The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-16-2008, 02:42 AM   #3001
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikae View Post
I like Nerwen's:
Seconded. It's hilarious

Well, what does it say - may there come a day when Downers have other Downers' words as quotes? I find it quite nice
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 04:18 AM   #3002
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Thanks. It comes from a recent thread in the Books section.
Old 02-16-2008, 07:40 AM   #3003
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurinquë View Post
I LOVE Rikae's signature, it is hilarious!

The number, which you selected, is imaginary. Please turn your telephone 90 degrees and try it again! *

*is that correct?
Yep.
I'm surprised how many people actually get that joke!
Rikae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 04:26 PM   #3004
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil-Galad View Post
i say. TheGreatElvenWarrior, where is your sig from?
Well, my signature comes from a comedian named Jeff Dunham. He talks to puppets, he's really funny... one of his puppets was talking about the city they were in.
Old 02-19-2008, 12:36 PM   #3005
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Not a big fan of toilet humor, but to each his own.

... aaanyway, I'd like to nominate McCaber's new sig:
Quote:
Originally Posted by McCaber's sig
"Eat the villagers, hold back none of your righteous fury, for if we are discovered they shall be upon us as soon as our backs are turned."
Rikae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 01:05 PM   #3006
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Yes, I noticed it as well - a nice one

Anyway, it seems this WW, for some inexplicable reasons, made a strong impression on people - looking at all the signatures and locations...
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Old 02-19-2008, 06:00 PM   #3007
McCaber
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

McCaber has been trapped in the Barrow!
Yes, I decided it was time the werewolves got some fire and brimstone of their own.

Although I'll probably have to change it for the next game.
McCaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 11:41 AM   #3008
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I think that Legate's signiture fits him very well!

Quote:
Criticising others, giving them an unwelcome feeling, can be done by anyone. Uplifting them and giving them a good feeling - that takes a special gift and spending effort.
Old 03-08-2008, 11:20 AM   #3009
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
a sig in time

I must compliment Mithalwen on her new sig. Very appropriate, timely, apropos. And a Tolkien ref to boot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen's new siggie
for those who have dwelt in the Blessed Realm live at once in both worlds, and against both the Seen and the Unseen they have great power.
Old 03-11-2008, 01:21 PM   #3010
Morai
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morai has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Morai Send a message via Yahoo to Morai Send a message via Skype™ to Morai
Boots Random Title #132

I'll have to nominate Estelyn's, and if it has been honored before, then I add my admiration.
Quote:
Tell me, who are you, alone, yourself and nameless?
One will have to look at the original sig to notice, but I like how the question mark is a link to what appears to be a profilish page. Aside from that, I like the rhythm and the depth of the words themselves.
Old 03-12-2008, 09:13 AM   #3011
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Thanks, Morai! Until recently rereading chapter VII of FotR, I wouldn't have known where to place that quote if someone else had used it. This time, it struck me forcibly and demanded to be looked at more closely. I find it amazing that there's always something new to discover in Tolkien's works. And yes, the question mark is a subtle link to my blog...
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 02:59 PM   #3012
Valesse
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Valesse has just left Hobbiton.
I could not stop giggling over The Sixth Wizard's latest signature. Perfect delivery, Sixth! I suppose at the very least not going to the dance freed up more time to train his pups.

Quote:
Since love and fear can hardly exist together, if we must choose between them, it is far safer to be feared than loved.

~Niccolo Machiavelli, who obviously couldn't get a date for the dance.
Old 03-27-2008, 11:35 AM   #3013
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I must nominate Curufin's:
Quote:
"Then Celegorm no more would stay/And Curufin smiled and turned away." ~The Lay of Lethian
As it's lovely and made me feel like reading the Lay of Leithian again. No time to do that for a while, though, unfortunately.
Old 03-31-2008, 04:48 AM   #3014
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Valier has had the same sig for a rather long time and it never fails to amuse me...

Quote:
Work fascinates me, I can sit and stare at it for hours.
It is so funny and true.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 01:26 PM   #3015
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
I must mention Bêthberry's signature here:
Quote:
He is surer of finding the way home in a blind night than the cats of Queen Beruthiel.
What a clever connection between Tolkien and Bb's cat-oriented blog!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Old 04-02-2008, 07:51 PM   #3016
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estelyn Telcontar View Post
I must mention Bêthberry's signature here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethberry
He is surer of finding the way home in a blind night than the cats of Queen Beruthiel.
What a clever connection between Tolkien and Bb's cat-oriented blog!
why, thank you, Ms Telcontar! To be honest, I took a page from your own sig--or, rather, a linking idea.

What? ? Yes, quite so.
Old 04-08-2008, 08:07 AM   #3017
Azaelia of Willowbottom
Shade of Carn Dûm

Azaelia of Willowbottom has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Azaelia of Willowbottom
Silmaril

I really like ArathornJax's:
Quote:
"At any minute it is what we are and are doing, not what we plan to be and do that counts."
JRR Tolkien in 6 October 1940 letter to Michael Tolkien
It's a good reminder, I think, and very wise. Good choice!
Old 04-11-2008, 02:13 PM   #3018
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

I just noticed Child's as pretty inspiring:

Quote:
If you're walking down the right path and you're willing to keep walking, eventually you'll make progress.
Old 04-13-2008, 12:46 PM   #3019
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I found Gwathagor's new signiture very interesting.

Quote:
"This is one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever."
Sigmund Freud, about the Irish
Even though I consider myself an American, my dad was origionally from Ireland before he moved to America and married my mom. So I guess, in Freud's opinion I would be half useless! I don't care much for Freud anyway.
Old 04-13-2008, 04:32 PM   #3020
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
Another Irishman!
Old 04-13-2008, 04:33 PM   #3021
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
Double Post

I also approve of Groin's signature. Charlton Heston was a good man. I didn't know he'd died.
Old 04-15-2008, 04:57 AM   #3022
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
I love Eonwe's:
Quote:
I·kal' antúlien an i·Eönwë Kalmo antúlien- Light has returned, for Eönwë Goldgleamer has returned
Flying Penguins? I think not
Follow that link (if it still works, admittedly I didn't check). Flying penguins indeed. My sister actually fell for that.
Old 04-15-2008, 06:18 AM   #3023
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I saw it and PMed lommie ASAP As you do....

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 09:52 AM   #3024
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
So, there are two signatures I've been in love with for some time...

I'm sure Guinevere's has been nominated already, but I find it lovely nonetheless. Mythopoeia is a beautiful poem.
Quote:
Yes! "wish-fulfilment dreams" we spin to cheat
our timid hearts, and ugly Fact defeat!
And Brinniel's:
Quote:
So sayeth death, the world is mine. Your daylight is but vein display-
Stars and moon sink in eternal night. So spricht das Tod, the world is mine.
Where is it from?
Old 04-15-2008, 03:46 PM   #3025
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Thanks. I got them from the lyrics of a Medieval Baebes song (which is one of my favourite music groups). They only sing lyrics from old poems and songs, so these lyrics are orginally from something else...I just don't know where. Anyways, here's the full song, in case you're curious:

So sayeth life, the world is mine
The flowers that bloom and the song of the birds
I am the daylight and the sunshine
So spricht das Leben, the world is mine

So sayeth death, the world is mine
Your daylight is but vein display
Stars and moon sink in eternal night
So spricht das Tod, the world is mine

You make great tombs of marble and stone
But love, you cannot entomb

So sayeth death, the world is mine
I have prepared a graveyard
And created pestilence and war
So spricht das Tod, the world is mine

Every grave is a plot of land
Into which my eternal seeds do fall
Old 04-15-2008, 04:10 PM   #3026
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Are they German? Or is the random use of it really just ... random?
Old 04-15-2008, 05:36 PM   #3027
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kath
Are they German? Or is the random use of it really just ... random?
The group is English. But they are known to sing their songs in many languages. I'm not sure why only a small part of the song is in German...I'd probably have to know where it originally came from to understand why..
Old 04-16-2008, 06:15 AM   #3028
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Interesting to see the use of German lyrics in that song; I did notice that there is a grammatical mistake that makes its way into your signature as well: it should be "So spricht der Tod", as death is male gender in German. "Leben", interestingly, is not female in juxtapostion, but neutral...
Old 04-17-2008, 02:51 PM   #3029
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I see that Gwathagor changed his mind about the Irish!
Old 04-17-2008, 02:53 PM   #3030
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Nah, there was another signature in between.
Old 04-17-2008, 09:44 PM   #3031
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via MSN to THE Ka
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinn
Medieval Baebes song (which is one of my favourite music groups).
Oooh!

Have you heard their ballad of Tam Lin? Amazing.

They also did some older ballads when they were Miranda Sex Garden, which are neat to hear. Plus, there is a few of their older songs in German, I think Katharine may have a liking for it just the same.
Anyways, I think that is awesome you have Mediaeval Baebes as a sig.

~ Ka
THE Ka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 01:22 PM   #3032
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esty
Interesting to see the use of German lyrics in that song; I did notice that there is a grammatical mistake that makes its way into your signature as well: it should be "So spricht der Tod", as death is male gender in German. "Leben", interestingly, is not female in juxtapostion, but neutral...
Hmm....well I have to admit my knowledge of German is little to nothing, so it's something I never noticed. I don't know if that mistake was a simple error or maybe an intentional mistake to fit in better with the song...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ka
Have you heard their ballad of Tam Lin? Amazing.

They also did some older ballads when they were Miranda Sex Garden, which are neat to hear. Plus, there is a few of their older songs in German, I think Katharine may have a liking for it just the same.
Anyways, I think that is awesome you have Mediaeval Baebes as a sig.
Yeah, I've heard of Tam Lin....I think I have almost all their cds. I haven't heard much of Miranda Sex Garden, but I think only the lead singer came from that group. Anyways, it's always good to find other fans of Medieval Baebes.
Old 04-22-2008, 01:20 AM   #3033
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
I'd like to nominate Mith's.

Quote:
Eonwe - I remember when we used to have seasons so ... to quote a wise Ent:
The world is changing: I feel it in the water, I feel it in the earth, and I smell it in the air.
Not only because I agree with it, but also because she has put a lovely quote to appropriate use...
Old 04-22-2008, 01:16 PM   #3034
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Sorry for double-posting, but I couldn't help smiling at Aganzir being cute
Quote:
Originally Posted by her sig
Unpredictable as weather
She's as flighty as a feather
She's a darling! She's a demon! She's a lamb!
so I just had to nominate it. What a lovely quote and all too fitting... except that she really isn't unpredictable at all.
Old 04-22-2008, 01:23 PM   #3035
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

But that was the best part of the song.
Old 04-29-2008, 06:11 AM   #3036
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Valier continues her tradition of funny little quotes:
Quote:
Never test the depth of the water with both feet.
Quite funny, but I still think the work-one is the best...
Old 04-29-2008, 12:32 PM   #3037
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Rune's signature made me laugh.
Quote:
Arise now, arise, Riders of Marx! Fell deeds awake: fire and slaughter! Spear shall be shaken, shield be splintered,a sword-day, a red day, ere the sun rises!
Also, I'm glad that Legate has changed his sig, because now I don't start humming Do Murder and Lust Make Me a Man? by Ordo Rosarius Equilibrio in my head anymore every time I visit the Downs.
Old 04-29-2008, 01:36 PM   #3038
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I see that Finduilas has changed her signiture, I liked her old one but I think that this new one is better.

Quote:
Blessed are those who have not seen and yet believe; blessed are the hands that keep giving, but never recieve; blessed is the heart that gets broken, but keeps going on, going on, for another day, 'cause that's what it means to live by faith.
Old 04-29-2008, 01:55 PM   #3039
Finduilas
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Home. Where rolling green hills and clear rivers are practically my backyard.
Finduilas is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groin Redbeard View Post
I see that Finduilas has changed her signiture, I liked her old one but I think that this new one is better.
Thank you! I felt like changing it, but couldn't think of anything, but then I had that stuck in my head for a few days, so I used it.
Old 04-30-2008, 10:28 AM   #3040
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
I want to give Mith's current sig a heads-up. RIP, dear Humph.