Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-28-2004, 06:19 PM   #22
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
Shield Liornung

Liornung gazed out the window as he considered how to answer Hearpwine's question. "Well, good Hearpwine, I have travelled many roads," he said at last. "I have gone through fair weather and bad, braving ice and snow and much rain. I've seen those who are filled with joy and those who are filled with sorrow. I've met those who are good and kind and those who think of naught but evil. I have sat and played in front of fires and many people, and then alone under the sun and the moon and the stars." A twinkle came to his eye. "I've nearly drowned myself trying to swim across rivers and not get my fiddle wet, as well."

Both Hearpwine and Liornung threw back their heads and laughed. Liornung was the quickest to grow serious again and he spoke most gravely to Hearpwine. "Were you the bard singing with Aylwen?" he asked. "Maercwen here told me there was a bard singing with her."

At Hearpwine's nod Liornung blushed deeply. "I was quite shy when I heard that," he said. "You see, I am no bard but only a poor wandering fiddler who makes what living he can from an old instrument, and indeed I've grown so fond of my work I would not have it any other way. But here you are, a real bard and soon to be Bard of the King, and I actually led you to it!" Liornung chuckled with deep delight. "And you say you even want to write a song about me?"

"I do," Hearpwine replied. A look of awe crept into Liornung's eyes and he blushed a deeper red and he said nothing, though a boyish admiration shone in his features. "Good Hearpwine, I look eagerly towards tonight when I shall hear more of your songs." A wide smile lit his face up. "Indeed, if you'll teach me the tunes to one or two of your songs now, I'll fiddle as you sing. I am a quick learner."