The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers > Music in Middle-earth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2010, 04:57 PM   #1
Rumil
Sage & Onions

Rumil has been trapped in the Barrow!
Eye In Print!

Congratulations Esty, Aiwendil and Faramir Jones!

Really well done on getting the Music in Middle Earth book to press.

I can't claim to have read or indeed bought it yet but certainly intend to. Does it mention Gandalf and the Hammond Organ or 'Where there's a Whip there's a way' ?

All the best
Old 01-20-2010, 05:04 PM   #2
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Let me add to Rumil's congratulations to Estelyn, Aiwendil, and Faramir Jones. This is quite something splendid to develope out of a lil ole interwebs forum.

Will say more once my copy arrives--I have it from a reliable source that my copy is on its way. I hope Air Gwaihir provides speedy delivery.
Old 01-20-2010, 06:14 PM   #3
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Congratulations, indeed!
I may have missed this information, but how does one obtain a copy?
Old 01-21-2010, 06:45 AM   #4
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Thank you for the congratulations, Rumil, Bęthberry and Inziladun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumil View Post
Does it mention Gandalf and the Hammond Organ or 'Where there's a Whip there's a way' ?
As a matter of fact, the chapter on instruments in Arda does mention "Where there's a whip..." Percussion, you know. (The Hammond organ is new to me - please let me know where it is mentioned!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
I may have missed this information, but how does one obtain a copy?
The book is listed on Amazon, so you can order it there. It can also be ordered directly from Walking Tree Publishers, and you should be able to order it at bookshops such as Barnes and Noble. The book's page on the publisher's website (Music in Middle-earth) provides the ISBN number to aid in locating it.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 01:34 PM   #5
Rumil
Sage & Onions

Rumil has been trapped in the Barrow!
Eye Not entirely canonical...

Hi Esty,

sorry, the Hammond Organ was derived from a Saucie comment on a thread long ago, so not exactly 100% JRRT

Cheers,

R
Old 01-28-2010, 05:12 AM   #6
Faramir Jones
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Faramir Jones is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Faramir Jones is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Boots The correct phrase

Rumil,

Thanks for the congratulations! I'll be commenting on the contents in detail later, when I've read them properly.

To be clear to everyone reading here, the correct phrase was 'Where there's a whip there's a will', although it was certainly Tolkien's adaptation of the old phrase 'Where there's a will there's a way', hence Rumil's understandable mistake.

It was said in the context of the 'orc-driver' whipping Frodo and Sam every now and then, after having caught them and mistaken them for orc deserters, to 'encourage' them to keep marching.

'There now!' he laughed, flicking at their legs. 'Where there's a whip there's a will, my slugs....'
Faramir Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 01:12 PM   #7
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Both quotes are correct: Faramir has the one from the book, Rumil has the song version from the animated RotK movie. The latter is used as an example in the chapter on instruments.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Old 01-28-2010, 01:26 PM   #8
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Congratulations on the book! Awesome work Faramir and Estelyn!
I'll surely buy it, I'm just a little bit confused...

Can I purchase the English version on German Amazon or only the German version? Because I'd like to have English one.
Old 02-01-2010, 08:37 AM   #9
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Thumbs up

It's arrived! Now to find time to read it . . . .

I like the walking tree image on the bookmark, Esty. It looks so very much like a green man that of course I 'wood' .
Old 02-01-2010, 01:16 PM   #10
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Might View Post
Can I purchase the English version on German Amazon or only the German version? Because I'd like to have English one.
Yes, amazon.de can get you the English book.
Old 02-05-2010, 09:55 AM   #11
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Ha! And now I am one of those lucky ones to have it as well! This morning, a mysterious envelope appeared in my mailbox... (or, well, behind my door... whatever) Just happy! Yeehaw!

I am going to get into reading it - and I'm certainly going to post feedback. And maybe something more.

(A note, for some reason it felt incredibly cool to get that book on my Finnish address... )

P.S. And, sorry, but I just now randomly opened it and what I saw was a quote:
"Pinnan alla / varjoissa Rhunin / on kolmas aika auringon"
I'm really starting to think that Finnish is pursuing me... surely you can imagine the shock, in opening the book which has like three lines like that on one random page...
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 04:17 PM   #12
Faramir Jones
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Faramir Jones is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Faramir Jones is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Thumbs up I'll be waiting

I'll be very interested to read what you have to say, Legate!

I just have to warn you, that you might take longer to post feedback than you imagine. There's a lot of complicated, though very rewarding, material between those covers...
Faramir Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 04:27 PM   #13
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Ah but for sure, and I probably could not read also as fast as I would like (as this really needs some time and cannot be read just as any "light read"... and anyway, I would not even like to read it "carelessly"!)... nevertheless, one by one, I will progress...
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Old 02-09-2010, 08:49 AM   #14
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
I extend my heartiest congratulations for the efforts of you three! Splendid. I'll be ordering it as well. Hopefully, the one I order will be the English version; if not, I'll just have to have my German mother-in-law read it to me in Deutsch over a bottle or two of wine.
Old 02-09-2010, 01:06 PM   #15
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

You're lucky, Morth - the German volume isn't out yet. As long as you make sure that Music is spelled with a "c" and not with a "k" as Musik, you'll get the English book. Also, the German translation of Middle-earth is "Mittelerde"...
Old 03-26-2010, 09:50 AM   #16
shadowfax
Animated Skeleton

shadowfax has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Might View Post
Congratulations on the book! Awesome work Faramir and Estelyn!
I'll surely buy it, I'm just a little bit confused...

Sure, you can get the Englsih version on Amazon.de. Let me know if you have any difficulties getting it.
Old 03-26-2010, 10:23 AM   #17
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

By the way, I don't know where should I say this, but this is probably the best place, I have discovered only yesterday that at the very last page of the book, there is the link to our very own most beloved 'Downs Nice one!

...and for that matter, welcome Shadowfax - haven't noticed you in any particular way earlier, but your location and signature link speak for themselves, one is only left to wonder "which one are you" (that's a rhetorical question, I am just thinking of the set of names related to the Walking Tree - which I can recollect only sounding something like "Grubb, Grubb and Bun-owes" ).
Old 03-26-2010, 10:27 AM   #18
shadowfax
Animated Skeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
By the way, I don't know where should I say this, but this is probably the best place, I have discovered only yesterday that at the very last page of the book, there is the link to our very own most beloved 'Downs Nice one!

...and for that matter, welcome Shadowfax - haven't noticed you in any particular way earlier, but your location and signature link speak for themselves, one is only left to wonder "which one are you" (that's a rhetorical question, I am just thinking of the set of names related to the Walking Tree - which I can recollect only sounding something like "Grubb, Grubb and Bun-owes" ).
Thanks for the welcome. My other name in what people call the real world is Andrew. I'm definitely looking forward to some good discussions on this forum.

I did the final fine-tuning of the book's layout, which also involved reading all the way through it giving me a highly enjoyable and sneeky preview.
Old 03-26-2010, 10:41 AM   #19
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Welcome to the Downs, shadowfax! It's nice to have another person who was actively involved in the book here to contribute to the discussions! And a special thanks to you (and one additional publisher from Walking Tree) for the work you invested in the book.

Yes, Legate, having the connections to an existing forum gave one of the editors the idea of offering readers a possibility for discussing the book, asking the authors questions, etc. "publicly" online. Since The Barrow-Wight agreed to add a space for the book to the Downs, the link was included in the list of further information in the afterword. I hope that it will direct more people here to enrich the discussions.
Old 03-26-2010, 10:56 AM   #20
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfax View Post
Thanks for the welcome. My other name in what people call the real world is Andrew. I'm definitely looking forward to some good discussions on this forum.

I did the final fine-tuning of the book's layout, which also involved reading all the way through it giving me a highly enjoyable and sneeky preview.
I am sure that will be fulfilled And certainly thanks are in order for your part in making this book available to us. So thanks again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estelyn Telcontar View Post
Yes, Legate, having the connections to an existing forum gave one of the editors the idea of offering readers a possibility for discussing the book, asking the authors questions, etc. "publicly" online. Since The Barrow-Wight agreed to add a space for the book to the Downs, the link was included in the list of further information in the afterword. I hope that it will direct more people here to enrich the discussions.
Yes, I hope so too. Like I said, nice one
Old 03-26-2010, 03:38 PM   #21
shadowfax
Animated Skeleton

By the way, I've just linked back to this forum from the book announcement page:

http://www.walking-tree.org/cormareB...umber=20#forum
Old 03-26-2010, 06:08 PM   #22
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Lovely! I hope the link brings others here to discuss the articles.

It is a very handsome-looking book, so congratulations on work well done, Shadowfax.
Old 03-26-2010, 09:54 PM   #23
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
With all the exams in the past weeks I haven't had enough time to take care of this, but I just found the time - at 5 AM - to buy the book on Amazon. Looking forward to reading it!
Old 05-10-2010, 02:45 PM   #24
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

Guinevere is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Well, finally I got my own copy of "Music in Middle-earth" - I had waited so I could buy it directly at the Tolkien Seminar in Jena. Esty signed it for me, so it was worth waiting for!
I started reading on my train journey home. (More than 7 hours, but I am a slow reader, especially if it's essays and not a novel)