Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2005, 10:48 PM   #721
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Since I believe the future of the plot and many hours of planning require that Mogul continues to command a significant force, I: (1) hope you guys don't kill everyone; and (2) guarantee that if you do kill everyone in sight, it will turn out to only be the vanguard.

-Mith, the Spoilsport
Old 03-12-2005, 04:13 AM   #722
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Kuru, that is a fantastic post - you had me laughing out loud when I read it this morning! I love the eucatastrophe discussion, the Black Speech and the "all your base" references - among other things...

I look forward to seeing what turns the story will take!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Old 03-12-2005, 01:03 PM   #723
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
The Eye

Kuru, I'm impressed with the reference to the UK ban on hunting.

Great post!

But I must echo Mith's sentiments and request: first that you don't wipe out the entire force (or I will just have to bring another into play ) or any significant characters, secondly that it becomes clear that Hornme and the dubiously acquired guns are not sufficient alone to vanquish Mogul's entire force and thirdly that you do not recapture Gravlox.

Not just yet, anyway. An encounter with Mogul himself is on the cards, so if anyone wants to take us to a suitable point for that to occur, then that would be great. Just leave his entrance to me ...
Old 03-12-2005, 05:43 PM   #724
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots Spoilers

Not to spoil a potential future joke, but everyone should remember that we are not that far away from the orcs "respawn" point (to borrow the gamer term for it) should worst come to worst.
Old 03-20-2005, 07:27 PM   #725
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Save. Filled. In.
Old 03-22-2005, 02:52 AM   #726
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Thanks, Diamond! Chaos and anachronism, blood and gore - what more could an Entish Bow post have to offer?! I sure hope Merisu was out of the way, or it will take her forever to wash and dry her hair, her blouse, her skirt... Rim's next, or anyone who cares to post this week - saves can be moved if necessary.

I will post next week and the climactic battle events start with the beginning of April. Should anyone have developments that need to take place before then, please prepare them with a post during March or let me know so that I can set them up in my post next week. Those who have done extensive battle and related sub-plotting, prepare for action soon!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Old 03-22-2005, 04:32 AM   #727
Rimbaud
The Perilous Poet

Rimbaud has just left Hobbiton.
Like some horses, I'm dun.
Old 03-22-2005, 10:46 AM   #728
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Eye

Any more for the slaughter, or is it time for Mogul to put in an appearance?
Old 03-22-2005, 03:52 PM   #729
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Good - and fast! - job, Rim! Star Wars battles and puns, even on the discussion thread - oh my!

Saucy, as far as I'm concerned, unless someone lets you know PDQ that they wish to post ASAP, go ahead and introduce Mogûl. By all means let's get on with the plot, such as it is!
Old 03-28-2005, 06:01 PM   #730
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Eye

Sorry for the delay folks. We were away for Easter (on the Isle of Wight ).

I am working on a post and should have it up in the next day or so.

Mogûl and the Itship are soon to be introduced. He will of course be looking to make some deals. I thought a short post from each member of the company (or those still with us, at least) in which they are offered their heart's (or, in some cases, bank balance's) desire might be quite fun. Would anyone be up for that?
Old 03-29-2005, 01:20 AM   #731
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Well, if that holiday location doesn't inspire you, Saucy, I don't know what could! The offers by Mogûl sound like a very good idea to get everyone involved briefly again. IIRC, Lush should be back from spring break now, so the only one I'm not sure is still with us is Thena. Roll call - who's here this week?
Old 03-29-2005, 03:04 AM   #732
Rimbaud
The Perilous Poet

Moi.
Old 03-29-2005, 07:13 AM   #733
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
I am, but, of course my character is dead (no he's not! He's just sleeping!).
Old 03-29-2005, 10:16 PM   #734
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Eye

It's up.

Apologies for the length, but someone round here has to help Esty keep the plot on course.
Old 03-30-2005, 01:23 AM   #735
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

There is no way any post of yours could be too long, Saucy!! This one is fantastic, so hilarious that I can only begin to mention my favorite laughs*; it advances the plot and wonderfully sets the scene for the next posts. You wrote very appropriately for all of the Itship characters; it should be easy for each of us to pick up the threads from there. I will begin with a post for Merisu.

*the description of the results of Reaperneep's rapier; "smaller and less cohesive" Aerophaunts; Kuru's “That only counts as one!”; the non-Deus-Ex-Machina appearance of the Eagles; Gatesy's movie-Gandalf explanation of death ; the great song parody; the effect Môgul's appearance had on each Itship member...
Old 03-30-2005, 06:59 AM   #736
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Mission fulfilled - my save is filled in. Anyone can go next; I only request that saves in this current situation do not stay open for longer than a day, so that posting can move along quickly.
Old 03-30-2005, 09:09 AM   #737
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Great posts Saucepan and Esty! But foregive me if I have little sympathy for Mogul.

Saucepan, I will be sending you a PM shortly regarding a matter of mutual interest.
Old 03-31-2005, 06:32 AM   #738
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Eye

I think you should all feel very sympathetic. It's not easy being the bad guy, you know.

Wonderful post, Esty. Just the sort of thing that I had in mind (although I was, of course, expecting each member of the Itship to succumb to their various temptations. ). I did have one thought though. Merisu's parting words might make it more suitable for the final vision in the sequence. What do you think?

Anyway, who's up next? It would be nice to have something, however brief, from each member of the Itship. Rim, Lush, Kuru and Diamond can take care of Hal, Leninia, Kuruharan, Chrysophylax, Pimpi and Vogonwe. And hopefully Thenamir can be enticed to post for Gatesy. Any takers for Orogarn and Reaperneep?

Soregum and Grrralph remain unaffected (unless Grrralph wants to have a dream ...).

PM received and replied to, Mith.
Old 03-31-2005, 06:44 AM   #739
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

No problem, Saucy! I just wanted to be a good example [insert smiley with halo here] for everyone. I can move the post if it works better that way. I'll leave it up for now and see what happens.

I volunteer to post for Orogarn - I won't put up a save, but hope to write that within a day or so. Umm, do you want him to succumb or resist temptation?

It is, of course, possible for any or all to post for their Velour characters - what happened to them after the Itship left so abruptly??
Old 04-01-2005, 04:50 AM   #740
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

I have posted Orogarn's temptation scene; Merisu's will be moved to the end of the sequence when all others have posted. Please make the outcome of your temptation scenes ambiguous, at least; better yet, have your character(s) succumb at first. Merisu's resistance will turn the tide at the end.

If anyone wishes to post for Reaperneep after doing so for your own characters, please let me know. Otherwise I will write for him later on.

PS - I added a PS to the letter, remembering the running gag that our honoured Wight used to put into each missive...

Last edited by Estelyn Telcontar; 04-01-2005 at 05:11 AM.
Old 04-02-2005, 01:29 PM   #741
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Thanks for continuing the story, Kuru! That's a great post, the perfect temptation for a Dwarf! Will you be writing one for Chrys as well?

OK, let's keep the story moving, folks - I look forward to more posts!
Old 04-02-2005, 04:06 PM   #742
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Thumbs up

Devouring defaulting debtors while wallowing in unparalled riches is Chrysophylax's temptation.

In some way, he'll probably get what he wants no matter what happens. That's what happens when you focus on the simple things in life...like eating everything not nailed down.
Old 04-02-2005, 10:50 PM   #743
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Bravo Kuru and Diamond! Excellent posts and very in character. Now we know what makes Kuruharan, Chrysophylax and Vogonwë tick.
Old 04-03-2005, 12:32 PM   #744
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Silmaril

Thanks, Mith.

I'll be posting something for Pimpi-love as soon as I have it written. It will make no difference if others post between the two.
Old 04-03-2005, 02:32 PM   #745
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Great post, Diamond! You really know what a guy dreams of! Now I'm curious to see what Pimpi's temptation will be...
Old 04-03-2005, 09:18 PM   #746
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Hey Esty, I got your PM, should post something within the next couple of days. Kissy kissy.
Old 04-03-2005, 10:27 PM   #747
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Be curious no more, Esty. Pimpi has been tempted.
Old 04-04-2005, 12:56 AM   #748
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

That's a wonderfully funny post, Diamond, especially since the inner desires of each of the happy couple are so opposed to each other! Wait a minute - that's not satire, that's real life!!

The food lists were highly enjoyable reading - I could be tempted by something like that... [sigh]
Old 04-04-2005, 03:52 AM   #749
Rimbaud
The Perilous Poet

Great posts recently. I've added a poor cousin to the end, just to display Hal's hang-ups.

~ R
Old 04-04-2005, 06:19 AM   #750
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

No poor cousin this, Rim! Just a lovely turnaround of rivalling brothers' roles, and the wonderfully symbolic, archetypal use of an apple! Good job.

It's so nice to have you all posting, and encouraging to me to hope that we can indeed finish the story as I'd planned.
Old 04-04-2005, 06:02 PM   #751
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Boots

Shh. Don’t say that. You’ll jinx us.
Old 04-04-2005, 06:48 PM   #752
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Silmaril

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estelyn Telcontar
That's a wonderfully funny post, Diamond, especially since the inner desires of each of the happy couple are so opposed to each other! Wait a minute - that's not satire, that's real life!!
Well, both fantasies involve Pimpi doing a lot of killing, so there is some common ground. They may have to just build from there.
Old 04-10-2005, 06:43 PM   #753
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Eye

I will be away travelling for the next week, returning on Friday. I have my next post more or less ready to go. So hopefully I'll be able to put it up when I get back, Lush and Thena willing.
Old 04-11-2005, 01:31 AM   #754
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Thanks for letting us know, Saucy, and have a good trip! Lush posted elsewhere within the last couple of days, so I have hopes that she will be getting hers written this week. I will post for Reaperneep, as promised, within a day or two. Problem is, I haven't seen Thena around in awhile - should he be unable to post, is there anyone with enough PC savvy to write a temptation post for Gatesy? I'll PM him in hopes that he will get a message, at least.
Old 04-12-2005, 03:35 PM   #755
Thenamir
Spectre of Capitalism

Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Message received, save placed, fill-in-of-save coming soon. Apologies to all, I have been utterly swamped with a massive project on a short deadline. Said deadline is this Friday, so hopefully it won't be too long until the save is filled in. Gatesy, though, will have a far different temptation, owing to his contract and deal with Mogul...
Old 04-13-2005, 12:57 PM   #756
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

It's good to know that you're still able to carry on with us, Thena! I look forward to your post - and to Lush's as well. [poke]

I have posted for Reaperneep; my apologies to C. S. Lewis...

Should you wish to move your save so as to take place after that, Thena, that's fine. I don't know how dramatic you intend to get!
Old 04-18-2005, 01:20 AM   #757
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Helloooooo!

Esty, I just got your message on my blog. This is a horrible horrible time for me, things fall apart, the centre cannot hold, and I'm absolutely drowning in assignments and general craziness. I'm going to marches, I'm trying to save the world and solve everybody's problems, and I'm trying to get on the Dean's List as well, and I fear I will fail at everything and fall apart completely.

I should have a lull Thursday afternoon. Then I will be able to post. I've been conceptualizing for a while, I just can't seem to be able to sit down and actually do it.

Much Love,
Natalia
Old 04-18-2005, 05:36 AM   #758
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

OK - good luck for everything, Lush! I suggest you put up a save for your post, then I shall contact Thena to see if he wants to move his. That will close this round of temptation posts. As soon as that's done, Saucy can go ahead and post his next part - the saves won't change anything in the ongoing plot.

We need to decide who will survive the battle - those of you who are having problems keeping up, please let me know. We can figure out an appropriate demise or exit for you - that would leave you with only one more post to write - or if you can't, one of us who is still around will do that.

Saucy, Mith, I know you're doing some behind-the-scenes plotting, but to coordinate things so that we can finally wrap this RPG soon, I need at least an idea of how to plan for your developments.

I'm getting a bit discouraged with the lagging here, so I'd appreciate some clear commitments - please plan to write your posts as needed or let me know if you cannot do so. I can no longer keep this story going with so few active players.
Old 04-19-2005, 09:34 AM   #759
Thenamir
Spectre of Capitalism

Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
My save should be filled in by the end of the day (USA time). I cast myself at your feet in abject apologetic groveling for my spotty presence of late.
Old 04-19-2005, 02:30 PM   #760
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Great, Thena - something to look forward to! Lush has put up a save as well, so now I will move Merisu's post to the end of this series, then Saucy can continue.