The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-07-2002, 08:18 PM   #1
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Rose Cotton has just left Hobbiton.
Sting How do you get hooked to a book?

How do you get hooked to a book? Imediate action? Lots of diologe? Beautiful discription? Somthing short and ovious? What keeps you reading?
Old 02-07-2002, 08:46 PM   #2
Aralaithiel
Ghost Eldaran Queen

Aralaithiel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I like an author that engages his/her reader, by practically including them in the story from the get-go. Action is very good, but I need for it to have a purpose. I also like authors that I can argue with. I do not care for verbage just to fill pages. I like the things I read to have a purpose. Descriptions that attempt to appeal to every sense are a real plus as well. [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]
Old 02-08-2002, 12:04 AM   #3
Mayla Took
Wight

Mayla Took has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Mayla Took
Thumbs up

What attracts me is what Christopher Tolkien calls "A sense of depth" in the story. Such as J. R. R. Tolkien has. You assume that there is an immense history behind the plot! I just love that! I also like new species and "magic." I also enjoy the mystery in a plot!
Bilbo to Merry and Pippin

"Fool of a Took! This is a serious journey, not a hobbit walking-party. Throw yourself in next time, and then you will be no further nuisance. Now be quiet!"
Gandalf to Pippin in Moria

E-mail me at mailto:ThirdAgeHobbit@hotmail.comThirdAgeHobbit@hotmail.com</A>
Oh, and please rate me. THANKS!
Mayla Took is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2002, 02:10 AM   #4
Iaurquelleien

Silmaril

I love the depth of the characters, the strength of their friendships and how he shows them changing throughout the course of the quest.

I also love the way he created and entire language and parts of several others. Tolkien was, and always will be a genius.
Old 02-08-2002, 03:54 AM   #5
Rosa Underhill
Shade of Carn Dûm

Rosa Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Rosa Underhill
Sting

Well, first, I pick up the book. Then, I open it to the first page...and I start reading... [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Seriously: a lot of different things. I like lots of description, (half the stuff I know about what things look like, faces for example, comes from reading good book descriptions). It was tough at first to read Tolkien, but now that I'm used to the incredibly wonderful detail of the places I am very happy.

But books can still be good if there are good characters. I want folk I can believe exist. I want to feel like I know them, like I've been traveling with them the whole time. I got that with LotR and Lloyd Alexander's wonderful "Chronicles of Prydain". Action isn't such a big thing for me; one of my all-time favorite books has almost none. ("The Only Alien On the Planet" by Kristen D. Randle.)

Throw in a dragon (or a dinosaur substitute) and I'm a happy camper! (Note: I dislike Ann McCaffrey greatly despite her dragons. Her plots are flat and her characters dull, predictable and too single minded about sex.) Give me Smaug, give me Frank Peretti's absolutely terrifying dragon of Hyde River, give me Isla Sorna and Isla Nublar's fauna and I am happy! *contented smile, runs to grab "The Oath" off the bookshelf*
Old 02-08-2002, 03:57 AM   #6
Everard Bracegirdle

Pipe

A good book? It reveals something that I need to hear, and carries me on its wings to new places. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 02-08-2002, 05:53 AM   #7
avarrogion
Wight

avarrogion has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to avarrogion
Sting

Well i got hook to a book by reading and gathering a lot of info on it 1st. Thats how!!
Old 02-09-2002, 02:16 PM   #8
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

I was just wondering. 'Lord of the Rings', 'Harry Potter', 'The Chronicles of Narnia', and 'His Dark Materials' are all good books (at least I think they are) and they are also all series.Do you think it matters a little whether the story is a series or If it's one book?
Old 02-10-2002, 12:18 AM   #9
Rosa Underhill
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

I don't think it matters. "The Oath" is one of the best books I've yet read and it's not a series. (Thank goodness! I don't think i could handle another Hyde River dragon!) Some books are good series, some are not. It's all up to the author and depends upon the reader.
Old 02-10-2002, 08:08 AM   #10
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Question

Ya thats what I thought. Just checking. What's 'The Oath' about?
Old 02-10-2002, 01:20 PM   #11
Callaedriel

Sting

a book has to entice me in [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] same goes for rose, all i have to do is pick a book, open to first page then i fall in.

if a book cant transport me to another world, then it doesnt work for me. i never read LOTR till now after the movie, cos i tried to read the hobbit and fell out of it half way several different times, but i forced myself to read the hobbit this time and got thru. then now i am reading the LOTR and it s a fascinating read. i guess when i was a teen, i wasn't into it. now i am in twenties, so i guess it works for me cos i appreciate the books better than i did in teens [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-10-2002, 05:15 PM   #12
Rosa Underhill
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

"The Oath" is about a guy, I think his name was Steve Benson but it's been a while since I've read it, who's brother was killed by what everyone thinks is a bear. But, when the body is examined, it's not a bear that did the killing. Feeling a need to know, Steve goes to the small town of Hyde River, near to which the killing occured.

He finds himself in the midst of a deep mystery involving the small town and no one will tell him what's going on. The book is very long and very detailed. There is a lot of "boring" background information, but if you can get to the half-way point of the book, it starts getting very interesting and very scary. Don't read it too late at night, though.
Old 02-11-2002, 06:02 AM   #13
Bad Fairy
Pile O'Bones

Bad Fairy has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I dont think it makes any difference at all if a book is one singular peice or part of a series, if a book grabs your attention and imagination it dosent matter how long or short they are. Of course, if its a great book you dont want it to end so being part of a series can help there !!!
For ALL face now the Burning Times."
- L. A. Hussey
Bad Fairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2002, 12:50 AM   #14
ripcurlgirl

Ring

A good book to me has to have a good plot and a LOT of description. It also has to be hard to read because I read too fast. Thats why I love LOTR, cos it took me weeks to read the first one!
Old 02-12-2002, 01:01 PM   #15
Aprylien
Pile O'Bones

Aprylien has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

To me, a good book is one that has enough description in it to make me "see" the scene as an actual place that I can go to in my mind anytime I like. I had a vision of The Shire, Rivendell, etc. long before I saw the movie. And a book that gives me insight into the way the character thinks and why they relate to the other characters the way they do is a plus.
Old 02-13-2002, 10:44 AM   #16
Eruhen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Eruhen has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I think that a book has to have a good beginning and keep me hooked through the book. It also has to have a reason for me to read it, such as deeper, spiritual meaning, rave reviews, and/or a great storyline. Having a book being part of a series is always a plus, because the author can take more time for detail and description, though I think that too much detail and description and not enough story will kill a story like nobody's business.

It's kinda wierd how that the books I think are great (LotR, "Chronicles of Narnia", Roger Zelazny's "Amber" series, and the "Left Behind" books) are all series. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] Who cares though? [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Eruhen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2002, 06:41 PM   #17
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ring

Has anyone here consitered writing a story and having it profesionaly published? We'll I'd like to. That's why I asked what you like about books. I didn't want to tell you before because I thought it would sound kinda stupid, wanting to write. And I don't mean a fan fiction. I want to write my own story. So anyway if I do write a story dose anyone have any more suggestions?
Old 02-16-2002, 06:54 PM   #18
Elven-Maiden
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elven-Maiden has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

The best way to get hooked to a book is to read all the descriptions, spend a few moments visulaizing it, and then as you go off to sleep, pretend you're living it. That'll get ya hooked! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

btw, I strongly suggest writing a book! Personally, I don't like fanfic much, because it often lacks originality, and the main character is what the authour would love to be, and often marries her/himself to the character of her/his dreams. Original stories rock! When you get it published, I want an autographed copy! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Mobilis in Mobile
Elven-Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2002, 07:40 PM   #19
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

That sounds cool.
Old 02-16-2002, 10:53 PM   #20
Rosa Underhill
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Quote:
I thought it would sound kinda stupid, wanting to write
*gasp* BLASPHEMY!!! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Just kidding! Wanting to write your own book is far from stupid, Rose. I have several stories in the works (all scattered through about seven notebooks worth of pertinent information and old ideas); I, too, hope to someday be published. A good book you should look for is "Get That Novel Started (And Keep It Going 'Til You Finish" by Donna Levin. It's an excellent book full of tips and tricks for budding writers.

Quote:
Personally, I don't like fanfic much
Can I hug you, Elven-maiden? I agree fully with what you said, (though I have found, perhaps...three exceptions to the "bad fanfic" rule). I do like a good parody, though. (I'm working on some really corny cross-over fic between "The Matrix" and LotR. I blame Hugo Weaving.) [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 02-17-2002, 09:50 AM   #21
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

So Rosa, are you writing fantasy stories or more to real life kinda stuff. I have to have a world of my own to work with. And it's cool because the world in my story will have no humans. Just angels and animals. How about you?
Old 02-17-2002, 11:50 AM   #22
Elven-Maiden
Shade of Carn Dûm

Shield

Quote:
Originally posted by Rosa Underhill:
<STRONG>

Can I hug you, Elven-maiden? I agree fully with what you said, (though I have found, perhaps...three exceptions to the "bad fanfic" rule). I do like a good parody, though. (I'm working on some really corny cross-over fic between "The Matrix" and LotR. I blame Hugo Weaving.) [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]</STRONG>
Parodies are fun! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

A really good fantasy book I read is called The Hidden World by Alison Baird. It deals with Celtic mythology, and it was my fav. until I came across LotR, and it's a single-volume story. I recommend that you just start writing, and write until your story's done. Don't worry about length at all. Let your editor and publisher do that [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Mobilis in Mobile
Old 02-17-2002, 11:19 PM   #23
Rosa Underhill
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Quote:
So Rosa, are you writing fantasy stories or more to real life kinda stuff. I have to have a world of my own to work with. And it's cool because the world in my story will have no humans. Just angels and animals. How about you?
Fantasy all the way! Until recently, my reality was not a fun place to live in. Mine is world sung into existence by Sion and peopled with Dragons, Griffins, a race known as Fyrru and Men (considered weakest of the races). Most of my stories thus far center around a human main character but the others play a major role (typically the dragons).

And I have several unrelated story ideas that I come up with just for fun or that were dream inspired (like the short play I'm writing entitled "Choices").
Old 02-18-2002, 04:04 PM   #24
Elven-Maiden
Shade of Carn Dûm

Shield

Wow! There are so many budding writers here!

I have to read some of your work! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Mobilis in Mobile
Old 02-18-2002, 09:00 PM   #25
Rosa Underhill
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

I was forcefully attacked by a parody idea this morning. I already have a page and a half of LotR name changes for it. So far, the one person I've given some of the details to seems to think it's lame (it doesn't take much to amuse me, though).

I was reading "Bored of the Rings" (which I am finding dull, overdone, dirty and lame) and was thinking that there's got to be better than that. Then this morning, since I didn't sleep at all last night, I needed some coffee and, thus, "The Lord of the Beans" has begun.

Here's some of the names:
Bordtotears (Boromir)
Frydo Baggedin (Frodo)
Beanwraiths/Nazdrool (guess! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img])
Scholarman the Witty/of Many Classes (Saruman)
Boredor (Mordor)
Middle-class (Middle-earth)
etc., etc.

So, what do you think? Should I keep going with this lil' idea?
Old 02-19-2002, 08:54 PM   #26
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

*falls over laughing* i love those names.
I wanted to draw a map for my world but I was bad at it so i thought of somthing. I gonna have my land masses look like pangaea. You know when all the contenints were conected. Just felt like telling you that. Have you ever consitered writing a verson of LotR with yourself tagging along. I've tried to do that. I get to go with the Hobbits on thier adventures. Actually i just daydreem about it. I'll sit down for awhile and just imagine i'm there with Frodo. Does that sound weird?
Old 02-20-2002, 01:00 PM   #27
Rosa Underhill
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Quote:
Have you ever consitered writing a verson of LotR with yourself tagging along
Sam, Frodo and Gollum would all team up and push me in the Cracks of Doom if I went with them. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Or they'd forget the Ring and just sic me on Sauron.

Rosa: (comes running at Sauron with Bible in hand)
Sauron: O.O' [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

I'm glad you liked the names, Rose! Here's one more that popped up yesterday:

El Rond ("The name's Rond. El Rond.") *ducks flying tomato*

I may still write the parody, I dunno. Currently, I'm wondering about the other adventures some hobbit lads and lasses had in the Old Tooks younger days when Gandalf still frequented the Shire (before that infamous incident involving a Ring). Wondering if there were ever any unicorns in Middle-earth (thanks Rankin/Bass)... [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 07-20-2003, 09:42 AM   #28
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

It depends on the genre. I get hooked to fantasy books either if they have a plotline that appeals to me, or if they feature an appendix (as Lotr does) or any additional maps/information.
The appendices are the only part of Lotr that holds any interest for me, apart from the Council Of Elrond chapter.

I get hooked to historical novels that feature a particular character or historical event that I have an interest in. For example, I would read a book based around the French Revolution, but not a book based around the American Civil War. I would look at a book about Anne Boleyn, but not one about Mary Queen of Scots.

Once I begin reading a book, I suppose the plotline and dialogue does come into it. But I never usually stop reading a book, because I only pick up books that I know I am going to enjoy. But I have encountered a few books that I have stopped reading before the end because the plot didn't interest me, or I couldn't stand a character or the way it was written.

[ July 20, 2003: Message edited by: Meela ]
Old 07-20-2003, 02:59 PM   #29
Ophelia
Wight

Ophelia has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Firstly I am picky in reading books . I choose books that are good , as I am told , or if I have seen a movie that I like (very much) and that is based on a book I read that book and so I definetly have to read books related to that book and so on and so on ... [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] ( The longest chain is 6 books) . But that is just picky me . [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 07-20-2003, 03:30 PM   #30
Niluial
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Niluial has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Niluial Send a message via MSN to Niluial
Pipe

What hooks me…? The first line or page must grab me with words of depth! If I don’t like the first page I book the book down… I suppose it is just the way I am [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img].

First Lines/Paragraphs That Grabbed Me:

The Hobbit:

In a HOLE in the ground there lived a hobbit. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a hobbit-hole, and that means comfort.

Lord of the Rings, the Fellowship of the Ring:

When Mr. Bilbo of Bag End announced that he would shortly be celebrating his elevty-first birthday with part of special magnificence, there was much talk and excitement in Hobbiton.

Ok you know all of the other books beginnings but don’t they just grip you? I still can believe one person such as Tolkien can have such a great imagination!
Niluial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2003, 04:21 PM   #31
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I will read just about anything, I usually try not to judge a book until I am finished. I do like certain types though. If I go to the library and go to the Sci-fi/fantasy section, I know that I can read just about anything there. Name brands also help. I am more likely to pick up a book by Tolkien or a star trek book than another just because I am more familiar with them. Once I get started I do read more quickly if there is, like has already been mentioned, a sence of depth and some action, not violence or anything, but I am not likly going to enjoy 50 pages of 2 people sitting around at a table talking about whatever.
Old 07-20-2003, 05:51 PM   #32
steve
Wight

steve has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to steve
Sting

What gets me hooked in a book is good detail to scenery and surroundings, and i like inner dialauges, like I prefer books like War of the Worlds to like a Star Wars book persay, because its more around the surroundings instead of just flat out action
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 02:03 PM   #33
Daisy Brambleburr
Shade of Carn Dûm

Daisy Brambleburr has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

That's a very difficult question! To be honest I don't really know what attracts me to a book. Some I begin to read and I instantly adore them, some I read them a few times before I appreciate them. There is no one way to define what makes me love a book. It's different for each one!
Old 07-21-2003, 07:38 PM   #34
Tinuviel of Denton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tinuviel of Denton has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tinuviel of Denton
Silmaril

Words on a page. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

I think that what interests me the most with a book is the "believability" of the world and the characters. I mean, I HATE HP because I just cannot believe that such a thing (ie, a wizarding world that we "muggles" know nothing about, such things as dragons that no one except wizards ever sees, etc) could exist. On the other hand, LotR is so believable that my best friend accuses me of forgetting that it's not real.

Books like The Sword of Truth series, Wheel of Time, The Chronicles of the Cheysuli, and too many others to list right now, just pull me in because I can believe in these things. There is a history to them, a depth that books like HP just don't have. In WOT, the most ancient event mentioned is at least three thousand years ago. In HP, the most "ancient" event was about 11 years before the first book.

Another thing that draws me into a book is the style. Now, don't anyone shoot me, but J.K. Rowling's style, to my mind, leaves a great deal to be desired. So little really happens over a comparatively shorter time and the descriptions usually leave me uninterested. And she sounds like she thinks that we're all ten years old. In the Cheysuli books, I can see the capitol city and the inhabitants. The story moves along quickly, but I am never left feeling it to be not enough.

Language, not the language that the author uses, but the language of the characters. Again, I'm going to pick on HP. The words to the 'spells' that the characters use are nonsense, hard-to-pronounce, and frankly silly. I can't think of specific examples because I've only read the books a few times and do not own any copies, but I can say that the words used by the characters, esp. the elves, in LotR evoke images of forests and the sea to me. Sindarin and Quenya are lyrical, and I think that hearing them used by true elves would be like listening to well-written music.

And last, story. There has to be a good plot.

(All you HP fans out there, please don't come and shoot me or feed me to harpies/the Sarlaac/giant plants/dragons/whatever large and beastly thing you can come up with. I just don't like Harry Potter.)
Tinuviel of Denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 05:14 AM   #35
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Sting

Quote:
The words to the 'spells' that the characters use are nonsense, hard-to-pronounce, and frankly silly.
I'l refrain from shooting you today [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] but I am really quite tired of everyone picking on Harry Potter, which is entirely separate from Lotr, and frankly, much better, even though I like both sets of books.

The language in Harry Potter was derived from Latin. All the spell words were Latin. That's not nonsense, although yes, some people may not be able to pronounce every word.

And I burnt my toast... darn you and your distracting posts [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-22-2003, 12:59 PM   #36
Tinuviel of Denton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

Meela, I apologize if I offended you. It was unintentional.

I know that the spell-words are derived from Latin, but they aren't true Latin. And yes, I have read the first three, so I am not saying these things on hearsay. Again, I don't have any of the books available to me at the moment, so I can't point out any specific examples.

Sorry that you burned your toast.

And I won't shoot you for saying that HP is better than LotR. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 07-22-2003, 02:04 PM   #37
Faye Took
Shade of Carn Dûm

Faye Took has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Faye Took
Sting

What really gets me hooked to the book is the storyline. It's all about the storyline! If the story is about a pink dragon that trying to bake cookies or something, I'm not interested. Also, description is good too, but not too much. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Faye Took is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 02:08 PM   #38
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Sting

Thanks [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

I'm not offended, but I do get extremely annoyed by some of the things said on here. Not by you. Your comment was fine.
I just don't see the point in dragging it up if people hate it so much. Most of the comments are quite ridiculous, as well- a lot are merely a matter of opinion due to an extreme obsession with Tolkien or something.
Perhaps if Harry Potter weren't so famous, the books would not be a source of such comments and hatred. I could pick 100 books out of the library and find some sort of link between them and Lotr. And you would all probably say that I was being pathetic. But I think it's pathetic that Harry Potter is picked on so much for no real reason. It is not stealing the entire Lotr plot. It is an entirely separate work. Leave it alone, for god's sake.

I really do mean no offence to anyone who has made any comments on Harry Potter. I'm not directly accusing you all. It's just something that really bugs me, and I see no need to make so many unnecessary references to it. Especially as this is a Lotr forum, and other subjects are discouraged. As another subject, can we not just drop Harry Potter out of it altogether?

*deep breath* rant over [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-23-2003, 02:55 PM   #39
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

Guinevere is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Silmaril

How do I get hooked on a book?
I think that is best described by Tolkien himself in his wonderful essay "On Fairy-stories"
Quote:
What really happens is that the story-maker proves a successful "subcreator". He makes a Secondary World which your mind can enter. Inside it, what he relates is "true": it accords with the laws of that world. You therefore believe it, while you are, as it were, inside. The moment disbelief arises, the spell is broken; the magic, or rather art, has failed. You are then out in the Primary World again, looking at the little abortive Secondary World from outside.
And the LotR itself is the best example of a fantasybook that has the inner consistency of reality.
Old 07-24-2003, 11:32 PM   #40
Tinuviel of Denton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
I could pick 100 books out of the library and find some sort of link between them and Lotr.
Forget 100. Try about 10000.

I don't think I mentioned this in my other post, but another thing that pulls me into a book is characters. I mean, really. Who wants to read a book about a character who has no flaws whatsoever? Those kinds of people are, frankly, boring. And annoying, because you'd expect them to be perfect if they're of a 'perfect' race, like the Elves, but if they're human, then let them be human.

I'm probably going to be mobbed for this but I'm going to pick on Charles Dickens. Don't get me wrong, I like him and all, but...in "A Tale of Two Cities" Lucie and Charles are some of the most annoying people I have ever had the misfortune to read about. Lucie is the perfect wife and mother, Charles is of all the crimes ever committed by his family or anyone else for that matter. I'm sorry, but the villains are ever so much more interesting. (This is one of my favorite books, I love the story itself, but some of the characters are like eating a bunch of chocolate after a birthday party!)