The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-20-2002, 02:15 AM   #1
Durregiel

Sting Valar Children??

Sorry if this is a really dumb question, but i was reading the sil the other day and realised that Tolkien did not say anything about the Valar having kids. I didn't think they did but just wondering if any body out there could tell me what a dumbarse i am for even putting up this question....and that the Valar didnt have any children.. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 02-20-2002, 07:31 AM   #2
Niphredil Baggins
Wight

Niphredil Baggins has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The Valar were a bit like angels to Tolkien, and can you imagine angels having children? [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 02-20-2002, 08:22 AM   #3
Elven-Maiden
Shade of Carn Dűm

Elven-Maiden has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

I agree, the Valar don't have any real children. Their creations, like water, trees, and mountains are their children. They look after them and love them. Aule, the one who made the dwarves, was the closest one who came to having any real children.

Mobilis in Mobile
Elven-Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2002, 10:52 AM   #4
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Sting

Melian the Maia, a member of the same order as the Valar (though of much less power than they) took a corporeal form and had a child. I don't see why the Powers could not have done the same if they'd wanted. However, this would have been out of line with their purposes , which were to prepare the World for the coming of Elves and Men and then govern it to the design of Ilúvatar.
Old 02-20-2002, 09:25 PM   #5
Durregiel

Sting

Thanks ,just what i thought. Thank you to all those who replied. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-30-2003, 10:26 PM   #6
Silmarien
Wight

Silmarien has just left Hobbiton.
Question

I was looking through some old threads and found this question. I half remeber reading somewhere that Melian gave birth to Luthien in elvish form or something.

Also the Dwarves were Aule's children weren't they, but not Yavanna's. Maybe one reason she was so annoyed was cause he had children on his own without her. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Is it possible that some Valar or Maiar had children who where just lesser maiar or something. Then again before the elves and men came along they probably didn't know about reproduction.

Anyway bringing this thread to the top for others to read and hopefully to spark some debate.
Though here at journeys end I lie in dakness buried deep, beyond all towers strong and high beyond all mountains steep, above all shadows rides the Sun and Stars forever dwell:I will not say the Day is done nor bid the Stars farewell!
Silmarien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 06:03 AM   #7
Noxomanus
Wight

Noxomanus has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

In Tolkiens earlier writings several of the Valar had children,some of these children were abondoned and others were changed in later writings. For example,at first Eonwë and Ilmarë were the children of Manwë and Varda,but in later writings they were transformed into Maiar of those two Valar.
Old 07-31-2003, 10:03 AM   #8
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

I think originally they were just a superior race to the Elves in Tolkien's mind, but later on, as the legendarium evolved, they became a higher, purer race, and higher, purer races don't usually have kids. That was when their "children" were turned into their Maiar.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 06:05 PM   #9
Novberaid
Animated Skeleton

Novberaid has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

Elven Maiden hit it exactly right as I recall
in reading the Silmarillion. Aule made the
dwarves, but I do not recall any others
making other races. They were in the world
to make it ready for the Children of Iluvatar, according the Music they heard.
Old 08-13-2003, 09:42 PM   #10
Cleansed Curunir
Newly Deceased

Cleansed Curunir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

In the Book of Lost Tales I, it was proposed that Orome was son of Aule and Yavanna, and Eonwe was son of Manwe and Varda. I think their was another one.

When Tolkien wrote The Silm, Orome was turned into another Vala and Eonwe a Maia, a herald of the Vala.
Cleansed Curunir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2003, 11:15 AM   #11
Dancing_Hobbit
Haunting Spirit

Location: A fairyland of mists and shadows deep in the emerald wood.
Dancing_Hobbit has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

maybe i just have a strange view of things, but i don't see why a higher race should be above having children. i'm not particularly religeous, but i don't see a problem with angels (which someone compared the Valar to) having children either. it makes sense to me that even Valar would have kids, especially if they are in any way based on or inspired by Greek mythology (which would seem likely). after all, the Greek gods had an awful lot of children! admittedly they weren't as pure as the Valar were, they were just humans with extra powers, but as i say, i don't see how being of a higher race should prevent children.
Old 08-18-2003, 03:33 AM   #12
Noxomanus
Wight

Noxomanus has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I don't see an objection in this either......but Tolkien probably did!
Old 08-18-2003, 04:52 AM   #13
Inderjit Sanghera
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Inderjit Sanghera has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The idea of Valinorean pro-creation is evident in the writings of the prose versions of the Silmarillion, and for example, Eonwe, is reffered to as 'Fionwe' son of Manwe in the BoLT's Quenta's of HoME 4 and 5, but the idea of the Vala having children was dropped the First Phase of the Later Quenta Silmarillion and we then hear that the Valar could not have children, in other essays, such as 'Osanwe-Kewnta' (Which was suprisngly unpublished, due to I think matter of space, as C.T tells us at the start of 'Quendi and Eldar')

Quote:
'The great Valar do not do these things: they beget not, neither do they eat and drink, save at the high asari, in token of their lordship and indwelling of Arda, and for the blessing of the sustenance of the Children.

"Life is so beautiful"->Don Vito Corleone
Inderjit Sanghera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2003, 03:20 PM   #14
Dancing_Hobbit
Haunting Spirit

Location: A fairyland of mists and shadows deep in the emerald wood.
Dancing_Hobbit has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

not eating or drinking would not be fun! but then, i can see the problem with eating your own creations... poor Valar!