The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2012, 03:02 PM   #2921
Galadriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Galadriel has just left Hobbiton.
I also assign stress.
Old 02-27-2012, 07:26 PM   #2922
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I assign disorganised teachers that make you stay afterschool to make up a test and then forget to leave a test for you.
Old 03-10-2012, 09:38 AM   #2923
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
unconsciously leaving your deodorant in the refrigerator all night.

Not that it's awful, but I'm concerned of how mindless you have to be leaving objects in the fridge...that shouldn't go there. Car keys and remotes are one thing...but your deodorant? I'm scared.
Old 03-10-2012, 10:48 AM   #2924
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Aw, Boro, at least the fridge smells nice...

Leaving objects in the weirdest places is just like me. I do worse things, sometimes; I look for objects that I'm holding in my hand. I do that all the time, and it's the most annoying time-wasting thing to do. And it's also embarassing when you can't find something in class and start panicking and asking around, and after everyone says apologetically that they haven't seen it you realise that you're already holding it...

I also assign my sister's habit of dumping books where she reads them. She reads no more than 3 at a time, yet the kitchen, the living room, the car, her bedroom, and even some closets are littered with her books. Moreover, when she reads she bends the spine. Wherever I go I see ugly bent up books. She started reading the Felloship about half a year ago, but she doesn't know where it is now. To look for it I'd have to turn over the entire house. No wonder she lost it!

Last edited by Galadriel55; 03-10-2012 at 02:42 PM.
Galadriel55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 11:34 AM   #2925
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Spine bending should go to Mordor, definitely. Sometimes, a spine gets damaged over time, you can't help that, but to do it deliberately makes me wince. I used to scan books for the guy I used to work with (he is blind) and of course paperbacks had to be broken in order to go on the scanner. He used to laugh at me wincing and break them for me first - I had to go and make a pot of tea while he did it. On the other hand, my brother used to go mad when I borrowed his Tolkien books in case I damaged them, and my mum had to make sure we had a set each - they still ended up bashed and broken though. It's a sad life, being a paperback book.
Old 03-10-2012, 04:27 PM   #2926
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boromir88 View Post
unconsciously leaving your deodorant in the refrigerator all night.

Not that it's awful, but I'm concerned of how mindless you have to be leaving objects in the fridge...that shouldn't go there. Car keys and remotes are one thing...but your deodorant? I'm scared.
I've never had mine in the fridge, but I've used cold deodorant before and it isn't pleasant.

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 05:17 PM   #2927
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddwen View Post
I've never had mine in the fridge, but I've used cold deodorant before and it isn't pleasant.
Makes me wonder what Boro did with the beer.
Old 03-11-2012, 10:50 AM   #2928
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

I assign daylight savings time. Vile, vile thing. Just leave the time alone, will you? It works well enough without people muddling with it. Europeans have it the right way. DOWN DOWN WITH DST!
Old 03-11-2012, 11:04 AM   #2929
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
I assign daylight savings time. Vile, vile thing. Just leave the time alone, will you? It works well enough without people muddling with it. Europeans have it the right way. DOWN DOWN WITH DST!
Hah, not in the UK, they want to impose even more 'daylight savings' on us so we have no GMT any more, despite the fact that north of Birmingham it wouldn't get light until 10am in winter and then be dark by 4 anyway, so we'd spend our lives outside work and school in darkness. So I'm going to be like Ned Stark and send southern-centric decisions to Mordor too
Old 03-11-2012, 12:43 PM   #2930
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Quote:
Wasn't Germany the first place to introduce "daylight saving time"?

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 01:15 PM   #2931
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
We have DST and every so often Parliament debates moving forward to GMT+1 and "Double summer time" . France I know has DST (though confusingly I don't think they change at the same time as us). I have a friend whe maintains the whole problem in the UK could be resolved buy merely extending Summer time for all but December and January... but he is a card carrying eccentric (even by my standards) so I don't know if he is right or just a bit crazy....

However when I went around America by train after I graduated I lost track of time on the long haul legs - I went from Seattle to New York with only a very short break in transit in and 3 overnights on the train. I had a watch with dual time so I always knew what time it was at home but for where I was I wasn't confident withing 2 hours...

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 07:57 PM   #2932
Galadriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
AGREED. *waves flag dramatically*
Old 03-20-2012, 06:14 PM   #2933
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Spring allergies.

When the first and the last reps in your UserCP are blank.
Old 03-20-2012, 10:52 PM   #2934
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Spring allergies.
I understand wholly. I have been ill and tired and generally feeling terrible since last Sunday. We had to go get not one, but three medicines for cold/allergy/flu/whatever. Two of them were for the allergies, one for the extra cold-on-the-side-thing, and I still can't breathe. The worst part about this is that it is now a two-week break from school and everything terrible, and I am ill. This always happens. I assign [I]that[I] to Mordor.
Old 03-21-2012, 12:54 AM   #2935
Mrs. Boffin
Newly Deceased

Mrs. Boffin has just left Hobbiton.
I would assign bullies to Mordor. Any bullies. Schoolyard, workplace, religious, political...I don't respect those who think they should be allowed to pick on people who are different or weaker.
Mrs. Boffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 12:03 PM   #2936
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatElvenWarrior View Post
I understand wholly. I have been ill and tired and generally feeling terrible since last Sunday. We had to go get not one, but three medicines for cold/allergy/flu/whatever. Two of them were for the allergies, one for the extra cold-on-the-side-thing, and I still can't breathe. The worst part about this is that it is now a two-week break from school and everything terrible, and I am ill. This always happens. I assign [I]that[I] to Mordor.
Oh my!... My case is nothing compared to yours. I don't take any medications. I just have a runny nose and itchy throat and eyes for about a month. Not as bad as what you're having, though. And I'm still anticipating an increase in it, since things are just starting to bloom...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Boffin
I would assign bullies to Mordor. Any bullies. Schoolyard, workplace, religious, political...I don't respect those who think they should be allowed to pick on people who are different or weaker.
Quite an orcish thing indeed.
Old 03-25-2012, 04:59 PM   #2937
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
I assign disagreements that by all reason should be trivial matters, yet still manage to cause bitterness and acrimony beyond any predictable level.
Old 03-25-2012, 05:13 PM   #2938
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Julian Fellowes. I've watched him manage to turn the story of Titanic into Crossroads tonight. He needs to spend a long time editing all his scripts and Mordor is now a quiet place to do so.
Old 03-28-2012, 01:12 PM   #2939
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Panic buying.
Old 03-28-2012, 01:46 PM   #2940
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Seconded. I am now having to decide if I use what petrol I have left looking for an open petrol station or conserve it and hope it calms down. But there are only 2 petrol stations in a town of over 25k people.

Old 04-27-2012, 03:07 PM   #2941
Galadriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Boffin View Post
I don't respect those who think they should be allowed to pick on people who are different or weaker.
Lol, I think it's the bully who's really weaker. There's no such thing, IMO, as a superiority complex - just a badly covered inferiority complex.
Old 04-30-2012, 12:23 PM   #2942
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Having one day in the week when you can sleep in, and spending the entire night completely unable to sleep.

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:14 AM   #2943
MCRmyGirl4eva
Shade of Carn Dűm

MCRmyGirl4eva has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

Fans of any Disney Star (Justin Bieber, Miley Cyrus, Jonas Brothers, etc.)

The Disney Stars themselves

Bad pro wrestlers (Like CM Punk: Undertaker, Rey Mysterio, and Edge are safe.)

Lady Gaga

Lady Gaga fans

My sister (love ya, K!)

My aunt's church (There's religion, then there's overkill. You don't need to go 3 times a week!)

All Math teachers. Geometry sucks.

My freshman year science teacher. (If I knew what to do next, I wouldn't ask for help. Standing there saying "OK, you've done this and this, what do you do next" isn't going to help!)

I like vegtables... don't send them to Mordor. Send Feta cheese instead...
Old 05-03-2012, 03:24 PM   #2944
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Samantha Brick can go to Mordor. She really will be the most beautiful woman around there.
Old 06-03-2012, 01:40 PM   #2945
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

People who trade in their brains when they get a sat nav. Who won't listen to simple directions and say they will use the sat nav even when they previously got very lost and nearly missed a funeral following the sat nav when three simple directions would have got them there....especially when they always want you to find the postcodes for them.. and especially when they posess a Duke of Edinburgh Gold Award and have done a four day expedition in remote terrain and there fore should reasonably be expected to read a streetmap...not that you need one for this particular journey. Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhh hhhh

Old 06-03-2012, 02:09 PM   #2946
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

I know exactly what you mean! People follow their sat nas (or GPSs, as we call them here) like robots. Plus, those GPSs are often outdated, or they don't show things to the detail that you need. And if the GPS gets the route right, it's probably a route by the slowest and least convenient streets - when you can go just a block farther but get there much faster as a result. And the most annoying thing about the latest inventions is that they speak! Every two seconds in that annoying voice: "right turn in: 200m", "right turn in: 100m", "right turn in: 50m"....just shut it already! We get the point!

I think that if you need something to tell you which way to turn in X meters, you really shouldn't be at the wheel.
Old 06-03-2012, 02:30 PM   #2947
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

I swear I am tempted to get the post code of somewhere up a narrow lane... what is so hard about take the second turn on the right after the roundabout? Is that so difficult? Fair enough I can see it might be useful in some circumstances but this person comes down here regularly and everytime she whines for post codes for places that don't have them because they are in a forest or a fort on a spit in the sea and they are all well signposted. Gah..

Old 06-03-2012, 05:37 PM   #2948
MCRmyGirl4eva
Shade of Carn Dűm

Sting

I assign people who buy costumes for Halloween, rather than making their own. And people with cutsy costumes; it takes all the fun out of Halloween! and cheaping out on candy, that too. It's not a fun-size candy bar unless it's big enough to conceal a razor blade!

Yeah, I've begun working on my costume, in case you haven't noticed... (The Witch-King of Angmar)
Old 06-03-2012, 05:42 PM   #2949
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

You are making me a little nervous here... is this early preparation for this year or harbouring resentment from last and "big enough to hide a razor blade in" is a somewhat sinister reference unit of measurement....

Old 06-05-2012, 11:48 AM   #2950
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

The obsession of children aged 3-12 with Pokemon. The attachment has it in a nutshell.
Attached Images
File Type: png Pokemon.png (92.3 KB, 318 views)
Old 06-05-2012, 09:33 PM   #2951
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The bottom of the ocean, discussing philosophy with a giant squid
Meneltarmacil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I'd like to assign calculus to Mordor, along with my calculus professor from last semester.
Old 06-06-2012, 03:14 AM   #2952
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Quote:
The obsession of children aged 3-12 with Pokemon. The attachment has it in a nutshell.
What? Is Pokemon *still* going?
Old 06-06-2012, 07:31 AM   #2953
MCRmyGirl4eva
Shade of Carn Dűm

Leaf

New Pokemon suck. Send then to Mordor. I loved Pokemon when I was little, then it turned to $h!t. You turn around and ask a 10 year old what they think of Charmander, and they're like; Who? Sauron and his orcs and men can play with Pokemon cards and watch the sucky new episodes.

Meowth ROCKS!

Pika-Pika, peeps

Quote:
You are making me a little nervous here... is this early preparation for this year or harbouring resentment from last and "big enough to hide a razor blade in" is a somewhat sinister reference unit of measurement....
^ Last year, we had a huge snowstorm here in New England, and trick-or-treating was rescheduled for the next Saturday. It sucked, and only about 15 people had candy. I always make my own costumes, and all that work was barely even worth it last year.

Last edited by MCRmyGirl4eva; 06-06-2012 at 07:36 AM.
MCRmyGirl4eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 08:51 AM   #2954
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meneltarmacil View Post
I'd like to assign calculus to Mordor, along with my calculus professor from last semester.
What? Nooo!!! Calculus is fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerwen View Post
What? Is Pokemon *still* going?
Well, it's died down a little bit where I am. At least I don't see kids running around comparing cards that say Pokemon on them.
Old 06-06-2012, 11:17 AM   #2955
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
So this thread's still going strong.

I assign Texas summer heat to Mordor. Blech!
littlemanpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 11:24 AM   #2956
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
The Eye

Good heavens, you're in Texas???

I assign audits and inspections and the related stress to Mordor.
Old 06-06-2012, 12:57 PM   #2957
MCRmyGirl4eva
Shade of Carn Dűm

White Tree

I assign the suckiness of walking out of school to beautiful weather, then having it be sprinkiling as your bus drives home, the walking from the bus stop to your apartment in POURING FREAKING RAIN that soaks all the way through your coat and your shirt.

A little rain doesn't bother me, but this was more than a little rediculous. I walked inside, and the first thing out of my sister's mouth was; "Hey, look! The drowned rat's home!"
Old 06-06-2012, 02:34 PM   #2958
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemanpoet View Post
So this thread's still going strong.
Always something or someone that makes you grit your teeth together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elempi
I assign Texas summer heat to Mordor. Blech!
I assign utter lack of summer heat in Toronto.
Old 06-06-2012, 04:13 PM   #2959
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Yes, there's always something in the world to upset us all

I assign whoever invented the following: polystyrene, shrink wrap packaging, Discovery fajita spice mix, and my new bugbear - coathangers.
Old 06-06-2012, 07:52 PM   #2960
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
If I can have "lack of summer heat" in Toronto, take me there! Even if it is in Mordor!

Oh, and every time it rains in Texas, it hails too, and threatens to tornado. So hail and tornadoes can be assigned to Mordor, too.
littlemanpoet is offline   Reply With Quote