The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-24-2007, 02:17 PM   #1
Sauron the White
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sauron the White has just left Hobbiton.
Super Deluxe COH announced

for those with fat wallets

http://www.tolkienlibrary.com/press/...per_Deluxe.php

300 british pounds is what --- 600 us dollars? Sounds pretty pricey. Very glad I got a signed one by Christopher from the New York debut months ago for far far less than that.
Sauron the White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 03:25 PM   #2
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauron the White View Post
for those with fat wallets

http://www.tolkienlibrary.com/press/...per_Deluxe.php

300 british pounds is what --- 600 us dollars? Sounds pretty pricey. Very glad I got a signed one by Christopher from the New York debut months ago for far far less than that.
Harper Collins pretty much determine the price for their books by thinking of a number, doubling it, & then adding a couple of noughts. The next step is to find the cheapest materials available for the venture & then hold out big sacks for the money. I can't help feeling that if anyone wants a really nice edition of CoH they should buy a copy of the 'standard' deluxe edition & get a decent bookbinder to re-bind it to their specifications.

If you check their website you'll find they're offering The JRR Tolkien De luxe Edition Collection for Ł200 (Hobbit, LotR, CoH, The Sil) http://www.harpercollins.co.uk/books....aspx?id=40805.
davem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 01:04 AM   #3
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
And here it is

http://store.tolkien.co.uk/

I expect to see this on EBay very soon for ten times the price.....
Old 11-15-2007, 10:50 AM   #4
Sauron the White
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

and a bit more info in this format from tolkienlibrary.com

Quote:
Today Harper Collins has revealed The Children of Hurin Exclusive Signed Limited Edition. The publisher has opened up a page at tolkien.co.uk where you can register to receive information on when the book is available. This page shows how the book will look like and also gives us some extra information, that was not known before.

This edition is strictly limited to 500 copies and will be hand-numbered and signed by Christopher Tolkien and Alan Lee on the page (not on a bookplate). Fully bound in leather and hand-sewn, custom leather clamshell case to store the book in, and including a number of features unique to this printing, like unique illustrations and two-colour fold-out map.

Register your interest today! It is the only opportunity to own this exclusive limited edition!

[UPDATE 15-07-07] New information always leads to more questions and so I contacted Harper Collins and received some extra information from David Brawn, the publishing director:

There are no new pictures in this edition. The interior of the book is identical to the previous deluxe edition. In fact, they are first edition bookblocks printed last March with the Deluxe Edition - genuine first edition pages, which were reserved specially for this edition.
They have though the additional signature leaf and a different copyright page, plus marbled endpapers and all the other features as mentioned above. The map is Christopher Tolkien's, and no new version.

Harper Collins thought it would disappoint the thousands of people who have bought The Children of Hurin to provide new pictures only in the 500 signed copies. This edition was made especially for the Tolkien fans and collectors and can only be obtained by registrating at the site mentioned above. This was done so that the books go to people who will genuinely appreciate it. So no massive campaign this time! More info (and probably larger photo's) coming soon. [/UPDATE]

Publication Date: 10/12/2007 (UK)
Price: Ł300.00 (UK)
Binding: Hardback

ISBN: 978-0-00-725224-4
Extent (approx.): 320 pages

Imprint: HarperCollins
Rights: OM
Division: HarperFiction
Old 11-17-2007, 10:43 AM   #5
davem
Illustrious Ulair

According to the Harper Collins Tolkien site forum http://www.tolkien.co.uk/forum.aspx?g=posts&t=468 the edition will only be available for sale & delivery within the UK due to publishing rights issues - HC only have the UK publishing rights - though apparently there's nothing to stop foreign publishers (like Houghton Mifflin in the US) bringing out their own 'super deluxe' editions.

Nice investment though (or for selling via Ebay). I'm pretty sure you could get twice what you pay for it straight away of you decide to sell it on. Given what signed firsts of LotR go for its probably worth getting.
Old 11-19-2007, 02:53 PM   #6
davem
Illustrious Ulair

On sale now..... some info

http://store.tolkien.co.uk/

Quote:
THE CHILDREN OF HÚRIN Signed Limited Leather-bound Deluxe Edition

The apex of a Tolkien collection. A work of art to treasure
THE CHILDREN OF H�RIN Signed Limited Leather-bound Deluxe Edition

The Children of Húrin by J.R.R. Tolkien was published for the first time in 2007, the first 'new' tale by J.R.R. Tolkien since The Silmarillion 30 years ago. Edited from Tolkien's various manuscripts by his son, Christopher, and illustrated by Alan Lee, who won an Oscar for his design work on The Lord of the Rings movies, the book was an instant Number 1 bestseller and remained in the Sunday Times Top 10 for four months.

It has already sold more than 1 million copies worldwide in English and is being translated into 42 languages.
Personal touch

Each copy is signed and numbered by Christopher Tolkien & Alan Lee on a bespoke tip-in flyleaf.
Premium production values

The utmost personal care and attention is taken in the production of every single copy to ensure that the aesthetic appearance of the book is of the highest possible quality. Every book is hand bound in the finest quality leather from genuine first edition pages, secured to the spine through hand sewing and meshing in order to ensure lasting durability and strength.

* Strictly limited to just 500 hand-numbered copies
* Fully bound in real Italian leather
* Decorated in gold and red foil
* Raised spine ribs
* Printed on superior acid-free paper
* Hand-sewn binding
* Gold-edged pages
* Marbled endpapers
* Silk ribbon marker

Unique illustrations and fold-out map

The book is 320 pages, and includes 25 pencil illustrations by Alan Lee, plus 9 spectacular full-colour plates inserted at 32-page intervals. It also includes a two-colour fold-out map drawn by Christopher Tolkien himself, who drew the original maps for his father's The Lord of the Rings when it was first published in 1954.
Custom leather clamshell

This special book is housed in a custom-built, hand-assembled clamshell traycase. The clamshell is clad in bonded leather and foil-stamped in gold, lined with real suede, and the package protected in its own shipping carton. This ensures your copy won't get damaged, and provides an attractive way to store and display your purchase.
A unique opportunity
Old 11-19-2007, 03:11 PM   #7
Sauron the White
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I am very pleased to own one of the signed regular edition COH books sold in New York City on the day of release. Happiness is often being satisfied with what you have - not always searching for more.
Old 11-19-2007, 03:19 PM   #8
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Quote:
I am very pleased to own one of the signed regular edition COH books sold in New York City on the day of release. Happiness is often being satisfied with what you have - not always searching for more.
I think of this more as a piece of Tolkien art, rather than simply a 'book'. Its a one-off (ok, a 'five-hundred off'), & I can't help thinking Tolkien would have admired such an 'Elvish' thing....
Old 11-19-2007, 03:37 PM   #9
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
You are lucky. Unfortunately, some of us who have been collecting for many years do not live near New York.

I feel Harper Collins did not handle this well. When people intially signed up to get information on the book (which I did), there was no indication that distribution would be limited to the U.K. This should have been clearly stated at the time. People only discovered this when they went to the page to order the book. Because of this, there are buyers in Europe and North America (and likely elsewhere) who are expressing keen disappointment.

I am wondering how they are going to handle this, as I am assuming that more than 500 people signed up and expressed interest. Certainly, if I was a bookdealer on Abe, I would try to get one or more copies to resell, to say nothing of many private individuals who will try to hawk them on ebay

My own disappointment is tempered by the price of the volume. When you click on the actual website to purchase, the price of the book shows as 350 pounds rather than 300! That is roughly $700. Presumably, the book will go up several hundred dollars higher in the reselling. As such, it is certainly out of the reach of most, even those who collect.

I do not "love" the Children of Hurin in the same way that I "love" the Hobbit or Lord of the Rings. I already have Christopher and Michael's signatures on another book that I purchased for a much more modest sum from the same bookdealer that Davem mentioned in his earlier posts. (Thank you Davem very, very much for that info that led me to that dealer.) So I am also very lucky and will not lose sleep over this. Still, I wish it had been handled differently. Lots of disappointed people....

If an unexpected chunk of money dropped from the heavens, I'd be more apt to spend it on a copy of Hobbit or LotR I didn't have rather than on this title. But I mainly buy books because I love them rather than thinking of turning them over as an investment.
Old 11-19-2007, 04:34 PM   #10
davem
Illustrious Ulair

If you go to order a copy on the site you find the option limited to one or two copies per person, but I don't know if its possible to keep going back for more. Actually, all you need to do is find someone with a UK address, order via the site, & have the book sent on to you - if you're quick enough.

UPDATE - from the FAQ section regarding the edition:

http://store.tolkien.co.uk/?Enc=1&Params=UGFnZUlkPTg=

Quote:
# Can I buy more than two copies of the book?

We want to ensure that as many people around the world as possible have the chance to own a copy of this special edition, which is why we are limiting the purchase of multiple copies to two copies per person.
& I did like this one:

Quote:
# Why doesn�t it include a signature by J.R.R. Tolkien?

Unfortunately Professor Tolkien died in 1973, and we only wanted to include actual genuine signatures in this limited edition rather than scans or copies.

Last edited by davem; 11-19-2007 at 04:43 PM.
Old 11-19-2007, 05:56 PM   #11
Sauron the White
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
# Why doesn�t it include a signature by J.R.R. Tolkien?

Unfortunately Professor Tolkien died in 1973, and we only wanted to include actual genuine signatures in this limited edition rather than scans or copies.
Two years ago there was a movie poster from the Ralph Bakshi LOTR being sold on ebay signed by JRRT himself. Sadly, the same pesky problem of death popped up on that item also. The Bakshi film being made some five years after the demise of the good Professor.

Salvador Dali found a way to beat even death in the signed and numbered business. He signed several thousand pieces of large lithographic quality paper which later had the image printed upon it. Of course, this violates every ethical tenet of the profession. An artists signature is (partially) supposed to indicate that they approve of the quality of the reproduction.

Child of the 7th Age - I do not live anywhere near New York. On the day they announced the sale of the signed books I simply made a post on a site where Tolkien collectors gather offering to pay for someone elses book if they would be good enough to buy one for me. Two people responded. I made a deal with one. And that is how I obtained my signed COH.
Old 11-19-2007, 07:29 PM   #12
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Child of the 7th Age - I do not live anywhere near New York. On the day they announced the sale of the signed books I simply made a post on a site where Tolkien collectors gather offering to pay for someone elses book if they would be good enough to buy one for me. Two people responded. I made a deal with one. And that is how I obtained my signed COH.
Sauron--

Then I applaud your foresight and resourcefulness! I did contact a UK bookstore and ordered an edition signed by Lee for a very reasonable price.

Davem --

Yes, it would be possible to find a friend overseas and use that address if someone wanted a book. My concern wasn't so much that the purchase of the books was restricted by geography. The problem was communication. Everyone who signed up on the site received emails relating to the purchase of the book without any mention of geographical restrictions. On a personal level, the question is academic since 350 pounds is way above my budget!
Old 11-20-2007, 12:15 PM   #13
davem
Illustrious Ulair

For world-wide sale now... (except the US)

From the Harper Collins site:

Quote:
International Orders

For international orders please contact info@store.tolkien.co.uk with details of the product(s) you wish to purchase, your delivery address and a contact phone number or email. A customer service representative will contact you to notify you of availability and international delivery charges. Any Order placed with a customer services representative will be subject to the terms and conditions contained on this website (the 'Terms and Conditions'). By emailing info@store.tolkien.co.uk you will be deemed to have accepted that the Terms and Conditions will apply to any Order.

We regret to say that we are unable to sell the book to customers in the USA as we do not have the publishing rights for that territory.
So, apparently its the fact that Houghton Mifflin own the US publishing rights that means its only going to be unavailable in the US.
Old 11-21-2007, 01:00 AM   #14
davem
Illustrious Ulair

On Ebay already ......

Found this via the Tolkien.co.uk forum http://cgi.ebay.com/TOLKIEN-CHILDREN...QQcmdZViewItem

Being offered at Ł475 (or 'approximately $972') & its not even in the seller's hands yet...
Old 11-21-2007, 01:51 PM   #15
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Just noticed this over on the Tolkien.co.uk forum:
Quote:
Dear Tolkien Community Members,

Since we opened the Tolkien shop yesterday morning, the phenomenal demand for the book outside the UK that has come in over the last 24 hours has shown us that we hadn't planned properly for this exciting new offer. We knew that the support for J.R.R. Tolkien amongst his fans was huge: but it's bigger even than we had gauged, and we now want to give as many of you as we can the chance to buy the book. So, from this point on, the great news is that the book is now on sale across the globe, and details on how to buy it are below.

For fans throughout the rest of the world, we'd like to take this opportunity to sincerely apologise for not having resolved the detail beforehand of how we might sell this special limited edition to you. We simply weren't ready for the overwhelming response to this book - we will be in future, and we are listening to your justifiable concerns. We hope by taking this step we have shown we want to work with the Tolkien community in our publishing.

Unfortunately, the one exception to this is that we are legally restricted from selling copies to residents of the United States. The rights to sell all Tolkien's works in the States are not owned by us, and for us to sell books to his American readers is something we're just unable to do.

If you do want to get your hands on this book, you can email us at info@store.tolkien.co.uk . If you can supply us with the quantity of each of our three products you want, your delivery address and, if you would prefer us to take your order by phone, a contact telephone number, one of our customer services representatives will contact you asap within UK working hours to take your order.

Once again, we're really sorry for any frustration this may have caused, and hope this helps to put things right.

Thanks
Simon Rhodes-Johnson
Executive Business Manager
HarperCollins Publishers
What could be intended by "We simply weren't ready for the overwhelming response to this book - we will be in future, and we are listening to your justifiable concerns."?

Could this reference to 'the future' imply that there are more of these 'super-deluxe' editions to come - a LotR, Hobbit & Sil perhaps?
Old 11-25-2007, 02:50 PM   #16
Sir Kohran
Wight

Sir Kohran has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by davem View Post
Just noticed this over on the Tolkien.co.uk forum:

What could be intended by "We simply weren't ready for the overwhelming response to this book - we will be in future, and we are listening to your justifiable concerns."?

Could this reference to 'the future' imply that there are more of these 'super-deluxe' editions to come - a LotR, Hobbit & Sil perhaps?
It wouldn't surprise me. There's a 'special edition' of pretty much anything successful these days.
Old 11-25-2007, 03:00 PM   #17
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Kohran View Post
It wouldn't surprise me. There's a 'special edition' of pretty much anything successful these days.
It did occur to me (& I mentioned this on another forum) that even if we assume that the overall cost to Harper Collins of materials, production, shipping & the like were to come to, say, Ł150 (it won't - nowhere near - but let's be generous) they would clear (Ł200x500 copies) Ł100,000. One hundred thousand pounds on this edition of CoH.

You'll also find on the 'Contact Us' page that the address to write to is "Tolkien Limited Editions" - note the plural.

Of course, this would be good news for anyone buying this one as an investment - however much a one off limited edition will appreciate in value, one that's part of a limited edition series will appreciate even more.....
Old 11-25-2007, 03:43 PM   #18
Sauron the White
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

The publishers, which deal with the approval of the Tolkien Estate, should be given some type of award at being the worlds best in squeezing every last dime out of material that has been seen over and over again and paid for over and over again.

Paul Simon wrote and sang "Fifty Ways to Leave Your Lover". These folks should adopt as their motto "Fifty Ways to sell you the same product over and over and over again".

I see where the 2008 Tolkien Calendar will feature SIL paintings by one of my favorite illustrators - Ted Naismith. Sadly, every painting will be taken from a book which has sat on our shelves for some time now. No new paintings were commissioned. Why spend money when you have a press in the basement ready to turn out newly minted bills at your whim?
Old 11-25-2007, 04:18 PM   #19
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Quote:
The publishers, which deal with the approval of the Tolkien Estate, should be given some type of award at being the worlds best in squeezing every last dime out of material that has been seen over and over again and paid for over and over again.

Paul Simon wrote and sang "Fifty Ways to Leave Your Lover". These folks should adopt as their motto "Fifty Ways to sell you the same product over and over and over again".
Quite - but nobody has to buy it. Everyone who buys this edition knows exactly what they're getting - in this case an investment or a work of Tolkien related art. Whatever you think of HC's/The Tolkien Estate's repeated offering of this tale you can't argue that this won't be a unique one off edition of CoH. HC must have at least half a dozen different editions of LotR & TH in Paperback & hardback both (with a new paperback edition out next April to match the CoH paperback - all with the Lee illustrations). All in all, there will be four different editions of CoH, & two different editions (HB & PB) of UT - less than either LotR or TH. BTW - as far as I'm aware the illustrated LotR paperbacks will be the 50th anniversary text - unlike the Lee illustrated HB which has the older 1992 text, unrevised by Hammond & Scull - so it will be yet another one that collectors will want...(& then, I've no doubt, we'll see a new HB illustrated edition with the 50th ann. text...)

Quote:
I see where the 2008 Tolkien Calendar will feature SIL paintings by one of my favorite illustrators - Ted Naismith. Sadly, every painting will be taken from a book which has sat on our shelves for some time now. No new paintings were commissioned. Why spend money when you have a press in the basement ready to turn out newly minted bills at your whim?
I wondered about that - of course, over the last few years we've seen Hobbit, LotR & CoH calendars, so The Sil was next in line, & if they have some paitings available why not use them - they've only appeared so far in the deluxe special edition HB.

Unless we can draw from the decision to produce a Sil calendar that the next 'super de-luxe' edition will be The Sil, next year?
Old 11-26-2007, 08:38 AM   #20
Sauron the White
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

davem ... yes you are correct in that nobody has to buy anything they do not want to. That is a given. And if collectors - or even non-collectors want to shell out money for something they already have in a slightly different format, then thats the free marketplace being exercised. I have no problem with that and certainly do not want to legislate against any such thing.

My problem is the readiness of such a market and the willingness of the collector also works against people like myself who want to see something new and different. After all, if a SIL calendar with old Naismith paintings sells well, why should the publishers pay him a couple of grand per new illustration? The one obvious reason is that many want to see new work. But this is a business and the key ruling power in business is the bottom line. Paying Ted Naismith or anyone else several thousand dollars for a new painting is just not good business from their perspective.

I do understand that some people are buying not a book with the Deluxe version of COH but are making an investment. Truthfully, I feel no more sympathy for them than I do someone buying stocks or bonds and expecting a generous return. I buy nothing for such purposes. I buy for my enjoyment and because I want to own such things.
Old 11-26-2007, 09:08 AM   #21
William Cloud Hicklin
Loremaster of Annúminas

William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Well, StW, there may well be those who would like to have the Naismith pictures for rather less dough than shelling out for yet another copy of The Silmarillion. In making them available at a lower price, the publishers aren't doing anything different, in principle, than releasing a book in paperback.

Myself I don't get very hopped up about 'collectible value'- I'm a stocks-and-bonds kinda guy- and possessing a book (or bookplate) with a signature the author cranked out assembly-line fashion doesn't have much personal value for me- certainly not anything like Christopher's signatures at the bottom of his letters.
Old 11-26-2007, 10:13 AM   #22
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Cloud Hickli View Post
Myself I don't get very hopped up about 'collectible value'- I'm a stocks-and-bonds kinda guy- and possessing a book (or bookplate) with a signature the author cranked out assembly-line fashion doesn't have much personal value for me- certainly not anything like Christopher's signatures at the bottom of his letters.
Afraid if I bought this thing it would be purely for setting aside for a couple of years & then selling on. I fear that (to me at least) it has no inherent value - but then I'm not a collector as such. Which is not to deny that in itself its a very nice thing.

Of course, recieving letters from CT would be a superior thing to simply owning a copy of a book(plate) signed by him, but we are not all in that enviable position. That said, signed copies have their own value to collectors. I don't see this as any different to buying a signed limited edition Alan Lee print - its a collectible which should appreciate in value.
Old 11-26-2007, 11:58 AM   #23
Sauron the White
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

WCH - so the publishers are performing something akin to an act of charity by releasing the Naismith pictures in a different format? They are not doing this for pure monetary gain and to increase corporate profits but to assist the poor JRRT fan who dearly wants to have the Naismith pictures but had to make a choice between a watch chain and a hair brush for a family member and had no money remaining?

I admire your debating skills WCH. You should go into political work where a mind that can work like that is suitable rewarded. And that is said with a smile.
Old 11-26-2007, 12:53 PM   #24
William Cloud Hicklin
Loremaster of Annúminas

William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
StW:
They're doing both- they are satisfying a perceived market need. Certain Tolkien fans get the pictures for less, and H/C makes money. Win-win.

No business is in it for charity- but that doesn't mean that they're not offering value for money. Consumer choice is a good thing.
Old 11-26-2007, 03:14 PM   #25
Sauron the White
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I do understand your point William although I fall more on the cynical side of this question while you seem to fall on the optimistic side. Perhaps all I wanted was for the publishers to follow through on their own precedent set with the COH calendar for 2008 in which they did include some new illustrations which were not in the book. Four new SIL paintings would have put a smile upon my face and make the fifteen dollars a lot easier to part with.
Old 11-26-2007, 03:44 PM   #26
davem
Illustrious Ulair

StW. I think you're missing the point - they could sell the last two Alan Lee calendars: LotR on the strength of the movies & the Sketchbook, & CoH on the strength of the movies & the book. They won't bring out a Hobbit themed calendar till the Hobbit movie makes an appearance - so that leaves them to come up with an economic (ie cheap) fill in - & there's all those nice Naismith paintings available......

Personally I would have loved them to have commissioned Alan Lee to produce a Smith of Wooton Major calendar, but with Tolkien out of the limelight at the moment (no movie or new book) HC are not going to bother spending unnecessary money.

(Plus, the paintings will be reproduced in a larger size than in the book)
Old 11-26-2007, 04:13 PM   #27
Sauron the White
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

davem .. yes I will appreciate the fact that the Naismith paintings are twice or or more from the book... and that is a good thing.

And I do get the point. Always have. The point here is the precious bottom line. You put it well here

Quote:
HC are not going to bother spending unnecessary money.
But I still would have liked four new Naismith illustrations.
Old 11-26-2007, 04:33 PM   #28
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Quote:
davem .. yes I will appreciate the fact that the Naismith paintings are twice or or more from the book... and that is a good thing.
Yes, but fans like to collect - I have half a dozen editions of LotR (the HM & HC 50th anniversary deluxe eds, the HC 3 vol 50th anniversary text hardbacks, the Alan Lee illustrated HB, my original 3 vol PB A&U slipcased edition from '76 & a 1966 A&U first edition text 3 volume HB set) & Lal owns more (mostly PB editions which she likes to collect). I don't considemyself to have been 'ripped off' - in fact, I'll probably buy more, if I find any I like. Same with TH & The Sil. We've got the standard & de-luxe CoH, plus the audio book, & I'll probably buy the PB too next year. We've also got both the Naismith illustrated Sil's - the original with 24 plates & the subsequent edition with the extra 20 odd paintings. And we'll also get the calendar, purely because we like Tolkien stuff. It would have been nice to have some new paintings, but I'm not getting het up about it.

(btw, we own 3 complete sets of HoM-e - 2 paperback sets, one upstairs, one down, & my slipcased 3 volume HB set).

Last edited by davem; 11-26-2007 at 04:56 PM.
Old 11-26-2007, 06:19 PM   #29
Sauron the White
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

davem ... I must join you in pleading guilty to owning multiple editions of many JRRT books. In my case, it goes back to first US editions of both THE HOBBIT and all three LOTR and then it only gets worse.

During the 1960's, at the height of all the political unrest, there was a saying - "you are either part of the solution or part of the problem". If indeed the Tolkien Estate and its designated publishers are kept in pools of money because of constant reissues of the same material, then I am afraid that you and I - and I would guess many others here - are indeed part of the problem.

I guess the first step is admitting you have a problem. I know I do. I just like a bit of new to help me rationalize it from time to time.
Old 12-08-2007, 05:32 PM   #30
davem
Illustrious Ulair

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...ayphotohosting

Offered at $2,750 ....

Of course, its still available from the Harper Collins site for Ł350.....

On the book itself, having seen the pictures on the page I have to say I'm glad I didn't bother - just doesn't seem all that 'special' really.
Old 11-20-2008, 06:21 AM   #31
ChildOfHurin
Newly Deceased

ChildOfHurin has just left Hobbiton.
10% off at official Tolkien Store

Hello guys,

Sorry if this comes across as spam(and sorry for bumping an old thread) but this offer might be of interest to people in this thread.

I'm a representitive of Harper Collins who is trying to spread the word about the relaunch of the Tolkien Store.

We still have some LE signed Children of Hurin books left:
http://tolkien.co.uk/Pages/ProductDe...4&viral=offer1

and signed editions of Tales Of The Perilous Realm:
http://tolkien.co.uk/Pages/ProductDe...9&viral=offer1

The important thing is that I have access to a promotional code that will give you 10% off any book. This is a quick promotion so it is only available until the end of Sunday! The code is TOLK02

Hope this info is useful to someone!

Rachael
ChildOfHurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 03:58 AM   #32
ChildOfHurin
Newly Deceased

Just another little note to let everyone know that voucher code offer has now been extended until Christmas.

A good chance to buy that Christmas present for yourself?

Rachael
Old 11-28-2008, 04:48 AM   #33
ChildOfHurin
Newly Deceased

Ooops....another note!

The official Tolkien Store is currently having a few problems, but will be back online soon.

Rachael
Old 01-12-2009, 07:52 AM   #34
ChildOfHurin
Newly Deceased

Tolkien Store January Sale commences...

And yet another note (if anyone is still checking this thread)

As part of the the January Sale, I can offer you guys another promotional code, this time for 30% off! The code is TOLK31

A great way to use your Christmas money, right now we have deluxe versions
of Tales From The Perilous Realm and Children of Hurin, both which will be considerably cheaper with the discount applied!

Tales from the Perilous Realm
http://tolkien.co.uk/Pages/ProductDe...rketing=offer3

The Children of Hurin
http://tolkien.co.uk/Pages/ProductDe...rketing=offer3

Happy spending!