The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2009, 08:14 AM   #1
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to wilwarin538
Silmaril Admin Thread for WW LXI: Grimm Tales

WW LXI – Grimm Tales

Past games have included some characters from Shakespeare and Roman Mythology, so that gave me the idea to use an old literary-type theme as well. My game is based on the beloved stories from our childhood, collected by the Brothers Grimm.

It is basically laid out like a normal game; I just had my fun messing with all the roles. Since it is based on childhood stories my narrations will try to mimic the same tone that is found in children books, and there will no doubt be some sort of moral lesson to be learned at the end.

Rules:
•No double lynchings, in the case of a tie the person who last received that # of votes will be lynched
•Every player gets 1 retractable vote every Day
•Votes are bolded, on a separate line, with ++ in front, to retract do the same, but with – … self votes will be allowed, but please don’t do this too much
•Mod-fire most definitely exists, if you don’t participate/vote for 2 Days straight, you die...you can explain any absences in the admin thread

Roles (will be given out randomly):

If you see *** beside the description of one of the roles, that means that I’m willing to remove it, depending on the amount of players I get. Ones without are pretty much here to stay, though they are subject to change. It will be clarified when this gets started which roles have been taken out or not. As well, if any changes are made to roles they will not be made here, but on the game thread, so I suggest re-reading all of this again when it’s re-posted on the game thread, just in case there are any important changes.

Goodies - gifted:

Wielder of the looking-glass: (seer) every Night this player goes home and looks into his looking-glass and asks something along the lines of “Looking-glass upon the wall, is Wilwa good or not at all?” If he discovers the identity of any of my made up roles, he is only told their role, not whether they have been successful in their tasks or not (however if he sees Prince instead of Frog he knows that the Princess and Prince are now Lovers. Little Red Cap will appear as an ordinary villager. If he discovers the Fairy Godmother or the Huntsman he may PM them during the Day, if he guesses them both all 3 may PM among themselves.

Fairy Godmother: (ranger) every Night this player chooses one player that she will protect with her magic from the baddies. She cannot protect the same person two Nights in a row. She can protect herself once.

The Huntsman: (hunter) this player chooses one other player that he will take down with him (using his giant axe of course) right before he is killed, whether they are innocent or not, and whether it’s at Night or during the Day. He can give me a new name every Day and every Night, but he can keep the same target for one consecutive Night/Day (or Day/Night), but once that new Night (or Day) starts he has to give me a new name.

Hansel & Gretel: They may be small children, but they’re more powerful then they look! These two players act separately, but have similar abilities. They PM me at any time during the Day and give me 1 player to give double voting power to, they can’t pick the same person two days in a row. They can give it to the other (since they don’t know who the other is). They can give it to themselves once. If Gretel chooses the Old Witch then the Old Witch’s vote doesn’t count, if Hansel chooses her his vote doesn’t count. If Gretel chooses Hansel the same Day he’s chosen the Old Witch, nothing happens. If they choose the same player, that player still only gets a double vote, not triple. ***

Other roles (all goodies, almost):

Little Red Cap: (kinda like a cursed, but not) A naïve little child easily fooled by the Big Bad Wolf. Every Night the Big Bad Wolf sends me a name along with the baddies kill choice, if he guesses Little Red Cap then he has managed to persuade her that he is indeed her Granny, she becomes a baddie. Little Red is not aware of her identity until it is too late, if she dies before she is turned I will not reveal her identity, I won’t even tell Mr. BBW, mwahaha. Her identity will, however, be revealed when she dies if she had been turned (therefore if someone is lynched and you see “Little Red Cap” beside their name, then you know she had been turned and you can be happy that you killed a baddie). If BBW dies before she’s turned she becomes like any ol’ villager. ***

Fair Maiden: A kind young girl who has had her child stolen by the evil Rumpelstiltskin. She has 3 days to guess his name in hopes of retrieving her son. She provides me with 5 names, could be all at once, could be spread out, she cannot change them once she’s chosen them, and she has to get them to me by the end of Day 3. If one of these 5 names belongs to Rumpelstiltskin then he dies. After this happens the Maiden is just like any ol’ villager. Nothing bad happens when she dies, but her role is revealed. If she guesses the Fairy Godmother she is given an extra guess. ***

Princess: A beautiful young girl searching for true love. Every Day and Night she sends me a name, if this name belongs to the Frog then he turns into a Prince, these two then become Lovers and can PM during the Day. They want their happily ever after more than they want the village to win; therefore they cannot reveal themselves neither before nor after they become Lovers. If one dies (either by lynching or by baddies) the other dies as well, but only after the Frog becomes the Prince, before this happens one can die alone. If the Frog dies before she guesses his name she becomes just like any ol’ villager. Her role is revealed when she dies. If she guesses the Big Bad Wolf she loses one guess, but now knows the identity of a baddie.

Frog-Prince: A Prince trapped in a frog’s body, waiting for his true love’s kiss. A normal player, until his Princess guesses his name; then he is transformed into a Prince, and they become Lovers and can PM during the Day. He does not know who the Princess is, but is told her guesses. He can however send me one guess, at anytime, as to whom she is, and he will only be told whether he is right or wrong, if he’s right then he now knows her identity but still has to wait for her to find him. They want their happily ever after more than they want the village to win; therefore they cannot reveal themselves neither before nor after they become Lovers. After they become Lovers if one dies the other dies too. If the Princess dies before he is transformed he becomes just like any ol’ villager. His role is revealed when he dies, no matter what.

Prince Charming: A gorgeous, but seemingly unintelligent young chap looking for the foot that fits his glass slipper. Every Day and Night he sends me a name, if it belongs to Cinderella; they become Lovers and can PM during the Day. They want their happily ever after more than they want the village to win; therefore they cannot reveal themselves neither before nor after they become Lovers. If one dies (either at Night or during the Day), the other does as well, but only after they’ve become Lovers. If Cinderella dies before he can find her he becomes like any ol’ villager. If he guesses the Old Witch’s name he dies. If he guesses the Ugly stepsister’s name he loses one guess, but now knows the identity of a baddie. His role is revealed when he dies.

Cinderella: A young orphan girl with some ugly relatives, who had a wonderful night with her Prince Charming and is desperately hoping he’s able to find her. A normal player until Prince Charming guesses her identity, and then they become Lovers and can PM during the Day. She knows who Prince Charming is, and is informed of his guesses (so will know who the Old Witch or Ugly Stepsister is if he guesses one of them). They want their happily ever after more than they want the village to win; therefore they cannot reveal themselves neither before nor after they become Lovers. However , if (and only if) Prince Charming dies from guessing the Old Witch’s name, she can reveal herself. If one dies (either at Night or during the Day), the other does as well, but only after they’ve become Lovers. If Prince Charming dies before he finds her she becomes like any ol’ villager. Her role is revealed when she dies.

Rapunzel: A pretty young girl with crazy long golden hair, who wants nothing more than to be helpful. Every Night she sends me 3 names, her opinion of who the Gifteds should dream/protect/hunt. It’s only for their consideration; they don’t have to do what she wants. They don’t know who she is; she doesn’t know who they are. She is not informed of the results by the Looking Glass. ***

Baddies (basically the werewolves):

Big Bad Wolf: A strange creature who likes to eat children and dress up as little old ladies. Every Night he sends me a name along with the baddies kill choice (he can discuss his choice with his fellow baddies if he so desires), if he guesses Little Red Cap then he has managed to persuade her that he is indeed her Granny, she becomes a baddie (he will not be informed if she dies before he has guessed her). If she is turned you will not be informed directly, the narration may possibly hint towards it though. If BBW is killed then she is no longer in danger of being turned. If the Princess guesses his name she loses a guess, but now knows his identity (as does the Frog).

Old Witch: No good Princess story is complete without a crazy envious evil Witch. Basically just a normal baddie, but if Prince Charming gives me her name he dies, mwahaha, and Cinderella now knows her identity.

Rumpelstiltskin: An odd little dwarf who has a funny name and a strange fascination with infants. As well a normal baddie, but he needs to watch out for the Fair Maiden, if she guesses his name he dies.

Ugly Stepsister: A very unattractive young lady following in her evil Queen mother’s evil footsteps. Basically a normal baddie, but if Prince Charming guesses her name he loses his next guess, but now knows the Ugly Stepsister’s identity (as does Cinderella). *** (if I get less than 16 players I will change this to a cobbler-like role)

There are 16 roles all together (got a little carried away ), many of them however result in more “ords” if the person fails, which some of them are bound to do. Therefore we’ll probably only start with 2-4 ords, depending on how many players I get. Ideally I’d like about 18, but even with that many I may drop a couple roles. Let me know what you think!

Depending on my ratio of female to male players the roles may or may not reflect the gender of the player. It could be that some do, some don’t (I won’t specify which ones though). The gender pronouns used in the narrations will match the roles, not the players wielding the roles (unless I’m referring to a specific player). When you sign up please state your gender, just so I’m positive. Appreciate it!
Since this takes place in a village you may choose a village-like job or role. This is optional, it’s mostly for narration purposes, and to aid in Day 1 bantering.

Let the signing up begin!

Last edited by wilwarin538; 05-15-2009 at 08:27 AM.
wilwarin538 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 08:35 AM   #2
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Me, please! *is officially addicted to WW*

EDIT: Oh, and I'm a girl (just in case you hadn't worked it out by now).

Last edited by Nerwen; 05-15-2009 at 08:43 AM.
Nerwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 08:49 AM   #3
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Shield

Just booking a place now, if I may. I'm sure I'll discuss the roles soon, though it'd be great if we could get lots and lots of players and have all those roles.
Old 05-15-2009, 08:54 AM   #4
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Silmaril ooh such a LOVELY idea!

Oh, Wilwa, you're so cruel, I can't miss this! But I also can't play while studying to two Uni entrance exams and preparing a graduation party! *dies* Hmmm... Wilwa m'dear, could you add me to the player list with a very big questionmark? I mean, I could maybe play if this only started sometime during the last week of May or later, but even then I might be a bit silent for the first Day or two...

PS. I'm a girl.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 08:56 AM   #5
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Oh my, what a pity, I really don't think I will be able to play, with the end of the semester piling up at me - but I am just sticking my head in to say that this game looks really really interesting, if I have ever seen a good game! Ah well.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 09:30 AM   #6
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
*grumbles*

I should be studying instead of playing, but this one looks so darn interesting I can't help myself... Sign me up with a questionmark, please.

I'm a girl but since I swing both ways I don't really have anything against being, say, a prince.

And I can blame you if I don't get into uni now.
Old 05-15-2009, 09:34 AM   #7
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganzir View Post
I'm a girl but since I swing both ways I don't really have anything against being, say, a prince.
Well yes the guys always get to do everything interesting in fairytales...
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 09:44 AM   #8
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
Well yes the guys always get to do everything interesting in fairytales...
Not to mention the fact that I look considerably better in drag!
Old 05-15-2009, 11:37 AM   #9
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
I'd thought of giving this a go, but this one looks a bit complicated. Maybe next time.

Last edited by Inziladun; 05-15-2009 at 11:47 AM.
Inziladun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 11:48 AM   #10
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I bloody love you.

Consider me signed up unless I say otherwise. Which I better not, because I would cry if I missed this game.

ETA: As long as you don't call me Stan, you can make me whatever gender you like.
(Aka I'm a girl.)

Oh, and any idea about DL yet?
satansaloser2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 12:19 PM   #11
McCaber
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

McCaber has been trapped in the Barrow!
I'm in. I'm also male, if it helps.

Ah, it feels good to be back. I smell a triumphant comeback just around the corner.
McCaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 01:22 PM   #12
Isabellkya
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Isabellkya is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Oooh, looks interesting.
I wish to play, and am a girl.
I echo Sally, possible deadline?
Old 05-15-2009, 02:27 PM   #13
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Well I'm happy, it's up for only a few hours and I get 7 possibles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eomer of the Rohirrim View Post
Just booking a place now, if I may. I'm sure I'll discuss the roles soon, though it'd be great if we could get lots and lots of players and have all those roles.
Of course you may, how could anyone ever turn you down? I too want lots, I love all my roles I don't really want to get rid of any.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
Oh, Wilwa, you're so cruel, I can't miss this! But I also can't play while studying to two Uni entrance exams and preparing a graduation party! *dies* Hmmm... Wilwa m'dear, could you add me to the player list with a very big questionmark? I mean, I could maybe play if this only started sometime during the last week of May or later, but even then I might be a bit silent for the first Day or two...

PS. I'm a girl.
Well you see I have this evil plot to stop you from going to University, it's working quite well it seems. I would greatly love it if you played, but don't if you have more important things to do. The game will hopefully start later next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by satansaloser2005 View Post
I bloody love you.

Consider me signed up unless I say otherwise. Which I better not, because I would cry if I missed this game.

ETA: As long as you don't call me Stan, you can make me whatever gender you like.
(Aka I'm a girl.)

Oh, and any idea about DL yet?
hehe, yay! I'm so glad you all love this idea so much.

Deadline will most probably be 9am EST (GMT -4).

Players so far:

Nerwen
Eomer
Lommy ????????
Aganzir ?
Stan...I mean Sally
McCaber
Izzy
Old 05-15-2009, 02:33 PM   #14
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
I'd thought of giving this a go, but this one looks a bit complicated. Maybe next time.
I know it seems daunting, but it's really not too different from other games. In this one practically everyone will have a role (and even the few ords may have little tasks, we'll see), but really when you're playing everyone will concentrate more on the rules involving their own roles, not necessarily all the ones involving everyone else.

Oh and Sally, I have to admit I got some inspiration from your insanely wonderful game.
Old 05-15-2009, 03:29 PM   #15
Mirandir
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mirandir is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
ZOMG I saw the name of the thread and decided I HAVE to play. We'll ignore the fact that I'm still in England on a school trip and probably will be until this game is over (or very close to it) but I have free time in the evenings and and and...Sorry, got a little worked up there. Count me in but be forewarned that I'll have limited playing time.

EDIT: And just to clear up any confusion from previous games, I'm most definitely a girl.

Last edited by Mirandir; 05-15-2009 at 04:14 PM.
Mirandir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 04:12 PM   #16
Gaurcrist
Animated Skeleton

Gaurcrist has just left Hobbiton.
I'd like to request a character, please; but as Mirandir said, I have limited playing time. I would enjoy being a blacksmith, and, as many blacksmiths are, I am male.

Last edited by Gaurcrist; 05-15-2009 at 04:16 PM.
Gaurcrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 07:29 PM   #17
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaurcrist View Post
I'd like to request a character, please; but as Mirandir said, I have limited playing time. I would enjoy being a blacksmith, and, as many blacksmiths are, I am male.
*inserts appropriate A Knight's Tale joke here*
Old 05-15-2009, 07:35 PM   #18
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

Quote:
Originally Posted by satansaloser2005 View Post
*inserts appropriate A Knight's Tale joke here*
Hehe, , I love that movie, poor Heath

blacksmith is great, welcome to the game, and to the Downs!
Old 05-15-2009, 10:12 PM   #19
Shastanis Althreduin
Werewolf Psychic

Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Me, please.

And I'll be the village fletcher!
Shasta– ... However, if he's innocent his famous clairvoyant powers must be taking the week off. Meanwhile, the Night-kills have been awfully effective– almost like we're dealing with a psychic wolf... - Nerwen, WW LXXV
Shastanis Althreduin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 10:28 PM   #20
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
I will tentatively sign up.
Old 05-15-2009, 10:34 PM   #21
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
Quote:
ZOMG I saw the name of the thread and decided I HAVE to play.~Mira
Agreed. I am in total love with this right now, and I wants in. I wants to see all the roles too, so I hope that will be possible?

I will sign-up wilwa, but only if you read Jane Yolen's interpretation about Rumpelstiltskin. Particularly "Granny Rumple" and consider the Afterword...
Quote:
I was considering the moral center of the story. Something was horribly wrong, here is a miller who lies, his daughter who complicitous in the lie, a king only interested in the girl if she can produce gold. And the only upright character in the tale is sacrificed in the end.
Rumpelstiltskin was the only honest, helpful character, and he gets played by a spoiled brat!
Old 05-16-2009, 04:40 AM   #22
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Ooh thanks for the invite wilwa! Hadn't realised this had gone up. I will indeed play.
Old 05-16-2009, 05:33 AM   #23
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
Hey don't worry - my first three games were quite experimental but it wasn't that bad. I'm sure you'll manage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilwarin538 View Post
Deadline will most probably be 9am EST (GMT -4).
Is that GMT or DST?
And you can take the question mark away, I'm in. *curses herself for lack of self-discipline*

A few things concerning the roles.

Little Red Cap is told she's an ordo, right? And I take it that Fairy Godmother's identity is revealed to the Fair Maiden if she guesses her?

Also, the game looks maybe a bit unbalanced in favour of the village as there are several roles with the ability to find out/kill a baddie. Like, in theory it's possible every baddie is found out by the lover teams/Fair Maiden by day 2...

As for my occupation, can I be a jailer? With a gladiator arena and a pride of lions on my backyard.
Old 05-16-2009, 07:27 AM   #24
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganzir View Post
Is that GMT or DST?
And you can take the question mark away, I'm in. *curses herself for lack of self-discipline*

A few things concerning the roles.

Little Red Cap is told she's an ordo, right? And I take it that Fairy Godmother's identity is revealed to the Fair Maiden if she guesses her?

Also, the game looks maybe a bit unbalanced in favour of the village as there are several roles with the ability to find out/kill a baddie. Like, in theory it's possible every baddie is found out by the lover teams/Fair Maiden by day 2...
Uhm, well 9am EST for me, I guess in GMT it's 4 hours before...I think.

Little Red Cap is told she is an Ordo. The Maiden would actually only know that one of her 5 guesses belonged to the Fairy Godmother, not which one was her, she'd only be told about the extra guess she's earned, after she's given them all. I was thinking the same thing about the balance, that's why there are roles I'm willing to drop. Though the guessers would have to be pretty lucky to be able to guess all the baddies, especially if there are 18 or more players. And let's say you all lynch Cinderella Day 1, well then Prince Charming becomes basically and Ord, so he wouldn't be guessing anymore. I will think of a few changes though to some of the roles (eg, Cinderella will not be given Prince Charming's guesses, so if he dies by guessing Old Witch she won't know his identity) Aswell, the lovers can't reveal themselves, so if they discover a baddie they can't come forward and say "I'm the Princess and this is who BBW is". And really they may not care, if they become lovers their goal will then be to last until the end, they don't really care who wins aslong as they survive. So it may not even be in their best interest to reveal the baddie they may or may not have discovered. See it's very hard to know exactly what could change the whole game, and what may never even happen. But I am reviewing everything very thorougly, so there will no doubt be some changes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boromir88 View Post

I will sign-up wilwa, but only if you read Jane Yolen's interpretation about Rumpelstiltskin. Particularly "Granny Rumple" and consider the Afterword...

Rumpelstiltskin was the only honest, helpful character, and he gets played by a spoiled brat!
I will go find it and read it, right now. If Rumplie makes it to the end and wins then that exert could be useful. Thanks for the tip, and thanks for playing!

Players:
Nerwen
Eomer
Lommy ????????
Aganzir - jailor, arena and lions included
Sally
McCaber
Izzy
Mira
Gaurcrist - blacksmith
Shasta - fletcher
Gwath the Tentative
Boro88
Kath

That's 13!!!!! Yay!!! So about 5/6 more and I will be one happy camper.

So tell all your friends!!
Old 05-16-2009, 08:16 AM   #25
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Well, if everyone will have patience with a poor amateur, I'm in.
Old 05-16-2009, 08:22 AM   #26
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Okay. I'm signing up.

But on one condition:

I have to either have won or died by the 30th, and nobody's allowed to care that I won't be around on the 26th (I have a good excuse, I promise). And in one very special instance that I don't foresee actually happening, I may need to withdraw myself from the game on short notice.

Oh god I shouldn't be playing right now...
Old 05-16-2009, 08:26 AM   #27
Nienna
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nienna has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to Nienna Send a message via MSN to Nienna
So this game is too interesting to let go.

*signs up*

Depending on how long the game goes there may be some days that I have dodgy participation but I will let everyone know way in advance.
Old 05-16-2009, 09:24 AM   #28
A Little Green
Leaf-clad Lady

A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to A Little Green
This game looks far too lovely for me to miss it. Count me in, please. And I'm a female in case you need that information.
"But some stories, small, simple ones about setting out on adventures or people doing wonders, tales of miracles and monsters, have outlasted all the people who told them, and some of them have outlasted the lands in which they were created."
A Little Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 09:48 AM   #29
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

Silmaril

Wonderful! So now:

Nerwen
Eomer
Lommy ????????
Aganzir - jailor, arena and lions included
Sally
McCaber
Izzy
Mira
Gaurcrist - blacksmith
Shasta - fletcher
Gwath the Tentative
Boro88
Kath
Inziladun
Fea
Nienna
Greenie

And Fea, the way things are going it looks like I should be able to get started monday (maybe even as early as tomorrow if I can get a few more), so I'm sure they'll have lynched you by the 30th.

So a couple more people, and a definite answer from Lommy and Gwath, and I will be ready to go. This is quite exciting!

Oh and jobs/roles from more people would be lovely, though it is not required.
Old 05-16-2009, 09:50 AM   #30
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilwarin538 View Post
And Fea, the way things are going it looks like I should be able to get started monday, so I'm sure they'll have lynched you by the 30th.
Good. I expect we ought to shake on this, just to formalize the agreement.
Old 05-16-2009, 09:54 AM   #31
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanor of the Peredhil View Post
Good. I expect we ought to shake on this, just to formalize the agreement.
Consider it shaken.

Oh, and convince the phantom to play (since he'd be a lovely Fair Maiden ) and I will give you a glorious death scene.
Old 05-16-2009, 09:58 AM   #32
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Lari says to tell you she's also playing. Simply can't resist the temptation.
Old 05-16-2009, 10:36 AM   #33
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
I am male by the way.

If there is worry about balance, maybe take out Hansel&Gretel or one of the questionable good roles, and add in some baddies, who aren't wolves, but can counter some of the extra good roles.

I do agree with wilwa about the lovers and such, that depending upon chance and luck one whether lovers find eachother, decide to look out for their own interests...etc it is not as unbalanced as it first appears.

But an extra bad role could be the robber bridegroom? If I recall this tale correctly, he was a suitor who convinced the miller to let him marry the daughter, and he had plans to take her back to the den and chop her into horrible pieces.

The robber bridegroom would not be a wolf, but he can perhaps send in a choice everyday, and if he finds Cinderalla/The princess, they die because he has captured the lovely ladies and hacked them to pieces. And if Cinderella and the Princess have already been united with their lovers, either the robber bridegroom can not kill them, and Prince Charming/the Frog-Prince will find out.

Hmm...maybe the robber bridegroom could act as the cobbler, he wants the wolves to win, but also has the power to steal Cinderalla/The princess and kill them, if he guesses correctly?
Old 05-16-2009, 10:37 AM   #34
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

Silmaril

It seems mine and Fea's feminine whiles were able to convince the phantom to play.

So it's definitely still open for more! But I'm thinking that I'll be able to start Monday, meaning Night 1 will be Monday and Day 1 one will be Tuesday. Hopefully that's good for everyone. Expect the Game thread to show up much later tomorrow, though no posting on it of course until 9am EST Tuesday.

So anyone else wanting to play is welcome to sign up. Everyone's oppinions on the roles are welcomed. And roles/jobs from everyone is also appreciated.

So here are a few changes I've made: Cinderella will no longer receive Prince Charmings choices. Prince Charming will still perish if he chooses the Old Witch but will not loose a guess if he guesses the Ugly Stepsister. Aswell the Princess will no longer lose a guess if she guesses the Big Bad Wolf. Otherwise, nothing has changed. Also, everyone should keep in mind that I am the Moddess Goddess and have all the power, and found inspiration from Sally's game...so conclude from that what you will.
Old 05-16-2009, 10:43 AM   #35
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boromir88 View Post
I am male by the way.

If there is worry about balance, maybe take out Hansel&Gretel or one of the questionable good roles, and add in some baddies, who aren't wolves, but can counter some of the extra good roles.

I do agree with wilwa about the lovers and such, that depending upon chance and luck one whether lovers find eachother, decide to look out for their own interests...etc it is not as unbalanced as it first appears.

But an extra bad role could be the robber bridegroom? If I recall this tale correctly, he was a suitor who convinced the miller to let him marry the daughter, and he had plans to take her back to the den and chop her into horrible pieces.

The robber bridegroom would not be a wolf, but he can perhaps send in a choice everyday, and if he finds Cinderalla/The princess, they die because he has captured the lovely ladies and hacked them to pieces. And if Cinderella and the Princess have already been united with their lovers, either the robber bridegroom can not kill them, and Prince Charming/the Frog-Prince will find out.

Hmm...maybe the robber bridegroom could act as the cobbler, he wants the wolves to win, but also has the power to steal Cinderalla/The princess and kill them, if he guesses correctly?
yes yes yes.....hmmmm.....I love you!

Alright, I think I will ditch Rapunzel and add this one (she was a total afterthought anywho). Maybe tweak it a bit for my own liking. Perhaps if he chooses Cinderella/Princess after they've been united with their Loves, they die, but their Lover receives a revenge kill before he dies aswell? Or is that too much death? hehe, too much death in werewolf, is that even possible? I must ponder this...

Perhaps make it so that Gretel is the same, but Hansel actually takes someone's vote away?? That would balance the two out. I may do that too....
Old 05-16-2009, 10:45 AM   #36
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

Interestingly enough, I was originally going to have Hamlet and Ophelia be Hansel and Gretel, with of course the appropriate adjustments, but then decided I could have more fun with our poor Shakespearean dears.

Oh dear. We're all going to die.
Old 05-16-2009, 10:46 AM   #37
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Male, also. Forgot to say earlier.
Old 05-16-2009, 11:12 AM   #38
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

Silmaril

Alright, so along with the changes to the Lovers that I made earlier, I have decided to change Hansel to this:

Hansel: Every Day, at any time, he sends me the name of a player. This player’s vote will not count. They cannot choose the same player two Days in a row. If he chooses the player who has the role of the Old Witch his vote will not count and her’s still will. He will not be informed if this happens.

Gretel has remained the same. Then I have added this role:

Robber Bridegroom: He is like a cobbler; he wants the baddies to win. As well, every Day he sends me a name, if it belongs to the Fair Maiden, Cinderella or the Princess, she will die. If Cinderella or the Princess have already been united with their loves they will not be able to be killed. The Fair Maiden can still be killed even after she’s given all of her guesses.

Sound good to everyone? Let me know what you think. These changes won't be made to this thread, but they will appear in the Game thread.
Old 05-16-2009, 11:46 AM   #39
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

Silmaril

Mith has decided to play, so that's 20 people. I just need confirmation from Lommy and Gwath, but even if they can't play I will still have enough to start. So I don't think I'm gonna want to be taking any more players now. Unless somehow enough people drop out to bring me below 18.

So discussion is still open about roles, I'd love your opinions, but I don't see myself making too many more changes. If no one drops out or signs up the roles will be sent out late Sunday Night, after the Game thread has been put up. Once that happens no more changes will be made to roles or players. Night 1 will then start Monday morning, 9am EST (GMT -4).

Roles/jobs and genders from everyone who already hasn't is greatly appreciated.
Old 05-16-2009, 12:12 PM   #40
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Oh I shall be a herbalist and I am all woman

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote