Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-2006, 08:50 PM   #41
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Dear friends,

I need to write and inform everyone that I will be scarce from Monday to Friday, next (something like the 12th to 16th). I may be able to post something early in the day Monday, but I will not be able to post a single thing (nor will I be able to read anything) from between about 8:30 a.m. Eastern Time Monday to somewhere around 3:00 Friday afternoon. That means, that whatever conversation or interaction Dick is in with another character in the Perch needs to either be resolved by Monday morning, or in such a position that the other player can easily finish up and send Dick on his way for me to pick up later.

While I am gone, please continue as normal. Leave Dick alone if you possibly can. If a new comer comes into the inn, of course Dick will come greet him or her and take an order or something, but don't get into any conversation or anything with him. I'd much appreciate it.

Feel free to ask any questions before I leave.

-- Folwren
Old 06-10-2006, 03:00 AM   #42
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
1420!

Here are two new visitors to the Inn - from Sarn Ford.

NAME: Rhys Hafgen

RACE: Men

WEAPONS: A thick oaken walking stick; an old, but serviceable sword, plain bladed, which he keeps wrapped in a piece of oilskin beneath the seat of the cart.

APPEARANCE: 5’7”; burly build; Dark auburn hair; dark, icy blue eyes.

PERSONALITY: A plain, good-hearted fellow who enjoys the company of others. Easy to be around; even-tempered. Loves his sister dearly. Plays the fiddle; has a lovely tenor voice.

----------

NAME: Tanwen (Tanni) Hafgen

RACE: Men

WEAPONS: None

APPEARANCE: 5’4”; well proportioned, shapely, comely. Fiery, ginger colored hair; fair skin, with a sprinkling of small sandy freckles across her nose; blue eyes the color of a summer sky.

PERSONALITY: Approachable, friendly. Always a quick smile or laugh and a kind word given at need. Loves to dance; has a rich contralto voice that harmonizes well with her brother’s.

----------

COMBINED HISTORY: Brother and sister from one of the small villages clustered about Sarn Ford. Their father, Aeddan, is a tradesman and the family runs a small mercantile establishment near the ford. Many of their goods come down the Brandywine, from the Shire and from Bree.

Rhys and Tanwen have been sent out to scout out new sources of goods and to make arrangement for the shipment of the goods to Sarn Ford either by cart or flatboat. Traveling in a covered cart drawn by two grey dappled mares – Nia and Olwen
Old 06-11-2006, 02:01 PM   #43
Undómë
Shade of Carn Dûm

Undómë has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Mistress Innkeeper

I hope you won't mind if we move the time of day forward a little while you are gone. So that Will can be delivered his lunch and maybe so Tollers and the scruffy Jack can go fishing if they want to.

What say you?

~ U
Young she was and yet not so. The braids of her dark hair were touched by no frost, her white arms and clear face were flawless and smooth, and the light of stars was in her bright eyes, grey as a cloudless night . . .
Old 06-11-2006, 02:10 PM   #44
Arry
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arry has just left Hobbiton.
Poor Will!

Undómë - would you like me to make a little bio for Granny Bracken? I only meant to use her occasionally as a person from whom Will gets some of his salves and unguents and such.

OR - if you'd like to use her more, feel free to write her up yourself.

-- Arry
Old 06-11-2006, 02:37 PM   #45
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
You are quite welcome to move time forward during my absence, granted as you don't jump a week or something. If, in the course of the five days that I am gone, you all write about how the morning and afternoon went and the day rolls into the evening, I don't care, so long as no one complains that the time is moving too quickly or too slowly.

----

I feel sorry for poor Will, too. Arry, if you want, Will can always come to Dick if he needs help.

I wish I weren't leaving tomorrow morning. I wanted to introduce Dick's family some. . .but I guess that'll have to wait.

-- Folwren
Old 06-12-2006, 12:03 PM   #46
Dimturiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Dimturiel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to Dimturiel Send a message via Yahoo to Dimturiel
Meliot Tussle

NAME: Meliot Tussle

RACE: Hobbit

WEAPONS: None, save her sharp tongue, from time to time

APEARANCE: She is short, and plumpish, like all Hobbits. She has long, curly brown hair, and inquisitive brown eyes. She wears long dresses, with flowers sown on them.

PESONALITY/STRENGHTS/WEAKNESSES: She is a very inquisitive creature. She is seldom unhappy, and that only for a short while. Yet she has a sharp tongue, and usually tells people exactly what she thinks. She loves eating and dancing, and spending time at the inn.

HISTORY: She was born in a respectable Hobbit family. She has two older sisters, and two younger brothers. Her father has always spoiled her, and given her all that she wanted. Her eldest sister got married a year before, and moved away to her husband's house. Meliot goes at the inn every day, to look at the guests and to enjoy a most welcome meal, and to be in touch with all the happenings in Middle-earth, and she spends almost all day there.
Old 06-15-2006, 02:03 PM   #47
Undómë
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmaril

Dimturiel

Rowan's spied Meliot and gone over to chat a bit . . .
Young she was and yet not so. The braids of her dark hair were touched by no frost, her white arms and clear face were flawless and smooth, and the light of stars was in her bright eyes, grey as a cloudless night . . .
Old 06-17-2006, 06:59 PM   #48
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Hi, all! I'm back, and doing almost completely well. I haven't posted yet, I know, and I'm sorry for it, but I just now got finished reading a few of the last couple posts that I missed and I am shortly going to be writing a post and putting it up. Not now, because I just got called for dessert, but I will do it afterwards while they're all watching the RotK.

As for everything at the inn - it seems like everything is under good order and people are having fun and everything is going smoothly. Good, good. I'm glad to see it.

I'll have that post up soon!

-- Folwren
Old 06-19-2006, 12:57 PM   #49
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Tevildo, I sincerely hope that Tollers is not napping when Dick finds him. . .he'll be looking for him soon, I think.

-- Folwren
Old 06-19-2006, 01:46 PM   #50
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Meet Dick's family . . .

NAME: Lilly Boffin

RACE: Hobbit

WEAPONS: Occasionally wields a broom or rolling pin.

APPEARANCE: Lilly is 3 feet tall, brown hair, brown eyes, merry face. She wears a white shirt with a green or yellow or blue, laced up bodice over it, and a skirt to match its color.

PERSONALITY/STRENGTHS/WEAKNESSES: Lilly is a very happy, merry wife and mother. She’s kind and forgiving and altogether too soft for her own good and the good of her seven children. She loves her family dearly and is quite willing to do almost anything for any one of them. She takes compassion on almost everyone and is willing to trust everybody, in which sense she is gullible and childish, but it’s all with good intent and the incapability of (and the lack of wanting to) thinking ill of anybody.
HISTORY: Lilly is the daughter of the old innkeeper, Treffic Goodbody. When she was 33 she married Seredic Boffin. Since then, she’s had seven children. From oldest to youngest, they are:

1. Treffic (Treffy) -14
2. Lavender (Aven) -13
3. Seredic (Reddie) -11
4. Findlingar (Fred) -10
5. Maple -8
6. Dorlind -5
7. Daisy -5

Their characters will be seen as the story progresses, I think. . .

All of them have brown hair, brown eyes, except Maple, who has green eyes.

Dorlind is the older twin. . .by some number of minutes, I don't know how many.

Last edited by Folwren; 07-28-2006 at 10:38 AM.
Old 06-25-2006, 04:17 PM   #51
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

I'm leaving again tomorrow morning, not to return until Friday afternoon.

During my absense, carry on as necessary. The Day can move forward at whatever pace is best for everyone involved. Do not take a large time jump while I am gone.

Tevildo: When Tollers reports to Dick when he is finished, Dick will probably give him another job to do (in the kitchen, as we discussed. . .you and Firefoot and Celuien may have fun with that). He will, however, let him off later in the afternoon to take his fishing trip.

Everyone: Assume Dick is working in or around the Common Room while I'm gone. There's not much else for him to do, I'm guessing. If a huge disaster strikes the inn (PLEASE don't do that when I'm gone!), then, of course, he will have to be there. But I'd really, really like to not have the Perch burn down when I'm not there to write about it.

If anything happens today, or before my leaving tomorrow morning, I may get another post in, but I highly doubt it. So, I'll bid my farewell now. So long, until Friday.

-- Folwren
Old 06-25-2006, 04:33 PM   #52
Tevildo
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tevildo has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
I'd really, really like to not have the Perch burn down when I'm not there to write about it.
Surely, you don't think we would do such a dastardly deed! At least not when the Inn has only been open for a few weeks......

Good luck on your trip.
Now Tevildo was a mighty cat--the mightiest of all--and possessed of an evil spirit,...and he was in Melko's constant following; and that cat had all cats subject to him, and he and his subjects were the chasers and getters of meat for Melko's table.
Old 06-25-2006, 05:44 PM   #53
Envinyatar
Quill Revenant

Envinyatar has just left Hobbiton.
See you on your return, Folwren!

-------

Undómë & Dimturiel

Alright you nosy little Hobbits - I've written a post letting you know what old Jack has on him.

Do some sweet-talking and see if you can get him to scrub up!

- E -

Last edited by Envinyatar; 06-25-2006 at 06:04 PM.
Old 06-25-2006, 05:59 PM   #54
Undómë
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmaril

Yes! See you when you get back F! Have fun!!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Dimturiel

Go ahead and decide on a signal and have me knock at 'Jack's' door if you want to.

I'm dying to know what that parchment is all about.....

~ U
Old 06-25-2006, 06:48 PM   #55
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tevildo
Surely, you don't think we would do such a dastardly deed! At least not when the Inn has only been open for a few weeks......

Good luck on your trip.
Well, I'd HOPE not, but one can't be certain with a lot like you, especially with someone like Jack in your midsts.

You all have fun yourselves.

-- Foley
Old 07-01-2006, 09:06 AM   #56
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Celuien has just left Hobbiton.
White-Hand

Posting a notice:

As some of you might know, I'm leaving town for a course at one of my school's satellite campuses on July 5th. I've just been informed by a classmate that the non-academic site blocking portion of the firewall in the dorm there has been further restricted than it was last year. So I have no idea if I'll be able to access the Downs while I'm there from July 5-28. This could be problematic for the Inn, but I have a possible solution.

I've given my email address to JennyHallu, and also given her permission to share my contact information with Folwren if I'm unable to access the site.

The first thing I'm going to do when I arrive at the dorm is test my ability to access the Downs, which probably shows how obsessed I am with this forum. If I've disappeared for more than a couple of days after July 5th, that means the site is blocked. I will post to this thread by July 8th to let everyone know that I'm here if the site isn't blocked. But if posts are needed for the Inn and I'm blocked, Folwren, would you be willing to PM Jenny for my email address, send me copies of posts that need my attention, and then post my replies here for me?

Hopefully, this convoluted scheme won't be needed. But I wouldn't want to leave the kitchen and Will storylines stuck if I'm blocked from coming here.

Please let me know if this is a feasible solution, or if you'd all prefer to send Primrose on a visit to her family if I can't get here.

Last edited by Celuien; 07-01-2006 at 06:17 PM.
Old 07-01-2006, 09:27 AM   #57
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Please let me know if this is a feasible solution, or if you'd all prefer to send Primrose on a visit to her family if I can't get here.
It sounds fine to me...

I should have a post up for Cela in a bit.
Old 07-01-2006, 09:34 AM   #58
Tevildo
Shade of Carn Dûm

Forest Elf - please check your pm's. I have a sneaky idea for our characters!
Now Tevildo was a mighty cat--the mightiest of all--and possessed of an evil spirit,...and he was in Melko's constant following; and that cat had all cats subject to him, and he and his subjects were the chasers and getters of meat for Melko's table.
Old 07-04-2006, 07:50 PM   #59
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Popping in. . .

Celuien - that's fine. July 9th I'll write Jenny if you have not gotten back to us.

There's one problem - July 10 - 15 I won't have much access, either. . .but really, there's not that much going on here that that'll be a problem. After that, I'll be able to keep you covered. That alright? If not, you'll have to ask someone else to send you the posts and post yours. But, it really is good if I can do it, because I have to read all the posts anyway.

Tevildo. . .

More sneaking behind my back, hey?

Actually, that's alright. It makes things exciting.

And . . . gosh, I'd like to find out what's up with this falling off the barn roof thing. I hope Will is alright. Dick is going to be run haywire before noon at the rate his workers are getting themselves into trouble.

I do not think I will be able to write a post this evening. I am dreadfully behind in everything. Tomorrow, however, I should be able to catch up on everything. So, Undome and Dimturiel, I'm sorry to keep you both waiting again, but I should be able to post about Daisy and Dorlind then, as well as Dick.

-- Folwren

Last edited by Folwren; 07-04-2006 at 07:54 PM.
Old 07-04-2006, 07:59 PM   #60
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folwren
Celuien - that's fine. July 9th I'll write Jenny if you have not gotten back to us.

There's one problem - July 10 - 15 I won't have much access, either. . .but really, there's not that much going on here that that'll be a problem. After that, I'll be able to keep you covered. That alright? If not, you'll have to ask someone else to send you the posts and post yours. But, it really is good if I can do it, because I have to read all the posts anyway.
That's all fine. Thanks! I hope there I'll be able to get here - long term withdrawal from the black and green screen might be too much for me.

Prim hopes Will is alright too.
Old 07-05-2006, 11:07 AM   #61
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Cela? Stay put? Are you kidding? Cela has them starting to move Prim and Will inside... seems like a better place to treat them than out in the inn yard. But if you all think it would be better for them not to be moved, say so. I don't claim to be a medical expert.
Old 07-05-2006, 11:51 AM   #62
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefoot
Cela? Stay put? Are you kidding? Cela has them starting to move Prim and Will inside... seems like a better place to treat them than out in the inn yard. But if you all think it would be better for them not to be moved, say so. I don't claim to be a medical expert.
Well, I wasn't really expecting to be obeyed. That's alright if you move them. I don't know a ton about medical stuff, either, and I doubt any of the hobbits would. They would have moved them and then gone for the doctor, never thinking it might be detrimental to their health if they moved them.

-- Folwren
Old 07-05-2006, 04:48 PM   #63
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folwren
Well, I wasn't really expecting to be obeyed. That's alright if you move them. I don't know a ton about medical stuff, either, and I doubt any of the hobbits would. They would have moved them and then gone for the doctor, never thinking it might be detrimental to their health if they moved them.

-- Folwren
Well, I think the main reason to avoid moving trauma victims is to avoid worsening spinal injury if there are injuries to the vertebrae. Primrose definitely doesn't have any. I'm guessing Will has been moving his head around on his own by now, so he probably doesn't have a problem there either.

And yes, I am here. Reports of a firewall have been greatly exaggerated. Such unreliable sources. Sheesh.
Old 07-05-2006, 05:11 PM   #64
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Oh good. I'm glad you can access the site... why would anyone want to block the Downs, anyway?

And ah, the benefits of having a med school student among us...
Old 07-08-2006, 07:55 AM   #65
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Arry, is your character's wrist actually broken or just strained badly?

After this Day is mostly played out (we're rounding towards noon now) what do people think of moving it forward a week or so? Perhaps put Primrose and Will back on the mending track a bit with this day of horrible accidents and happenings behind us?

For the rest of the day, I was thinking that we would wait until Jack Greymoss (Envinyatar, are you around?) got finished up with his bath and whether or not Meliot and Rowan were caught half way through the act in his room, and get that episode all wrapped up, and then skipped on until later in the afternoon, at which time, Tollers could probably go fishing and then come back and we could have a fried fish dinner. (That's what you were planning, yes?)

If any of you don't want to go on like that and just continue as we were, you can voice your opinion. While Jack, Meliot, and Rowan were finishing up, of course, all of the rest of us players would just be writing as normal.

Did that make sense? I'm distracted right now and am not writing very clearly at all. If there are any questions, don't hesitate to ask. And also don't hesitate to put up any disagreements.

-- Folwren
Old 07-08-2006, 07:58 AM   #66
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

That all makes sense, Folwren.

I'm fine with moving ahead a week.
Old 07-08-2006, 09:08 AM   #67
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Sounds fine to me, too.

Concerning Master Puddifoot - anyone feel free to use him...
Old 07-08-2006, 09:49 AM   #68
Arry
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arry has just left Hobbiton.
Folwren

That's fine with me.

I think I'll just have one of Will's fingers broken and the wrist badly strained.

----------------

Forest Elf

Maybe your character can finish up the section of the stable roof that Will was working on. You'll need to mend the ladder, finishing spreading the tar over the bare roof, then put the wooden shingles back on.
Old 07-08-2006, 10:03 AM   #69
Undómë
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmaril

I don't think Rowan and Meliot should be caught yet -- they have to scheme over that little map they found in Jack's pocket.

------------------

Dimturiel

If you haven't written your escape back to the common room by tomorrow, I can do it late tomorrow night.
Old 07-08-2006, 10:44 AM   #70
Envinyatar
Quill Revenant

Envinyatar has just left Hobbiton.
I've gotten old Jack out of the tub and back to the common room.

Dimturiel

I've written it so that as he starts down the corridor he sees someone just barely, someone going out the door to the common room. If you want, you can use that for yourself, or sneak out after he's already gone.
Old 07-08-2006, 05:12 PM   #71
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

What needs to be accomplished before we can move it to later afternoon?

What about you who are in the common room? Durelin, Lily? What do you two think of moving time forward a bit? Durelin's character may well sit there all day, but what about you, Lily? And Pio, too! What does everyone think?

--Folwren
Old 07-08-2006, 09:54 PM   #72
Lilly
Haunting Spirit

Lilly has just left Hobbiton.
I'll just have Taffy's mother call him away to help with something for a while. He and Griffo can meet up again later.
Old 07-08-2006, 09:57 PM   #73
Tevildo
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tevildo will be very, very happy to have time move forward. That way, he can say in one sentence that Tollers finished moving the furniture and served out his time in the kitchen already. He can complain about it under his breath, if you'd like. Next point of business....go get Jack and off to fishing!
Old 07-09-2006, 02:10 AM   #74
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
My characters, 'Rhys and Tanwen', and I think Envin's 'Hithadan' will be fine with a forward jump. We can have finished our meal and find something more active to do.
Old 07-09-2006, 10:15 AM   #75
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Ah, thanks Lily, for wrapping that up. Yes, moving ahead any length of time is fine by me. Griffo's schedule is...flexible...
Old 07-09-2006, 11:24 AM   #76
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

I think that covers everyone at the inn, then. I'll post sometime today that the day has passed and afternoon is rolling on - probably coming near four o'clock. Supper will begin to be served between five and six, probably. Of course, there is tea and ale and cakes and bread and stuff like to be had if anyone does want to eat.

I'll get that post up after lunch, probably. If anyone does happen to want to write something, you can either do so before my post, or tell me to hold up here on the Discussion thread until you are able to.

-- Folwren
Old 07-12-2006, 06:28 AM   #77
Dimturiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Dimturiel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to Dimturiel Send a message via Yahoo to Dimturiel
Sorry, I have just been on a trip so I had no time to write anything. I promise I will do it tomorrow- I'm too tired now.

Envinyatar

Good idea. I will use it.
Old 07-15-2006, 11:06 AM   #78
Tevildo
Shade of Carn Dûm

Envinyatar,

Sorry I am late with that boat. Hope to post this evening. I hope Folwren doesn't move the time forward this afternoon.

Tollers/Tevildo
Old 07-15-2006, 08:30 PM   #79
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Oh, no, I'm not moving time again until later on in the afternoon or evening of this Day in the inn. It's now, as you know, somewhere around 4:00 though.

I'm back if you all didn't notice and I'm sorry I haven't yet posted. I will try to tomorrow.

-- Folwren
Old 07-15-2006, 08:37 PM   #80
Tevildo
Shade of Carn Dûm

My fishing post is up and Jack (Envinyatar) can answer.

Tollers is hoping to bring a mess of fish back to the Inn for supper, since they can be fried up very quickly. Perhaps, it will atone for his lazy behavior in the morning.