The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2015, 11:28 AM   #1
Mister Underhill
Dread Horseman

Mister Underhill has been trapped in the Barrow!
Pluto surface feature named 'Balrog'

It's clear where the New Horizons mission scientists come down on the Balrog wing question -- those things stretch from Ala to Vucub Camé.

Mister Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 12:09 PM   #2
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Ha, I saw that! It's nice to have Tolkien's work immortalized in such a way. If they name something after Tauriel though, I'm going to blow it up!
Old 07-15-2015, 01:46 PM   #3
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Considering that Pluto's features tend to be named after gods and demons of the Underworld, that's perfectly likely.

Do they have a Morgoth and Sauron already?
Old 07-15-2015, 05:56 PM   #4
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitchwife View Post
Do they have a Morgoth and Sauron already?
Not positive about that, but they did "see" the Eye of Sauron in space at one point. Also, they named a lizard (I think?) after something Tolkien, but I forget what.
Old 07-15-2015, 09:17 PM   #5
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
Not positive about that, but they did "see" the Eye of Sauron in space at one point. Also, they named a lizard (I think?) after something Tolkien, but I forget what.
Well, there are
two different genera named after Ancalagon the Black, but oddly, neither is a lizard.
Old 09-23-2015, 10:07 AM   #6
Lotrelf
Shade of Carn Dűm

Lotrelf has just left Hobbiton.
There was an article last year about how many scientific agencies (is that the proper word?) have been named after the things in Tolkien's world. Mountains on Titan are named after his characters. In fact one of the things (I don't remember exactly what) has been named after Sauron (having a full form and "Sauron" being its acronym). I must say Science becomes far more interesting with it!
Old 10-13-2015, 10:11 AM   #7
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Ok, not exactly within this thread topic, and I know there was a better thread for this somewhere in N&N, but it's buried deep and I forgot what it's called...

Anyways, here is an excerpt from my biology textbook:

Quote:
As an aside in closing, it is interesting that many of the historical experiments
revealing the circularity of bacterial and plasmid genomes coincided with the
publication and popularization of J. R. R. Tolkien’s The Lord of the Rings. Consequently,
a review of bacterial genetics at that time led off with the following
quotation from the trilogy:

One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.
Oh yeah!
Old 12-09-2015, 03:11 PM   #8
Axbolt
Pile O'Bones

Axbolt has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

I read in a magazine last month that a dark area on Pluto has been named after Mordor
Old 12-09-2015, 03:24 PM   #9
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axbolt View Post
I read in a magazine last month that a dark area on Pluto has been named after Mordor
Cool!

I realize that there are comparatively few discoveries named after things from Tolkien's books, and that most of these are too minor to be cared about by the majority of the population. But it just makes me so happy that somewhere out there sits a nerd who makes a life-not-changing discovery and decides, "Heck, let's name it after Tolkien!". Way to go!
Old 12-09-2015, 06:18 PM   #10
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
Cool!

I realize that there are comparatively few discoveries named after things from Tolkien's books, and that most of these are too minor to be cared about by the majority of the population. But it just makes me so happy that somewhere out there sits a nerd who makes a life-not-changing discovery and decides, "Heck, let's name it after Tolkien!". Way to go!
I'm naming the pothole down the street "Tauriel".