The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-07-2002, 06:07 PM   #1
Lucy Fisher

Sting The Role of Fantasy

Hi, i'm focusing on 'the Hobbit' and 'LotR' at the moment, and looking at why someone would create such a fantastical world. Escapism for himself or his readers? What do you think? [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-07-2002, 06:22 PM   #2
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

VanimaEdhel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to VanimaEdhel Send a message via MSN to VanimaEdhel
Silmaril

I, personally, have been writing fantasy stories and making up worlds since before I can remember.

I, right now, am making a fanfiction called "The Lost Races of Arda: the Nymphs" about all of the elementals that Tolkien mentions come into existence at some places, but never elaborate on. Faeries will be included in this (as they are the most prominent "mysterious" elementals) and Sirens as well. I will probably do a brief history on other creatures...but that's a different topic all together.

I write these things for myself. Writing them includes coming up with full, speakable languages (which I'm not doing too poorly with for the Nymphs, considering I'm 15), and creating entire histories.

As I said, the writings are for myself. I probably will not show anyone the finished product ever. That is the case with all my stories (many unrelated to Tolkien) and screenplays (I've written a few of those). I am really afraid to show anyone. All of my writing is for me, as an escape from life.
Old 11-07-2002, 07:00 PM   #3
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Silmaril

Nooooooooo! I'm the only Diamond on this forum! Joking, joking. Welcome to the Downs. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

I can't speak for other people, of course, but one of the reasons I like writing fantasy is that I get to make up my own geography, history, culture, etc. for my story. And when I read fantasy, I get to read about other people's made up worlds. And that's cool. [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img] Fantasy really shows what is on a person's mind, because that person isn't limited by historical accuracy or any of those restraints.
Old 11-07-2002, 08:30 PM   #4
Mintyztwin
Wight

Mintyztwin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

It starts with an idea. (How cliche!) I'm writing a book that has taken on a life of its own, (It was originally a 1000 word assignment, and is now at 45 pages with an actual plot! [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] ) But I was under the impression Tolkien wrote the books so he had a place for his elvish languge. I would bet he just started by making up a people for his language, and it just kinda grew! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

But you, man of God, flee from all this, and pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, endurance, and gentleness. 1 Timothy 6:2
Mintyztwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2002, 03:47 PM   #5
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

im writing a fantasy at the moment, and im going into extensive detail over the background of the world (more extensive than tolkien!). i personally love fantastical worlds, and the idea that you can create your ideal world, and it is also to some degree a world where i can place myself, and escape from the world I live in. also, i have such an extensive imagination, everyhting i look at i change to my liking and ideal, so it seems a shame not to change the whole world in a book.
Old 11-08-2002, 10:13 PM   #6
Saurannûn the Wood Elf
Haunting Spirit

Saurannûn the Wood Elf has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Saurannûn the Wood Elf
Silmaril

Ever since I can remember, I have been fantacizing about different worlds that stretch the imagination! My stories aren't consistant enough to write (poo! they could be really good!), but they're enough to keep me busy. For the past 2 years, I've finally gotten a socail life, but I miss all my free time for imagining! [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] I wish I had time to LIVE, because imagination is all that is interesting in the world nowadays. Wells, in MY opinion anyways.
Old 11-08-2002, 11:14 PM   #7
DaughterofVana
Wight

DaughterofVana has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

As for Tolkien, I'm sure I read somewhere that his books started out for these reasons:

The Silmarillion--backround for his language
The Hobbit--story for his children, published on a whim
The LOTR--another "story about hobbits", developed over time which eventually ended up containing all three.

But I think it was more than that. Just writing a story to function as a "background" or an "escape from reality" gets a person only so far--it's like taking a train all the way across the country, expending huge amounts of energy to get to this specific spot on the earth... and then forgetting the reason why the journey was made in the first place and having no way to get back. An "escape from reality" or "a background" can be the INSPIRATION for a story, but not its entire reason for existing. Do that and you don't have a story... you have daydreaming. It all must have a reason, a struggle, a... POINT, I guess. And the more believable that struggle is, the more sucessful the story.

The reason I write... well, I write stories that I would like to read. That's why I started writing in the first place.

-'Vana

[ November 09, 2002: Message edited by: DaughterofVana ]

Hi! Did you miss me?
DaughterofVana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2002, 10:22 AM   #8
Sleeping Beauty
Wight

Location: Somewhere between the back of the chair and the monitor
Sleeping Beauty has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Sleeping Beauty Send a message via MSN to Sleeping Beauty Send a message via Yahoo to Sleeping Beauty
Tolkien

I imagine Tolkien escaped there in some point of his life to get away from things in this world. Could you imagine a world so rich in his mind? We have lots of images he and his son Christopher brought to us, no one had the intensity that he had. He named ever flower, the types of grass and trees, and every race. That must have been truly an expierence. But creating fantastical worlds and expierences is the only way to write fantasy. You cannot just base it in this world because there is no grounds for magic to happen. Magic is not the basis for this society, and unless you're just really darn good, you cannot make it seem like it. Besides, wouldn't it be a little odd for Gondor to sound something like like New York City? O_o;;;