Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2007, 12:18 AM   #1001
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Durelin,

That is great news! I know how time consuming it was for us last year when our son had to make his choice. It's a good problem to have but very time consuming. Have fun choosing!
Old 03-30-2007, 10:24 AM   #1002
Tevildo
Shade of Carn Dūm

Tevildo has just left Hobbiton.
Congratulations, Durelin! Did you want to bring us to the edge of camp? If so, I'll wait to post....
Now Tevildo was a mighty cat--the mightiest of all--and possessed of an evil spirit,...and he was in Melko's constant following; and that cat had all cats subject to him, and he and his subjects were the chasers and getters of meat for Melko's table.
Old 03-30-2007, 10:30 AM   #1003
Child of the 7th Age

Durelin,

I also wanted to check with you. Will you be doing the post that gets us into the village? If yes, I'd like to have Makdush get a glimpse of what is coming, and ride back to tell Ishkur and Gwerr....if that's alright with the other two orcs (Regin? Nogrod?).
Old 03-30-2007, 03:44 PM   #1004
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalė

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Quote:
Originally Posted by Child of the 7th Age
I'd like to have Makdush get a glimpse of what is coming, and ride back to tell Ishkur and Gwerr....if that's alright with the other two orcs (Regin? Nogrod?).
That would sound good enough.

That would also be one way of making the the two thinking better of the Uruk if he came to warn them early enough while they knew nothing about the timetable of the possible oncoming forces.. then again the two had said they were about to leave some hours ago (to make Makdush get away from the tent) and now they would be caught still remaining in the tent... not a bad thing for the overall plot, I think?

There could also be some heated words about whether they should try to help their friends that are drunk... and surely there would be no time in the end to do anything as the plot requires the others to be caught... So many places for the three (Makdush, Ishkur and Gwerr) to blame each other and to start to work together for better results...

Go for it Child!
Old 03-31-2007, 09:14 AM   #1005
Child of the 7th Age

Nogrod -

That sounds good. I also got a pm from Regin telling me to go for it.

Unless I hear otherwise from Durelin, I'll do a post where Makdush sees the men coming across on the plain before they actually enter the camp. Then he races back to Gwerr and Ishkur to give them the news. (Just to make sure, I'll even have Makdush overhear some vague snatches of conversation that indicate where the group is going.)
Old 03-31-2007, 11:37 AM   #1006
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
That sounds good to me, Child. For some reason I wasn't even thinking of getting the group to the slaver camp itself already, but that probably is best, isn't it? (I was actually just thinking of getting them out of their own camp, which Child covered.) But yes, please go ahead with your plans for Makdush.

I'll go ahead and post to get them to the slaver camp if that is preferable, but in the mean time please feel free to post anything, Tevildo and everyone. Unfortunately I have a project due on both Monday and Tuesday (each), but I cannot work without large breaks, and I will make posting my top priority when I do. Actually, I will try and write the post now...if my brain will cooperate... It's taking me forever just to write this post.

I am so, so sorry about how much I have not been around. And thank you so much for the congrats, Child and Tevildo And thank you, Child, for all your help with that applying mess. Your thoughts and experience were of great help and reassurance!
Old 03-31-2007, 07:53 PM   #1007
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Hahaha! Post finished! I'm very glad to have that done.

-- Folwren
Old 03-31-2007, 10:43 PM   #1008
Child of the 7th Age

Durelin,

Since you've got school projects, just work on it gradually and don't worry if it doesn't get up till mid-week. Once I get my post up, I think the other "orcs" will be able to post, and that will keep us going for a while.
Old 04-01-2007, 05:21 PM   #1009
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalė

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Looking good!

And sorry. We've had the annual national exams in the senior secondary high-schools during the past couple of weeks and then my choir had three performances this weekend accompanying a movie from 30's in a movie theatre (making the sounds, ie. sound-effects and music live on the spot). So I have been more than busy.

But I'm coming back again now...

Just beware!
Old 04-05-2007, 04:11 PM   #1010
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Finally posted! I hope that the content of my post is alright, as well as its placement. Let me know if it needs to be moved. Unfortunately I cannot say how much I'll be able to be on the next few days, as I am currently at relatives' house and will be until Saturday, and then on Sunday I am traveling again. I might be gone Monday and Tuesday, but at this point I think I likely will actually cancel plans for those days and then have all the time in the world (ha!) for a few days, which will NOT be spent doing homework.

But just let me know if there are any issues and I'll see to them as soon as possible!
Old 04-07-2007, 09:27 AM   #1011
Child of the 7th Age

Durelin - Looks good to me.

Nogrod, Regin --

We need to get over there fast!

Let's have a quick argument and then take off.

Everyone - We need to be careful about the timing on this.
Old 04-07-2007, 09:32 AM   #1012
Regin Hardhammer
Shade of Carn Dūm

Regin Hardhammer has just left Hobbiton.
Child - I got your pm and put up a save. I'm going to have Ishkur argue for going to help the others. That way, Gwerr can decide.

Scouts - Could you hold off attacking the orc until Nogrod and I get our posts up?

- Regin
Old 04-08-2007, 07:55 AM   #1013
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalė

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regin Hardhammer
Child - I got your pm and put up a save. I'm going to have Ishkur argue for going to help the others. That way, Gwerr can decide.

Scouts - Could you hold off attacking the orc until Nogrod and I get our posts up?
Okay, Gwerr decides then...

And yes, please wait a second. I can post today or tomorrow, as soon as Regin gets his post on first.
Old 04-08-2007, 01:37 PM   #1014
Child of the 7th Age

Firefoot,

My inbox was full, but I've cleaned it out if you want to send that pm again.
Old 04-08-2007, 02:21 PM   #1015
Child of the 7th Age

Brinniel,

Were you going to have Shae be the first one to pull a knife on the sleeping orc as we discussed earlier? Check your pm box....
Old 04-08-2007, 02:50 PM   #1016
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Yeah, that's what we talked about, so I'm still planning on it.

Right now, I'm just waiting for everyone to get their posts up. Let me know when you're all ready for Shae to make her move, and I'll start writing. Unfortunately, I can't exactly promise how fast I'll be. My RL is as crazy as everyone else's seems to be. It's the last three weeks of school, so from here on, things are about to get very stressful for me.
Old 04-08-2007, 03:27 PM   #1017
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalė

Go on Brinniel.

I've made a save for Gwerr's answer and will fill it as soon as Regin fills his. So for our part it's alright to go forwards. Just don't make anyone step into the slaver-leader's tent just yet...
Old 04-08-2007, 08:15 PM   #1018
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I'm not exactly sure where Kwell is. Could someone set me straight? Is he and Azhar with their horse with the riders who discovered the orcs? Did the ex-slaves separate?

I would like to try to write some post for Kwell. I like the character and haven't worked with him in a while.

-- Folwren
Old 04-09-2007, 04:25 AM   #1019
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalė

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folwren
I'm not exactly sure where Kwell is. Could someone set me straight?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Child in the gamethread
Within a short span of time, Lindir has accumulated his list of volunteers, "This looks to be it." he noted, calling out the names of those who had agreed to go, "Azhar, Shae, Johari, Kwell, along with Beloan and myself, and the five that I already mentioned. That makes eleven in all, which should be enough if things get tight.
And as Child agreed, Qat will be added to the list so it makes twelve.
Old 04-09-2007, 09:03 AM   #1020
Tevildo
Shade of Carn Dūm

Here I am.... Back from the dead. I have a major project that is winding down tomorrow and hope to get a post written then.

Yes, I understood we were on the same horse and with the group that was going in to the slavers' camp.
Now Tevildo was a mighty cat--the mightiest of all--and possessed of an evil spirit,...and he was in Melko's constant following; and that cat had all cats subject to him, and he and his subjects were the chasers and getters of meat for Melko's table.
Old 04-09-2007, 10:54 AM   #1021
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Hilde Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
Could anyone fill me in on where the orcs the gold laden horse is at the moment? Just curious.
Old 04-09-2007, 11:02 AM   #1022
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalė

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilde Bracegirdle
Could anyone fill me in on where the orcs the gold laden horse is at the moment? Just curious.
The horse laiden with gold is in the slaver-captain's tent with Ishkur and Gwerr who loaded it in the first place - and now also Makdush is in there. They are the three males (two orcs and the Uruk) who still are in their senses. The other males are sleeping their drunkenness off around the camp. And the females have disappeared...

We might still think together which way is the best. Should the females come to beg for mercy on the drunken and the three sensible males should then come to a rescue (which would fail) or would it be better that the three try to rescue their male-friends first and when they in the end are captured the females would come to beg for all of the males?
Old 04-09-2007, 01:49 PM   #1023
Regin Hardhammer
Shade of Carn Dūm

Save filled. Nogrod - If that's not a good lead-in at the end for you, tell me and I'll change it. Maybe we should take a minute to hide our gold? What do you think?

I kind of like the idea of us doing something very brave, almost escaping but getting caught....and the women and young boy coming to beg for our life.

Brinniel - I wouldn't mind if Shae tried to run me through later and then got stopped by Lindir. It would teach Ishkur something about female fighters. He's never encountered one.
Old 04-09-2007, 02:00 PM   #1024
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Thanks for the summary, Nogrod. Very handy to have!
Old 04-09-2007, 03:07 PM   #1025
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod
We might still think together which way is the best. Should the females come to beg for mercy on the drunken and the three sensible males should then come to a rescue (which would fail) or would it be better that the three try to rescue their male-friends first and when they in the end are captured the females would come to beg for all of the males?
Well, on one hand I think it would be neater to have the sensible males attack first and get overtaken (by pure numbers), and then have the females "come to their aid" last. I think it would be an interesting twist for both the orcs and the 'Free Peoples' that way. Plus it would leave the females pleading for the lives of the males to be spared (and putting themselves in harms way to do it) as the last thing in the Free Peoples' minds.

But then there is the issue of how much damage three male orcs could do. Well...unless they decide on a wild attack once the whole group of slaves and Fellowship is there...then I wouldn't be too concerned about how much more our poor battle-worn group can take.
Old 04-09-2007, 03:43 PM   #1026
Child of the 7th Age

Yeah....I guess I also favor the women pleading as well, but could adapt to whatever we decide to do.

But you're right about the fellowship group. Some members would be hard put to defend themselves at this point. On the other hand, if the orcs are trying to free the other "hostages", then those who were most "able" would rush forward with their swords to fight. We must have three characters in "ok" shape to do this. Lindir is hale and hearty. The trick will be to have no one, on either side, getting killed. (That would generate too much ill will for any kind of grudging cooperation to be possible.) If Shae attacked a sleeping orc, Lindir would stop her. But he is certainly not likely to tell someone not to strike a lethal blow to prevent the release of the other orcs or to protect themselves.

The question is this: are we still going with a two-pronged situation. First, Shae tries to strike a sleeping orc and is stopped by Lindir? Second, the male orcs try to attack and free their comrades?

If that is the case, I would assume that Lindir pens up the other orcs and keeps them that way overnight and sends a messenger back to the old camp to tell the others to come the next day. Then, wouldn't Ishkur, Makdush and Gwerr be more likely to stage a surprise assault in the middle of the night to free their companions? They would not so much be attacking members of the fellowship, but trying to get their own people free. But perhaps somehow, someway, Lindir has anticipated that possibility and has guards who raise the alarm and immediately ambush them so they also end up in the pen??

Is that possible, or are there other ways of looking at this?
Old 04-09-2007, 03:53 PM   #1027
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Is there the possibility of the orcs attempting only to free their comrades by trying to sneak into the pit...possibly by putting the tunnel that the Fellowship used to use again? Maybe Vror and the others didn't put the rocks back as well as they thought they had to cover it up? The orcs in the pit wouldn't be able to find it, and certainly not through the water, but the orcs outside might.

But again, Lindir could have been anticipating this, and they get caught as well in the pit. (They get into the pit to help free their companions and then a bunch of guards pop up above the pit, and there are some at the other end of the tunnel as well.) Then there isn't a direct confrontation, so neither any orcs or any of the fellowship will get harmed...?

Hope that made sense...

Basically what you're saying, Child, just fleshed out a little differently...I think.
Old 04-09-2007, 04:03 PM   #1028
Child of the 7th Age

Hmm... Interesting.

I originally wasn't thinking of the pit as the holding place, but this does make sense from a logistics standpoint. I am assuming that an individual orc would be able to do more than an individual man in terms of shifting large stones. The three orcs are able to move aside the one stone that is blocking their path. Once they are inside the actual prison, they are discovered.

The orcs would get into the inner prison but couldn't get out as folk with arrows could be positioned at the other end of the tunnel. The Fellowship could just pen them all in together. We'd just have to replace the one stone that the orcs have moved to make sure they are all trapped inside. (Maybe even use horsepower to do this?)

I think this would work for Makdush. Regin and Nogrod, how about you?
Old 04-09-2007, 04:13 PM   #1029
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalė

Regin: your lead-in was really good. Thanks!

About the situation overall: I think I'm going to fill my save with Gwerr demanding all of them to get out of the tent (with the horse - no mention to Makdush w“hy the horse is so important) and make themelves safe first. Calling for Ishkur to stay calm for a moment: it would be better they tried to sneak than just go to a full frontal attack with a dozen of humans...

So I could leave them outside the camp where the scouts can do whatever they will to the drunken orcs. If you wish I could already start the planning of the attack with Gwerr. It shouldn't be anything lengthy but a post or two and then the orcs would make their assault to save their fellows - and get caught...

I do think that Child is right that if someone gets killed the tension might be too high for any reasonable settlement thereafter. But we also have a lots of NPC characters among the scouts (some of them have only been named) so if wished for, we could also produce a dead or two ob both sides if we wished so (there are several NPCs within the orcs too).

What I was thinking is that the orcs; Makdush, Ishkur and Gwerr are real fighters. Two are thousands of years old warhorses and one is an Uruk. They would not be trapped easily... They would make a fight and not be bad at it, at least if we compare them to wounded slaves.

So any ideas?

I will post for Gwerr (and the the two others) within 24-hours as it's getting time to bed now. Happily all the rest of my questions can await as I will only post them out of the tent and possibly prepare for a rescue mission...

Let the females come forwards after the males have made their futile effort?
Old 04-09-2007, 04:45 PM   #1030
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

What do you think of them sneaking in through the tunnel into the pit (where Azhar and Kwell were kept) where their formerly drunken companions will be kept, instead of them full-out attacking a larger group?

But, as it stands, regardless of the details, I'd say we're going to go with the three males making their futile effort first and then the females coming out sometime after.
Old 04-10-2007, 06:33 AM   #1031
Regin Hardhammer
Shade of Carn Dūm

My gut feeling is that we should try and set this up so no one ends up dying. There will be so much built-in resentment between the two groups that piling deaths on top of that will be very hard to deal with. I think Durelin's idea of sneaking in through the tunnel and then getting caught would let us do this.
Old 04-10-2007, 04:34 PM   #1032
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalė

Sorry I was a bit too optimistic about my chances to write that orc-stuff today. The ww-game got a bit too exciting in the end to give me a chance to stray away from it...

But here is the outline of my post to come tomorrow if anyone (Regin / Child) wishes to move on from it.

Gwerr will speak sense to Ishkur that it's foolish to try and attack the riders full-frontal. So they will sneak out from the tent and leave the horse in a safe place (not giving any hints to Makdush, if possible). Then they will start pondering what to do and how to save their friends.

I will not include anything of this discussion so either Regin or Child could pick up from that whenever they wished. I'll end my post in the situation where they all think "what's the next move?".

If neither of you (Regin / Child) have posted when I'm making this tomorrow I will take the liberty to begin the discussion...
Old 04-11-2007, 09:30 AM   #1033
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Happy Birthday to our marvellous game owner, Child of the 7th Age!!!

*confetti and cake*

And this game will be celebrating its first birthday not too long from now, eh?
Old 04-11-2007, 02:11 PM   #1034
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Oh yes! Happy Birthday Child!!!! And many happy returns of the day!

PS Carl's post is in place.
Old 04-11-2007, 02:14 PM   #1035
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalė

Oh well! Happy birthday Child!

May you have ten times the birthdays you've already gotten!

-------
The save is filled now. Please Regin and Child check it, I tried to use your characters as little as possible as I wasn't quite sure about how they would react but we were in a hurry to get the three out from the tent.

I made Gwerr suggest they try to find the females and attack with a larger group, but clearly that is not going to happen. So we'll have to just write them not being able to search well enough or whatever. But your turn now...
Old 04-13-2007, 05:32 PM   #1036
Regin Hardhammer
Shade of Carn Dūm

This looks good. I am home for the weekend and will try to get something up.

- Regin
Old 04-13-2007, 06:04 PM   #1037
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Out of curiosity... where are the female Orcs now?
Old 04-13-2007, 06:47 PM   #1038
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalė

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefoot
Out of curiosity... where are the female Orcs now?
"Whobody" knows?

They're hidden somewhere outside the camp. Maybe at around the orc-camp, maybe somewhere else.

Only they know...
Old 04-13-2007, 07:31 PM   #1039
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalė

So great to see things moving on again!

Kudos to everyone!

It's really interesting to see this going forwards again!

Hopefully we can carry this on with the same enthusiasm (or something like it)!
Old 04-14-2007, 06:24 PM   #1040
Tevildo
Shade of Carn Dūm

My save is filled. Over to Lindir...