Except that it isn't.

4. Silmarien (MINER + AILS)