Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2007, 02:21 AM   #881
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Very well thought out posts Durelin & Child. You're quite wonderful mods!
Old 01-23-2007, 02:51 AM   #882
Undómë
Shade of Carn Dûm

Undómë has just left Hobbiton.
Well, there you go - post modified.

My three characters are dead - Brenna, Gwenith, and Nia. Everyone else in the grove area is alive.

The 3 slavers have put up their deadly weapons (swords, bows, etc.) and are riding about knocking the fleeing women down and netting them in order to capture them alive.

You can do what you will with who is hurt and how much, etc.....

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tevildo

You will most likely need to edit your post for Azhar - since the field is now no longer littered with dead bodies. Sorry about that!
Young she was and yet not so. The braids of her dark hair were touched by no frost, her white arms and clear face were flawless and smooth, and the light of stars was in her bright eyes, grey as a cloudless night . . .

Last edited by Undómë; 01-23-2007 at 03:32 AM.
Old 01-23-2007, 05:57 AM   #883
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Hilde Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
Oh good, I was thinking that Carl would be moping about in shock for the rest of the story!
Old 01-23-2007, 04:56 PM   #884
Tevildo
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tevildo has just left Hobbiton.
Undómë,

Sounds good. I'll edit that post tonight.

Folwren,

Yes, I'm really glad this all worked out, and I'm sorry if I gave you a great big headache.

Quote:
As to how to continue, Athwen can also run in and help. If she looks up and over to see the women and children attacked and then kind of runs forward in alarm, sees them all scattered, and then sees Azhar hurt, perhaps Dorran can jump in against the slaver, Athwen can run forward and get Azhar (move her, half carry, half drag, maybe) while Dorran distracts the slaver. And then Lindir can come and help Dorran.
I like this approach a lot. Let's run with it. I'm not sure if I'll get the post up tonight since I'm behind on everything. But I'll be working on it soon.

Addendum : My post is edited. Things are still grim, but not as helpless as before! I'll write the second part tonight or tomorrow.
Now Tevildo was a mighty cat--the mightiest of all--and possessed of an evil spirit,...and he was in Melko's constant following; and that cat had all cats subject to him, and he and his subjects were the chasers and getters of meat for Melko's table.

Last edited by Tevildo; 01-23-2007 at 05:23 PM.
Old 01-25-2007, 05:01 PM   #885
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Finally filled in my save.

Brinniel - I used Shae a little. I hope it's alright. Any of it can go or be edited if you'd like.

Child - Should I wrap up the fighting in the grove in my next post? Or do you want to post as Lindir to do that? I was going to have Shae and Khamir team up with Lindir and anyone else around to drive the slavers out of there once and for all, but I was not sure what Lindir was up to, so I didn't get that far in the save I filled in.
Old 01-25-2007, 05:27 PM   #886
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Hmm...I wonder if Khamir will ever get over his stubborness.

The post looks good, Durelin. It's probably a good thing for Shae to slow down as well, with her broken ribs and all, even though she doesn't want to admit to the pain (I guess she can be pretty stubborn too).

Hehe, what a ragged (and stubborn) pair Khamir and Shae make.

I will be sure to get my save filled in by Sunday (hopefully earlier). Folwren, I hope you won't mind but I plan to use Athwen briefly in that post. It won't be anything big, but I thought I should let you know...

Depending on what Child posts for Lindir, I may write a post for Shae within the week..
Old 01-25-2007, 07:27 PM   #887
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Should I wrap up the fighting in the grove in my next post? Or do you want to post as Lindir to do that?
Could you hold off? We had planned something. (See discussion thread just a few spots earlier.)

I am waiting for Tevildo and then Athwen to post. (Tevildo says he'll do it tonight.) Once their posts are done, Lindir will quickly tie up a scene with Carl and then both of us will head for the grove where I'll help "rescue" Tevildo's crew. Lindir will chase one slaver off to the east and mention generically that others are being chased out or slain as well....

Since we now have 30 slavers, anyone who wants to can get in a final lick. (I think Hilde plans a final post for Carl.) At that point we should be finished with this part of the game....

Pretty good, huh? We're only four months late. Meanwhile, I'm going to fill in Aiwendil's save tonight.
Old 01-25-2007, 07:34 PM   #888
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Holding off is definitely fine with me.

Sorry, I'm really confused with all that's going on, and (obviously) behind on posts. I wish I could sit back and read posts more thoroughly and in order this weekend, but with both a five page Latin "take-home test" and another project, I don't see that happening. But that's not an excuse for my disregard. I'm very sorry!
Old 01-25-2007, 09:16 PM   #889
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Child,

I'll be able to at least get up a save tomorrow. Fact is, I may even be able to write the actual post then, too, but I am not possitive. If I can't write the post, then you can move on with only my save being up. I'll outline it pretty thoroughly in the save so you can write efficiently enough without an actual post written.

-- Folwren
Old 01-25-2007, 11:37 PM   #890
Tevildo
Shade of Carn Dûm

Folwren,

I've edited my last post. The slaver has tied up Azhar and is dragging her away. I am thinking the easiest and quickest way to do this scene would be for Athwen and Dorran to come running to the grove together. Then Athwen could get Azhar loose and try to get her out of there, while Dorran starts to fight the slaver.

Could you possibly bring my character to the grove and get him positioned for the fight? Then I could take it from there. Feel free to use Dorran to set up the scene.
Now Tevildo was a mighty cat--the mightiest of all--and possessed of an evil spirit,...and he was in Melko's constant following; and that cat had all cats subject to him, and he and his subjects were the chasers and getters of meat for Melko's table.
Old 01-26-2007, 05:52 AM   #891
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

I am wondering if someone might clear something up for me. Were the wounded being kept in a place separate from the grove? I had assumed that they were very, very close if not in the same place.
Old 01-26-2007, 08:26 AM   #892
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Tevildo,

Yes, I can do what you ask, definitely. How jolly! A tied up prisoner! Those are always one of the funnest to write about. I mean, sometimes...you know...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilde Bracegirdle
I am wondering if someone might clear something up for me. Were the wounded being kept in a place separate from the grove? I had assumed that they were very, very close if not in the same place.
I have pictured the wounded being the farthest back in the grove. They were behind the women, sheltered by rocks and bushes, almost out of sight. They were in a place where even with the wind storm, there was little wind.

-- Folwren
Old 01-26-2007, 10:56 AM   #893
Child of the 7th Age

Folwren,

I would agree with that description....
Old 01-26-2007, 11:01 AM   #894
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Thanks, muchly.
Old 01-26-2007, 01:48 PM   #895
Child of the 7th Age

My save is filled. Read it and weep!

These nasties really did exist, and many of them lived in the foothills of the Plateau of Gorgoroth. They definitely did not die after the destruction of the Ring. They were said to have scattered mindlessly in many directions after the last battle. The only thing I've "changed" from Tolkien for our story is that they have now regained their ability to organize and fight.

Hopefully, both the freed slaves and orcs will realize that they both have a bigger problem than each other!
Old 01-27-2007, 07:41 PM   #896
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

My save is mostly filled

Tevildo - how on earth is Athwen to get those iron cuffs off of her??
Old 01-27-2007, 07:49 PM   #897
Child of the 7th Age

Hmm.....

I don't know what Tevildo will say, but I can think of two possibilities.

1. Steal the keys, but that would be difficult, or,

2. hack through the chain. This would be much easier to do than cutting the bands off her wrist. (those wrist cuffs could be dealt with later). Maybe just drape the chain over the top of the boulder and slam down with all your might with an axe or hammer? That way at least she is free to leave.....

Edit: OK, I see you've got her loose. My guess is that you're going to need someone skilled in metalwork. I know Lindir could do this or maybe Vror???
But it would have to wait till after the battle ended.
Old 01-27-2007, 08:12 PM   #898
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

I've cut the ropes, but I believe she is still chained to the horse. Am I wrong? Check his post. I believe he not only had her roped but also chained to him.
Old 01-27-2007, 08:25 PM   #899
Tevildo
Shade of Carn Dûm

To tell the truth, I never thought about how Azhar would get free.

The rider had one end of the chain in his hand. The other end was attached to those iron manacles that are locked on the girl's wrists. He probably looped his end of the chain around the pommel of his saddle or something like that. You could have the slaver drop the chain or have it come unattached from the saddle. That's possible. Then Azhar will be free, even though she's still dragging the chain.

You could do what Child said....take a hammer and slam down on the outstretched chain if you want to cut some of that off. Or you could just leave it and drag it along. I vote for Lindir to get the whole thing off once the fight is over.

If you can come up with another idea, I'm certainly willing to be flexible here. (sorry about this....)
Old 01-27-2007, 09:15 PM   #900
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

No, that's fine, Tevildo. I just didn't want her dragged around by the horse while the men were fighting. I'll just have him drop it when he reached for his sword, how's that?

I'll do that later, though. It's too late to be patient with a veeerrry slow computer and editing would take too long.

-- Folwren
Old 01-28-2007, 12:59 PM   #901
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Alright! I believe that it is done. Tell me if anything needs to be changed, Tevildo.

-- Folwren
Old 01-30-2007, 01:12 AM   #902
Child of the 7th Age

Hilde,

Save filled and moved to another location later in the thread: here.

I trid to do what we discussed. Carl has a wound -- not serious at all but it has drawn some blood. I'll eliminate this if you'd prefer, just let me know. And if there's any other problem, just tell me.
Old 01-30-2007, 09:54 AM   #903
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Looks great, Child. Thanks.
Old 01-30-2007, 10:00 PM   #904
Tevildo
Shade of Carn Dûm

My save is filled. Lindir...it's your turn.
Old 02-02-2007, 01:31 AM   #905
Child of the 7th Age

Dorran is being dragged back to the hospital....

Who'd like to do our final battle post? I think we've reached that point unless someone has something more they'd like to get in. It probably wouldn't take more than a few sentences to pull thing together by generically describing the final rout of the few remaining slavers....

Any takers?

After that, we might want to do some planning as to what comes next and how fast we plunge over to the orc camp. There are a number of unanswered questions in our story at this point. Presumably, going to the slavers' camp would have to be done sometime during the same night as the battle itself (game time) to catch the male orcs in an inebriated state. Who goes and who stays among the slavers and fellowship?

Presumably we are heading over there quickly to pull back their supplies and such. In a place like Mordor, you better pick things up quickly or someone else will!

I am assuming gravely injured characters will need to stay in our own camp. But we need enough people in the party going to the slaver's camp that we could realistically deal with 15 orcs, most of whom are drunk.

And where should the argument happen about the orc's fate? I would assume there would be a preliminary argument in the slavers' camp that basically dealt with the question of whether we should slay them immediately....and the answer to that would be "no". But the whole idea of them joining us in the march would surely not come up at that point..... Perhaps that particular argument should only come when we reunite with the whole camp? I am envisioning Aiwendil bursting into camp at some point and talking to Lindir about the much bigger problem we'll be facing shortly. That should perhaps force some cooperation between the two groups.

Do we just hold the orcs in the slavers' camp and have our main group (including the injured) come over the next morning? Or do we drag the orcs back physically with us? Could we realistically do that? It's one thing to guard them, but it's another thing to force them to go somewhere....

I'm also curious where you think our characters will eventually line up on this issue of cooperation with the orcs: for or against. Assuming that the female orcs do make a plea for mercy, Aiwendil will probably be inclined to go along at a fairly early junction, both the fairness issue and the fact that the two groups will have bigger fish to fry. Lindir will be more cautious but eventually come around to that point. I can imagine that some of the characters, such as the slaves, will be very opposed.

Any ideas, comments would be helpful. Also, do we realistically need another orc character or two??

Last edited by Child of the 7th Age; 02-02-2007 at 02:18 AM.
Old 02-02-2007, 12:20 PM   #906
Regin Hardhammer
Shade of Carn Dûm

Regin Hardhammer has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
I'm also curious where you think our characters will eventually line up on this issue of cooperation with the orcs: for or against.
Needless to say but some of us orcs won't be too thrilled about the situation either.

- Regin
Old 02-02-2007, 02:36 PM   #907
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

I started working on a post for Khamir, and wasn't completely positive where to go with it, so I'll turn that into a wrap up post if that's alright.

Quote:
I'm also curious where you think our characters will eventually line up on this issue of cooperation with the orcs: for or against.
Khamir = decidedly against. I mean, one of those bloody critters lopped off his arm years ago...

Adnan will have an open mind. Besides, his hatred lies (well, lied...I think he's going to resolve that hatred, though he'll have some other issues, hehe) with Easterlings.

Vror hasn't had any experience with Orcs, though he knows plenty about their nastyness from the older generations. So I think he'll be fairly open-minded. He'll find himself especially unable to hate them when it comes to female and young Orcs. Paternal instincts and the like...
Old 02-02-2007, 02:47 PM   #908
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Carl will be deeply suspicious of the orcs, and I don't think he will be over joyed with the prospect of joining up with them. (Might even act a bit 'orcish' about it.)
Old 02-02-2007, 03:40 PM   #909
Tevildo
Shade of Carn Dûm

Interesting. Dorran's parents were killed by orcs.
Enough said!

Still.... The real question isn't how our characters feel at the beginning of this mess. It's whether or not they are capable of change.

I suspect Dorran is capable of change, even if very slowly. I also suspect that, if there is any sentiment to give orcs a chance, it will generally come from the members of the fellowship rather than the slaves (though there may be certain exceptions to this.) If Aiwendil and Lindir and eventually Vror soften their stance a bit, Dorran will begin to feel some pressure to re-examine his own attitudes. Like Durelin's character, Dorran is more likely to be soft hearted about the women and the children....especially the children.

Azhar is in an interesting position. She has equal hatred for orcs and easterlings so, in that sense, she's not as fixated on orcs as Dorran is. Azhar will do everything she can to avoid coming in contact with the male orcs. She doesn't want to fight them--she just wants to avoid them. Female orcs and children are a different matter. She's never known any. I assume that, if female orcs lived on the plantation, they did drudge work rather than being overseers....the same for the kids. It's possible that Azhar would actually have some things in common with the kids and women if she would ever talk to them -- types of labor they both shared. If Azhar can make some contact of this type, her atttitudes will soften. More than that, she could become a veritable firebrand on behalf of "orc rights".
Old 02-02-2007, 04:12 PM   #910
Regin Hardhammer
Shade of Carn Dûm

Regin Hardhammer has just left Hobbiton.
It seems as if the orc women and children will be in a pivotal position when it comes to dealing with non-orcs. Ishkur has never been beholden to any woman in his life so having to rely on orc women even for this will not be easy.
Old 02-02-2007, 04:33 PM   #911
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
I've been under the impression that Grask was the only Orc child in the lot - that's certainly how I've been writing my posts. But maybe the word "children" has just been being used for convenience - it sounds better, I suppose...?

Grask is going to be curious, maybe a little fearful, but mostly curious. Johari will be distrustful and probably resentful.
Old 02-02-2007, 06:54 PM   #912
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Sorry to have been away for a time again. I'll be in soon enough. Modding a WW-game seems to be a full time job, at least if you add to it some social life with your children...

But to answer your question Child:
- Hadith couldn't probably even understand that one could live alongside an orc in other conditions than slavery (either way) or enmity. Hopefully he will be in such a bad condition that he can't open his loud & conservatively idealistic mouth here! But who knows?
- Gwerr will be one of those who could see a point in co-operation - at least as long as it might make the Uruks the main "suspects" and thence lessen their influence. But he would be pretty upset with any Elf showing up (old instincts, you know).
Old 02-03-2007, 11:45 AM   #913
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Durelin, I've got Carl's post up (finally), and had the notion that the slavers' might decide that it wasn't worth pursuing matters once they found out how badly things were going for them. Maybe just grab a few choice persons head back for their camp. And so I had what Lindir had described earlier as "one of Imak's most trusted henchmen" shouting something. Didn't know if you could use that. It could be anything, some strategy or a report on their losses, whatever.

And as always, if I need to change something, just let me know. I might not get online again before tomorrow to fix it, though. And apologies for the delay in filling in the save.
Old 02-03-2007, 03:32 PM   #914
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Sorry for the wait. With my net down most of today, I've gotten a little behind. I'll get my post up as early tomorrow as possible (and if I'm really lucky, tonight), though.

Thanks, Hilde, I'll definitely keep that in mind.
Old 02-03-2007, 05:46 PM   #915
Child of the 7th Age

Durelin,

Yes, please do the wrap-up for the battle. That would be great.

Firefoot,

Yes, Grask is the only "named" orc child who is actually being played. But perhaps out of the fifteen orcs, there would be one more who has been a NPC who is a child? This seems like a good idea since several posters made reference to children as a "softening" agent.

Also, it would not be a bad idea if someone "picked up" another orc and actively played them.....man, woman, or child.
Old 02-03-2007, 07:42 PM   #916
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

My post is up, and I hope it's alright. I read everyone's previous posts, but I'm pretty horrible at picturing things like battles, so it's quite possible things might conflict. Just let me know if I need to edit anything.

Next thing on my agenda is to have Vror wake up...

Oh, and I am quite tempted to add an Orc to my character ensemble...
Old 02-03-2007, 07:56 PM   #917
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Yes, Grask is the only "named" orc child who is actually being played. But perhaps out of the fifteen orcs, there would be one more who has been a NPC who is a child? This seems like a good idea since several posters made reference to children as a "softening" agent.
The only problem I have is that numerous times throughout the thread I've made reference to Grask being lonely/not having any companions.

Possible solution: perhaps an additional female orc child, perhaps a little older, so that she would associate with the female orcs? The orcs have struck me as being very sexually discriminatory, so an orc child very set in the female role probably wouldn't have much contact with Grask.

I might also suggest a child very very young, but this would have made escape difficult in the first place...

Does this sound all right? The more I think about it, the more likely it seems to me that Grask wouldn't seek out female companionship, even if she was closer to his age. Another male Orc child would just be contrary to almost everything I've written for Grask so far.
Old 02-03-2007, 08:24 PM   #918
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

One more thing that I feel horrible for forgetting...

I'm very sorry, Brin, for using Shae all the time lately. Just let me know if I need to change anything, or remove parts concerning her that you would like to handle yourself. I feel really bad when I "carry" any characters along, even if just very briefly...I've had bad experiences with that with others! So, again, I am sorry, and just let me know if there's anything that needs to be changed or removed.
Old 02-03-2007, 09:28 PM   #919
Child of the 7th Age

Firefoot,

Good points about the orc child. Assuming we do have another orc child, whether a NPC or played by someone, it sounds as if that child should be female.
Old 02-04-2007, 02:24 AM   #920
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Okay, my save is finally filled. I severely apologize that it took so long...there were difficulties between both school and writer's block. I actually originally had a brilliant idea for my post and when I started to plan it out, my great idea turned into total rubbish. So, I brainstormed over and over how else I should write this darned post. Anyways, I didn't end up actually killing off Aedhild, just injuring her severely. Folwren, her life will be in Athwen's hands now. Heh...that poor woman has a lot of work to do. I found it hard to write for another person's character, so I can only hope that I did Nova justice.

Durelin- I think what you've done with Shae so far is mostly fine. Just don't forget she is just as injured as Khamir...I sort of got the impression that it seemed otherwise when she helped him over to where the injured sat.

On the questions regarding meeting of the orcs:

Shae will definitely be very much against cooperation. It was an orc that beat her against the head when she was 11, ultimately resulting in the blindness in her left eye. So it'll take a lot to convince her...

Also, I would prefer that Shae is in the group that first encounters the orcs. Though she is a bit injured and probably tired, after some attention from Athwen I think she will be in good enough condition. Besides, Shae can be rather stubborn and I very much doubt she would easily sit this one out...