Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-03-2009, 09:07 AM   #1801
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod View Post
I mean he is an experienced leader indeed and thus realises the value of the information he has just been given. I mean what Thornden said was a bigger gift he could have imagined as he now has a roughly realistic picture of what he is facing. So he would not be impatient to have Thornden stop and look like he's not liking the fact Thornden tells him these things; but rather like interested and curious to learn more - if there would be more...

Maybe something like:

Quote:
"Is there anything else?” Athanar asked leaning forwards and gazing Thornden to the eye.
It will be done, my lord.

-- Foley
Old 11-03-2009, 09:35 AM   #1802
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Folwren View Post
I've been thinking. So far, when anyone has adopted a new character, they seem to shy away from them being even remotely bad or not understanding - beside Nienna's character, she's apparently got an obvious bad streak in her. Even the soldier authoritarian figures have been understading and nice about things. I think it's all natural - if we play a character, we want to make them decent and at least partially redeemable. So, what I'm thinking is that maybe I'll tak the character Scyrr and not worry about any of that, and just make him plain old mean.

On the other hand, we already have a LOT going on and a lot new characters still needing to be intagrated. So I'll hold off on that a little until somethings that haven't happened yet do happen. Then I'll decide.
Well, I would not judge the day before the nightfall, so to say. There has been very little interaction among the people outside the "nobles' council" this far, and no real conflicts yet because the questions and controversions did not arise yet: for instance, the soldiers and the common people overall do not know yet with whom the authority formally lies (one of the things Hilderinc will probably be thinking about, probably in the following post, when it comes to maintaining discipline here). We don't need outright mean characters to stir up trouble. I think there will be far, far much more that can go wrong in the following days. Also, the new characters have unveiled this far only little of their personality (logically, having been around for so short). So who knows what can still happen.

EDIT: Ha, ha... speak of wolves, and they will howl... *goes to check what Groin just posted*
EDITEDIT: Whooo, this is brilliant. Even "better" than I expected. I probably cannot post now rightaway, but in some two hours or so, I should get up a post... by the way, Groin, the name's Hilderinc.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories

Last edited by Legate of Amon Lanc; 11-03-2009 at 09:42 AM.
Old 11-03-2009, 09:51 AM   #1803
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
Well, I would not judge the day before the nightfall, so to say. There has been very little interaction among the people outside the "nobles' council" this far, and no real conflicts yet because the questions and controversions did not arise yet: for instance, the soldiers and the common people overall do not know yet with whom the authority formally lies (one of the things Hilderinc will probably be thinking about, probably in the following post, when it comes to maintaining discipline here). We don't need outright mean characters to stir up trouble. I think there will be far, far much more that can go wrong in the following days. Also, the new characters have unveiled this far only little of their personality (logically, having been around for so short). So who knows what can still happen.
Well, Legate, even if the trouble is unrest due to a new command doesn't mean that a trully bad apple wouldn't be accepted to make things even MORE interesting. I understand the trouble we're soon going to be running into, and that's one reason I'm not going to immediately take up a troublemaking character (beyond Javan, who, I think, is beginning to have some redeemable qualities about him...he will trully be sorry if/when he causes trouble, because he's learned to be ashamed of himself, especially now that Eodwine is gone). (Maybe it's because of Javan's reformation that I feel I need a new bad character. )

So, as I said, I'll wait a little while until things cool off, the dust settles, and I'm able to see if we still need stirring up. We may easily not need it.

I second Legate's comment - Groin, your post was great.

-- Folwren
Old 11-03-2009, 10:33 AM   #1804
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
by the way, Groin, the name's Hilderinc.
I knew that!

Also, if y'all need a "bad" character to come in, Erbrand has a history of not liking snobs, bossy people, arrogance, and suspicious newcomers. In fact, he downright hates those people and is not afraid to show it (e.g. Crabannan). If there is one of those strangers who cross his path, I can provide some tension.
Old 11-03-2009, 02:02 PM   #1805
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Well, Legate, even if the trouble is unrest due to a new command doesn't mean that a trully bad apple wouldn't be accepted to make things even MORE interesting.
Oh, but surely. Although, even if there is not, some might "find" it somewhere... *points to own post*

I don't know what Lithor is like generally, but there hardly could have been a different reaction from Hilderinc.

As for what now, I am basically done with this aspect, it seems: I don't know what others are planning, but could we perhaps slowly move towards the next stage, i.e. things are unloaded, now some meal or something? Of course, anybody can still approach Hilderinc if there is something momentary (or if perhaps any of the guys he's been talking to wants to engage and continue in a dialogue with him). I just don't have any ideas right now where to sent him or to put him. Also, maybe Coen will be coming this way soon to check if the things went all right? Whatever. Just letting people know that I am basically free of duties now, it seems.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Old 11-03-2009, 02:29 PM   #1806
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Ha! Foley, shall we ruin the whole place? Javan, Cnebba and Garmund, Wulfric and Wilheard and some troublemaker new arrival? Sounds promising!

In other words, I'm off to write a post. <3
Old 11-03-2009, 03:16 PM   #1807
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Dang boy! That Hildernic is a tough nut to crack. Never fear, Lithor won't give up that easy. Also, if you need to know what he's like, Legate, simply check out his bio (I don't know if you've done that yet). Is Hildernic done speaking to the gang then? If not, would it be alright with Nogrod if I introduced some of his characters, Stigend and Harreld (you did take over for him right) to the soldiers?

P.S. What does <3 mean? I am not big on abbreviations.
Old 11-03-2009, 03:25 PM   #1808
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groin Redbeard View Post
P.S. What does <3 mean? I am not big on abbreviations.
It's a heart - doesn't it look like one if you look more closely?

And my post seems to become megalomaniac, but I wanted to post for all my characters... (Cnebba included)
Old 11-03-2009, 03:25 PM   #1809
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
Dang boy! That Hildernic is a tough nut to crack. Never fear, Lithor won't give up that easy. Also, if you need to know what he's like, Legate, simply check out his bio (I don't know if you've done that yet). Is Hildernic done speaking to the gang then? If not, would it be alright with Nogrod if I introduced some of his characters, Stigend and Harreld (you did take over for him right) to the soldiers?
Ha, looking forward to it And as for Lithor, I have checked his bio (a few times already ), though of course it does not show how he acts in particular situations. But it does not matter, I didn't mean that I need to know that, Hilderinc is going to know him only from the way he interacts with him.

And as for Hilderinc, yes, he is done, like I said. He is open either to somebody continuing the discussion with him, or if nobody wants, somebody else can take him, or anything. "Free for grabbing".
Old 11-03-2009, 03:45 PM   #1810
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Foley, Nienna, Nog - I hope what I wrote about the boys is ok. If not, I can change. Nienna, you can continue it from there: I assume Aedre would notice her stuff being mishandled.

And as usual, those whose characters I used (Kath, Lhuna, Eönwë, feel free to comment if changes are needed. (Not that any of you seems to be around... mwa ha ha. )
Old 11-03-2009, 03:50 PM   #1811
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
I've been playing werewolf... Sorry...

But will go to the thread right now and write an ending to the "counsel".

And as I said in my last post here - I think - the next thing should be the banquet where people would have more chances to meddle with each other in different surroundings, with the power of some ale if not otherwise. But you might wish to fill in any meetings that are somehow in the middle of going somewhere before it?

The main thing plotwise would be that lord Athanar would speak there and make a few announcements concerning the Mead Hall - and the people would react to that.

Anyone can start writing the banquet when it feels like the time for it - let's say from Friday onwards? Thus people would have time to end their discussions & meetings with others before the banquet. Just don't write it into the late hours (gametime) before lord Athanar speaks...

PS. lord Athanar would not open the party by a speech but would speak during the first hours of it anyway.
Old 11-03-2009, 03:56 PM   #1812
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Sounds cool, Nogrod.

Btw, in case it's unclear, Modtryth will soon be helping with the unloading but I think I'll have to send her off somewhere so that she won't be there to see Cnebba getting in trouble an ruining it by interfering. Anyway, feel free to interact with her.
Old 11-03-2009, 04:01 PM   #1813
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Yep...we can turn things upside down. Nienna, you take it from here, I think.

Hey, Lommy, is what's-his-name really going to fight with Thornden?

-- Foley
Old 11-03-2009, 04:11 PM   #1814
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Quote:
Hey, Lommy, is what's-his-name really going to fight with Thornden?
He might be an idiot, but he wouldn't do that without a reason. Thornden would need to insult him or someone close to him rather badly, get on his way when he's very drunk ( ) and irritate him, or then there has to be a tournament or sorts. Or he might want to practise his skills against him but I doubt that - I think he'd stick to practising with his brother and maybe some of Athanar's soldiers...

Anyway, looking forward to him and his brother causing trouble... (just I'll be careful not to overdo it! that's why I let them more or less behave in my first post...)
Old 11-03-2009, 04:16 PM   #1815
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
He might be an idiot, but he wouldn't do that without a reason. Thornden would need to insult him or someone close to him rather badly, get on his way when he's very drunk ( )
So did I hear something about this evening?
Old 11-03-2009, 04:37 PM   #1816
Mnemosyne
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Mnemosyne Send a message via Yahoo to Mnemosyne
Lommy, verily are you the source of my grey hairs. That is all.
Old 11-03-2009, 04:44 PM   #1817
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Oh you all!!! Good-bye civilisation!

Anyway the meeting is now called off and everyone can do what they wish until the party-time... hopefully starting on Friday (RL).

But before that, do your worst! Well, do not do your worst but have fun anyway...

Btw. Mnemo: I have used Wynflaed again to make lord Athanar look clumsy on social relations (not the first time). But anytime you think it is too far-fetched or not your character's thing (or she used wrong words / expressions etc.), just let me know and I'll edit my posts according to your wishes...
Old 11-03-2009, 05:29 PM   #1818
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Wow Lommy, I never realized that you could write so evil! I hope Thornden can handle himself.
Old 11-03-2009, 05:56 PM   #1819
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
This is amusing me, and makes me want to make another character slightly less responsible than Coen. But I shall resist for now.

As for the discussion about good vs. bad characters, I'd rather not have this turn into the invading baddies vs. the good ol' boys of Scarburg (that's part of why Coen turned out the way he did). I mean, they may certainly feel that way about it, but who wants it to be that plain and simple? I think anyone's character could be construed as 'bad' in some way. You get plenty of conflict just from varying opinions and ways of life.

It also amuses me what you consider evil, Groin...

Edit: Lommy - I wrote in my post that Cnebba was struggling with his package and dropped the comb nearby Coen and Erbrand, who are standing somewhere near the Mead Hall, if this isn't correct positioning let me know! (or if anyone else sees that I am obviously wrong.) Also I hope it's alright that I just had Coen take the package from him - I figured he wouldn't protest since he's a fairly reluctant helper, but let me know if you need me to backtrack a bit.

Last edited by Durelin; 11-03-2009 at 06:32 PM.
Old 11-03-2009, 07:00 PM   #1820
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Quote:
Wow Lommy, I never realized that you could write so evil! I hope Thornden can handle himself.
Thornden can handle himself.

Tonight's class will probably end early, in which case, I hope to post for at least one of my characters.

This is so much fun!

-- Folwren
Old 11-03-2009, 07:42 PM   #1821
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durelin View Post
As for the discussion about good vs. bad characters, I'd rather not have this turn into the invading baddies vs. the good ol' boys of Scarburg (that's part of why Coen turned out the way he did). I mean, they may certainly feel that way about it, but who wants it to be that plain and simple? I think anyone's character could be construed as 'bad' in some way. You get plenty of conflict just from varying opinions and ways of life.
I couldn't agree more...

Shades of grey are always more interesting.
Old 11-03-2009, 10:10 PM   #1822
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

That is one of the most boring posts I think I've ever written. Well, that's not entirely true, but, yeah, it was pretty boring. Sorry about that.

Thornden is now out with everyone else. I think he's the only Scarburgian actually put in charge to see that stuff gets done. Everyone else in charge so far has been one of Athanar's men. That's just fine, I was just noting it.

Saeryn is off to seek Degas. She may be stopped on her way out, or she may not, whatever anyone chooses.

Javan is busy until he is needed in any post regarding the children. Nienna and Lommy, I wait for your lead on that.

And I think my business here is done for the night. See you all in the morning.

-- Foley

P.S. For anyone who is curious (which is probably nobody except me), Saeryn is about 3 months along now in her pregnancy. She and Eodwine were married August 9. It's now November 11.
Old 11-03-2009, 10:36 PM   #1823
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Quote:
P.S. For anyone who is curious (which is probably nobody except me), Saeryn is about 3 months along now in her pregnancy. She and Eodwine were married August 9. It's now November 11.
Oh it's not just you. For somebody that doesn't want kids, I like hearing about babies. Even fake ones.
Old 11-04-2009, 06:29 AM   #1824
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durelin View Post
Edit: Lommy - I wrote in my post that Cnebba was struggling with his package and dropped the comb nearby Coen and Erbrand, who are standing somewhere near the Mead Hall, if this isn't correct positioning let me know! (or if anyone else sees that I am obviously wrong.) Also I hope it's alright that I just had Coen take the package from him - I figured he wouldn't protest since he's a fairly reluctant helper, but let me know if you need me to backtrack a bit.
That's ok.

Nienna, if you continue from there, I think Garmund could be carrying Aedre's stuff and she could have seen his friend drop her mother's stuff, so she could be suspicious of either of the boys carrying anything and go complain to Garmund (who would of course think it's unfair because it was Cnebba who dropped something, not him).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groin
Evil? That was just starters...
Old 11-04-2009, 07:12 AM   #1825
Nienna
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nienna has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to Nienna Send a message via MSN to Nienna
Quote:
Nienna, if you continue from there, I think Garmund could be carrying Aedre's stuff and she could have seen his friend drop her mother's stuff, so she could be suspicious of either of the boys carrying anything and go complain to Garmund (who would of course think it's unfair because it was Cnebba who dropped something, not him).
Yup I got it. I'll have time to write up a post this afternoon or tonight. Thanks for a great opening everyone.
Old 11-04-2009, 08:11 AM   #1826
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nienna View Post
Yup I got it. I'll have time to write up a post this afternoon or tonight. Thanks for a great opening everyone.
Okay I'm not sure you meant that but please everybody (especially the new Scarburg writers), tell me if I'm treating you like simpletons or something! And the same the other way around - don't hesitate to ask if I'm being cryptic. I don't want to do either and I'm having some trouble sometimes navigating between being the assistant "leader" of this thingy and being a normal writer... just Nog you can tell me what I should be doing and what not. *confused puppy smile*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durelin
Wholeheartedly agreed. But at least with me it's that I wanted my first character to be sort of nice and with my next characters I wanted more to make them idiots, o if someone's writing both old and new folk this kind of division is rather understandable (it seems people always start with nice characters and then move onto unpleasant ones... I wonder why).

Anyway, I'm sure the original Scarburgians will be able to cause some distraction with their tricky character traits - Saeryn and Degas are rather naive and rash, the young soldiers (Osmund and Aethelred the NPCs and Matrim too) can be almost as idiots as Wulfric and Wilheard, Erbrand is probably the most hot-headed person around, Crabannan's quite twisted, Rowenna and Dan are sort of unreliable and the boys of course are always causing trouble. And even the others can definitely cause trouble, even the seemingly very nice ones. I'm actually looking forward to that. *evil grin*

Lastly, I think I never properly commented on Groin's magnificient pictures - I like them very very much. The picture of Erbrand and Stigend must be my favourite, though, it's somehow just the coolest. And as for the Ginna/Modtryth mixture, it's funny, I think she looks like both although I don't definitely think they look alike. Maybe she looks more like Modtryth than Ginna though - Modtryth is dark like the woman in the picture while Ginna is blonde, and the expression is more Modtryth-like too. I actually have a very clear of what Moftryth (and Cnebba) look like, but I couldn't draw that (especially after seeing those pieces of art! )

~*~

Pio, the link on Wulfric and Wilheard connects to the character list itself instead of their bios. Can you correct it? This would be the address for the right link http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showpos...postcount=1624 EDIT: DONE! ~*~ Pio

Last edited by piosenniel; 11-04-2009 at 02:28 PM.
Old 11-04-2009, 09:36 AM   #1827
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Oh my Lommy! Those two boys are just soo... true.

I mean I can see two such ADHD-cases in RL as well...

Foley: I think your post was quite heartbreaking and not boring in the least.

But I'd like you to consider the following suggestion: as you said yourself the Scarburgians would have thought of the order and usage of rooms already before. So if Saeryn sleeps in a shared ladies quarters, then it is a conscious decision of the Scarburg-people. Would they have made such a decision? I think the people of the MH would not like that solution - thus making it Saeryn's insistence on it if she sleeps there?

It would be a day's work to just hoist a wall dividing the ladies quarters into a larger hall-kind of space and a smaller private room - or a few days if the wall was intended as a permanent structure. So they would have had ample time for it.

And if they had like two weeks or something between the news of the new eorl and his arrival the craftsmen could have done much more, like building a totally new room for lady Saeryn or something.

So I'd suggest Saeryn would have a room of her own - and her own things in there.

But it's up to you Foley.
Old 11-04-2009, 09:38 AM   #1828
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Lommy, I love your posts, and I hate those two characters! It's so insulting to hear Thornden thought of as a 'peasant soldier'. The stuck up snobs. I just want to knock them both upside the head. But that's great! That's why I enjoy it so much. Hehehehehe.

So, it's really looking like we don't need any more truly bad characers. Athanar's family is doing a great job filling those rolls, and Legate's character seems kinda prickly, too, though in a different sort of way. I am probably not going to take on Scyrr, or whatever his name was.

Fea, I'm so excited about Saeryn's baby, it's insane. I'm glad you're looking forward to it, too. I figured you might be one of the few actually interested. Not necessarily 'cause you like hearing about babies, but that Saeryn was your character.

-- Foley

X-posted with Nogrod.

Um....I'm not really sure how long it woul take to build something like that or what kind of materials it would take, but I'm sort of under the impression that they wouldn't like to use stuff for something like that. I could be wrong, though. I don't really care, I guess. I'll change it, if you think it's best to be changed.
Old 11-04-2009, 09:45 AM   #1829
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
I'm glad you're looking forward to it, too. I figured you might be one of the few actually interested. Not necessarily 'cause you like hearing about babies, but that Saeryn was your character.
I feel like an expectant grandma. I want all the details, and I plan to buy tiny little shoes and bibs that say, "I love my gramma."
Old 11-04-2009, 09:46 AM   #1830
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Nogrod, I went ahead and edited that post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fea
I feel like an expectant grandma. I want all the details, and I plan to buy tiny little shoes and bibs that say, "I love my gramma."
Haha! Okay. How 'bout we plan the details together?

-- Foley
Old 11-04-2009, 09:48 AM   #1831
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Quote:
Haha! Okay. How 'bout we plan the details together?
Ooh! I'm in.
Old 11-04-2009, 11:10 AM   #1832
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Lastly, I think I never properly commented on Groin's magnificient pictures - I like them very very much. The picture of Erbrand and Stigend must be my favourite, though, it's somehow just the coolest. And as for the Ginna/Modtryth mixture, it's funny, I think she looks like both although I don't definitely think they look alike. Maybe she looks more like Modtryth than Ginna though - Modtryth is dark like the woman in the picture while Ginna is blonde, and the expression is more Modtryth-like too. I actually have a very clear of what Moftryth (and Cnebba) look like, but I couldn't draw that (especially after seeing those pieces of art!)
Thanks Lommy, I'm glad that you liked them. You were the one who started all of my drawings with that Dwarf you sent me (the one with the rifle). More will be coming as all the new characters progress in the story line.

Legate, I was thinking about it last night, Lithor said that the brawler (Matrim) would not be hard to find because he might have a couple bruises or marks that showed he was in a fight. I remember that Erbrand looks like a walking punching bag after his fight with Oeric, it would be funny if Hildernic thought Erbrand was the brawler.

P.S. Drats! That won't happen. I'm heading out of state for a hunting trip for eight days. Oh well, but I hate to miss out on all the action around here. I don't leave until Friday morning though, so I can write one more post for my characters between now and then.
Old 11-04-2009, 11:39 AM   #1833
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
Legate, I was thinking about it last night, Lithor said that the brawler (Matrim) would not be hard to find because he might have a couple bruises or marks that showed he was in a fight. I remember that Erbrand looks like a walking punching bag after his fight with Oeric, it would be funny if Hildernic thought Erbrand was the brawler.
Well, but that can as well still happen - thanks for the tip! Hilderinc does not need to do anything about the matter rightaway, but he can as well notice Erbrand and think "ha, so this is the guy!" and remember him and in the future think about him as of the brawler

I think misunderstandings are fun

Quote:
P.S. Drats! That won't happen. I'm heading out of state for a hunting trip for eight days. Oh well, but I hate to miss out on all the action around here. I don't leave until Friday morning though, so I can write one more post for my characters between now and then.
Ah well, a pity. But perhaps some of the action will still be in progress when you return...
Old 11-04-2009, 02:11 PM   #1834
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Nogrod, I went ahead and edited that post.
Good! I think it looks better now.

But that actually brings forward a more general issue about the lodgings.

In the former Mead Hall they lived quite comfortably. Fex. Stigend, Modtryth and Cnebba had their own "family room" - as did Garstan and his children and so on. And I think they had also "guest-rooms"...

The last time we have taken a stance on these issues in Scarburg I think was when they had come to settle and there were no walls standing anywhere and they all lived under a large lean-to. Then I mentioned something about the people moving inside the main Hall as soon as it was ready enough to give cover to people - that was when we kind of re-started this.

Clearly the Hall-building is already standing and at least some of the inner spaces are kind of "done" (meaning: they exist but are not probably finished), the kitchens sure exist as they would have been the first thing to do - and apparently there are some kind of stables as well already.

I have a suggestion, let me hear what you think of it.

The main building would have a more or less ready Hall with long tables, firesides etc. Also I think it would be a two storey building and that at least part of the upper floor would be there already - including two larger halls / rooms for people to sleep and a "double-room" / suite for lord Eodwine & Saeryn.

And now part of the women's hall would have been divided with a wall to make Saeryn a room of her own as Athanar and Wynflaed have moved into the suite.

(Heh, I'm just thinking what Will & Wolf will say on the opportunity to sleep with all the other males in a shared hall... )

But sure this all is under construction as we speak...

Which means that on the next day (whenever we get to it) we really need to write a meeting between lord Athanar and the craftsmen - and possibly anyone else knowledgeable of the architectural plans (Thornden at least, I think?).

Meanwhile back in the jungle... in this discussion thread, you should tell me what kind of ideas you have concerning the future look of the Mead Hall. I'll produce something like a plan from those and then supply lord Athanar's views myself. Then we shall see how it will turn out.

And anyway, I'm trying to draw a picture of the place in general - like a larger scope view - during the weekend. All suggestions will be heard and I'll first draw just rudimentary version of it so that it can be changed according to any feedback.

Does that sound okay?
Old 11-04-2009, 02:31 PM   #1835
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

I have no preference at all about how everything's set up, as long is it's done logically and coherently. Like, privies wouldn't be next to the kitchen, any workshops wouldn't be next to sleeping quarters; single women and single men would bed down in their respective spaces; there would only be as many 'guest' rooms as there might be visiting people deserving of separate quarters (as most people would just go to the women's or men's quarters).

There'll need to be a well near the kitchens, and there'd probably also be an outdoor cooking area (think of large amounts of meat roasting on spits; they don't fit well in kitchens).

But apart from general suggestions like that? Draw what seems logical, and we can edit later. Like you said, that's always easiest.
Old 11-04-2009, 04:06 PM   #1836
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Okay....I got bored with my economics paper and decided to draw this.

Anyone from Europe, please forgive the fact that I have used the standard American measurement - the foot. A foot is about 30.5 centimeters.

What you see is the lower storey of the building. As you can see, there is a lot of extra room across from the kitchen. I was thinking of putting an armory and the room for all the men-at-arms to sleep in that space. I was also thinking of having the kitchen ladies sleep downstairs as well, but I don't know if there's room for all that. Let me know your thoughts.

Another thing that I'm concerned about is that I may have made everything too small. Please give me your input. I'm bad at picturing big things.

-- Foley
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Scarburg Meadhall.JPG (54.5 KB, 225 views)
Old 11-04-2009, 05:12 PM   #1837
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Very well written, Foley! I think the stables, where they are, is perfect. The only suggestion that I would make is to have the Kitchen on the far top left corner of the hall. Would the kitchen be considered an eyesore? Other than that, I like it.
Old 11-04-2009, 05:27 PM   #1838
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Okay, I am not really any architect (and I never completed my cartography course), but I am a long-time Dungeon Master (and thus used to drawing maps... and also measuring in feet ) and just from my opinion, it looks more or less fine, in the basic terms.

Maybe one question... how many people actually are there in the Mead Hall? (The original question that came to my mind in connection with the map was: how many horses? Like, if the stables are sufficient. If there are some riders of Éomer for one day, I guess that's not a problem, but there are probably quite many horses even permanently, so...)

As for the kitchen, Groin, that is how it was placed my LMP already in the beginning, I think... I don't see any problem with it being where it is, anyway.
Old 11-04-2009, 08:55 PM   #1839
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Quote:
Maybe one question... how many people actually are there in the Mead Hall?
Not sure precisely.

Quote:
(The original question that came to my mind in connection with the map was: how many horses? Like, if the stables are sufficient. If there are some riders of Éomer for one day, I guess that's not a problem, but there are probably quite many horses even permanently, so...)
This is a concern I had, too. Twelve stables is enough for a semi-public barn now adays, but a barn in Rohan that is public would probably need to be a lot bigger...even if there were padlocks, which there will be. I will go ahead and expand the stables and mark in fences and the like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groin
I think the stables, where they are, is perfect. The only suggestion that I would make is to have the Kitchen on the far top left corner of the hall. Would the kitchen be considered an eyesore?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate
As for the kitchen, Groin, that is how it was placed my LMP already in the beginning, I think... I don't see any problem with it being where it is, anyway.
Yeah, that's why I put it where it is.

I'll see what else I can do before I must go to bed tonight.

-- Folwren
Old 11-04-2009, 09:38 PM   #1840
Nienna
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nienna has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to Nienna Send a message via MSN to Nienna
Sting

I wasn't really sure how far to take that but now you all can add some things. Nog/Lommy if you think that Cnebba would do something different or if you feel like I misrepresented him at all feel free to let me know. And my resident editor (aka Fea) apparently went to bed right as I was sending her to read over so if there are any mistakes please let me know. Thanks!!