The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-16-2014, 07:52 PM   #1
Lotrelf
Shade of Carn Dűm

Lotrelf has just left Hobbiton.
Why not Sam as an 'Elf-friend'?

Both Bilbo and Frodo get the honor for their love and service to the elves; Sam despite his childish nature loves the Elves as much, and does great service bearing the Ring(for a while). His service is acknowledged and he is allowed to go across the Sea. But he does not gain the title of Elf-friend. Is there anything Professor Tolkien wrote in his letters about this? I don't remember anything from the books.
Old 07-16-2014, 08:48 PM   #2
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Some time ago I had a thread about what being a elf-friend really entailed.

Though Sam did indeed have an affinity for Elves, I don't think he is quite as singular as Bilbo and Frodo. Both of them were "chosen" to have a special, long-term role as Ring-bearer, and that choice was made with their peculiarities in mind.
Sam is a much more "normal" hobbit, his liking of elves and tales notwithstanding.
Keep in mind that it was Gildor who named Frodo an Elf-friend. He already knew Frodo somewhat anyway, through Bilbo, and discerned through speech with him more of his special character.
As for Sam, Elrond may have given him the honor later, the reader simply not being specifically informed of it.
Old 07-26-2014, 11:47 AM   #3
William Cloud Hicklin
Loremaster of Annúminas

William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Neither Pippin nor Merry received the title, at least so far as we're told. Sam's later honors seem to parallel thirs more: they become Thain and Master, he becomes Mayor, and all 3 offices are made Councillors of the North-Kingdom; Merry and Pippin are knights of the Mark and Gondor, Sam becomes a knight of Arnor.
Old 07-26-2014, 12:06 PM   #4
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pervinca Took is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Tolkien was sparing with the giving of titles, I think, and they are more powerful as a result. Frodo and Sam are honoured equally on the Field Of Cormallen (although the song appears to be titled to Frodo alone - well, to him and the Ring) - and both are called "Princes of the West." So I think Sam is given plenty of honour in the book in general - not to mention being "The most famous gardener in all history." Elvishness is a part of Frodo's essence - and part of why Sam loves him so much. They are both heroes, but they are individuals, however inseparable. Sam has his particular honours and Frodo has his, too. It would weaken or trivialise both to make it seem they were given with too free a hand.

Last edited by Pervinca Took; 07-27-2014 at 11:58 AM.
Pervinca Took is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 07:27 PM   #5
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Sam's love and fascination with Elves is more child-like, uncomprehensive, than Frodo's almost equality with the Elves. I believe that is the main difference. And Elf-friend, in my opinion, is not someone who is in awe of them, or loves them, or who has carried the Ring, or anything else really - but someone not of the Elves who could have been one. Frodo is indirectly likened to Elves throughout LOTR - both in his physically and metaphysically. Sam doesn't really qualify. He's a true hobbit.
Old 07-29-2014, 05:06 AM   #6
Faramir Jones
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Faramir Jones is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Faramir Jones is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Narya He doesn't speak the language(s)

I agree with Galadriel55, that Bilbo and Frodo have more of an equal relationship with the Elves, unlike Sam's more childlike one. I believe that this difference is marked by Frodo and Bilbo knowing Elvish languages, certainly Sindarian and at least a fair knowlege of Quenya.

We all know of the importance Tolkien attached to languages; so it would be fair to assume that he might think a person would only have some sort of equal relationship to another people if he or she had some proper knowlege of their culture, which would be inextricably linked to their language.

This can be seen among non-hobbits, where Gandalf and Aragorn II are able to deal with the Rohirrim due to knowledge of their culture, including in particular their language.
Faramir Jones is offline   Reply With Quote