The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books > Chapter-by-Chapter
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2004, 04:28 AM   #1
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Ring LotR -- Book 2 - Chapter 03 - The Ring goes South

This chapter is divided into two parts: the first takes place in Rivendell; the second tells of the first part of the journey of the Fellowship.

Unlike the movie, where the Fellowship members volunteer during the Council meeting, the process in the book takes time. First information must be gathered concerning the Riders, which means that all concerned must wait for almost two months. The hobbits feel the beneficial power of Rivendell:
Quote:
…all fear and anxiety was lifted from their minds. The future, good or ill, was not forgotten, but ceased to have any power over the present. Health and hope grew strong in them, and they were content with each good day as it came…
In hindsight, knowing that Elrond wielded one of the Elven rings, those words seem to tell us what it was capable of accomplishing.

Then the day of decision comes; Elrond names the Fellowship members, though it is Gandalf who speaks for the inclusion of Merry and Pippin with his words about trusting to friendship rather than wisdom. I can’t help but wonder – if Elrond had succeeded in his original purpose of sending them to the Shire to warn their fellow hobbits of danger, would that have saved the Shire from the events that led to the Scouring? I think not, as they were not yet prepared to defend themselves, their people and their land. Interestingly, at this point, Aragorn states that Minas Tirith is his goal, as he intends to accompany Boromir there.

Two weapons are mentioned that will play a major role in future events – Andúril, the reforged Narsil, and Sting, which Bilbo gives to Frodo. Additionally, the gift of the mithril mail shirt is vital to the success of Frodo’s mission, as it saves his life later on.

One poem is given, Bilbo’s song “I sit beside the fire and think”.

Then the Fellowship leaves, at Elrond’s insistence with no promises made as to staying with the Ringbearer. They journey through Hollin to Caradhras, where the weather defeats them, apparently with some evil supernatural influence. With that defeat, the chapter ends.

Do you find yourself comparing the book and the movie at this point in the story? What parts of the chapter impress you most? Let’s discuss the choice of the Fellowship, if possible without getting too far ahead in the story…
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 06:01 AM   #2
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Sam eased the pack on his shoulders, & went over anxiously in his mind all the things that he had stowed in it, wondering if he had forgotten anything: his chief treasure, his cooking gear; & the little box of salt that he always carried & refilled when he could; a good supply of pipe-weed (but not near enough, I’ll warrant); flint & tinder; woolen hose; linen; various small things of his master’s that Frodo had forgotten & Sam had stowed to bring them out in triumph when they were called for
In the essay ‘Frodo’s Batman’ (Tolkien Studies vol 1), Mark T Hooker quotes from Lieutenant Colonel Graham Seton Hutchinson’s biography of his batman, Perter McLintock:

Quote:
[Peter’s] friendliness took complete possession of the necessary, though often incconvenient, affairs of life. In such things Peter’s service was priceless. No matter at what hour I would return to the cubby hole for sleep, it was as dry & as warm as human ingenuity could devise. Eggs & small comforts he cojured from behind the lines without any promptings from me ... He would ... prepare a varied menu from interminable bread, plum-&-apple jam, & the sickly meat & vegetable ration. He woulld clean my limited wardrobe, wash & mend the socks & shirts, keep me supplied with tobacco, dry my boots & stockings. The batman was multum in parco to his charge, omnipresent yet ubiquitous ... And he would run when his officer went over the top, & fight by his side. When the officer dropped, the batman was beside him’.

Peter’s friendship expressed itself in ‘little acts of vigilant kindness. Opportunities for the rendering of trifling services & for the doing of kindness were ever present, every hour & every day. The batman’s attitude was one of subordination, & he tarried neither to consider the worthiness of his charge nor the nature of thee service asked. He gave freely, the man of humble origin & pursuit, to one at least temporarily exalted with authority. By his ready service, words & gestures he won affection, by his forethought & unknown sacrifices, he penetrated quietly & unobtrusively into the heart of the master of his goings & his comings.’
I think this sums up Sam to a T, & shows that Tolkien wasn’t exagerating when he claimed Sam was based on the batmen who served the officers in WW1.

Other things that stick in my mind from this chapter are the way we are again presented with the idea that Middle earth itself is somehow alive - it does not quickly forget places the Elves have dwelt, It can be malicious & cruel - so different from the movie, where the malice is Saruman’s, here we have the mountain itself venting its wrath on those who dare to trespass.

Also, the miruvor - odd that the source of sustenance that comes from Rivendell is drink that from Lorien is food,yet both seem to have the same uplifting & life sustaining power.

And why nine companions in the Fellowship - it seems that Elrond felt that the number was so significant that he decided on that first, & then struggled to find people to make it up. Why was it so important that there be nine companions?

(Another thing - for those interested - CT gives us the translation of naur an edraith ammen, Gandalf’s firekindling spell: ‘fire be for saving of us’, which, if anyone has heard the BBC Radio Hobbit, is misused there, where Gandalf uses it to start any fire at all, no matter what the circumstances.)

Finally, a couple of lines from Home, which didn’t make it into the final draft, but which I like for the way they show the development of Gandalf’s character. The first is from the first version, where the travellers are Gandalf, Boromir, Trotter & the hobbits.

Quote:
How are we to get to the turn?’ asked Trotter.
‘I don’t know!’ said Boromir. ‘It is a pity Gandalf can’t produce flame enough to melt us a pathway.’
‘I daresay it is,’ snapped Gandalf, ‘but even I need a few materials to work upon. I can kindle fire, not feed it. What you want is a dragon not a wizard.’
Indeed I think a tame dragon would actually be more useful at the moment than a wild wizard.’ said Boromir - with a laugh that did not in any way appease Gandalf.

‘At the moment, at the moment,,’ he replied. ‘Later on we may see. I am old enough to be your great-grandfather’s ancestor - but I am not doddery yet. It will serve you right if you meet a wild dragon.’
The next is a later variant, where Legolas is the target of Gandalf’s ire:

Quote:
’It is a pity,’ said Legolas, ‘that Gandalf cannot go before us with a bright flame, & melt us a path.’
‘It is a pity that Elves cannot fly over mountains, & fetch the sun to save them,’ answered Gandalf. ‘Even I need something to work on. I cannot burn snow. But I could turn Legolas into a flaming torch, if that will serve: he would burn bright while he lasted.’
‘Spare me!’ cried legolas. ‘I fear that a dragon is concealed in the shape of our wizard. Yet a tame dragon would be useful at this hour.’
‘It will be a wild dragon, if you say anymore,’ said Gandalf.
I have to say that this is my favourite put down that never made it into the final version - possibly apart from Aragorn’s reposte to Gimli after he had looked into the Palantir:

Quote:
’You looked in the stone!’ said Gimli, amazed, awestruck, & rather alarmed* . ‘What did you tell - him?’
‘What did I tell him?’ said Aragorn sternly, & his eyes glinted. ‘That I had a rascal of a rebel dwarf here that I would exchange for a couple of good orcs, thank you!’’
(*really ran the gamut of emotions there!)
davem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 02:52 PM   #3
tar-ancalime
Shade of Carn Dûm

tar-ancalime has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

davem said:

Quote:
And why nine companions in the Fellowship - it seems that Elrond felt that the number was so significant that he decided on that first, & then struggled to find people to make it up. Why was it so important that there be nine companions?
Elrond said:

Quote:
"The company of the Ring shall be Nine; and the Nine Walkers shall be set against the Nine Riders that are evil."
Just before that, Gandalf said:

Quote:
"It is rash to be too sure, yet I think that we may hope now that the Ringwraiths were scattered, and have been obliged to return as best they could to their Master in Mordor, empty and shapeless. If that is so, it will be some time before they can begin the hunt again."
Elrond is setting up the Fellowship as a symbolic challenge to the Nazgul. Nine who travel with the Ring versus nine who seek it.

It works on more levels than that, too. It sets Rivendell up as the antithesis to Mordor: the Nazgul come from Minas Morgul and hunt the Ring almost to the door of Rivendell, while the Company sets out from Rivendell with the ultimate goal of destroying the Ring in Orodruin. It's true that none of the members of the Fellowship (besides Frodo) are really bound to travel the whole distance (and they're certainly not bound to each other or to Elrond with anything like the bond between Sauron and his Wraiths), and indeed Boromir and Aragorn state their destination to be Minas Tirith, but the Fellowship's existence is so heavily symbolic that it is really immaterial whether or not all of its members complete the mission.

The point is the setting out, as illustrated by Gandalf's pronouncement concerning the Nazgul. At the time the Company starts from Rivendell, the Nazgul are at least temporarily incapacitated. So in addition to becoming the symbolic foils for the Nazgul, the Nine Walkers at first even replace the Nine Riders, stepping into the world at a time when their enemies have temporarily been incapacitated.

All of which brings up another interesting conjecture--by sending out his own hand-picked Company of Nine against the other Nine, is Elrond setting himself up as the symbolic enemy of Sauron? It's not too implausible--he's one of only a few First-Agers still around at this point in the story, he's a Ring-Bearer, he's certainly the master of one of the more powerful realms remaining in the world. And at least temporarily, the Ring is in his house, not Sauron's.
Old 09-27-2004, 03:37 PM   #4
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
1420! The importance of the Fellowship.

I have heard a few people ask on threads, what's the point of the fellowship, it breaks apart in the FOTR, and the "task," which was to help Frodo destroy the ring has been torn apart. Here's the way I think of it, you have this group of nine, good friends, and establish a good friendship with eachother. But, when the fellowship does break, it breaks into even smaller fellowships, but those fellowships carry a stronger friendship. You have Aragorn, Legolas, Gimli all develop a strong friendship. Sam was just a servant to Frodo before, and ends up being Frodo's best friends/most loyal companion. Then the friendship between Merry and Pippin grows. Also, and interesting one, Gandalf and Pippin, we see Gandalf scold Pippin a few times, but so many times Gandalf acts as that father figure to Pippin (as well as the other hobbits) but Pippin is the one that caught my eye. So, back to original point, you have a group of friends, called "The Fellowship," it breaks, but then it grows into a bunch of "smaller fellowships" yet the bonds between them are stronger.

I also think each member had a purpose for being there, I haven't figured out why all were placed there yet, but here's who I think I've figured out.

Gandalf-He acts as a guide towards the whole Fellowship, I sort of see him as that little voice on your shoulder, sure he dies and departs from the Fellowship in Moria, but even in his death he helps the Fellowship, by maybe past sayings that he said earlier. Or, even helping Frodo on Amon Sul, battling with Sauron when Frodo put on the ring.

Aragorn- The King, of course he will be in the Fellowship, his main task is to go to Minas Tirith and reinstall a King in Gondor, and to help Frodo for as long as he stays in the Fellowship.

Boromir- His sole purpose I believe was to show Frodo he needed to get away from the Fellowship. By him going crazy on Frodo, that showed Frodo the ring was tearing apart the Fellowship, and he needed to get out of there, before any other member turns into a "Boromir." Also, Boromir's strength helps out the Fellowship as well, I mean Aragorn can't carry 4 hobbits through the snow by himself. Gimli is too short, and Legolas just prances on top of the snow.

Frodo- simple to destroy the ring.

Sam- simple, to be a faithful companion of Frodo, and help him destroy the ring, and also watch out for that treachorous Gollum.

Merry- Without him in the Fellowship, he wouldn't have been in Minas Tirith to help slay the Witch-King, or "stir the ents" to fight Saruman. Eowyn wouldn't have beaten the WK without Merry's help, there's no doubt about that. Also, he arroused the Ents, now it didn't happen like it did in the movie, because the Ents were already ticked at Saruman, they just didn't have any reason to go to war, until Merry and Pippin roused them up.

Pippin- Reason mentioned above, "wakening" up the ents, and of course saving Faramir's life.

Gimli and Legolas I haven't quite figured out yet. Legolas, might have been chosen because maybe someone like a Glorfindel or one of Elrond's sons would have just been too powerful and might have been noticed sooner. Gimli, provides good axe skill, and good fighter, he clearly is one of the best fighters in the fellowship, because Aragorn is even impressed by Gimli's axe work.

Last edited by Boromir88; 09-27-2004 at 03:41 PM.
Boromir88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 03:38 PM   #5
Tuor of Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Pennsylvania, WtR, passed Sarn Gebir: Above the rapids (1239 miles) BtR, passed Black Rider Stopping Place (31 miles)
Tuor of Gondolin has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

""It is rash to be too sure, yet I think that we may hope now that the Ringwraiths were scattered, and have been obliged to return as best they could to their Master in Mordor, empty and shapeless. If that is so, it will be some time before they can begin the hunt again."
--------------------------
Despite Elrond's worry about rashness, it's always seemed to me that the more
prudent course would have been to leave within a week or two. This would have
given enough time for scouting in the immediate vicinity, and left much less time
for the nazgul to regroup, inform Sauron of events, and perhaps lay new traps for
Frodo and friends.
Old 09-27-2004, 07:46 PM   #6
Aiwendil
Late Istar

Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
This chapter provides us with what I think is one of the key examples of Jackson's failure to appreciate the reasons for which Tolkien was so succesful. I speak of Saruman's spell, causing the storm on Caradhras. To Jackson's way of thinking, the storm is a waste if it does not stem directly from the plot, hence he feels the need to motivate it through Saruman. But in the book the storm has the important function of providing depth, and thus believability, to Middle-earth.

As with the Old Forest and the Barrow-downs, we find that not all evil can be directly traced to Sauron. But more than that, it characterizes Middle-earth. For Tolkien, as some have observed elsewhere, the physical landscape is itself a kind of character. It has its own personality (or personalities); it can aid or obstruct our protagonists; it is a real presence that must be dealt with, the same as any character. The story of the attempted passage of Caradhras is the story of the defeat of a powerful wizard, a king, a warrior, an elf, a dwarf, and four hobbits by nature itself. It's foreshadowed earlier in the chapter:

Quote:
When winter first begins to bite
and stones crack in the frosty night
when pools are black and trees are bare
'tis evil in the Wild to fare.
Note the capitalized "Wild".
Aiwendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 07:58 PM   #7
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
1420! I had thought.

I had thought that Sauron or maybe the Witch-king stirred up the storms on Caradhras. Aiwendil, if I'm taking what you said wrong, then please correct me, but here's what I mean...

Quote:
I speak of Saruman's spell, causing the storm on Caradhras.
And here's what I think would make me realize Sauron or the WK caused the storm.

Quote:
The Ring goes South
"I wonder if this is a contrivance of the Enemy," said Boromir "They say in my land that he can govern the storms in the Mountains of Shadow that stand upon the borders of Mordor. He has strange powers and many allies."
"His arm has grown long indeed," said Gimli, "if he can draw snow down from the North to trouble us here three hundred leagues away."
"His arm has grown long," said Gandalf.
Here we have Boromir saying, Sauron stirs storms in the mountains around Mordor. Gimli says Sauron's arms grown long if he can trouble Caradhras and the mountains so far, and Gandalf says "his arm has grown long." To me that suggests, Gandalf believes Sauron is troubling the storms. Now, Gandalf isn't always right, so Aiwendil, I would love to see where you found how Saruman stirred the storms, because I could be missing something.
Boromir88 is offline   Reply With Quote