The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2009, 06:27 PM   #3281
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwathagor View Post
Hm. I think it's Van Morrison's style of singing that puts me off of that album. I can only imagine it to be a taste which I have yet to acquire - perhaps in a few years, I'll be able to see the greatness of it. For the time being, however, I will most willingly concede to you that their take on 'I'll Tell Me Ma' is a very, very, very close second to the YD's version.
Well, as far as personal tastes go, I think Morrison's renditions of 'Carrickfergus', 'My Lagan Love' and 'She Moved through the Fair' are perhaps the most powerful and moving ever done. A lot of soul went into those songs.

And to get the thread back on track, I appreciate Kitanna's Alexander Pope quote.
Old 02-06-2009, 11:22 AM   #3282
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Thumbs up

Following one just brilliant quite, I have noticed a few quite good signatures at the Downs recently.

First, I should note Dury's which I just noticed:

Quote:
The fox knows many tricks, the hedgehog only one: but it is a good one.
~Archilochus
And Farael's:

Quote:
I prepared Explosive Runes this morning.
Which I have of course noticed already a very long time ago, but this time, it just struck me once again (yes, for about 6d6), simply because lately, my players have been using them excessively... (And by the way, nice to see you around, Farael - and hope to see you around more...)

However, the really, really BEST one, is this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gollum the Great's sig
Maximus: "Strength and Honour!"
Legionaries: "Strength and Honour!"
Ancient Germans: "Romano u bagronk sha pushdug Italiam glob bubhosh skai...
Fantastic, Gollum!!!
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 04:52 PM   #3283
Gollum the Great
Shade of Carn Dûm

Gollum the Great has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
Fantastic, Gollum!!!
Thanks, Legate. Gladiator is a classic.
Old 02-06-2009, 10:07 PM   #3284
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gollum the Great View Post
NO! "The Fall of the Roman Empire" is a classic, "Gladiator" is a remake. . .

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 05:25 PM   #3285
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gollum the Great View Post
Braveheart is better.

While I'm here I think that I'll nominate Lommy's signature. Very elvish (gosh, I've noticed I've been using that adjective a lot lately) with the mentioning of the see and all. Reminds me a lot of Scandinavia. Any chance that it is?
Old 02-08-2009, 01:04 AM   #3286
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groin Redbeard View Post
Braveheart is better.
WRONG. "Gladiator" is the single greatest movie in existence.
Old 02-08-2009, 11:38 AM   #3287
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
What about Fiddler On The Roof, Henry V, Gettysburg, Roostercgburn, 300, or The Dark Night? The acting and fighting is great for Gladiator, but the story line is a little too cheesy for me. Then again that is just me.
Old 02-08-2009, 11:43 AM   #3288
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
We're not here to discuss what the best films are. Besides, you're forgetting The Lord of the Rings by Backshi.
Old 02-08-2009, 11:56 AM   #3289
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookbill the Goomba View Post
Besides, you're forgetting The Lord of the Rings by Backshi.
Ha ha. No, I'm not.
Old 02-08-2009, 01:25 PM   #3290
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
While I'm here I think that I'll nominate Lommy's signature. Very elvish (gosh, I've noticed I've been using that adjective a lot lately) with the mentioning of the see and all. Reminds me a lot of Scandinavia. Any chance that it is?
Actually, don't ask me what exactly it is about. It does remind me of Scandinavia, a lot, and it's a sort of homecoming song, but by an English singer... so go figure.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 02:41 PM   #3291
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I like Wilwa's Douglas Adam's quote about the secret of flying.....

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 02:09 PM   #3292
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Ack! Mith beat me. Anyway, I was just going to say that Wilwa's sig never fails to make me chuckle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilwa's signature
"Flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams
Rikae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 08:18 PM   #3293
thewichtking
Animated Skeleton

thewichtking is still gossiping in the Green Dragon.
1420!

i like this one

(For want of a nail the shoe was lost; for want of a shoe the horse was lost; want of a horse the rider was lost; want of the rider the battle was lost; for want of a battle the kingdom was lost, and all for the want of a horseshoe nail)

bye "Groin Redbeard"
Old 03-19-2009, 08:43 AM   #3294
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Translation

What does your signature say, Lommy? I saw the word "finn" in there, so I'm guessing something patriotic.
Old 03-19-2009, 09:15 AM   #3295
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
1420!

My translation, as a person who can read only English and German:

Great you near hasty full I skin, scram ave heaven some bran, speaking something nice near, with I your way - there all something/ he hunts here, he hunts in the talk/ nice/ that Finns are something something me.

So what does it really mean, Lommy?*curious*
Old 03-19-2009, 09:45 AM   #3296
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Shield

I quite like Groin's

Quote:
No two men on this earth can ever be equally happy; liberty does not ensure equal happiness. Slavery is the only ideal where men can be equal: equally miserable.
Old 03-19-2009, 09:54 AM   #3297
skip spence
shadow of a doubt

skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikae View Post

Great you near hasty full I skin, scram ave heaven some bran, speaking something nice near, with I your way - there all something/ he hunts here, he hunts in the talk/ nice/ that Finns are something something me.

So what does it really mean, Lommy?*curious*
Haha. Pretty close, Rikae. But now I'm being too nice. Actually you didn't translate a single word correctly. Not one.

And no, the Finns aren't mentioned in the quote.

I'll leave the translation to Lommy though, because apparently the Swedish language has grown on her.
Old 03-19-2009, 11:01 AM   #3298
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikae
Nice, my two brothers speak German! But as a person who can speak English fluently (I’m so gifted) perhaps I could translate your translation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikae’s Translation
Great you near hasty full I skin,
if you come near, I’ll skin you quick!
Quote:
scram ave heaven some bran,
Get out of here, I’m having some cereal!
Quote:
speaking something nice near, with I your way
Near some nice speaking something in your way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikae
- there all something/ he hunts here, he hunts in the talk/ nice/ that Finns are something something me.
He hunts everything here with me and the nice talking blankety blank Finns.

So the Translation is:
I’ll kill you if you come near my cereal, and I'll have that nice speaking thing in your way hunt you and those nice talking blankety blank Finns.

That was loads of fun!
Old 03-19-2009, 11:39 AM   #3299
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

skip - from this I can conclude that the sig isn't written in a mix of tortured German and tortured English.

But I still think my translation has a certain air of mystery. Or psychosis. Or something.
Old 03-19-2009, 11:45 AM   #3300
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
I saw the word "finn" in there, so I'm guessing something patriotic.
Our word for Finland is not even close to yours. We live in Suomi, which might be derived from a word meaning a swamp or fish scale. There's also a verb suomia which means to whip, though, but it's a different matter.

Anyway I like Lommy's sig too. I've been humming it in my head for a few days although I don't even listen to Nordman.
Old 03-19-2009, 03:02 PM   #3301
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Yeah, skippy lets me translate so that he can laugh at my bad Swedish and correct my mistakes. (And as for my stance towards the language - it's incredibly silly but I'm quite fond of it after all. )

Nice translations, Rikae and Groin - I wonder, though, if the mentioned cereals have something to do with Kelloggs Multi Groin.

Alright, whatever, this is my approximate translation:

"You cried when the horses went wild*, scared of the sky that burned/ Crackling the night came close, in the middle of your way** - then everything disappeared/ I am here, I'm not afraid in the night/ There's something that scares me more"

*1) it took me a long time to find out what that part exactly means 2) I could translate it into Finnish but not into English, anyway, you get the idea...
** not sure about this part...
Old 03-19-2009, 03:19 PM   #3302
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Why did I not get "burned"? (lol) I should have known that one. As for heaven/sky, same thing. And I did get some words right: "You", "here", "in the", "something" and "me". So there.

That is an intriguing quote.

EDIT: And "all". And "your". And "way".

Last edited by Rikae; 03-19-2009 at 03:32 PM.
Old 03-19-2009, 03:55 PM   #3303
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Oh great, so I'm actually not the only one who immediately thought about translating it when seeing it

I wonder if I can find my "assumption for translation" I made a few days ago, yea, here it be (based just on the way I saw the text, you can check word-by-word, more or less. It's just the first half of it, though):

Quote:
Big you fire hurrying, falling and scanning, scratching to heaven his raven/Speaking cascades born upon, inside and in car - that all for swine.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Old 03-19-2009, 04:10 PM   #3304
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
I tried to translate it as:

Quote:
Thank you for the fell creature, scrambling of mountains [with] some bran/ Sparkling cascades [of] night near, ? in the way- Yes all forsworn...
... then I gave up and used Google Tanslate.

edit: x-ed with Legate (I forgot to click post and moved on to something else)
Old 03-19-2009, 04:14 PM   #3305
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Awwww cute everybody wanted to translate my sig.

*makes a mental note of using Swedish next time in Quotes in Other Languages*
Old 03-19-2009, 05:01 PM   #3306
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
Nice translations, Rikae and Groin - I wonder, though, if the mentioned cereals have something to do with Kelloggs Multi Groin.
Not unless it has bran in it!

So that's what your signature says! Funny, there's no mention of cereal in it. The signature does, however, remind me of the Balrog in Moria: all that talk about darkness and the crackling sky. Very nice sig!
Old 03-20-2009, 12:19 PM   #3307
skip spence
shadow of a doubt

skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Yeah, skippy lets me translate so that he can laugh at my bad Swedish and correct my mistakes.
That I will.
Quote:
"You cried when the horses went wild*, scared of the sky that burned/ Crackling the night came close, in the middle of your way** - then everything disappeared/ I am here, I'm not afraid in the night/ There's something that scares me more"

*1) it took me a long time to find out what that part exactly means 2) I could translate it into Finnish but not into English, anyway, you get the idea...
** not sure about this part...
I tried to translate the quote too, having the inside track here:

Did you cry when the horses ran amok, startled by the sky aflame / crackling the night was hurled down, barring you way – when all was lost / I am here, I’m not afraid tonight/ there are things that scare me more

There were only a few minor details you got wrong. Making the opening sentence a statement and not a question was a beginners mistake though. Shame on you!

The verb "skena" is widely used by the way, literally when horses run amok like in the example eg "skena iväg", "falla i sken" but it's also often used metaphorically as in "skenade bostadspriser".

What surprises me is the origin of the quote, Nordman. I certainly didn't recognise it myself, as I'd almost forgotten that band ever existed, and I only remember one song of them which came out some 15 years ago. I'm amazed young Finnish girls know of them.

Last edited by skip spence; 03-21-2009 at 07:53 AM. Reason: Don't ask
skip spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 12:48 PM   #3308
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skip spence View Post
I'm amazed young Finnish girls know of them.
We also listen to BWO.

Anyway I wouldn't know of Nordman if not for Lommy.

I love Nienna's sig. Hamlet is my favourite play ever.
Quote:
To die, to sleep; To sleep, perchance to dream
Old 03-22-2009, 01:44 PM   #3309
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip
Making the opening sentence a statement and not a question was a beginners mistake though. Shame on you!
The lack of a questionmark led me to erraneously conclude that it was just some poetic trick, not a question... And as a further excuse I haven't used Swedish to anything for almost half a year...

Quote:
Originally Posted by skippy
I'm amazed young Finnish girls know of them.
I stumbled upon them randomly in a library a long time ago and that one song got kind of stuck somewhere deep in my mind so a few days ago I went to YouTube to find it for fun and decided I quite like it.
Old 03-24-2009, 01:24 PM   #3310
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to wilwarin538
I greatly enjoy Izzy's sig:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy's sig
But I was clinging to her like a homicidal monkey.
Gotta love those monkeys....
Old 03-24-2009, 04:09 PM   #3311
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

I regret killing you now that you've put me in your sig.

If you just would've done it sooner...
Old 03-24-2009, 07:37 PM   #3312
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Willa's sig wins at 42. That is all.
satansaloser2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 12:41 PM   #3313
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Gotta love Lush's new signature:
Quote:
Feanor: I made me a gemstones, and iz awsum. Ceiling Cats: We can has Silmarils? Feanor: No can has. All mine. Melkor: Oh hai. I can has Simarils. Ur hed asplode now. Kthxbai! Feanor: Iz Morgoth! Killeded my father!
Lolcats rule! And combined with Tolkien - great idea!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 03:03 PM   #3314
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
I love Laurinque's signature! Very nice.

Eonwe's signature ["Well, I'm Back."] is very fitting, since he's been gone for a while.

Last edited by TheGreatElvenWarrior; 04-27-2009 at 03:18 PM.
TheGreatElvenWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 03:53 AM   #3315
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Ha, I just like Durelin's

Quote:
“Clap! Snap! the black crack! Grip, grab! Pinch, nab!
And down down to Goblin-town you go, my lad!”
Old 05-07-2009, 01:38 AM   #3316
Laurinquë
Shade of Carn Dûm

Laurinquë has been trapped in the Barrow!
Personally I like TheGreatElvenWarrior's "The Party Doesn't Start Until You're Dead." She made it up herself and didn't think it was any thing special until I pointed it out to her and said I wanted to make it my signature on the Barrow-Downs. Well of course then she had to rush over to the computer and make it her signature before I got a chance to take it. Unfair I call that. It's still a good sig though.
Laurinquë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 08:18 PM   #3317
Mnemosyne
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Mnemosyne Send a message via Yahoo to Mnemosyne
I am inordinately fond of Morth's latest:

Quote:
"A man who has never gone to school may steal from a freight car, but if he has a university education, he may steal the whole railroad." -- Theodore Roosevelt
Old 05-07-2009, 08:25 PM   #3318
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurinquë View Post
Personally I like TheGreatElvenWarrior's "The Party Doesn't Start Until You're Dead." She made it up herself and didn't think it was any thing special until I pointed it out to her and said I wanted to make it my signature on the Barrow-Downs. Well of course then she had to rush over to the computer and make it her signature before I got a chance to take it. Unfair I call that. It's still a good sig though.
Well, there was a computer right there for you to use, so I don't see what your problem is.
Old 05-12-2009, 08:57 AM   #3319
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Elempi's is amazing. It is so true.

Quote:
You will be healed in such a way that the harm done to you, and the suffering you endure, will become the stuff of your healing.
Old 05-12-2009, 11:37 AM   #3320
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnemosyne View Post
I am inordinately fond of Morth's latest:
Thanks Mnemo. Given the current rapaciousness of big business and their plutocratic executives, I thought Roosevelt's dictum is as appropriate now as it was a century ago. The more things change, the more they remain the same.

I appreciate Groin's William Tecumseh Sherman quote. Groin, have you read Lloyd Lewis's biography 'Sherman, Fighting Prophet'? An excellent, well-researched book, and not at all glorifying or patronizing.