The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies > Best of ... Movies Discussions
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-07-2002, 01:49 PM   #1
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril Best of... Movies forum 2002

Here are posts that were discovered and saved during renovation - they are so thoughtful, insightful or humorous that they are well worth keeping! (Posted in random order.)<P><B>Morquesse</B> provided quotes in answer to the question of Christopher Tolkien's opinion on the movies:<P><B>Tolkien family not on speaking terms due to 'Rings' film</B><BR>London-The family of writer J.R.R. Tolkien is divided over the the film version of the Lord of the Rings, a newpaper said sunday.<BR>The Independent on sunday said 77-year-old Christopher Tolkien, one of the late author's children, won't see or talk to his eldest son, Simon Tolkien, because Simon Tolkien supported the filming of the epic fantasy. The film is to open later this month, and two sequels are expected to follow.<BR>Simon Tolkien, 42, a lawyer, said he has been excluded from the family's business affairs because of his support. Christopher Tolkien has played a major role in overseeing the Tolkien legacy and reportedly disliked eariler attempts at bringing the stories to the screen.<BR>"My father has refused to have anything to do with me or my son, who is 11, for three years, and he has rejected all request to have a meeting. As long as 1999, it was my view that we should take a more positive line of on the and that was overruled by my father. Following that, I was excluded from the board of the Tolkien company," Simon Tolkien was quoted as saying.<BR>J.R.R Tolkien sold the film rights for the Lord of the Rings in 1968 for 10,000 pounds, the equivalent of $14,500. <P><B>Tolkien's son breaks silence over "The Lord of the Rings"</B><BR>London-breaking his silence over the film 'the Lord of the Rings', the son of fantasy writer J.R.R. Tolkien says he is not critical of the way the film has interpeted his father's classic books.<BR>Report suggest that Christopher Tolkien was unhappy about how the the films of the trilogy had been made that he had fallen out with family members.<BR>But in a statement issued Friday, Tolkien said that while he had doubts about the viability of the projects, these were personal opinions.<BR>Tolkien said that his position is that 'The Lord of the Rings' is unsuitable for tranformation into visual dramatic form. <BR>'On the the other hand, I reconize that this is a dabatable and complex question of art, and the suggestions that have been made that I "disapprove" of the films, whatever their cinematic quality, even to the extent of thinking ill of those with whom I may differ, are wholly without foundation,' he said.<BR>J.R.R. Tolkien sold the film rights to his books in 1969, leaving his family and those in charge of his estate with no control over the movies.<p>[ December 07, 2002: Message edited by: Estelyn Telcontar ]
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote