The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-28-2005, 11:57 AM   #1
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Real world reminders

I was visiting (being dragged round) Leeds Castle today and while there we watched a falconry display. One of the birds was named Lurtz and of course I was immediately sent back into LotR land.

This thread is basically to ask what in the real world reminds you of LotR but also whether anyone has ever seen places, animals or even people with ME names.
Old 08-28-2005, 12:27 PM   #2
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to wilwarin538
There's a song called Its about time from a band called Lillix, that always gets me thinking of LotR, it has nothing to do with it , yet LotR just pops into mind whenever I hear that song. Its weird.
Old 08-28-2005, 02:52 PM   #3
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Celuien has just left Hobbiton.
The Brandywine River isn't far from where I live. Maybe I really do live in Middle Earth.
Old 08-28-2005, 03:33 PM   #4
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Glirdan is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to Glirdan
The song "White Flag" from Dido reminds me of Aragorn coming up the Anduin and unfurling the Standard of Arwen, even though it's not a "White Flag".
Old 08-29-2005, 03:01 AM   #5
Elonve
Wight

Elonve has just left Hobbiton.
There is this one place where i live and its called Dolphins nose... Feels like the shire!
________
HONDA NSR500 HISTORY

Last edited by Elonve; 04-09-2011 at 06:08 PM.
Elonve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 08:44 AM   #6
Dimturiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Dimturiel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to Dimturiel Send a message via Yahoo to Dimturiel
There is the poem "Stopping by woods on a snowy evening " by Robert Frost. This reminds me a lot of Middle Earth. Nights with no moon but lots of stars remind me of Middle Earth, too. And there is a cathedral being built in my town and whenever I pass it, I think of Minas Tirith.
Old 09-01-2005, 12:03 PM   #7
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
There are lots of woods around us that I often walk through. The space among the trees, the light cast by reflecting clouds sometimes, and the interesting land formation often reminds me of Amon Hen.

Every time I go on a canoe trip down river, I always think of Frodo getting into the boat in the movie- shoving off shore and jumping in. (How he did that without getting his feet wet, I've yet to figure out...)

And my horse reminds me of Brego!

- Folwren
Old 09-02-2005, 09:52 AM   #8
Nuranar
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nuranar has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Nuranar
Pipe

I was reading my Bible, in Isaiah, just a few minutes ago and a verse really stood out to me. It's at the end of Chapter 5, and Isaiah is describing the coming of the nations - or specifically, Assyria - to destroy Israel for disobedience.

Quote:
Their roar is like that of the lion,
they roar like young lions;
they growl as they seize their prey
and carry it off with no one to rescue.
In that day they will roar over it
like the roaring of the sea.
And if one looks at the land,
he will see darkness and distress;
even the light will be darkened by the clouds.

Isaiah 5:29-30 (NIV) (bold mine)
As I read that last part, without even trying I saw Mordor and the cloud of darkness that rested over it, and the darkness that reached out to Minas Tirith when it was attacked. I'm not pointing out any deeper significance, or trying to find parallels between disobedient Israel and decadent Gondor. It just stood out. LotR was the last thing on my mind as I was reading, and yet those verses brought it to mind without any effort.
Old 09-02-2005, 12:54 PM   #9
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
My history textbook a few years ago mentioned a Duke of Rohan. Also, there's a bar called Rohan's not far from my house.
Encaitare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 05:15 PM   #10
Orominuialwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Umbar, but before the corsairs took over. (Ave Maria University, FL, USA)
Orominuialwen has just left Hobbiton.
My world history textbook last year had a section of a chapter that was called "A Window to the West." (The chapter was about Russia under Catherine the Great, I believe.) Not exactly the same (as opposed to The Window on the West), but so close that it was freaky.
Old 10-20-2005, 11:50 AM   #11
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Doing my RS homework this morning reminded me of this old thing. I was writing about Solomon and his successes and failures and every now and then I had to write the word Bible, but every time it came out as Bilbo! This also happened to be in class and I made the mistake of mentioning it out loud. So now if we are being dictated to and the word Bible comes up my teacher makes a point of spelling it out for me!
Old 10-20-2005, 02:00 PM   #12
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
In my health book there was a scenario between these two kids (So-and-so suspects so-and-so has anorexia...), and one of them was named Rohan.
Firefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 01:56 PM   #13
Eonwe
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eonwe has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

my mom grows mint leaves and makes the best tea ever out of them. she steeps the leaves for like a day. it always makes me think of kingsfoil. i wish it was.
Eonwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 03:11 PM   #14
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Glirdan is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to Glirdan
I just finished reading "Lord of the Flies" by William Golding. The last chapter made me think immeadeately of the song "Into the West" at the end of the movie.
Old 10-31-2005, 02:38 PM   #15
Celebuial
Wight

Celebuial has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Celebuial
I'm sure there's an older thread that talks about this, I'm sure I've posted on it... let me see if I can find a link, you might find it interesting... It's called I see Middle-Earth:

http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=11694
Boe min bango.
Celebuial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 05:13 PM   #16
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Hmm, that looks to be just places. Cheers for the link though.
Old 11-06-2005, 06:01 PM   #17
Dûrbelethwen
Haunting Spirit

Dûrbelethwen has just left Hobbiton.
This one is kind of strange but I thought I would mention it as it might be good for a few chuckles. Last Monday when President Bush was giving his introductory speech for Judge Alito, I noticed maybe because of how his hair was arranged, it looked like he had pointed ears like an elf.
Dûrbelethwen is offline   Reply With Quote