The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2007, 10:45 AM   #1
Mansun

1420! What Next To Read . . .?

Now that the LOTR has been so thoroughly discussed (& will continue to do so), what other books are there out there from other authors which can genuinely offer similar stimulation for imagination & debate? This is a harder question to answer than most, as the LOTR is already widely regarded as the greatest piece of literature of all time. Why do not other books come close to it for class?

I would particularly like to hear of novel suggestions on intellectually demanding novels from respected authors.

Last edited by Mansun; 10-23-2007 at 11:40 AM.
Old 10-23-2007, 11:23 AM   #2
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
I'd be careful (very, very careful) with the words "of all the time", but I take it that you had in mind only current (or more or less current) books from current authors. But I won't be underrating them as well, because although I'm not sure if the discussion can be of the same quality I believe there are lots and lots of people who don't mind discussing anything from Harry Potter through Narnia and Conan to the works of H.P. Lovecraft. I am sure LotR is number one among these and only time will show whether for example Harry Potter is going to fall into nothing, but generally all the six million volume fantasy sagas definitely provide us with far much larger universe than LotR, with for example great possibilities for fan fiction etc. So why are they not the number one? Basically, they often lack the other things that Tolkien can offer: the language, the "vividness" (or how to say that) of the world, the complexity of the characters, who knows what else? And also the way how it's all put together. Other books that have this may lack for example the complexity of the world in which the stories take place. And so on.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 11:29 AM   #3
Mansun

The Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
I'd be careful (very, very careful) with the words "of all the time", but I take it that you had in mind only current (or more or less current) books from current authors. But I won't be underrating them as well, because although I'm not sure if the discussion can be of the same quality I believe there are lots and lots of people who don't mind discussing anything from Harry Potter through Narnia and Conan to the works of H.P. Lovecraft. I am sure LotR is number one among these and only time will show whether for example Harry Potter is going to fall into nothing, but generally all the six million volume fantasy sagas definitely provide us with far much larger universe than LotR, with for example great possibilities for fan fiction etc. So why are they not the number one? Basically, they often lack the other things that Tolkien can offer: the language, the "vividness" (or how to say that) of the world, the complexity of the characters, who knows what else? And also the way how it's all put together. Other books that have this may lack for example the complexity of the world in which the stories take place. And so on.
I have tried Narnia novels many years ago, & I felt they were even lower in quality than the Hobbit (which is itself a good novel). As for Harry Potter, these books are aimed at the younger generation who grew up watching Rugrats & Teletubbies. Both of these are simply not of the same standard I am looking for in view of a book that may rival the LOTR in terms of literacy vigour.

What other books are out there that can include imaginative creatures like the Nazgul, the Balrog, Hobbits, Gandalf etc. but from another author's perspective? Personally, I liked the Lone Wolf adventures by Joe Dever, which had some excellent characters within Good & Evil.

Last edited by Mansun; 10-23-2007 at 11:45 AM.
Old 10-23-2007, 01:59 PM   #4
radagastly
Shade of Carn Dűm

radagastly is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
There is, of course, the thread over in Novices and Newcomers, called What other Fantasy books do YOU read?:

http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=1338

It has many, many pages of people's recommendations. I enjoyed Zelazny's Chronicles of Amber series, which has some fairly good characterization, but does not, alas, have quite the literary breadth of Middle Earth. That's my favorite lately. Some of the older fantasies, written before Tolkien's popularity, are less bound by the archetypes he created. The Worm Ouroboros by (I believe his name was) Ellison (not Harlan Ellison, but someone much earlier), and Mervyn Peake's Gormenghast trilogy. If I were you, I'd check out the thread I linked. There must be something there that catches your attention.
Old 10-23-2007, 02:50 PM   #5
Mansun

Dark-Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by radagastly View Post
There is, of course, the thread over in Novices and Newcomers, called What other Fantasy books do YOU read?:

http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=1338

It has many, many pages of people's recommendations. I enjoyed Zelazny's Chronicles of Amber series, which has some fairly good characterization, but does not, alas, have quite the literary breadth of Middle Earth. That's my favorite lately. Some of the older fantasies, written before Tolkien's popularity, are less bound by the archetypes he created. The Worm Ouroboros by (I believe his name was) Ellison (not Harlan Ellison, but someone much earlier), and Mervyn Peake's Gormenghast trilogy. If I were you, I'd check out the thread I linked. There must be something there that catches your attention.
The thread you speak of, What other Fantasy books do YOU read, just talks about fantasy novels people like. It does not distinguish between those novels which can genuinely be likened to the LOTR in terms of characters, literacy, intellect etc. This thread demands these to a far higher order.

Last edited by Mansun; 10-23-2007 at 03:10 PM.
Old 10-23-2007, 03:06 PM   #6
William Cloud Hicklin
Loremaster of Annúminas

William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
In terms of "moderns" with a high degree of intellect and literacy, E.R. Eddison's (not Harlan Ellison's!) The Worm Ouroboros (1922) rates very highly, as does David Lindsay's Voyage to Arcturus (1925; a challenge to read, in places nearly as dense as Joyce). Also, although IIRC also unknown to Tolkien, Peake's Gormenghast (1939). William Morris was a profound influence on Tolkien, especially The Roots of the Mountains, The House of the Wolfings, and his version of Sigurd; he also serves to demonstrate how elegant Tolkien's archaizing style really is compared to Morris' labored Victorian tushery!

Brilliant but utterly un-Tolkienian is T.H. White's The Once and Future King (1954).

Then of course there is all the ancient material: especially Beowulf (personally I prefer Tinker to either Heaney or Clark Hall) and the Volsungasaga, as well as Snorri's Prose Edda.

Indispensable also is Malory: as a matter of personal taste I think Caxton's edition is an improvement on the Winchester MS text.

Post-Tolkien there isn't a whole lot. Ursula Leguin is a brilliant author, but her best stuff is scifi rather than fantasy. Gene Wolfe (who corresponded with Tolkien as a young man) is very good in a wierd, hallucinatory way; but his mytho-historical work like Soldier of Arete is to me better than his fantasy New Sun series.

Of contemporaries, George R. R. Martin is about the only one I have time for, and he's basically mind-candy: a sprawling soap-opera episode of Dallas or Dynasty, with bloodshed. (A separate case is Guy Kay, whose one foray into high fantasy, The Fionavar Tapestry, isn't all that good, but whose quasi-historical novels are very good indeed).

Last edited by William Cloud Hicklin; 10-23-2007 at 03:20 PM.
William Cloud Hicklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 03:18 PM   #7
Mansun

The Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Cloud Hickli View Post
In terms of "moderns" with a high degree of intellect and literacy, E.R. Eddison's (not Harlan Ellison's!) The Worm Ouroboros (1922) rates very highly, as does David Lindsay's Voyage to Arcturus (1925) (a challenge to read, in places nearly as dense as Joyce). Also, although IIRC also unknown to Tol;kien, Peake's Gormenghast (1939).

Then of course there is all the ancient material: especially Beowulf (personally I prefer Tinker to either Heaney or Clark Hall), and the Volsungasaga as well as Snorri's Prose Edda.

Indispensable also is Malory: as a matter of personaltaste I think Caxton's edition is an improvement on the Winchester MS text.
These sound much more like it, novels with a proven track record behind them that probably would not go amiss with Tolkein.

As for the Lone Wolf books, these excellent adventures were not in the main novels arena but single player role play books. Lone Wolf reminded me much of Aragorn in character & power as the Kai Lord & Grand Master. The Guild also had some connotations with that of Elves in Middle Earth. Keketaag the Avenger was an excellent champion of the Dark God Naar, much like the Witch King for Sauron. It appears Joe Dever was also a Tolkein enthusiast when writing these books.

Last edited by Mansun; 10-23-2007 at 03:28 PM.
Old 10-23-2007, 03:48 PM   #8
Hammerhand
Haunting Spirit

Hammerhand has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Hammerhand
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mansun View Post
I have tried Narnia novels many years ago, & I felt they were even lower in quality than the Hobbit (which is itself a good novel). As for Harry Potter, these books are aimed at the younger generation who grew up watching Rugrats & Teletubbies. Both of these are simply not of the same standard I am looking for in view of a book that may rival the LOTR in terms of literacy vigour.

What other books are out there that can include imaginative creatures like the Nazgul, the Balrog, Hobbits, Gandalf etc. but from another author's perspective? Personally, I liked the Lone Wolf adventures by Joe Dever, which had some excellent characters within Good & Evil.
I think you have a very narrow minded perspective on what fine literature is. It sounds to me like you want to read novels that are totally similar to the ones you are already comfortable with. Might i recommend broadening the horizons.

I'm fairly confident some people reading that post will think ill of you for comments such as 'these books are aimed at the younger generation who grew up watching Rugrats & Teletubbies' and 'I felt they were even lower in quality than the Hobbit'; both of which were unctuous, for want of a better word.
Old 10-23-2007, 05:59 PM   #9
Alfirin
Shade of Carn Dűm

Alfirin has been trapped in the Barrow!
I'm afraid that personally I must disagree on both The Worm Oroborus and A Voyage to Arcturus as being good choices for the Tolkein buff. Neither is all that Tolkinesque except on the most fundamnetal level. In addtion I feel that both have signifcant proalbmes as works of thier own.

While I have heard people auomatically go for the worm trilogy as being an automatic for tolkein lovers (the paperback copy I had even went so far as saying that it was the only conteporary work that could be judges as equal to LOTR. However while it does indeed have a fairly good mideval romance type plot to it, it is completely obfuscated by the language used. Tolkein while himself a linguist wrote LOTR in a fairy modern in educated form of English so that an ordinary person is able to follow the plot with realive ease. In contrast Eddison writes in a very archaic pseudo-shakesperian form (lots of "spakes" and so on) as well as often reverting to medival spelling of words even when those spellings are not all that close to ones a modern person would recognize ("crocodile" become "cocadrill" for example) Add on his frequen use of ancient sounding metaphors and aphorisms and you wind up with a prose style which if you are not already fluent in achaic English becomes simply mind numbing and almost ipossible to get through. Oroborous might be tolerable if it was a movie or radio dramatization, but as a book it is just impossible. Likewise, Lindsay's Voyage is a bit incomprehensible if you are not well educated in modern philsophy and in particular have a deep understading of Nietzsche and Wittgenstein (at least I've been told that if you have and understanding of them Lindsay makes sense) otherwise Lindsay is very confusing and more than a little depressing (the supreme power in the universe is pain?)

As for what I would reccoment in the Tolkien Vein, you could do worse than Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time its not nearly as literate as Tolkein but it has a good fantasy epic storline and at 13 600+ page book and going will at least keep you busy

Last edited by Alfirin; 10-23-2007 at 06:00 PM. Reason: grammar mistakes
Alfirin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 08:12 PM   #10
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
I would suggest some of George Orwell's books...Animal Farm and 1984 in particular. Even though he is not a 'modern writer,' he was around during Tolkien's day, his books are still a good read.

I also disagree with Rowling's Harry Potter as being 'too childish.' Rowling delved into many of the old myths that Tolkien loved doing. One can have just as many 'intellectual debate' about Rowling's books as they can about Tolkien. She mostly sticks to Roman and Greek myth, as well as French influence, but her knowledge in those areas is quite impressive. Particularly (like Tolkien) with her use of names, and the meanings of names...Albus Dumbledore, Sybil Trelawney, Remus Lupin, Sirius Black, Draco and Lucius Malfoy, Hermione Granger, Minerva McGonagall, Filius Flitwick, Severus Snape, Voldemort, Nicolas Flamel, and the list goes on...all have interesting translations (or are historical figures) that fit with the personality of the character.

As an example, Severus Snape. Severus was the name of 2 Roman empires, and 'snape' means "to be hard upon" to "rebuke" or "snub." Hmm...I say that describes the potions master quite well. Of course, it doesn't just stop with the names either, there are places and creatures that all have mythological ties...Hippogriffs, Centaurs, Boggarts...etc

Last edited by Boromir88; 10-23-2007 at 08:25 PM.
Boromir88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 08:36 PM   #11
radagastly
Shade of Carn Dűm

radagastly is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Originally posted by Mansun:
Quote:
The thread you speak of, What other Fantasy books do YOU read, just talks about fantasy novels people like. It does not distinguish between those novels which can genuinely be likened to the LOTR in terms of characters, literacy, intellect etc. This thread demands these to a far higher order.
And then you said this:
Quote:
Personally, I liked the Lone Wolf adventures by Joe Dever, which had some excellent characters within Good & Evil.
I guess I'm not sure what you're asking for. You have eschewed a tested and (somewhat) respected novelist (Zelazny) in favor of a gaming manual? Maybe if you made more clear exactly what kind of literature you prefer. If you want a repeat of Tolkien, The Sword of Shannara did that two decades before the LOTR movies. Or you could try Spencers The Faerie Queene:
http://www.uoregon.edu/~rbear/fqintro.html
It's loaded with incredible imagery, but it is very allegorical, virtually a literary morality play. Maybe this is more your taste? I'd actually like to know. Are you after something more contemporary? Or more difficult? I'm up for both, but I'm a little confused where you want this thread to go.

Last edited by radagastly; 10-23-2007 at 08:47 PM.
radagastly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 08:37 PM   #12
William Cloud Hicklin
Loremaster of Annúminas

William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I must disagree with Alfirin: the problem with post-Tolkien "Tolkieneqsue" books is that, well, they're being imitative rather than seeking their own voice and perspective. Thus Brookseddingsjordanpaolini all read as pale, weak imitations of Tolkien.

Your criticisms of Eddison and Lindsay boil down to their being "too hard;" which, in a thread asking for fantasies of intellectual weight, isn't much of an argument.
Old 10-24-2007, 03:47 AM   #13
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
This is an interesting question - which other works carry a similar weight, are "intellectually demanding" and "offer stimulation for imagination and debate"? I have found that few works of the fantasy genre can stand up: Ursula LeGuin's Earthsea series; Frank Herbert's Dune series, which could be classified as space fantasy; Philip Pullmann's These Dark Materials series (not entirely satisfactory, but definitely full of originality, worth reading); and yes, the Harry Potter books, in their own fashion and on their level as juvenile literature, at least in the beginning. However, the genre in which I do most of my reading is a different one, and I find that many of its works can fit into the category which is asked here: historical fiction.

Historical novels can take me to other times and places that are just as fantastic to me as fictional worlds. They give me food for thought, for both imagination and intellect, and bring to life a period of time which I was not able to experience directly in my lifetime. (I can only fantasize about living in Medieval England, for example, or Colonial India, just as some readers fantasize about going to Middle-earth.) The fact that they include actual history does not lessen their impact on my imagination; the very thing that makes Tolkien's Middle-earth come alive is, after all, verisimilitude. I find that the LotR often feels more like an historical novel than like any run of the mill fantasy.

I have read hundreds of historical novels in the course of past decades, so I can list only a very few favorite books that stand out in my memory - which speaks for their quality! (I have not included the classics, such as Dickens, Austen, etc., only more recent modern authors.)

The Pillars of the Earth - Ken Follett
Pope Joan - Donna Cross
The Physician - Noah Gordon
The Far Pavilions - M. M. Kaye

Oh, and if you haven't read C. S. Lewis' space trilogy, that definitely has more depth and interest than the Narnia books (which should in all fairness be compared only to other juvenile literature).
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 08:41 AM   #14
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I will say nothing about your comment concerning the Chronicles of Narnia. It would do no good.

However, I would say - don't put C.S. Lewis' work aside altogether. His Space Trilogy is exceptional (consisting of Out of the Silent Planet, Perelandra, and That Hideous Strength) and his book Till We Have Faces is extremely deep and intellectual.

-- Folwren
Old 10-24-2007, 08:56 AM   #15
William Cloud Hicklin
Loremaster of Annúminas

Ah... if we're going into historical fiction with a fantastic element, then by all means read Susannah Clarke's Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell,, which involves the rediscovery of English witchcraft at the time of the Napoleonic Wars.
Old 10-24-2007, 10:23 AM   #16
Mansun

The Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerhand View Post
I think you have a very narrow minded perspective on what fine literature is. It sounds to me like you want to read novels that are totally similar to the ones you are already comfortable with. Might i recommend broadening the horizons.

I'm fairly confident some people reading that post will think ill of you for comments such as 'these books are aimed at the younger generation who grew up watching Rugrats & Teletubbies' and 'I felt they were even lower in quality than the Hobbit'; both of which were unctuous, for want of a better word.

The point I am making is, there must be other great literature out there that can rival the LOTR in every sense of the word. Harry Potter hardly sounds like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by radagastly View Post
Originally posted by Mansun:

I'd actually like to know. Are you after something more contemporary? Or more difficult? I'm up for both, but I'm a little confused where you want this thread to go.
I would want to concentrate on the intellect side of a fantasy novel here most of all, besides having great characters & ideas. The Lone Wolf books I mentioned were not novels, but they maintained a reasonable amount of intellect within them, whilst offering an excellent display of characters & ideas

Last edited by Mansun; 10-24-2007 at 10:31 AM.
Old 10-24-2007, 11:43 AM   #17
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
Quote:
Harry Potter hardly sounds like it.~Mansun
And as I said in my last post, I wouldn't be too quick to judge Harry Potter as being 'devoid of intellect' simply because the target audience is young adults. I know people much older than me who not only love Rowling's writings, but also learn a great deal about languages, history, mythology and much more.

I noted the meaning of 'Severus Snape,' but surely it doesn't end there. How about Voldemort? 'mort' from the french 'mourir' = death...'vol de' has several translations...either 'flight of,' 'wings of,' something along those lines. So Voldemort = 'flight/wings of death'

Or how about Argus Filch? Argus was a greek monster with 100s of eyes...hmm Filch seems to see everything that goes on in Hogwartz.

Basically, I'm saying, just because the target audience was 'young adult,' that in no way means the Harry Potter books have no 'intellect' quality. Rowling drew from many of the same myths as Tolkien, as well as using some different references in her own specialized area (French influence...which was her major and I believe she taught in Scotland).

Or perhaps you would enjoy Isaac Asimov...as Tolkien said in a footnote in Letter 294: I enjoy the S.F.of Isaac Asimov
Old 10-24-2007, 11:49 AM   #18
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I'd forget looking for any fantasy novels that are as good as Tolkien's work - there aren't any.

If you're looking for something to move onto I'd suggest the Icelandic Sagas. The greatest is Njal's Saga, & that's probably the best place to start, but Egil's Saga or Grettir's Saga are also incredible works. If you liked CoH you'll definitely enjoy them. Be warned though, if you're not a fan of gallows humour:
Quote:
One morning when Thorgeir was preparing to row out with two other men, one of whom was named Brand, Thorgeir was walking ahead with a leather skin on his back containing some drink. It was very dark, and as he passed the boat-house Thorfinn sprang out upon him and dealt him a blow with an axe between his shoulders. The axe went into something and made a squeaking noise. Thorfinn let go his axe, feeling quite sure that no bandages would be needed, and being very anxious to escape as fast as he could. He ran North, and reaching Arnes before the day had quite broken, said that he had killed Thorgeir and that Flosi must protect him....

(There follows a dispute over a beached whale)

Thorgeir Bottleback was the first to get on to the whale where Flosi's men were. Thorfinn, who was spoken of before, was cutting it up, standing near the head on the place where he had been carving. "I'm returning your axe!" said Thorgeir. Then he struck at Thorfinn's neck and cut off his head. (Grettir's Saga)
& graphic violence:

Quote:
Then Thorolf became so furious that he cast his shield on his back, and, grasping his halberd with both hands, bounded forward dealing cut and thrust on either side. Men sprang away from him both ways, but he slew many. Thus he cleared the way forward to earl Hring's standard, and then nothing could stop him. He slew the man who bore the earl's standard, and cut down the standard-pole. After that he lunged with his halberd at the earl's breast, driving it right through mail-coat and body, so that it came out at the shoulders; and he lifted him up on the halberd over his head, and planted the butt-end in the ground. There on the weapon the earl breathed out his life in sight of all, both friends and foes. Then Thorolf drew his sword and dealt blows on either side, his men also charging. Many Britons and Scots fell, but some turned and fled. (Egil's Saga)
you may not get on with them...
davem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 11:55 AM   #19
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Given that you clearly mean fantasy and I don't feel such need to disagree that it is the greatest piece of literature of all time .... much as I love it .

There are many non-fantasy works that I love and revisit but on the Fantasy side I am afraid returning to Narnia was a crashing disappointment. I loved the books so much as a child and bought a boxed set of hardbacks on sale thinking I might give them to my godson if I could bear to part.

I read the first three and I couldn't believe I used to like them so ..I didn't even think I liked them enough to give them to GS. It was even slightly horrific. I will try to reread the silver chair which I liked best as a child but....

More positively, if you want an intelligent contemporary writer in the fantasy genre - what about Terry Pratchett? There is a lot of humour but he uses discworld to make some shrewd observations about our own. Like Rowling he is a devotee of the one book that would challenge LOTR as my desert island choice, Brewers' Phrase and Fable. If you don't own a copy put it on your christmas list!

It is the most delightful reference book and the source of many of JK's names. And on the subject of JK - while her level of creation is not of the same nature as Tolkien, and she is not a don but she is a graduate linguist and more of a classicist than most of her generation and younger. He interest and feel for language is evident and she shares Tolkien's annoyance concerning the wrong translation of names.

Also worth a mention is Mervyn Peake's Gormenghast Triology- not easy but neither is Tolkien.

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 12:00 PM   #20
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I forgot to say that personally I haven't exhausted the paths Tolkien has to offer. I am just reading a book called Albion by Peter Ackroyd that is opening up newperspectives on it as well as other things.

Old 10-24-2007, 01:16 PM   #21
Mansun

The Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by davem View Post
I'd forget looking for any fantasy novels that are as good as Tolkien's work - there aren't any.
And there's the opportunity that arises for any Tolkein fan. Why not use this as motivation to write a novel comparable to the Lord of the Rings? If someone who has the talent & desire, as well as imagination, then a tale about a quest to do some great deed by a small unknown would indeed become very popular. THough for it to last, it indeed would have to be of enormous quality & of literacy.

I have thought about doing so in the past, but as I am only 23 & time on my hands, it can wait a little longer . . .
Old 10-24-2007, 01:39 PM   #22
William Cloud Hicklin
Loremaster of Annúminas

It's been tried. Terry Brooks, Dennis McKiernan, Steven Donaldson.....

You can't out-Tolkien Tolkien. Nobody can. What's needed are authors with their *own* vision, not imitators.
Old 10-24-2007, 01:49 PM   #23
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
And there's the opportunity that arises for any Tolkein fan. Why not use this as motivation to write a novel comparable to the Lord of the Rings? I have thought about doing so in the past, but as I am only 23 & time on my hands, it can wait a little longer . . .
And that's what millions (I dare to use that number) of Tolkien fans already tried. And some writers have finished this attempt in creating some of the books mentioned above. Not that I am skeptic on that, but... one should not think of himself more than he ought...

EDIT: Looks like William has similar thoughts on that. And I believe we are not the only ones.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Old 10-24-2007, 02:07 PM   #24
Mansun

1420!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
And that's what millions (I dare to use that number) of Tolkien fans already tried. And some writers have finished this attempt in creating some of the books mentioned above. Not that I am skeptic on that, but... one should not think of himself more than he ought...

EDIT: Looks like William has similar thoughts on that. And I believe we are not the only ones.
What is wrong with having a try for one's own satisfaction? Tolkein did this, thinking that knobody would have any interest in his work. Anyway, as I said, it would have to be an intelligent person with at least a highly respected college degree (perhaps a PhD even) with lots of desire to stand a realistic chance of reaching the level of intricacy & literacy required.
Old 10-24-2007, 02:53 PM   #25
Sir Kohran
Wight

Sir Kohran has just left Hobbiton.
The problem is that those who 'imitate' Tolkien don't really imitate him. All that people like Paolini do is write stories about dragons and elves and magic...sure, Tolkien wrote about that stuff but it's not the focus of his work, or even one of the main points. Tolkien was about much more than that. What makes Tolkien's writing so great is that it is technically fantasy and yet is always grounded in reality - you get a sense of history, of time and of place - there's meaning and depth and significance to those stories.

Maybe the problem is that typical fantasy by itself simply isn't very interesting to read about or watch. Dragons, 'mages', cities, magic swords, demons...I don't know about everyone else but it all comes across as frankly dull. Does anyone else feel this?

Last edited by Sir Kohran; 11-14-2007 at 11:10 AM.
Sir Kohran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 03:22 PM   #26
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
What is wrong with having a try for one's own satisfaction? Tolkein did this, thinking that knobody would have any interest in his work. Anyway, as I said, it would have to be an intelligent person with at least a highly respected college degree (perhaps a PhD even) with lots of desire to stand a realistic chance of reaching the level of intricacy & literacy required.
Nothing is wrong with that. I am not trying to lead anyone away from his attempts, I just want to point out that this is not going to be the first neither the last attempt to do that, and I believe a writer's motivation should stand on his own reasons and not on catching up with some other writer's work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Kohran View Post
Maybe the problem is that typical fantasy by itself simply isn't very interesting to read about or watch. Dragons, 'mages', cities, magic swords, demons...I don't know about everyone else but it all comes across as frankly dull. Does anyone else feel this?
You are pretty much summing up my feelings. Yes, that's it. I am not saying that for example Paolini is totally bad, but personally, I daresay everyone could write what he did. Or - and that's the real trick - everyone is writing that. Cliché and nothing as much inventive - everything was here before in LotR, Star Wars and the Riftwar Saga (I mean the dragon riders now); but why not, it could be - but there is nothing more. Nothing of his own invention, as far as I am concerned.
Old 10-25-2007, 09:06 AM   #27
Hammerhand
Haunting Spirit

Hammerhand has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Hammerhand
Anything by Alexandre Dumas stimulates me. I will dare say that The Count of Monte Cristo is the best novel i have ever read. It is very different to the works of Tolkien, it touches on concepts that aren't really discussed in LotR. It also gives a great, though fictional, perception of a revolutionized France with explicit detail to social status and contemporary affairs. I recommend this book, along with the obvious classics as a great works of literature.

That aside, A Tale of Two Cities and Raymond Feist's Magician offer a high standard of literature, whilst maintaining a riveting plot.
Old 10-25-2007, 11:35 AM   #28
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

For me, I am not interested in Fantasy per se, I am interested in Middle Earth, its languages, history and culture. I didn't want particularly to read things like LOTR I wanted to read more about Middle Earth so I disdained things like the Sword of Shannara as poor imitations and when I exhausted the available stories of Middle Earth (up to UT at that point) I moved on to other things. I did get the early volumes of HoME as they emerged but they were relatively expensive and difficult and I had neither the time nor money as I pursued studies in literature at a time Tolkienophilia was a love that dared not speak its name in most english faculties. Tolkien is not my only literary love - and I think that is healthy, for what do they know of Tolkien who only tolkien know?.

Others include Wharton, Austen, Galsworthy, Maupassant, Orwell - unsurpassed to my mind as a writer of non fiction - Shute, St Exupery and I have an interest in detective fiction to the extent of having vague plans for a book. My latest favourite is Precious Bane by Mary Webb.

While I am not particularly interested in derivcative/imitave works - originality is a characteristic of greatnes though not it's sole requirement. I did quite enjoy Eragon. I think Pullman has originality and writes beautifully though the second two volumes were progressively more disappointing after the brilliance of Northern Lights.

Works may not be great like LOTR but may be great like themselves and not necessarily inferior.

Old 10-26-2007, 10:32 AM   #29
Mansun

1420!

I had thought of writing a novel set in an ancient fantasy world, whereby the good cities are at great trouble with their enemies from the Dark Lands and require aid from their allies from overseas. This sets an opportunity for an unknown hero and his crew to journey across the ocean on a ship to rally the aid of the allies, in a trek which would intitially bring great dangers from piracy and more. Upon return with these key allies, the dark armies are held at bay. A new partnership is forged between the two kings who have mastered this victory, and should the need arise, one day each would serve the other in the same way again.

A very sketchy plan (I don't want to give too much away!), but such stories can be made without trying to emulate the LOTR. I can't see how I would use elves or dwarves though. In a world of men & monsters, these two races are hard to fit in with everything else.
Old 10-26-2007, 10:57 AM   #30
William Cloud Hicklin
Loremaster of Annúminas

Then don't try to fit them in. Elves or Dwarves or Hobbits should only appear if they're necessary to what you're trying to say. Otherwise, they're just fripperies, unnecessary elements tossed in because High Fantasy is 'supposed' to have them- and that's just imitation.
Old 10-26-2007, 12:18 PM   #31
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boromir88 View Post
How about Voldemort? 'mort' from the french 'mourir' = death...'vol de' has several translations...either 'flight of,' 'wings of,' something along those lines. So Voldemort = 'flight/wings of death'

[/I]
As a side note
I would say flight of death /deathflight is probably the desired translation - Rowling would certainly be aware of a very famous French novel by Antoine de St Exupery (author of "The Little Prince") called "Vol de Nuit" or night flight. However voler is polysemic and can mean to steal. Voldemort could translate as theft of death which is possible given Riddle's desire for immortality.

Old 10-26-2007, 02:33 PM   #32
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Certainly of historical interest is William Rice Burroughs' A Princess of Mars, the first in his Barsoom series. Jewellery of some note plays a part in the narrative.
Old 10-26-2007, 03:02 PM   #33
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
When I think of "what next to read" I find that I am somehow looking for another eucatastrophe.

George MacDonald has some. Lilith, Phantastes, The Wise Woman, The Castle, The Golden Key.
Old 10-27-2007, 08:31 PM   #34
Iarwain
Pugnaciously Primordial Paradox

Iarwain has just left Hobbiton.
Boots

The Brothers Karamazov
by Fyodor Dostoevsky

The best novel I've read. It's beautiful, exciting, and adventurous. Dostoevsky is intensely descriptive and has incredible characters. He creates a little world for you and you explore it with the characters, as they struggle to figure things out (if only they can do it in time!)...

Bulfinch's Mythology
If you liked the Silmarillion and/or Unfinished Tales, you'll love Bulfinch's Mythology. It's quite long and endlessly amusing, and you'll get to see a lot of the source material that Tolkien worked from. The book has three parts: Ancient (greco-roman) mythology, Arthurian Legends, and Legends relating to Charlemagne.

The Iliad
Homer

Homer is to Greek Mythology what the Lord of the Rings is to the Silmarillion. Truly spectacular book (The Odyssey is good too, but the Iliad is much better). You'll love it!

C.S. Lewis's Space Trilogy:
Out of the Silent Planet
Perelandra
That Hideous Strength

Excellent Sci-Fi, with the added bonus that it's intellectually substantial. There's a lot of mythology here too.

All of these books are spectacular, and you'll be better off having read them.

Best Wishes!
Iarwain
Old 10-27-2007, 08:51 PM   #35
Iarwain
Pugnaciously Primordial Paradox

Iarwain has just left Hobbiton.
Boots

If you're just looking for excellent books in general, here's a list of authors and/or books
  • Dostoevsky (everything)
  • Salman Rushdie (esp. Midnight's Children)
  • Aeschylus (esp. Agamemnon)
  • Euripides (esp. Medea, the Bacchae)
  • Aristophanes (esp. The Frogs, The Wasps)
  • Plato (esp. The Apology, The Republic)
  • Tolstoy (esp. The Death of Ivan Ilych, any short stories, and basically anything)
  • T.S. Eliot (esp. "Prufrock and Other Observations")
  • Kierkegaard (esp. The Sickness Unto Death, Fear and Trembling -- Kierkegaard will change your life, he's that good; it's like he reaches out of the page and grabs hold of you)
  • Robert Bolt, "A Man for All Seasons"
  • Solzhenitsyn (esp. The First Circle)
  • William Golding (esp. Free Fall, it's nothing like "Lord of the Flies")
  • Augustine, "Confessions"

While you're at it, get yourself a copy of the Norton Anthology of Poetry, it's one of the best books I own, and it's endlessly wonderful.

Also, if you want a guide to excellent books in general, check out Mortimer Adler's "How to Read a Book". It's really wonderful and worth reading itself.

Off Wandering Again,
Iarwain
Old 11-02-2007, 11:55 AM   #36
Mansun

Sting

Is't this Harry Potter chap just a rip-off of Frodo Baggins? I would have thought a lawsuit for copyright infringements could be possible?
Old 11-05-2007, 03:13 PM   #37
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mansun
Is't this Harry Potter chap just a rip-off of Frodo Baggins? I would have thought a lawsuit for copyright infringements could be possible?
You can hold whatever opinion you wish, but let me put it this way: in that case, Aragorn, Superman and Odysseus and about a half million of others are also the same persons.

Enough of that. Concerning other books that could be suggested, in the discussion on another thread there was magical realism mentioned. This reminded me that I could add I liked very much Chingiz Aitmatov. I read The White Ship; Farewell, Gulsary; The Day Lasts More Than a Hundred Years, and one more, I can't remember that now. It is very nice and sometimes very sad, and generally very, very emotional; along with interesting philosophical/ethical background. It has its own magic not unlike that of Tolkien, I daresay, though it is more realistic - in every aspect of the word (not just that the stories are from our, and not fictional world, although technically each world in a book is fictional) - but fantastic at the same time, and also more sad than Tolkien. But the magic similar to Tolkien is, I believe, also in this sadness - it has something close to the departure of the Elves and the stories of Arda Marred in it.
Old 11-08-2007, 02:28 PM   #38
Mansun

Is there another novel with a similar theme of elves central to the story as with the LOTR?
Old 11-08-2007, 03:37 PM   #39
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I've just started reading Moorcock's Elric stories, intrigued by this from Wikipedia:

Quote:
Túrin shares some similarities with Michael Moorcock's Elric of Melniboné, who is also based on Kullervo. Both are anti-heroes who wield sentient black swords (both one of a pair — though this detail is not yet present in the earliest version of Túrin's story written in 1910s), unwittingly kill friends or lovers with them, and are killed by them. The first Elric stories were published before The Silmarillion, so the detail of the black sword(s) may have been conceived independently by both writers.
Haven't got very far yet, but another 'co-incidence' is that both Elric & Turin wear a dragon helm. The similarities are perhaps more on the surface than deep down, but they are odd. Of course, Moorcock had met Tolkien in the fifties, but I don't think there's any suggestion that they discussed Tolkien's mythology, so its not really likely that Moorcock learned anything of Turin.

I did find this discussion on Moorcock's Forum http://forum.barrowdowns.com/newrepl...ote=1&p=535567

Here are a couple of comments by Moorcock himself:
Quote:
OK. Anderson's a definite influence, as stated. But oddly, the Kalevala was read to us at my boarding school when I was about seven. And, of course, Longfellow pinched the metre from the Finnish, as he stated.
What I haven't read, of course, is the Tolkien, though I believe he began the Silmarrillion earlier than parts of Lord of the Rings, at least. I have to admit here, too, that I haven't read large chunks of Lord of the Rings. I realised this after attending the final movie and realising I had no clear idea what was going to happen, though I remember skipping through the books looking for references to Golem, who could be said to be a much closer to Elric's precurser than any bloody fair-haired elf or other... However, from a very early age I was reading Norse legends and any books I could find about Norse stories, as well as hearing The King of Ireland's Son at the same school. I think the book which I read first was in a Scott Moncrieff series, which I think I've seen reprinted in relatively recent times. I also read a lot of metric romances and so on as a kid,
which would have contained many elements which influenced me. But one thing I'm pretty sure of, I was not in any way directly influenced by Prof. T I'm not familiar with arguments between Torky fans, either. But then they probably don't talk much about Jung, who would tell us all this stuff is from the common race memory, anyway. Early enthusiasm for The White Goddess and The Golden Bough must have had a good deal to do with it, too.
&

Quote:
Yeah, old Johnny Tolkien was always ringing me up, desperate for a sequel to his top-selling fantasy trilogy. It was embarrassing, really. Those calls in the middle of the night, interspersed with the sound of a desperately puffed pipe as Allen and Unwin's deadline got closer and closer and the Inland Revenue started breathing down his neck. "Why don't you find some sucker to give you a few grand for the film rights," I told him. "Nobody'll ever make it and you'll be able to pay off the tax."
I understand that Silmarillion was written before LOTR, but I promise I didn't pinch Elric by climbing over his back fence and rifling through what I could find in his shed (isn't it strange how many writers work in sheds or converted garages ? My office at Lost Pines is a converted garage.)
Elric pretty much developed as I wrote him, so I'm not sure what process was going on there, except Finnish folklore (including Babi Yar) was read to us at my school when I was about seven, along with Padraic Colum's King of Ireland's Son. I suspect a common grounding and probably a fairly similar education is what turned out Tolkien, the 1918 war vet philologist and Moorcock, the 1945 survivor journalist... An enthusiasm for earlier trilogies by Eddison and the like might turn up some common stuff, too. Not being that familiar with Tolkien, but having read much the same kind of material, I'm not sure how many similarities there are. But it could be another reason I prefer Elizabeth Bowen's social fiction, for instance, to most fantasy -- just as Bowen loved horror fiction and Angus Wilson loved science fiction -- you admire the people who do what you have a hard time doing, from whom you can learn.
Very interested in his statement in the first response - considering his very negative comments on Tolkien's work:

"I have to admit here, too, that I haven't read large chunks of Lord of the Rings. I realised this after attending the final movie and realising I had no clear idea what was going to happen"
davem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 11:00 PM   #40
Snowdog
Emperor of the South Pole

Snowdog is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Pipe

About the only fantasy series that caught my interest after Tolkien was Morecock's Elric series and Glen Cook's Black Company series, and I think its because they were different than Tolkien that caugt my interest. Couldn't get into G.R.R. Martin, Robert Jordan, or Terry Brooks.
Snowdog is offline   Reply With Quote