The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-22-2014, 04:05 AM   #1
Lotrelf
Shade of Carn D鹠

Lotrelf has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril Free Will in Tolkien's World

In Tolkien's books there're lots of divine interventions at the different stages of the story. Free will vs. Fate is a long debate, I guess, when it comes to Frodo's decision of carrying the Ring to Mordor. Did he have free will?
Second one's Melkor who was created by Eru, and was a part of his thoughts[dare I say Eru's part?]. He, later turned out to be the darkest spirit in the end. Was he EVIL when Eru created him? Was he created purposefully i.e. Eru's purpose to teach his children like Aulë did? Or He "turned" evil i.e. on his own free will? Others-- Sauro, Ungoliant and the Elves that were corrupted and turned into Orcs, and Balrog-- had free will(or not?). If they [all] had free will how much things were in control of Eru, the Father of All? Or if not, isn't the entire world the puppet of him, since they are not free to choose between good and bad?
Old 04-22-2014, 05:46 AM   #2
tom the eldest
Wight

tom the eldest has just left Hobbiton.
There is free will in tolkien's work.melkor become evil is out of his own free will.sauron also became evil out of free will.melkor rebel because he want eru to create life in the void,which eru didnt do.he also try to find the flame imperishable,which fail because the flame is with eru himself.also he corrupt the music of creation,and although this fail it still create evil in every creation in arda.he done that out of free will

EDIT:about the orc,the has free will,but they have limited use.for example,they are allowed to eat and drink but were not allowed to disobey or defy his master.about the balrog,they have free will,but they still under strict order from gothmog and morgoth himself.and so have free will but saw limited use of it.once they master have been defeated however,they are free from the orders and able to do anything they like.

Last edited by tom the eldest; 04-22-2014 at 05:50 AM.
tom the eldest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 07:01 AM   #3
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothl髍ien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothl髍ien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothl髍ien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothl髍ien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothl髍ien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotrelf View Post
In Tolkien's books there're lots of divine interventions at the different stages of the story. Free will vs. Fate is a long debate, I guess, when it comes to Frodo's decision of carrying the Ring to Mordor. Did he have free will?
Yes, he did. That is made clear to him, first by Gandalf, who tells Frodo "The decision (to keep the Ring and try to destroy it) lies with you". Then, later, Elrond says that though he does not lay the burden of the Ring on Frodo, if Frodo chooses to accept the burden, Elrond thinks to do so is right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotrelf View Post
Second one's Melkor who was created by Eru, and was a part of his thoughts[dare I say Eru's part?]. He, later turned out to be the darkest spirit in the end. Was he EVIL when Eru created him? Was he created purposefully i.e. Eru's purpose to teach his children like Aulë did? Or He "turned" evil i.e. on his own free will? Others-- Sauro, Ungoliant and the Elves that were corrupted and turned into Orcs, and Balrog-- had free will(or not?). If they [all] had free will how much things were in control of Eru, the Father of All? Or if not, isn't the entire world the puppet of him, since they are not free to choose between good and bad?
Melkor, and every other being created by the One had Free Will. Melkor's turn to evil was part of the plan. The omniscience of the Creator of what his children will do has no effect on the choices themselves.