The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-06-2006, 12:45 PM   #3601
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durelin
I would dearly love to do my game over Thanksgiving break, but if Fea's game gets scheduled for then, I think I can squeeze it in before then.
Thanksgiving is all yours. Based on responses, 'any time' is the best time and Thanksgiving is the outright only time that's been explicitly stated as less than stellar.

If everybody's ready-ish for my game, we can get started... Sunday?

Also, much though it saddens me to finally admit defeat... I've been combing my hard drive for my file on this game for over a week and the dratted thing's completely missing and was probably deleted when my computer crashed over midterm break.

Therefore, while I can remember about half of your responses, the rest I'm fuzzy on. So if you could all be extremely dear, those of you who I haven't talked to in the past two days, and let me know if you're still in... I'd be grateful for a good long time.
Old 11-06-2006, 01:03 PM   #3602
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

Location: In my luxury Barrow, snuggled up in a pile of satin pillows, eating fresh fruit.
JennyHallu has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to JennyHallu Send a message via AIM to JennyHallu Send a message via MSN to JennyHallu Send a message via Yahoo to JennyHallu
Fea, could you post a list of the players in your game, so that I can recruit more effectively for mine?

Are you planning to run your game simultaneously with the WWJ game? There hasn't been enough interest lately for both.
Old 11-06-2006, 01:06 PM   #3603
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyHallu
Fea, could you post a list of the players in your game, so that I can recruit more effectively for mine?
I was just in the process of opening up a planning thread for organizational purposes. The plan was to post up the list of confirmed players as I receive what's probably their dozenth confirmations.

Quote:
Are you planning to run your game simultaneously with the WWJ game? There hasn't been enough interest lately for both.
I've had the players lined up for a while. The game's pretty much only been waiting for me to have a few spare seconds of breathing time. If it's stepping on toes, I'll delay it until after Thanksgiving.
Old 11-14-2006, 06:59 PM   #3604
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Fordim Hedgethistle has been trapped in the Barrow!
OK, so who does a guy speak with about running game of his own?

(Werebears: bah! Lovers: twaddle! Special powers: fiddle-dee-dee!)
Fordim Hedgethistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 08:10 PM   #3605
mormegil
Maundering Mage

mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordim Hedgethistle
OK, so who does a guy speak with about running game of his own?

(Werebears: bah! Lovers: twaddle! Special powers: fiddle-dee-dee!)
Well there are two games running currently so you will need to wait until at least one is over and then see if there is an opening to be a mod.
Old 11-14-2006, 08:50 PM   #3606
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
First: Sorry, Fordy, but I'm in line before you. :P

Second: You? WW game? Preposterous.

Speaking of which...

I'd like to get an idea of how many people are interested and availabe to play in a WW game that will probably start around the Thanksgiving Holidays? Some of us 'mericans might be out of town, and I was curious how detrimental that would be to trying to do a WW game.

PM me or post here.

I'd also like to get an idea of what people prefer: a game with the for fun "roles" (such as "grave digger" and "Morrissey" and the like), a game with those roles in which players are supposed to stay in character, or a game without roles.

Finally, if anyone who was in line before me in the "old" list would like to jump ahead, feel free. The newer list seems to consist only of me, Folwren, and Fordim.

(And sorry if posting here right now is a major no-no. *tries not to look at WWJ game she is currently in*)
Durelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 08:35 AM   #3607
mormegil
Maundering Mage

mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Durelin, I would be interested though if it an in character game I'm out as they just don't interest me at all.
Old 11-15-2006, 08:39 AM   #3608
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

Location: In my luxury Barrow, snuggled up in a pile of satin pillows, eating fresh fruit.
Send a message via ICQ to JennyHallu Send a message via AIM to JennyHallu Send a message via MSN to JennyHallu Send a message via Yahoo to JennyHallu
Durelin I would be interested if "during the Thanksgiving holidays" meant started on Saturday or Sunday. I'll be setting up in a new location, and have people over for the holiday weekend.
Old 11-15-2006, 04:02 PM   #3609
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I'm flexible as to when exactly it starts. Basically, I expect there will be a bit of waiting to get enough players, even after Fea's game is complete. So perhaps it will not even start until after your company is long gone, Jenny. (Thanksgiving is way too close for comfort right now. Feels like the school year just started for me.)

Okay, so at least two people interested, and one person not interested in an in character game. I'm likely not going to go with the in character game, unless everyone else turns up really wanting one.
Old 11-16-2006, 03:46 AM   #3610
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
I'll play unless Noggie is going to have his three rangers junior-game at the same time (it's something I definitely don't want to miss).

We don't have Thanksgiving in Finland, so could someone enlighten me when it is this year (date)?
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 06:39 AM   #3611
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

November 23, you ungrateful Finn!!
Old 11-16-2006, 09:35 AM   #3612
Gil-Galad
Psyche of Prince Immortal

Location: Above a Parapet Obvious exits are: North, South, and Dennis
Gil-Galad has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via MSN to Gil-Galad
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyHallu
November 23, you ungrateful Finn!!
October 9th in Canada, November 23rd in America... What happens in the States doesn't mean its always the same for your cousin up north...
Old 11-16-2006, 05:37 PM   #3613
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalė

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Funny that Gil had time to answer casual things here but not the more widely-influencing ones on the junior thread where we have been wondering whether he will be modding the next game or not...

Well, I've PMd him and let's see.

I mean it should be a time for a junior-game next as Jenny's TiGJ is going to end in two Days and Fea's TiG-game will take undoubtly longer. But do we have a mod there in the TiGJ? Gil is next. I am the one following him and would be ready to go for it, but surely he should answer to our call first.

So Durelin, if you could wait for a day or two until Gil gives his answer so then we might make a deal between ourselves or let Gil take his game first (as it would be his turn)?
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 06:00 PM   #3614
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

I don't think anyone was trying to say it's the same everwhere, Gil-Galad.

Well, I'm not planning on starting anytime real soon...so whatever needs to be worked out, Nogrod.
Old 11-19-2006, 05:57 PM   #3615
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

I guess I'm going to wait until Gil's TiG Junior game has got enough players until I (officially) start sign up for mine.

(Question: is it really strictly one game per player? Not that I mean to bend any rules or anything... )

I'll give you some of the basics though:
  • There will not be adundant gifteds...at all.
  • The for fun 'characters' you choose will be for amusement and for my benefit in writing narrations..and just so this game could have some sort of theme. Playing in character is up to you.
  • I might be going back to how Night 1 was originally done (the wolves actually choose a kill). The benefits of this: a little more insanity and death, and possibly something more to go on on Day 1. Also, because of the nature of this game, it will actually be a very nerve-wracking choice for the wolves. The big negative: someone is guaranteed to be dead before they even get to do anything.
  • The setting will be a masquerade ball.
I have no preference for a start date at this point, but I'm thinking that the 27th or 28th (at the very earliest, I'd think) might work, if things fall into place by then. Or, I'm quite prepared to allow a gap between Fea's game (which is a very amusing read, I might add) and the next game.

As for Day/Night starting/ending times... Sometime between 5 and 9 pm EST? I know no matter what time it is, someone will be screwed over, and though I am quite willing to be flexible, school keeps me from being so (this new rotating schedule is killing me). I can probably do a much earlier end time, at about 10:45 am EST, and I can possibly manage times from about 2:50 pm to 5:00 pm EST (I can if need be, it's just a little less convenient).

So...let's work this out.

Oh, and here's a nifty Time Zone Converter for those of you who are lazy and don't like to do math (like me, even though I decided for some reason to take Calculus this year).

Do it by Time Zones
Or by Country

Edit: Just as a note, I'll just be doing sign-up on this thread.

Last edited by Durelin; 11-19-2006 at 06:30 PM.
Old 11-19-2006, 08:17 PM   #3616
Gil-Galad

ha ha sorry guys its always busy busy busy... but yeah i'l lget the game up as long as i have more people
Old 11-20-2006, 05:14 AM   #3617
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
So are the two games going to be running the same time?
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 10:01 AM   #3618
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Take your time, Gil.

Lommy - Gil is doing his WWJ game, I am doing (regular) Tol-in-Gaurhoth XXVII after Fea's game. So, yes, they will probably be running at the same time, as long as there are enough players. If there aren't...obviously one game is going to have to wait, and I'm quite willing to let mine wait.
Old 11-22-2006, 10:21 AM   #3619
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

My game will not run until after Gil-Galad's WWJ game is finished, or at least until enough people (everyone who wishes to play in my normal WW game; don't worry, you won't get screwed over for still being alive, hehe) are dead in his game. But don't you dare try to die. It's just, it's a fact of WW.

So, go sign up for Gil's game!

This is probably best to wait, anyway, because then we'll be past all the insanity of the Thanksgiving holidays for those who celebrate.
Old 11-25-2006, 05:36 PM   #3620
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Triple posting!

So, is everyone feeling like they need some time off from WW (meaning WWJ, too) right now? Well, that just means I'll have to drag people into this by their toes...

(And yes, I know I'm annoying.)
Old 11-25-2006, 06:30 PM   #3621
Farael
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: In hospitals, call rooms and (rarely) my apartment.
Farael has just left Hobbiton.
I would be interested in a game... if it starts after Dec. 13th (my last exam)... 'till then, I' m really busy. After that though, nothing better than a lynching mob to vent out my frustrations
Old 11-26-2006, 04:02 PM   #3622
Gil-Galad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farael
I would be interested in a game... if it starts after Dec. 13th (my last exam)... 'till then, I' m really busy. After that though, nothing better than a lynching mob to vent out my frustrations
it all depends on how many sign up, by the looks of it it probably will start up after December 13th, it may turn into a Christmas-style game and i'll make each of the deathes christmas-related

(candy cane impaled through chest and waht-not)

but we'll have to see.
Old 11-29-2006, 06:43 AM   #3623
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Shield

Ah, the difficulties of scheduling. Cailķn and I wish to book a place in a game during, say, the last part of December to the first part of January. It looks like Gil's game will fill up soon. Maybe Durelin's game will depend on the demand for festive werewolf.

How come people are busier over Christmas? It's a holiday!
Old 11-29-2006, 06:55 PM   #3624
Azaelia of Willowbottom
Shade of Carn Dūm

Azaelia of Willowbottom has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Azaelia of Willowbottom
Silmaril

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eomer of the Rohirrim
Ah, the difficulties of scheduling. Cailķn and I wish to book a place in a game during, say, the last part of December to the first part of January. It looks like Gil's game will fill up soon. Maybe Durelin's game will depend on the demand for festive werewolf.

How come people are busier over Christmas? It's a holiday!
I'd like to join a game in that late December-early January slot, too...Unfortunately, college is keeping me really busy until winter break. It's been forever since I played, too. Feels like I'm going through Werewolf withdrawal!
Old 12-07-2006, 02:10 PM   #3625
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I don't have time to play a game any time soon. But I would certainly appreciate it if it if someone told me who's modding after Durelin....and if no one is, then if I could...?

Actually, the most convenient thing for me would be if I could mod a game after New Years. Would it be possible to plan that? There should be time for at least two more games between now and then. Durelin could do a game and perhaps someone else. And if someone still comes in line before me by the time New Years rolls around, then they can have it. I just can't do it before then and I would like to do it before too long.

-- Folwren
Old 12-07-2006, 02:55 PM   #3626
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalė

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Actually, the most convenient thing for me would be if I could mod a game after New Years. Would it be possible to plan that? There should be time for at least two more games between now and then. Durelin could do a game and perhaps someone else.
With the speed these are going right now your hope is fulfilled already.

Gil-Galad is starting a game soon (in TiGJ) and then Durelin will mod here, after Gil's game (Durelin is in Gil's game herself). Then it would be my turn in TiGJ - and we might look then together whether we go one at the time or try simultaneous games (which I don't think will work). So at least two games before yours anyhow...
Old 12-07-2006, 06:52 PM   #3627
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Yes, things are a little slow lately in the WW department. I feel like I might be holding things up, but there really isn't a great number of people voicing interest in WW right now. Part of it is surely the holidays, I'd think.

Well, since quite a number of people dropped off the list, I think you get first dibs on a game after me, Foley. And then I think either Nogrod or Fordim (or both, heh) should be after you, if Nogrod is interested in doing a normal WW game, too (I know you were interested in doing a normal WW game at want point...), and if Fordy is still interested.

Perhaps we'll be lucky and Gil's game will get started a little earlier than planned... *is eager to do her game*
Old 12-07-2006, 09:02 PM   #3628
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
To be quite honest, I'm not sure I really understand why the TiGJ thread is active right now; WW seems to have been pretty slow lately, and originally the reason for the Jr. thread was because too many people wanted to play. Obviously there aren't enough people interested to be running two games right now. Wouldn't it be easier if everything could just be kept to this regular thread until more interest should pick up again? Just an idea...
Firefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 09:38 PM   #3629
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Apparently the reason for the WWJ thread has changed over time, from what you described, Firefoot, to a sort of a "novices'" game. But that's not exactly accurate either. I think it's really where the mod prefers to launch his/her game from. (shrugs) Now that WWJ exists, I don't think we're going to have much success in convincing folks to use this place unless there's enough interest for two games at once, unless the moderators temporarily want to close WWJ; but I doubt they deem it all that important.
littlemanpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 10:04 PM   #3630
mormegil
Maundering Mage

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemanpoet
I don't think we're going to have much success in convincing folks to use this place unless there's enough interest for two games at once, unless the moderators temporarily want to close WWJ; but I doubt they deem it all that important.
Oh, I don't know, I've been considering it now for a while and may do a bit of restructuting with WW and WWJ. I don't know if I'm satisfied with the current 'list' of mods in waiting. It seems that mods are never ready when their turn is up and then there is the shuffle everytime. I'm thinking of redoing that and closing WWJ as it has become apparant that there is still a good amount of interest in the games but not enough to host to game simultaneously. I've been mulling this over and will probably continue to for a bit but a decision will be made sooner or later.
Old 12-08-2006, 03:34 AM   #3631
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalė

It might be a good decision to move all the games here, to a single thread. It would be clearer and simpler. The modding lists just would have to be synchronised with justice. That is, unless Morm comes up with something completely dfferent that works.
Old 12-08-2006, 12:07 PM   #3632
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mormegil
Oh, I don't know, I've been considering it now for a while and may do a bit of restructuting with WW and WWJ. I don't know if I'm satisfied with the current 'list' of mods in waiting. It seems that mods are never ready when their turn is up and then there is the shuffle everytime.
Oh! Oh! Oh! I will be ready when it's my turn, I promise!

How do you think you'd re-do it, if you did re-do it?

-- Folwren
Old 12-08-2006, 12:32 PM   #3633
mormegil
Maundering Mage

Well, I was thinking of possibly doing away with the waiting list entirely though I'm not sure if that is the best solution. I know that this is how it was done in the early stages. Another idea I had is if there is a list it will be maintained by me and if it's your turn and you cannot do it within a specified amount of time you will be put to the end of the list.

Another thing I'd like to see is that when you are a moderator you do need to be committed to your game. I think that a large majority of them are and have been but it is incredibly frustrating from player stand point when you have a mod that is not committed and doesn't give everything needed for a great game.

What are some other ideas out there? I think I will be closing WWJ thread for a while and will attempt to be as judicious in the modding list as possible. I hope to not step on toes so I will probably be PMing those in the que before a decision is made.
Old 12-08-2006, 03:29 PM   #3634
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

As much as I think organization is important, I think perhaps it should be remembered that this is supposed to be a fun, laid back sort of game.

Of course it's nice when mods are "committed," but they can be plenty committed and just not have enough time to be as committed as some might like them to be.

WW has already strayed from its original feel: that is, a enjoyable game. If there is an over-abundance of rules and regs, I think it will take it away from that even further. And I think what made it especially fun is how much it's organized by the forum members who like the game as a whole.

I understand your moderator duties fall on this, mormegil, and I think you've been doing a great job, but I also know that you enjoy WW as a player...and I want to be able to keep enjoying it, along with everyone else who just want to have some (intelligent, but still silly enough) fun.

As for WWJ, I understand the concern there. But perhaps those responsible for initiating WWJ and keeping it going would like to shut it down themselves, or perhaps simply put it on hold? I think it's very likely they will see that it is no longer exactly needed. Interest and activity fluctuates, so perhaps it will have more of a need again in the future.

And if we do keep a mod list, in whatever form, perhaps those "lined up" for WWJ games should be moved to as equivalent a place on the WW mod list as possible.

Just my suggestions and opinions...
Old 12-08-2006, 05:15 PM   #3635
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots

It's not much fun if everyone is scrambling around trying to figure out what is going on and nothing is actually happening. Although I agree that occasionally in the past there has been a certain amount of taking the game too seriously.

On the mod list front: how about having a list where only two there are, no more, no less. That way we'd at least have some idea of who is coming up to mod but it would be (hopefully) close enough to the putative mod's game that they will know for sure if they can perform.
Old 12-08-2006, 05:31 PM   #3636
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

I haven't noticed a lot of scrambling around, personally. But I haven't exactly always been keeping up with WW very closely.

Right now we have an issue of not enough players (which I think has been the only real issue: in particular, coordination of two games with a more limited number of players than in the past); that's the only reason nothing is happening right now. If everyone would like me to go ahead and get on with my game, I can start sign up right away. I've been waiting because the previous WWJ game ended before the previous WW game. I guessed it would be a small game, and it is turning out that way, so it won't last very long once it gets going.

I continue to have a feeling that things will sort themselves out.

It might be time for WWJ to retire, though.

And as for a shorter mod-list - I think that seems like a good idea, though I do think even a lengthy mod list has been handled well. When people simply can't do it, or aren't around, people have tended to just move on to the next person. And it's not always bad for their to be a week or so in between each game, especially when not everyone is as enthusiastic about playing as they were *back in the day*.

(Sorry, it's just my personality tends to be "if it's not broken, don't fix it"...and I don't see things as really "broken.")
Old 12-08-2006, 06:50 PM   #3637
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots

By scrambling around I meant people signing up for multiple games not knowing when they would be starting, mods defaulting on their games, players not knowing when things are going to be happening.

I hate to cite myself as an example, but there have been a couple of times where I couldn't play because I wasn't sure of the start date or the start date changed on me. Undoubtedly, my perceptions are colored by experience.

Quote:
When people simply can't do it, or aren't around, people have tended to just move on to the next person.
Who often themselves were not expecting to be modding so soon which causes more chaos.
Old 12-08-2006, 06:57 PM   #3638
mormegil
Maundering Mage

What I was thinking is just adding a little more structure to the current system. I like the shorter Mod list idea and likely I will close WWJ until sometime in the future when WW demands requires two games at a time. I will wait until the game that is suppose to start, starts...if that doesn't happen soon though I will simply close it and move on with the WW game for Durelin.
Old 12-08-2006, 08:41 PM   #3639
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The bottom of the ocean, discussing philosophy with a giant squid
Meneltarmacil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Question

Sounds like a good idea for now, morm, though I'm wondering what happens to those who signed up to mod the next TiG Junior games. Do they get put on the short list here?
Old 12-08-2006, 09:04 PM   #3640
mormegil
Maundering Mage

I'm not sure. I'll need to see who is on the list and who is ready to mod soon. Durelin would obviously be next and then I'd need to see who has signed up, who hasn't modded yet, how long they've been on the list etc... If anybody happens to know the two lists and can post it here it would be appreciated.