The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-03-2007, 08:27 PM   #1
Gorthaur the Cruel
Wight

Gorthaur the Cruel has just left Hobbiton.
Ring How were the Three and the rest made?

If Sauron put forth his strength into the Ring, then do you think Ceebrimbor and co. did the same with their elvish strengths especially into the Three?
Old 06-04-2007, 09:14 AM   #2
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
I doubt it.
The One was special, different from all other Rings of Power. For all I know, the other Rings hadn't been made using the same method, and this includes the Three. As far as I am aware, all we are told is that they were made by Celebrimbor alone around the year 1590 of the Second Age.
[font=Verdana][size=-1]Their power was in understanding, making, preserving and healing, not in controlling others such as The One.[/size][/font]
Old 06-04-2007, 09:30 AM   #3
Morwen
Shade of Carn Dūm

Morwen has just left Hobbiton.
The reason given for Sauron putting "a great part of his former power" into the One was "so that he could rule all the others". As TM points, out the Three were not meant as tools of domination and so there probably was not a need for that kind of power boost.
Old 06-04-2007, 09:35 AM   #4
Raynor
Eagle of the Star

Raynor has just left Hobbiton.
I don't know... both Yavanna and Feanor are unable to repeat their greatest works, which were both non-combative in nature. My bet is that all these three poured their power in their creations.
Old 06-04-2007, 10:12 AM   #5
narfforc
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

narfforc has been trapped in the Barrow!
Of interest here are Feanors words about the breaking of the Silmarils: It may be that I can unlock my jewels, but never again shall I make their like; and if I must break them, I shall break my heart, and I shall be slain.........

This in some way mirrors Saurons demise upon the destruction of the One Ring, it is as if in some way they are both bonded to their greatest creations, of course there is no way to know if Feanor would have died and what exactly would have killed him, the emotions that he felt for The Jewels were bound to have some effect on him, or did he really put some of his spirit within them, how close are inner feelings of the being and spirit anyway.
Old 06-04-2007, 11:12 AM   #6
Morwen
Shade of Carn Dūm

Morwen has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raynor
I don't know... both Yavanna and Feanor are unable to repeat their greatest works, which were both non-combative in nature. My bet is that all these three poured their power in their creations.
The Three represent Celebrimbor's finest work. But I don't know that they are connected to him in the way that the One is connected to Sauron. To destroy the Ring reduces Sauron to a shadow of malice. The Ring therefore isn't just his creation, it's effectively an extension of himself. If the Three were connected to Celebrimbor in a similar fashion, could he bear to give them away or have others use them?

With respect to Yavanna and Feanor, is their connection to their works the same as Sauron's? Yavanna is not destroyed by the destruction of the Trees and if the Yavanna had thought for one second that Feanor would actually die if he unlocked the Silmarils would she have requested it of him?
Old 06-04-2007, 11:20 AM   #7
Raynor
Eagle of the Star

My last post was intended to be a reply to The Might's; indeed, I don't think that Yavanna, Feanor, or Celebrimbor had a connection to their works similar to Sauron's.

As for Yavanna asking Feanor to give the silmarils, knowing that it might kill him... Hm, seeing that both Elrond and Gandalf would send the hobbits in a quest that most likely means their death, I would dare say she would ask such a thing, because it serves a higher cause than both of them.
Old 06-04-2007, 02:23 PM   #8
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by narfforc
Of interest here are Feanors words about the breaking of the Silmarils: It may be that I can unlock my jewels, but never again shall I make their like; and if I must break them, I shall break my heart, and I shall be slain.........

This in some way mirrors Saurons demise upon the destruction of the One Ring, it is as if in some way they are both bonded to their greatest creations, of course there is no way to know if Feanor would have died and what exactly would have killed him, the emotions that he felt for The Jewels were bound to have some effect on him, or did he really put some of his spirit within them, how close are inner feelings of the being and spirit anyway.
I like that idea, that the Art is so beautiful, so tied up with their feelings, that to break it is to destroy themselves, either literally or figuratively. Of course that brings to mind Gandalf's words to Saruman, that only a fool would break a thing, destroy it to find out how it was made; Gandalf there was talking about the Light (which yet again brings to mind prisms, jewel-like things of wonder that project rainbows...man ) but the Light itself is almost the ultimate expression of Art in Arda itself. Breaking Eru's Art, breaking Feanor's Art? It's an abomination to the Artist whatever. Then of course you come to Tolkien's analogy of the Tower and the Stones that make it....wait til davem sees that...

Now didn't Celebrimbor give Galadriel the gift of Nenya? A gift from Celebrimbor who loved Galadriel but of course could never act on his love beyond giving her great gifts. Did he make it for her though? Was love his intention as he made it or did he make it and then give it as a gift to her?

Quote:
"But you know that I love you (though you turn to Celeborn of the trees), and for that love I will do what I can, if happily by my art your grief can be lessened."
If you look in UT it seems Celebrimbor had earlier given Galadriel the Elessar as a gift - though there are two possible sources of the Elessar I much prefer this version. So Nenya would be a more powerful, more important gift in terms of strength. Could be of course that Celebrimbor, working with the disguised Sauron to craft these Rings (and coupled with the possibilities of sanwe being involved in their intent and craft) had some inkling of how important it would be for Galadriel to found Lothlorien and to do what she would eventually come to do?

There are also questions about whether Nenya and the others were crafted out of love in contrast to the One being crafted out of craven desire for power, and how that had a bearing upon them.
Old 06-04-2007, 02:32 PM   #9
Raynor
Eagle of the Star

The way I see it, it is central to the story that the movitation of the elves for making the rings runs deeper than the particular feelings of one of them. That is, their motivation is the elvish motive of "preservation of what is desired or loved, or its semblance ".
Old 07-06-2007, 04:53 AM   #10
calandil
Pile O'Bones

calandil has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien t'was made

it was just made,tolkien does not explain how!!
he left that to the imagination and mystery!
thts why i love his writing
mystical and magical
calandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 08:59 PM   #11
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Knight of Gondor has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Knight of Gondor
Ring

I believe it was in one of the Histories of Middle-Earth that Tolkien wrote about how the art of ring-making was studied deeply by Saruman, in hopes that he too could one day obtain the ability to craft rings of power. (First mentioned in Fellowship; Saruman was wearing a ring when he met Gandalf, and Elrond lamented that it was perilous to study too deeply into the arts of the enemy.)

I think it was also written that if Saruman had been left alone, he might possibly have attained that level of knowledge, though probably not to the level of power that Sauron or even Celebrimbor.
Eagerly awaiting the REAL Return of the King - Jesus Christ! Revelation 19:11-16
Knight of Gondor is offline   Reply With Quote