The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2009, 02:56 PM   #1
thewichtking
Animated Skeleton

thewichtking is still gossiping in the Green Dragon.
1420! Which of the three TLotR books is your favorite????????

of the three tlotr book's witch one is your favorite??????

Last edited by thewichtking; 02-11-2009 at 08:26 PM.
thewichtking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 06:31 PM   #2
CSteefel
Wight

CSteefel has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewichtking View Post
of the three tlotr book's witch is one your favorite??????
I would have to say that The Fellowship of the Ring is still my favorite, with the brilliant way in which the history of the Ring is revealed (in contrast to the movie), the surreal terror makes its way into the Shire, the flight through the wild lands east of Bree, the Council of Elrond, and then the journey through Moria. The focus is on a smaller group of characters large and small (in stature as well as "importance"), while the other books shift over to a focus on the actions of royalty and their grand battles. Even in the second and third books I value the scenes most with the lesser folk, probably sections of the book that others might ignore (the part where Frodo and Sam negotiate the Morgai)...
Old 02-07-2009, 08:25 AM   #3
thewichtking
Animated Skeleton

1420!

what does no one like the lord of the rings? apparently because no one is posting witch is there favorite tlotr book!

something, something, something Musiiiiiiic and strike a pose!
"Count Oloff"
thewichtking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 08:03 PM   #4
radagastly
Shade of Carn Dūm

radagastly is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Originally posted by thewichtking:
Quote:
what does no one like the lord of the rings? apparently because no one is posting witch is there favorite tlotr book!
I think the problem here is that Tolkien originally wrote this as a single volume, and, times being what they were (just barely post WWII, paper unavailable) he was forced by his publisher to split it into three volumes. They did not have the resources to publish the entire book as a single volume and still make a profit. The only reason it's a Trilogy is practical, not artistic. It was meant to be read as a single, continuous narrative, not a trilogy. It's hard to choose one volume when the story is clearly only one volume to begin with.

That said, I still must say that "Fellowship" is my favorite. I've always preferred Act I to Act III. Set-up is far more difficult than the final pay-off. If you write ten chapters that are great, the last three pretty much write themselves. Not entirely, but rather effectively.

It must be difficult to write a climax, THE DESTRUCTION OF THE RING, when other adventures, the marriage of Aragorn, the Coronation of the King, the journey back to the Shire with Saruman and all the other encounters were still to come.

"The Scouring of the Shire" is the climax of the story as far as Tolkien is concerned. Same for most of it's readers (though, not necessarily it's movie fans.)

As far as "Favorites" are concerned, I still go back to "Fellowship." Set-up is far more challenging. I stand by it!
Old 02-07-2009, 08:21 PM   #5
Ibrīnišilpathānezel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ibrīnišilpathānezel is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Ibrīnišilpathānezel is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
To me, they are all one book. It was only for the convenience of publication that LotR was split into three volumes, and I don't even own a three-volume version of it anymore. If I had to pick, though, I would probably weigh it by which volume had the most of my favorite chapters. By that method of choosing, The Two Towers would just barely edge out The Return of the King. I know that when I wrote my symphonies based on LotR, I had to make the one for TTT a suite because it had so many elements that inspired me, I had far too many movements for an even vaguely traditional symphony. I suppose that's a fair indicator of which I liked the most.
Old 02-07-2009, 09:18 PM   #6
radagastly
Shade of Carn Dūm

radagastly is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Originaly posted by Ibrīnišilpathānezel:
Quote:
By that method of choosing, The Two Towers would just barely edge out The Return of the King. I know that when I wrote my symphonies based on LotR, I had to make the one for TTT a suite because it had so many elements that inspired me, I had far too many movements for an even vaguely traditional symphony. I suppose that's a fair indicator of which I liked the most.
Clearly, you chose the most challenging parts for your symphony. (By the way, I wish I could hear it! It's exactly what Tolkien wanted! Other works inspired by his work. Exactly what he was after.)

In the meantime, I stand by my choice of "The Fellowship of the Ring" as my favorite. Can't really tell you why, except what I've already said.
Old 02-07-2009, 10:27 PM   #7
Ibrīnišilpathānezel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ibrīnišilpathānezel is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Ibrīnišilpathānezel is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
If you go here, you can hear or download some of what I've written. Since I don't have an orchestra at my disposal (I wish! ), these are the best I can do with what sampled instruments I have available to me. That will soon improve, as a new loaded for bear computer and additional sample libraries were my husband's Christmas presents to me, but it takes a long time to rescore and rerecord things, alas. I've written much more than is available on my website; when I originally wrote these works, I only had rather lousy MIDI synthesis available to me, and I can't bear to listen to those versions anymore (nor can I bear to have others listen to them). But someday, they will all be revised and reposted, and I will write more. I have in mind another symphony, based on the story of Beren and Luthien....

But that's literally another story -- or book, isn't it? Back to the original topic...
Old 02-08-2009, 12:31 PM   #8
thewichtking
Animated Skeleton

1420!

OK I'll change it which is your favorite part in the whole tlotr trilogy?
and just to get a little off the subject i first read the tlotr book's or book (which ever it is) after i had watched the movies for the first time about a year ago so i can't get my own idea of what Aragron, gimli, legoles, and so on look like. oh well back to the main subject

Old 02-08-2009, 01:10 PM   #9
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
"Favorite" topics are located in the Novices and Newcomers section of the forum so that all members can express their opinions. I'm moving this thread; please continue reading and discussing there.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 10:42 AM   #10
Tilion the Wayward
Newly Deceased

Tilion the Wayward has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrīnišilpathānezel View Post
If you go here, you can hear or download some of what I've written. Since I don't have an orchestra at my disposal (I wish! ), these are the best I can do with what sampled instruments I have available to me. That will soon improve, as a new loaded for bear computer and additional sample libraries were my husband's Christmas presents to me, but it takes a long time to rescore and rerecord things, alas. I've written much more than is available on my website; when I originally wrote these works, I only had rather lousy MIDI synthesis available to me, and I can't bear to listen to those versions anymore (nor can I bear to have others listen to them). But someday, they will all be revised and reposted, and I will write more. I have in mind another symphony, based on the story of Beren and Luthien....

But that's literally another story -- or book, isn't it? Back to the original topic...
I've been cruising this site for a few weeks & after having listened to your compositions I felt obliged to register in order to tell you I enjoyed what you created. Thank you for the link.
Old 05-17-2009, 11:37 AM   #11
TheOrcWithNoName
Animated Skeleton

TheOrcWithNoName has just left Hobbiton.
Like book: like film, my favourite "volume" would have to be "Fellowship..."

Others on here have expressed similar opinions to my own as to why this volume stands out so well. For me I don't think there was an ounce of fat on either medium for this section of the book, and always has me completely ensorcelled everytime I read it.

The Two Towers & Return Of.... are both awesome books, far better than the films, but they tend to be a little overdone in places. There have been times where, after completing the first book I sometimes give up half way through The Towers because it doesn't always hold me constantly in quite the same way as Fellowship.

Similarly with the films, Fellowship, I can rewatch many times without the need for pressing the fast-forward button. But the other two films, not so much.