The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2008, 12:55 PM   #1
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Admin thread for TIG Whatever - Mith's game

UPDATE:

I will post the game intro in time for the start but this is the basic game set up for the benefit of all (the gifted know a little about their roles).

18 players (singers)

3 wolves (Critics in this game - they do all the off stageslaughtering in the opera!). they PM at night and attack one player each night. They win when their number equal the number of non-wolves.

1 cobbler/spy (Walter Plinge - the name is a theatre joke and should not be taken as gender identification - opera is a gender bending environment - if Walter gets referred to as he it is because it is a male name) Walter gets to spy on one other player each night and learns their role. This information is passed to the critic by a dead drop at the beiginning of the next night before Walter goes spying again. So the critics and Walter are ignorant of each other's identities. If Walter is "lynched" the wolves will obviously not receive the previous nights info.

1 seer - a dreamer of dreams. Will learn the truth of a player's identity each night.

1 Diva/Divo. A singer so great that they are impervious to the attacks of the critics (unless they become an overwhelming force at endgame) . May be "lynched" or killed in error by the avenging soulmate. (see below)

2 soulmates - opera throws up some great partnerships and these 2 know each other so well that they cannot be decieved as to the other's identity. The may PM during day phases only.
If one dies the other lives but may try to avenge them by taking out one other singer. NB As I said, opera is a mixed up world for gender and no restriction was placed on gender combination when drawing for these role.

You are invited to "audition " for my forthcoming Opera themed Werewolf game. I hope to start as soon as I can after the current game finishes and would like an idea of numbers so I can decide special roles.

Anyone interested in playing please post stating preferred voice type/or non singing role (this does not have to be your true vocal range - this is a game ), region you wish to represent and ME race, stage name if different, and whether you are a definite (DVWP) or a maybe.

Yours as ever,

Mithalwen.

Audition List : In approximate order of altitude....

Satansaloser?, soprano
Feanor of the Peredhil, Belfalas (mezzo-)soprano
Ilya, mezzo-soprano
Kath
Aganzir, Minas Tirith contralto
Gwathagor (Gwathagorio), lyric tenor/spinto
Shastanis Althreduin (tenor leggierio / lyric tenor)
Nogrod (typically indicisive - anywhere between lyric and buffo - or baritone )
The Phantom (typically versatile and with great range)
TGWBS
Meneltarmacil - baritone
Macalaure
Gollum the Great? - bass-baritone
Boromir 88 basso profundo, Rohan

“I warn you, if you bore me, I shall take my revenge.”

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace

Last edited by Mithalwen; 01-06-2009 at 06:59 AM. Reason: Add names
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 02:22 PM   #2
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Oooo sounds intriguing.

Before I consider signing up, though, do you have any idea when the deadline will be? Like, a rough guess? (I'm going back to college next week and I'm not sure what my work schedule will be, so I would hate to join the game and then have to pull out)

satansaloser2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 05:11 PM   #3
Shastanis Althreduin
Werewolf Psychic

Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Once I get back to college, my internet won't be nearly as sporadic. I can play.

I'm Shasta (obviously), I'm a high tenor, and I'm definately playing.
Shasta– ... However, if he's innocent his famous clairvoyant powers must be taking the week off. Meanwhile, the Night-kills have been awfully effective– almost like we're dealing with a psychic wolf... - Nerwen, WW LXXV
Shastanis Althreduin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 10:04 AM   #4
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
I'm absolutely in! The last game was the poorest I've ever made (join D1 two hours before the DL, miss D2 and get killed the following Night... ) so it's time to make that one good. And Mith's game! I'm looking forwards to this.

In the choir I'm in I'm also a high tenor but I have to admit I have great trouble reaching those highest pitches. So I could be a second tenor or being truthful a baritone.
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 03:56 PM   #5
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The bottom of the ocean, discussing philosophy with a giant squid
Meneltarmacil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I'm in, and I'm probably a baritone myself. I'll be the guy that always wants the "bad guy" roles and does really well at them for some reason.
Old 01-01-2009, 05:50 PM   #6
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meneltarmacil View Post
I'll be the guy that always wants the "bad guy" roles and does really well at them for some reason.
Bah I want them too! Besides the only song I can sing properly is Be Prepared. Hmm you could play the masculine bad guys and I have the feminine male baddies?

I am Aganzir and I suppose I am an alto. Also, I'd like to have a question mark after my name for now.

And I would have applied to a non-singing role if you hadn't said you want to have the bad guy roles, Menel.
Old 01-01-2009, 08:01 PM   #7
Ilya
Wight

Ilya has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

This looks cool. I'd like to be in as well. I suppose I'm a mezzo-soprano, although I (and the rest of the world) would be comfortable with me in a non-singing role.
Old 01-01-2009, 09:31 PM   #8
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Aganzir, could we perhaps be rivals for the villain role in this opera, carrying out diabolical plots to sabotage each other's attempts at getting said role?
Old 01-02-2009, 10:59 AM   #9
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Lovely ... as a contralto/mezzo myself, I have to say that the lower ranges often have the most interesting parts - bad girls are nearly always mezzos Agan!!!
for the men, Baritones tend to be bad guys or the hero's friend who gets killed - baritones tend to die a lot.. but there are a couple of splendid tenor villains in Handel ( when the hero would have been a castrato originally now counter tenor or mezzo on "trouser role") and also Rigoletto.

I may have to use artistic licence but if Nogrod insists he is tenor I may have to resist the image (and cultural stereotype sorry) of the wonderful basses from his part of the world ... hope there will be a few since one of the arias I want to rip off is... well nvm ...

Deadline... well I am a lady of leisure atm but I can't be certain of that being the case for the duratio of the game. So it will surely be early evening UK time which should be lunchtime or later in the states. There is likely to be retractable votes - though not unlimited ones since people got silly last time and annoyed me so I hope the deadline won't be an insurmountable problem.

Old 01-02-2009, 01:47 PM   #10
Gollum the Great
Shade of Carn Dûm

Gollum the Great has just left Hobbiton.
Looks fun... I'm just afraid I may not have the time. Do we have to use our real voices Mith? Bass or baritone is I think what I am (I don't sing much anymore).
Old 01-02-2009, 03:46 PM   #11
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
I'm in, and I'm most definitely a bass, and the bass who has no range/can't get out of the lower octave.
Old 01-02-2009, 03:52 PM   #12
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I'm in with a question mark and I'm a soprano (I'm pretty sure) but you really don't want me to sing.
Old 01-02-2009, 04:43 PM   #13
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Aganzir, could we perhaps be rivals for the villain role in this opera, carrying out diabolical plots to sabotage each other's attempts at getting said role?
Alright. *gives Menel some helium*
Old 01-02-2009, 04:53 PM   #14
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

This is definitely going to be an adventure~! Can't wait!

And of course Nog would be a wonderful singer. He's always so full of hot air!

(I wish Phantom were here. It fits him so much better. Hehe.)
Old 01-02-2009, 05:03 PM   #15
Gollum the Great
Shade of Carn Dûm

Gollum the Great has just left Hobbiton.
Are we actually singing in this game?
Old 01-02-2009, 05:44 PM   #16
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Me me me me me
I'm in
me
pick me
please pick me?

I sing most comfortably somewhere vaguely below a soprano. It sounds pretty when my friend's soprano sister and I sing together. No solos, pretty please, as my voice really isn't strong enough to carry a part alone, but I'm pretty darned good at harmonies.

Speaking of... *ponders*
Old 01-02-2009, 07:15 PM   #17
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Oh yes.

I'm well pleased.
Old 01-03-2009, 12:44 AM   #18
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
Quote:
I'm in, and I'm probably a baritone myself. I'll be the guy that always wants the "bad guy" roles and does really well at them for some reason.
I thought villains usually sang bass in operas. I suppose it depends on whether the opera is comic or tragic.

My name is Gwathagorio and I imagine I am either a lyric or a spinto tenor. If the game starts soon, I am a definite.

Last edited by Gwathagor; 01-03-2009 at 12:49 AM.
Gwathagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 09:47 AM   #19
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Well generally higher voices tend to be associated with youth/goodness and lower with age/and ambiguity if not evil. Of course there are exceptions and extremely high vocal ranges may have supernatural associations (eg Queen of the Night, Oberon). However please note that these associations should not be related to the game .... you cannot assume that the bass-baritones will be wolves and a lyric soprano the seer. You will not be required to sing exactly it is just to give me the chance to have fun with my narrations - and you can all camp it up like the prima donnas / primo uomos that you are

Also sorry to be a pain in the proverbial but I have slightly altered the concept for the scenario from an opera festival to an operatic competition a la Cardiff Singer of the World so to add to amusement and give a ME connection please also let me know which Middle Earth race you wish to be and preffered region to represent. Also your operatic name (thanks Gwathy I knew there was a reason I asked for names originally despite the fact that unlike a paper notice board the writer is obvious. ).

As ME's senior principality, Belfalas will be the host for the "Dol Amroth singer of Middle Earth" competition which will start as soon as there are a decent number of participants.

Old 01-03-2009, 11:52 AM   #20
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
I'm curious how playing werewolf mixes with having four kids screaming and/or running around in my back and using an Internet connection which makes my browser die randomly.

In other words, I'm in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mith
Baritones tend to be bad guys or the hero's friend who gets killed - baritones tend to die a lot..
Now that sounds just right for me. Sign me up for baritone! I leave it to you what kind. I shall be Barney Broadbottle, a Bree-lander from Staddle, who goes under the pseudonyme of "Macalaure".
Macalaure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 01:23 PM   #21
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
I am, of course, a Sindarin elf from the cold northern wilds of Eriador.
Old 01-03-2009, 03:14 PM   #22
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

I think I shall hail from Dol Amroth. Being 'half elven' as I so hastily decided I was so many years ago, I can only guess that it's not anywhere near half, and that the truth of the matter is that Mithrellas's blood flows - in a very diluted manner - through my veins, as it does through pretty much everybody else's in those parts.
Old 01-03-2009, 04:06 PM   #23
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
The obvious choice I guess would be Gondor, but I'm feeling so much more spiritted and Rohirric like; so I want Rohan.
Old 01-03-2009, 05:19 PM   #24
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

I should probably go with a dwarf but since I don't feel dwarven at all right now, I pick a race that suits my baddie roles better and be of pure Númenorean blood. Then Aganzir is a good enough name for me.
Old 01-03-2009, 05:34 PM   #25
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Of course I'm playing Mith! Just didn't realise sign ups had started already! Umm, I don't sing so I have no idea what my voice is ... back in school choir days I was an alto I believe.
Old 01-03-2009, 10:42 PM   #26
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I will be a Nazgul, from Minas Morgul of course.
Old 01-04-2009, 11:02 AM   #27
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

the guy who be short has just left Hobbiton.
I have no idea about opera, so make me anything you want - you've heard my voice!

I will be a hork-bajir. Er, sorry, dunlander.
the guy who be short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 11:36 AM   #28
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

TGWBS! Do you know how long it's been since we've werewolfed together?
Old 01-04-2009, 11:45 AM   #29
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

the guy who be short has just left Hobbiton.
No. Do you?
the guy who be short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 12:23 PM   #30
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Quote:
Originally Posted by the guy who be short View Post
No. Do you?
Absolutely no idea.
Old 01-04-2009, 12:26 PM   #31
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Needless to say I am a very happy mod..... just a few more...

Old 01-04-2009, 12:34 PM   #32
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Sorry mummie, I am not quite mad enough to sign up for this game, but oh if only I were. Just one look at the player list tells me this is going to be insane.

Have fun modding, though.
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 12:41 PM   #33
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

That is ok darling.... you are with us in spirit

Old 01-04-2009, 01:22 PM   #34
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Hate to be one of those conditional players, but I can play if the game doesn't begin till the 11th (Sunday). I haven't been keeping up with the current game so don't have any sense of when this might start.

Anyway, if I'm able to join, I'm going to be boring and say that I'm a contralto as I probably am in real life. But really I should have a non-singing role...and even more really I should have a non-speaking role. Could I play scenery or something? So maybe I should be an Ent (I guess from Fangorn then)?

Edit: Ah, the previous game's over. Ignore my post here, I'm sure you'll get started long before next Sunday!

Last edited by Durelin; 01-04-2009 at 01:42 PM.
Durelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 01:28 PM   #35
Cailín
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Cailín has just left Hobbiton.
After a short, enthusiastic discussion with Eomer, we have decided that we'll also be singing a schizophrenic duet in this game (I shall naturally be in the foreground).

I'm a mezzo, and most comfortable with mid-range / second soprano parts, though I can do a fair high alto when I put my mind to it. When Eomer's voice takes over, he'll sing in a lovely, manly bass. We shall be humans from Forodwaith in the freezing north.
Cailín is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 02:26 PM   #36
Strongbow
Wight

Strongbow has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Strongbow Send a message via MSN to Strongbow
My range varies. I can (in this reality thing) sing from tenor to bass. I prefer to do baritone. I'd like to be Bowissimo of Gondor.

This is a brilliant concept, I might add.

Edit: I'm a definite, too.

Edit2: Specifically in Gondor, of Lossarnach. Sounds like Lammermoor, almost.

Edit3: This is awesome.

Last edited by Strongbow; 01-04-2009 at 02:44 PM.
Strongbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 02:52 PM   #37
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

I'm trying to convince one of my room mates to register and play... I'll let you know how I succeed.
Old 01-04-2009, 03:07 PM   #38
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

Quote:
I'm trying to convince one of my room mates to register and play.
I seriously doubt she'll play.

She's scared of me.
Old 01-04-2009, 03:12 PM   #39
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Quote:
Originally Posted by the phantom View Post
I seriously doubt she'll play.

She's scared of me.
Wanna bet some money on it, hunny?
Old 01-04-2009, 03:14 PM   #40
Lariren Shadow
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Lariren Shadow is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via AIM to Lariren Shadow Send a message via MSN to Lariren Shadow
You doubted wrong.

I'm Fea's suitemate.

Prefer Lariren, soprano(as I am one) and from Ithilien. I think that's all. I seriously hope this is better than the game I played before(on a different sight with messed up rules).
Lariren Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote